SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Spookypaws: Has anyone successfully tapered off zyprexa?

Spookypaws

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SP,

Just wondering if you have ever seen this topic Why taper?  There is a graph here which is believed to correspond (at least partially) to why you need to go slower the lower you go.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Spookypaws

• Meimeiquest

• Altostrata

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

I've moved up to 4 mg in my taper and have noticed sleeping is a problem. How do I know when I'm ready for another cut if I'm not sleeping?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Been on these meds since March 2015 the luvox since jan. 2015

Successfully tapered off klonopin 2 mg In June 2015.

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Spookypaws, 

Were you sleeping well before this last cut to 4 mg?  How long have you been at this dose?  Did you have any other symptoms associated with this cut?

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

No other symptoms with this cut. When I was on 4.5 mg I was sleeping fine. I've been on this dose for about 6 days.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spooky, 

I'm conferring with other mods on this and don't have an absolute answer for you, yet.  I am inclined to see this as a sign of destabilization from your last cut.  You could try a few things, if you so choose.  One would be to go back to 4.5 mg and see if your sleep recovers; then, make your next taper cut even smaller. Or you could updose less than that, perhaps 0.25 mg, and see if that does it. The other option is to hold at this dose a full month (which you should anyway) and see if the insomnia is a temporary symptom that resolves once your nervous system has adapted to the current dosage.  I would not hasten to cut again.  This is probably a signal that it is time to make your cuts less than 10%.  It gets trickier the closer we get to the end of a taper.

Insomnia is a well-known withdrawal symptom and we have a topic for it here:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with SG, maybe updose very slightly or hold until you are sleeping better. It is a signal that your last cut was too big, as you taper down the cuts should get progressively smaller. If I were you I would make smaller cuts to avoid the withdrawal insomnia. 

Sleep is important. I hope this insomnia is resolved quickly for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Brssmonkey added that the rate of tapering may be more important, still, so do not push the frequency.  It would be good for us to know how frequently you have been cutting so that we can take that into our general data bank, if you will :-)  If you were doing every 3 weeks, I'd go to five or six with periodic longer holds to allow your system to stay caught up.

Once people lose their ability to sleep, it is very difficult to get it back, so hopefully a little up-dose will help.  As mommaP said, sleep is so important in healing.  Definitely read the links in the post I listed above, especially about sleep hygiene, and try to refrain from trying a bunch of supplements and such - we seem to see that backfire on people for the most part.

SG

I've slept good these last few nights so I'm hoping I can just hold at 4 mg for now. I cut down to 4 mg from 4.5 mg after about a week. Quick I know I felt ready to do it though. I'll hold longer with this cut.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

So Spooky that is good news, and now you have the beginnings of a pattern.

Knowing your pattern in withdrawal - how many days of symptoms, how fast you recover - will help you in future tapers.  The symptoms might change, but you know how fast your system will adapt to the changes.

I'll hold longer with this cut. 

Good!  Hold at least a month, and longer if you are still getting symptoms.

You're beginning to see how this works - and once you see that you have some measure of control over your symptoms - you can choose your taper date to best fit your lifestyle and schedule.

The slow taper takes longer - but - it is possible to live and do and be while you are doing it, and once you get the doses down, you will notice how much better you feel, how much "yourself" you are.

There are 2 hard parts:  riding the symptoms, and being patient with the holds.  If you can do both of these, you can start feeling a lot better after the first few cuts.

Well done!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

I've slept good these last few nights so I'm hoping I can just hold at 4 mg for now. I cut down to 4 mg from 4.5 mg after about a week. Quick I know I felt ready to do it though. I'll hold longer with this cut.

Please follow JanCarol's suggestions here.  I was just reading another member's panicked post after tapering off her drug much too fast and having really bad withdrawal, and it simply isn't worth hastening the process when it can go so very wrong like that and be super hard to stabilize again.  I hope that you settle out on 4 mg and give it that full month to get solid before doing perhaps a 5% cut.  :-)

SG

Just a real quick question: I measure out 5ml of water for my taper and then add my 5mg pill. When it dissolves I mix it up and am left with just over 5ml of water + pill solution. When I siphon off 1 ml of liquid even though the cup says 5 ml I'm still only taking 4 ml right?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm a bit of a stickler on this subject.  The pill displaces volume, so technically what would be better is to measure out, say, 4 ml, add the pill and then bring the volume up to 5 ml.  This will give you a 1 mg/ml solution.  Otherwise, your concentration is 5 mg divided by final volume which is 5.x ml, x being the amount the pill displaced.

That said, if you ALWAYS make your solution the same way and then siphon off an amount, taking the rest, you'll be taking an amount of a consistent concentration of solution which is slightly less than 1 mg/ml.

Where you might get in trouble is if you started changing the volume that you are mixing the pill in.

Geez, I hope I haven't completely confused you, Spookypaws!  If you have been doing it this way for awhile, then stick with what you are doing!  If you've done it for a day, you might go to bringing the volume UP to 5 ml from here on out.  It's really about consistency.  Your nervous system doesn't care what the concentration is as long as your cuts aren't greatly larger than 10%.

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

I'll clarify in saying that when you have just over 5 ml of solution and you siphon off one ml and take the rest, you are taking just over 4ml of a solution that is just under 1 mg/ml.

SG

Well I saw my dr. Today and made the mistake of telling her how I'm tapering off zyprexa and she won't support me in this cause it's not medically proven and she says you don't know how much you're taking. The only thing she will do is prescribe me enough 2.5 mg pills to take everyday for a week, then every other day for a week then stop. I'm screwed I won't have enough to continue my taper, and I made another cut last night cause I felt ready to do so.

What am I gonna do?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi SP,

This is the same problem another member had recently.  Suggestions:  find a doctor who will prescribe what you need so you can continue a slow taper OR go back to this doctor and (unfortunately) lie and say that you have changed your mind and decided to stay on a higher dose.  Have a read of these for tips:

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I read of someone here who basically said "Do you want to be the doctor of record who cuts me off medication when I say I need just a little bit to stay stable?"

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I had a 30 day subscription waiting to get filled so I filled it. I'm good until my next appt which I'll lie and say I stopped trying to get off it was too much for me to handle. Hopefully she'll buy it.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Just an update, I'm down to 3.5 mg of zyprexa and sleeping fine. It's been 1 week and other than some mild anxiety which seems to pass quickly, I've had no side effects. It still takes me awhile to go to sleep, but I do sleep.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Yay!

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Another update, been on 3 mg for a week and doing fine. The lower I get the scarier it gets for me because I want to make sure I can sleep without the zyprexa.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Spookypaws, I'm a bit confused by your signature compared to your thread.  On May 7 you said you were on 3.5 and had been for a week, but your sig says 3.0 mg as of 5/4.  This last post says 3.0 mg as of around May 7? 

I'm concerned that you are tapering rather fast.  I wrote this on April 26:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9754-spookypaws-has-anyone-successfully-tapered-off-zyprexa/?p=222566

That last cut you made was 15% and that was a week after the last cut?  I strongly suggest that you should hold here for six weeks and let your system catch up, reassess.  

SG

Sorry I probably messed up my dates. I'll hold at 3.0 for a bit.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

ive just come off zyprexa successfully ,my story is in the success forum

i can be here to support you it can be done,the lower the doses the slower you will need to go though

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

i can be here to support you it can be done,the lower the doses the slower you will need to go though

Thanks Andy I read your story. I can't wait to be done with zyprexa. Do you find it hard to fall asleep? I sleep at night, but it takes awhile for me to go to sleep. That's why I'm scared, I had a really bad bout of insomnia that put me in the psych ward and on the zyprexa. My goal is to be off by the end of summer

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Thanks Andy I read your story. I can't wait to be done with zyprexa. Do you find it hard to fall asleep? I sleep at night, but it takes awhile for me to go to sleep. That's why I'm scared, I had a really bad bout of insomnia that put me in the psych ward and on the zyprexa. My goal is to be off by the end of summer

Hi Spooky ,before I dropped below 2.5mg I held for 4 months but also worked on my fear of insomnia,I got insomnia but I no longer feared it ,slowly my sleep returned to normal.After each drop I would get 3 days of no sleep but then it returned naturally and by 3 weeks I felt ok again,all withdrawal side effects gone.I get 7 - 6 hours per night ,sometimes I dont sleep well because of a stressful day at work but thats life and I just get on with it.What I can tell you is you will feel a million times better off zyprexa ,you will have more positive energy and any weight gain from the drug will come off naturally.

Good luck ,keep us informed on how you are getting on

2012 put on Citalopram and diazepam for 3 months for "depression" after filling in a 3 minute form at the doctors, had a massive reaction with panic attacks and extreme anxiety,never suffered panic attacks or anxiety before citalopram.Told to quit cold turkey which led to two hospital admissions during 2012/2013

December for 6 months Seroquel dosage adjusted up and down 50mg ,150mg ,100mg, caused severe tinnitus ,told to quit cold turkey

2013 January for 12 months Lorazapam given to me like sweets,told to quit cold turkey

2013 May Zoloft for 6 months ,told to quit cold turkey, reinstated 50mg tapered 2nd time over a month (to fast but I survived)messed up my sleep

Zyprexa April 2103 5mg until august 2014 ,dropped by doctor down to 2.5mg for one month went well but sleep was very poor for 3 weeks

End of 2015 I had to reinstate back up to 5mg due to constant insomnia that wouldnt go away Started a slow taper and found an understanding doctor who listened to me while I reduced
May 2016 drug free, sleeping and doing well in life again, it can be done http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12078-finally-off-zyprexa/

Thanks Andy,

I dropped down to 2.5 2 nights ago. So far so good. I don't plan on dropping again for a couple of weeks, I've got a trip coming up. How did you drop past 2.5? Did you cut the pill in half, quarters or what?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Hi S.P.   I'm concerned that you are tapering too fast. At the end of last month,  you had just tapered .5mg after only a week at 4.5mg . A little over 3 weeks later , you have just dropped to 2.5mg.

You were planning to hold at 4mg on the 27th April.

S.Girl expressed concern on the 16th May, and even though you had already dropped, you were going to hold at 3 mg.

Sorry I probably messed up my dates. I'll hold at 3.0 for a bit.

To do a slow taper can take longer, but it tends to " stick ". By this I mean if you taper the way that we recommend, by 10% with a 4-6 wk hold depending on symptoms, then you can keep this up with minimal symptoms and no need to updose. By rushing the process, it might seem that you are getting the drug out of your system sooner, but it can cause a relapse of symptoms in a big way . Insomnia can re- emerge, and the sleep cycle can be thrown into chaos. 

If you take it slowly, it gives you a chance to have a life as you're tapering. Wouldn't you prefer to be stable, sleeping and functional as you do this?  That is the ideal scenario, and one that is achievable.

Either way, it's going to take a while but as I see it you can do it the easy way or the hard way. Tapering too quickly can exacerbate and prolong the whole process. 

You've come a long way, but if you could take it slow, I think you will reap the rewards.

The slowness of slow tapers

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Thanks Ali, I appreciate the advice. I'm seriously going to hold at 2.5 for a bit, I want to get used to it. I've been sleeping ok that's why I felt I was able to make the cuts.

Any advice on how to make the cut from 2.5 ? Liquid titration or cutting the pills in half?

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

Hi SP.  I would hold for a couple of months at least to let your system catch up with the drops. When you are ready to taper further, you can either get a compounded liquid, or make your own liquid suspension  or rather than switch to totally liquid, you could take part of your dose in liquid and part dose in tablet or capsules gradually converting to all - liquid as you get lower in dose. This is convenient and can reduce any problems switching from one form of drug to another.

This link explains further :

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3743-tips-for-tapering-off-zyprexa-olanzapine/

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

• 1 month later...

Well just a quick update I dropped down to 1 mg after going a week at 2 mg and then a week at 1.5 mg. I know I'm gonna get bashed for it. I didn't sleep last night just laid in bed quietly, I guess all the dropping so fast has caught up with me. So now I'm stuck in a connundrum; do I updose a tick to see if it helps tonight, do I just hold at 1 mg to see if I sleep tonight? I read some other threads on the forum and particularly Paul2014 said high doses of melatonin helped him get off the zyprexa and sleep.

So please advise on what I should do, I don't want another sleepless night.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Not sure what you are looking for, SP, since you haven't taken our suggestions, dropping by 40% since May 22.  Your choices are to hold and wait for stability to return, or up-dose slightly and then hold there for a good long time, not just a week or two.  

SG

I know I dropped really fast and I'm sorry I did, I was feeling like I could do it so I did it. I'm just wondering if it's smarter to updose or hold and try adding melatonin to what I'm on. Please don't write me off I really need support coming off this vile drug and maintaining my sleep.

Trazadone 200 mg

Luvox 200 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Your best bet is to up-dose and try to recover sleep that way than to try to add more stuff to the equation trying to get better sleep. I would go back to 1.5 mg and give it four days to reach a steady state in the blood before making a determination as to whether that is working or not.

Melatonin helps people fall asleep, perhaps, but doesn't keep you asleep.  See Melatonin and Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

SG

SP. Just an added note to be careful with Melatonin.  Please start low - as it is often more effective with less side effects at the low dose.

Quote ( Alto ) from that thread.

"Large doses of melatonin do NOT aid sleep -- they might cause your oversensitive brain to wake up, instead. I found when I took more than 2mg of melatonin, I was weepy in the morning. If you get this or a paradoxical reaction (waking) or are dopey in the morning, it's a sign you're taking too much."

I also had that experience when I took 3 mg. It was too much and I was depressed and teary the next day. After cutting down to .50mg I had success. 

Here's how to re-establish your sleep cycle with melatonin:

- Start with .25mg-.50mg melatonin for 3-4 days.

- Take at the same time, nightfall (but, given that it's summer, not later than 8 p.m.), every night.

- If needed, gradually increase by .25mg for 3-4 days at a time.

- Use the lowest effective dose.

- Try to turn lights off or keep lights low after sundown. Your bedroom should be quiet and dark. Darkness triggers natural melatonin production. Artificial lighting, including staring into the computer, can give the wrong signal to your pineal gland.

- Keep to a very regular schedule -- this is what your circadian rhythm needs.

- Do NOT take melatonin regularly at any time but nightfall or you might scramble your sleep-wake cycle.

Ali

• Moderator Emeritus

Spooky, I learned recently that racing to get to 0 mg and ignoring advice to the contrary is very, very common with drugs like Zyprexa (neuroleptics, anti-psychotics).  There are at least 2 other members here at SA who have raced to 0 despite advice to slow down and they got hit with some very intense withdrawal symptoms. You could almost consider this insistence to go fast a symptom either of the drug or of withdrawal. 

It's a very good thing that you've decided to slow down and are looking to calibrate with an updose. I hope that you'll protect your well-being by holding 4-5 days to see what happens with your symptoms before making any changes.

Keep us informed on how it's going for you.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Spooky - how are you going?  Have you been holding?  Improving?

Let us know how you are!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!