Overstimulation: Increased sensitivity to light, noise, sound, exercise etc

machawolf

• Moderator Emeritus

I've always had problems being under fluorescent lighting, at first its a subtle feeling like my perceptions are a bit wrong, there's a slight shift in the way things look and sound. Over time it makes me tired and irritated, then I get anxious and usually end up with a headache. This was my daily experience of being at school when I was a kid.

But we also had some of that strip fluorescent lighting in some of the rooms at home, so it wasn't much better there.

Of course its now much worse being in withdrawal, that's why grocery shopping is so difficult I guess. I don't have any fluorescent bulbs in the house.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Does anyone find social stimulation very upsetting? My limit seems to be one hour of being able to talk to someone or be in a group setting before I become extremely agitated. Then my response is to cry or feel very angry, perhaps due to a flight or fight activation within me from the social activity? I hardly recognize this person I've become. I used to love being with friends. Now it just upsets me too much. Will this get better? Can anyone relate?

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

May 31st took last of prozac. Lithium 300 mg, estrogen patch 150, magnesium.

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 15 decreased 50 mg of lithium to see if it improved low heart rate.

July 19th - increased prozac to 1.5mg.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Continuing 250 lithium, 1.25mg prozac, estrogen.

Oct 31st - continued 250 lithium, 1 mg prozac, estrogen patch.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

I certainly felt that way, but sensitivity to both social stimulation and noises have gotten much better. Not back to normal, but better. Hope time heals your issues, Help777.

Diagnosed w/ ADD and minor depression in 1990. Fluoxetine 20 mg/day. Also methylphenidate, but hated it and quit after about a week. Quit fluoxetine cold turkey (ignorance) 18 January 2013. Experienced brain zaps, flu symptoms, heart palpitations. Nothing after August 2013. Mirtazapine 15 mg/day for sleep beginning around 1999. Began tapering August 2013.  As of March 2015 I'm off mirtazapine and antidepressant free. Don't sleep well after sunrise, feel anxious and sad some of the time, still have tinnitus. Still occasionally take lorazepam for anxiety but never more than 1 mg.  Prescribed metoprolol (beta blocker) for atrial fibrillation diagnosed June 2013. Medical  opinion (two cardiologists) is that it's not caused by fluoxetine w/drawal and is a dangerous, chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. As of Aug 2013 heart palpitations for the most part ceased. Tapered beta blocker and am off of it as of Jan 2015. No wd symptoms or recurring afib at all so far. Maybe it was wd after all, but doctors don't think so, surprise surprise. However, a small victory: the last doctor I related this to shrugged her shoulders. Getting lots of exercise, which has me physically pretty robust at age 71 in spite of persistence of mirt wd symptoms, mainly insomnia and anxiety, but also jaw-clenching annoyance at noises of a certain pitch and timbre. Incessant media fixation on the presidential campaign has ruined my disposition and my faith in the future. My Introduction.

I couldn't find anything on social stimulation on SA...just overstim to light, sound. Yesterday was my first group social outing. It was a bbq for my son's sports team. I shouldn't have stayed for four hours. I felt some fatigue, anxiety while there but I thought I would be ok. I came home and cried, sobbed, couldn't calm down. Slept worse than usual. Woke up feeling more panic and anger and agitation. Why would I cope ok during the event but unravel afterwards, taking a long time to recover frim this? It helps to hear others suggestions and experience. Thank you.

May 12th 2016 took last bead of effexor. 8 month taper.  Bridge = prozac 5mg, 300mg Lithium

June 14th reinstated 1mg Prozac due to intolerable emotional distress. Cont with lithium 300mg, 150 magnesium, re added omega 3, cont estrogen patch. June 15-july 5th had marked improvement of emotional wd symptoms, likely due to the reinstatement. July 5th intense emotional symptoms returned.

July 22 marked improvement of emotional symptoms...again, likely due to increase of prozac. However sudden agitation developed so decreased back down to 1.25mg prozac. Realizing increasing dose is dangerous because of these adverse effects and also seeing that wave is inevitable regardless of reinstatement.

Jan 2018  - off of prozac (bridge) as of Dec 2017.  Starting to taper Lithium 250 mg.  Will do 10% per month. 

May 2018 - lithium 115mg.  Still having waves but they aren’t as bad.  However, I really struggle with emotional symptoms about 1 week after a cut. 

dec 2018- 80mg lithium.  Tapering 1 mg per week since last June.  Symptoms improving overall but still very sensitive to light, sound, social stimulation and I cry a lot.

March 2019 - 65 mg lithium.  Still tapering 1mg per week.  Jan 2021- down to 4 mg lithium (get it compounded). Reinstated 5 mg Prozac. Jan 2023- withdraw 5mg prozac over one month Feb 20th 2023- reinstated 1mg Prozac. Still taking 4 mg lithium. 

Hi Help777,

I am having this issue right now too. Some days are better than others but it is bad enough that I mostly just stay in my house where I don't have much stimulation of any kind. My response to what feels like excess stimulus is anxiety and crying. Of course frustration too because I want my life back. I just keep trying to hold on to responses like Ibid's that things will get better in time. 

My psychologist told me that when we are hypersensitive and we are out the sensations become cumulative so you may start out ok but over time it just gets to be too much. This made sense to me but it is hard to know when we are reaching our limit.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

I found this on psychologytoday.com and it helped me understand why it feels so upsetting to me to get overstimulated. Wondered if it would help others as well.

The second source of anxiety is over-stimulation. While anyone can become over-stimulated without being ill or injured, brain injury in particular highlights this anxiety response clearly. Our brains filter stimuli, focusing our awareness. When a person experiences a brain injury he may feel as if his ability to filter stimuli has gone haywire — as if he is in unmanageable contact with every source of stimulation, no matter how ordinary. Noise, music, conversation, touch, odors, sights can all feel overwhelming, and be experienced as too intense, uncontrollable and painful.

Stimulation winds us up and continuous stimulation keeps us wound up. The wind-up is physical as well as psychological. Muscles tighten into knots. Shoulders hunch. Our brains begin to hard wire patterns of response. Anxiety grows. We cope by becoming more and more alert. There is a pervasive but undefined sense that something is wrong and about to get much more wrong unless we "do something". We don't know what to do exactly and alertness increases as we try to figure out what we must do. We respond with alertness because we believe that if only we pay more attention and anticipate what will go wrong, the unknown threat will be averted. The problem with this approach, of course, is that the more alert we become, the more susceptible to over stimulation we become, and thus the our resulting anxiety becomes. Not the other way around. It's not preventing the undefined threat that will help us. What helps us is reducing the stimulation that initiated the wind-up in the first place.

• Administrator

If there was a lot of noise, light, motion, shouting, etc. at this sports event, it could well be overstimulating.

If you're light-sensitive, you may wish to wear dark glasses whenever you're outside.

What is the link to that psychologytoday.com article? It's a good description of the mechanics of overstimulation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

I read this yesterday in the Limbic Kindling thread.  It goes a long way towards explaining increased sensitivity in w/d. 

The original link to the full article is broken, but Alto had later quoted this from the article:

It’s one of the most exciting concepts in neuroscience you’ve never heard of. And it’s becoming a key model being examined as a possible theoretical basis for Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Recently, a leading researcher in CFS/ME, Dr Leonard Jason, has argued it provides a comprehensive model to explain CFS as well
Limbic  kindling  is  a  condition  where  either   repeated  neurological  exposure  to   initially  chronic  sub-­threshold  stimulus,  or  a  short-­term  high  intensity  stimulus  (eg   brain  trauma),  can  eventually  lead  to  persistent   hypersensitivity  to  the  stimulus.  

Kindling  was  originally  discovered  in  1967   by  Graham  Goddard,  who  was  studying   the  effects  of  electrical  stimulation  of  the   amygdaloid  complex  in  the  brain  in  learning   in  rats.(1)  He  found  that  after  long-­term,  low   intensity  intermittent  stimulation  from  electric   shocks  to  their  brains,  the  rats  began  to  have  spontaneous,  epileptic-­like  seizures  –  even   when  no  stimulation  was  given.  Goddard  also   found  he  could  create  similar  reactions  using   chemical  stimulation.

In  1970,  Gellhorn  suggested  that   under  prolonged  stimulation  of  the  limbic-­ hypothalamic-­pituitary  axis,  a  lowered   threshold  for  activation  could  occur.(2)  Girdano   et  al  in  1990  proposed  that  the  excessive   arousal  could  lead  to  an  increase  in  dendrites   of  the  limbic  system,  which  can  further   increase  limbic  stimulation  and  hypersensitivity   to  stimuli.(3)

Ashok Gupta was the first to propose a similar  theory  as  the  basis  for  CFS/ME  in   2002.(4)  (A  diagram  from  his  paper  is  below).   Based  on  the  work  of  Le  Doux  in  the  ‘90s  (5),   Gupta  suggested  that  an  infectious,  chemical   or  psychological  stressor  could  create  a  “cell   assembly”  within  the  unconscious  amygdala   and  that  these  cell  populations  are  particularly   resistant  to  extinction.  As  with  Goddard  and   Gellhorn,  this  again  implied  that  people  could   become  “hard-­wired”  to  respond  more  easily to stimuli and in turn find it more difficult to suppress the chronic stress or "fight or flight" response  established  by  Selye’s  classic   model  of  stress.(3-­5)

Where  limbic  kindling  takes  our   understanding  of  stress  to  new  levels  is  the   idea  that  this  kindling  leads  to  “hard-­wiring”   in  the  brain  for  an  unhealthy  response   to  stress.  This  was  boosted  by  a  2002   paper  in  the  British  Journal  of  Psychiatry,   where  a  systemic  review  of  brain  images   of  patients  with  PTSD  found  “increased   activation  of  the  amygdala  after  symptom   provocation”.(6)

In  2009,  Dr  Leonard  Jason  and   colleagues  suggested  that  chronic  long-­ term  hyperarousal  of  the  central  nervous   system  –  from  this  “kindling”  –  leads  to   chronic  sympathetic  nervous  system   arousal....

And these following links by GiaK are really encouraging: 

I posted the above PDF on Beyond Meds today...

these are my comments from that post:

This is a very interesting article. It’s in keeping with my posts on how the autonomic nervous system is impacted in psychiatric drug withdrawal and how that is similar in many different chronic illnesses. This piece goes into a deeper understanding of these issues.

The author concludes that healing from these illnesses requires tending to the whole body/mind/spirit complex. This has become very clear to me as I continue to heal.

Frankly it’s also clear to me that understanding a whole host of chronic illnesses from this perspective could change the face of medicine. Right now western medicine tends to treat these illnesses in ways that exacerbate them in the long run because they are only treating symptoms without an understanding of underlying issues.  Most MDs are completely clueless about all the factors mentioned in this article and are even dangerous for many of us. See:  We can know more about our bodies than our MDs do…trust that, develop it

This is the greatest and most profound lesson this illness has taught me. Having and healing from these illnesses offer a penetrating look into the nature of humans as holistic beings that exist as part of the world and greater universe.

So to repeat my mantra meme, Everything Matters. This idea also got extended into my memoir on Mad in AmericaMy healing has continued greatly since the writing of that article. See: I Actually Woke up This Morning Thinking I’d Arrived, I’m Well . . .

see post here: http://wp.me/p5nnb-aLI

Follow those links in GiaK's blog to find the stuff on ways to heal these things.  Particularly a type of meditation called Brainsculpting.  I spent most of yesterday learning about it, because it's such a hope-filled understanding. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

KarenB

Thank you very much for posting this. I had a look at Limbic Kindling. Finding it really difficult to understand but that mostly because of my brain tonight I am so Very tired.

I am very sensitive to sound , not as much to light. Its like this for me since 2014. I was on a lot of meds. Tapered. Cross tapered. Cold turkey. Sheer hell. It has got better . A wee bit .

Mind you , I was out for a while today with my daughter. The noise and heat in the shopping centre increased my physical pain so much. It was indeed really difficult and we had to go home. I do have a long road ahead of me.

Antidepressants (1990 - 2013 ) intermittent prescribed use.

Lexapro Cymbalta Lithium Abilify Lamictal ( 2013 - 2014 )

Xanax crossed over to Valium ( 2013 - 2015 )

Stilnoct ( Ambien) (2014 )

I have come off all of the above medications .

Since January 2014 , I have been experiencing massive physical pain daily and consistently. Nerve pain, Paresthesia Muscle twitching ,Electric type shocks. Debilitating pain. Mental symptoms slightly improved.

Currently tapering Seroquel 25 mgs since February 1 2016.

August 23 2016 : JUMPED at 3.125 mgs (crumbs) - I AM MEDICATION FREE.

Physical pain - muscle knots and nerve continues . Stiffness slightly decreased. Mental symptoms , sleep improving.

Supplements : Magnesium 450g , Omega 3 fish oil , Evening primrose oil and probiotic.

I try to Exercise daily but due to pain levels and 'exercise intolerance' it is extremely difficult.

Hi AR2003,

I'm sorry to hear that you are still so sensitive. Are you able to get out much or does it keep you mostly housebound?

I hope you are feeling better since you got home.

The Limbic Kindling is fascinating. My pdoc is an addicitonologist and told me that a person who is an alcoholic for a really long time and then goes off has and easier withdrawal than a person who goes off and on repeatedly. I asked if he though that applied to psych meds and he said he did, even if it has been years since they were last exposed. Scary stuff.

Buspirone to 45mg, Cold Turkey St. John's Wort 600mg Jan 1, 2016. Cold Turkey Buproprion 150SR June 1 due to severe Akathisia that did not decrease with reducing the dosage.

Clonazepam 1.25mg, started daily liquid micro taper of clonazepam on Nov 1, 2016. Changed to sxs based taper 01/17. Slow and steady

11/10/16 .4104 3X day; 11/17/16 .4091 3x day; 11/28/16 .406 3x day; 12/4/16 .404 3x day; 12/11/16 .4028 3x

01/12/17 .39267 3x day holding; 02/25/17 .3902 3x day, holding. .3823mg 3x day. Tapering at .0007462mg as able;  09/21/18 .3542mg 3x day.  1/3/2019 .339mg 3x day. 6/25/19 .3307mg 3x day. 8/24/19 .317mg 3x day 2/13/20 .2886mg 3x day 3/18/21 .2388mg 3x day 06/17/21 .2239mg 3x day 09/13/22 .1682 3x day

L-theanine 200 mg, L-glycine 500mg 1x day and 1000mg 1x day, vit C 1000 mg sustained release 2x day. Fish oil 1800mg EPA + DHA. Vit E 400 IU, magnesium in various forms. Inositol 3x a day abt 14mg, Taurine 500mg.

5/20/16 Using Cranial Eletrotherapy Stimulation. 2x day 1 hour at level 1. Using Alph-Stim AID. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It's not just your brain AR, it is hard to understand.  I had to read it through a few times, and then resorted to my fall back method of making notes, in order to get my head around it.  I usually back off from complicated things, but I do put a lot of store by info from GiaK (Beyond Meds), so I wanted to at least try, and I'm glad I did. 

I've been trying out the neuro-sculpting meditation yesterday and today, and I quite like it.  Am hoping to reduce my sensitivities even a little bit, in order to get through w/d in a more robust way - and I figure this can't hurt. 

Sounds like you have it pretty rough AR, but do keep plugging away at it.  I always think that one step closer to healing is better than no steps closer. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

Here is the link. It was written with post injury recovery in mind. I'm sure our brains were injured. https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/healing-possibility/201111/anxiety-modern-plague

There was not a lot of noise at the event. Lots of light and social interaction. I'm still not recovered from it. Maybe it's another wave? If so this has been the worst one yet. Hard to make sense of this.

All I want to do is cry in a dark room and then try to be still. I force myself to get up but the. I am triggered.

• Administrator

Your body is telling you to stay in a dark room for a bit and avoid stimulation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi Karen,

I see you said that you have been trying out the neuro-sculpting meditation. Is it a product that you bought or is it something you found on youtube? It looks really interesting. Hope it is helping you.

Thanks

• Administrator

merged similar topics

• Moderator Emeritus

I didn't buy anything, I just browsed around BeyondMeds and found a radio interview about it, in which the teacher takes the listeners through a guided meditation.  She also explains how/why it works, which I found very useful.  From there I have just been doing it on my own.

8 month hold.

Hi tntd

Thank you. For the last 6 months , I have been about the house mostly. The leg/buttock pain practically prevents me from driving much now. It is in my lumbar spine too. Muscle knots nerve pain. I feel a bit better when I'm back at home. My Cns does get ramped up badly to this day.

Does the same happen to you ?

KarenB

Thank you. I will keep going. And I'll keep reading here. It's great to have somewhere to turn to when one is very low. I have read some of Gia's posts and Beyond Meds. When things were really awful , I would read them and tell myself that in time I would heal from this pain and other symptoms.

Since January 2014 , I have been experiencing massive physical pain daily and consistently. Nerve pain, Paresthesia Muscle twitching ,Electric type shocks. Debilitating pain. Mental symptoms slightly improved.

Physical pain - muscle knots and nerve continues . Stiffness slightly decreased. Mental symptoms , sleep improving.

Supplements : Magnesium 450g , Omega 3 fish oil , Evening primrose oil and probiotic.

I try to Exercise daily but due to pain levels and 'exercise intolerance' it is extremely difficult.

Hi Karen,

Thanks, I'll have to look around BeyondMeds and see if I can find it. It's such a great site I'm sure I'll find way too many interesting things and have way to many tabs open afterwards :)

Hi AR,

I'm sorry to hear it has been so bad for you. I can't imagine having all that pain for so long. 

I'm mostly in the house too but it is due to the anxiety. Just the thought of going outside makes my anxiety skyrocket. I even have to keep my shades drawn to keep the anxiety down. If I'm in a window there is no problem but I still have to be careful of the overstimulation or I end up back where I was.

Hi tntd

I am sorry that you are suffering from this anxiety and cannot get out so much. This is a really difficult process.

I hope you will find that you get more windows as time goes on.

Thanks AR,

I appreciate it.

Can someone please tell me if you have experienced over stimulation and unsteadyness when bending down.

Last night I experienced weird head feeling and woke up in the morning feeling weird. I felt groggy out of balance and when I bend down, I feel like I am going to pass out, loosing balance.

When I bend down or have to look at something above for longer periods I get this weird head feeling. I have to stop what I am doing because I start to feel weird and out of balance.

Is this over stimulation?

Thank you.

DRUG HISTORY:

November 2013- Zoloft, ( Bad reaction).

January 2014 - March 2014 Seroquel.( Quit Cold Turkey).

January2014- Mirtazapine, I was taking 15mg at one stage, reduced to 7.5mg, Pgad reactions to Mirtazapine. Doctor kept increasing it to 37.5mg, until July 2014. No improvement, experiencing panic attacks, on 37.5 mg. I had enough by October 2014. Began tapering.

October 2014- Started tapering Mirtazapine from 37.5mg.

September 2015- Down to 4mg of Mirtazapine. Crashed.

September 16th- Up dosed to 5mg. Held this dose for almost 5 months. Stabilised.

February 2016- Began tapering again. From 5mg to 4.5mg of Mirtazapine. (Rocking the boat, again)! Lol. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Just read this http://www.intellectualtakeout.org/blog/silence-very-important-our-brains, which suggests that substantial periods of silence help the process of brain cell regeneration. So maybe these kinds of sensitivity (to sound especially) are telling us something about what our brains need to recover from WD. If true (and it is based only on animal data), the ability to embrace silence, or to block out noise, has to be one of the benefits of meditation and other methods of separating ourselves from the cacophonies of everyday life.

Diagnosed w/ ADD and minor depression in 1990. Fluoxetine 20 mg/day. Also methylphenidate, but hated it and quit after about a week. Quit fluoxetine cold turkey (ignorance) 18 January 2013. Experienced brain zaps, flu symptoms, heart palpitations. Nothing after August 2013. Mirtazapine 15 mg/day for sleep beginning around 1999. Began tapering August 2013.  As of March 2015 I'm off mirtazapine and antidepressant free. Don't sleep well after sunrise, feel anxious and sad some of the time, still have tinnitus. Still occasionally take lorazepam for anxiety but never more than 1 mg.  Prescribed metoprolol (beta blocker) for atrial fibrillation diagnosed June 2013. Medical  opinion (two cardiologists) is that it's not caused by fluoxetine w/drawal and is a dangerous, chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. As of Aug 2013 heart palpitations for the most part ceased. Tapered beta blocker and am off of it as of Jan 2015. No wd symptoms or recurring afib at all so far. Maybe it was wd after all, but doctors don't think so, surprise surprise. However, a small victory: the last doctor I related this to shrugged her shoulders. Getting lots of exercise, which has me physically pretty robust at age 71 in spite of persistence of mirt wd symptoms, mainly insomnia and anxiety, but also jaw-clenching annoyance at noises of a certain pitch and timbre. Incessant media fixation on the presidential campaign has ruined my disposition and my faith in the future. My Introduction.

Interesting thread! I can't go into supermarkets without getting intense nausea, brain zaps and generally feeling horrible. It's because of the lights. Now I always try go in there with sunglasses on and it seems to help a bit. I wonder what's the problem with the fluorescent light: The wavelength spectrum or the frequency of the flickering....

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• 1 month later...

These are probably my worst symptoms along with with anxiety and insomnia though everyone seems to have anxiety and insomnia. Anyone feel these symptoms of sunlight sensitivity, heat intolerance, exercise intolerance too. Does it get better with time? Anything to help with it? Thanks. I'm talking about withdrawal.

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

Hi Ravijaua,

I had hypersensitivity to sun, light, exercise, and people moving around me. It has gotten a lot better but is not completely gone. The only thing I found to help  was to keep the blinds shut or find a place in my house that was quiet, a little darker, and had less activity. For me that was/is my basement rec room. Magnesium also helped a little. Mostly it has just been time. It was really bad and I couldn't even leave the house for quite awhile because of it. I want to say there is a thread on it. In any case I do remember reading that others also experience it. It was probably the worst for me the first month that I CT'd from buproprion. 

I wish I could be of more help, just know that it will get better with time and try to find a place to minimize exposure.

Hugs and healing

I found the thread.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9912-overstimulation-and-increased-sensitivity-to-light-sound-etc/

I've been suffering from this problem on and off for about 6 months or so. I'm still taking paxil and didn't ct but developed tolerance. At first I just had anxiety and insomnia but over time like 9 months out , I started having these issues for the last 6 months. I would say some of it is improving but it is very up and down.

Update 8122017

Zoloft  2004. Effexor 2004-2006. Paxil 20 mg for 2006-2010. Ct 2010, bad effects back on, stable by 2011.  Poopout June 2015. Zoloft with paxil for a while, stopped Zoloft.

Sep 2016 paxil 16.2 mg alone(295 mg pill weight). Started tapering 11/14/2016.

Took off 1 mg pill weight(total pill weight of 20 mg = 365 mg and 16 mg is 295 mg). Went down 1 mg per week of pill weight so down to 291 mg by end of November. Starting getting anxiety issues starting since 12/10/2016. Hoping that a faster taper will help.

12/14/2016 - 15.95 mg (291 mg pill weight)

12/16/2016 -  15.83 mg (289 mg pill weight)

12/23/2016 -  15.67 (286 mg pill weight)

8/12/2017 -  15.34 (280 mg pill weight)

• Moderator Emeritus

Many subjects already have their own topics and discussions.  To seach SA, use google and type in survivingantidepressants.org + topic

body-temperature-dysregulation-fever-chills-shivering-too-hot-too-cold

skin-photosensitivity

exercise-do-more-do-less-do-nothing-what-worked-for-you

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Chessie you are a veritable font of wonderful information. I'll have to take a look at those threads myself :)

Hugs

• 6 months later...

does anyone suffer like myself with noise sensitivity,this is cripiling me ,its extremely distressing, it seems  to be connected to my humour ,I get in a horrible mood and snappy  ,its definitely worse since November when I basically had a breakdown but I refused to go on Zyprexa and hospital.

I know the body takes time to heal but this is torture, surely this has poisoned me rather than withdrawal .

I cant even taper the drug so this is not withdrawal in the common sense .

Respect

PB   

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Hi Powerback,

I'm sorry you're suffering so much with noise sensitivity. I definitely am more sensitive to sounds and constantly have tinnitus. I realise that I get a bit wired when over-stimulated, it is not my most difficult withdrawal symptom but it definitely is a symptom for me. 

I have just bought earplugs, so will try those and see... will let you know!!

Take care of yourself!!

Julz xxx

2004: Anorexia & Depression -> polydrugged as a result  :wacko:

- Venlafaxine(MR): 75mg

- Escitalopram: 60mg ...
- Diazepam: 10mg bedtime prescribed, no c/o
- Clonazepam: 4mg
2010: New Life in the UK - psychologically much better
GP wants to lower Escitalopram (side effects on heart) -> 2011 to 2014: come down from 60 to 15mg in 5mg steps (I had no idea) - January 2014: after dropping from 20mg to 15mg Esc. plagued with debilitating exhaustion... December 2014: I decide to taper off Benzos... and everything else.
29 May 2017: Drug Free after 13 years!! 
Varied balanced diet, no processed/refined foods. Plenty water. Yoga & Mindfulness.

Hi Powerback,

I'm sorry you're suffering so much with noise sensitivity. I definitely am more sensitive to sounds and constantly have tinnitus. I realise that I get a bit wired when over-stimulated, it is not my most difficult withdrawal symptom but it definitely is a symptom for me. 

I have just bought earplugs, so will try those and see... will let you know!!

Take care of yourself!!

Julz xxx

Hi julz82 thanks for your reply ,I've done some research today and everything points to fibromyalgia ,my nervous system is shot .

we never give up is the main thing .good luck with the earplugs .

Take care 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 1 month later...

6 months now I'm dealing with this noise sensetivty ,what in the world do I do about it ,it's becoming unmanageable ,it puts me in horrible moods straight away ,I think my only option is to taper without being stable and I realise from reading on here it's not recommended ,I'm running out of options fast and really worried .

Has anyone had this ,input gladly accepted .thanks in advance

PB 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Ignore me ,I'm so stupid from this process ,I've just noticed I'm in a thread already ?

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey powerback. What kind of sensitivity are you talking about? When i'm having a wave if i hear a too higher pitched instrument like a giitar, violin or piano in a song it will make me get overcome with emotion and cry. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about? 

Gus.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.

8 hours ago, Gussy said:

Hey powerback. What kind of sensitivity are you talking about? When i'm having a wave if i hear a too higher pitched instrument like a giitar, violin or piano in a song it will make me get overcome with emotion and cry. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about? 

Gus.

hi gussy ,cutlery banging ,plastic bags being crunched ,traffic noise ,it ticks me into irritation and bad moods .the last month its nearly intolerable .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy