SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Essential Oils and Brain Injuries

Darwin

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ooooh......I am going to try my frankincense again I think.  Nice article.  I have a face cream with it in it and I swear it does wonders for my skin.

I don't really think I have a brain injury per se but emotional dysregulation is still tough at times.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

it i

Ooooh......I am going to try my frankincense again I think.  Nice article.  I have a face cream with it in it and I swear it does wonders for my skin.

I don't really think I have a brain injury per se but emotional dysregulation is still tough at times.

It isss, I'm going to try it also and see how it works. 

Summer 2013: started on Prozac for OCD

Fall 2013: started Lexapro due to Prozac zombie effects

Stopped Lexapro because of lack of empathy/emotion,anxiety,lack of concentration etc.

Fall 2014: switched to zoloft 

February 2015: started effexor quit C/D after 2 weeks.

April 2015: was on zoloft for a month again to try and wean a bit more slowly. DID not work.

May 2015: dumped all of my medications

July 2015: Struggling day to day with withdrawal symptoms but hopeful that I'll be better at the end of august for the next school year.

The last entry on the page should tell you everything you need to know about this site:

"This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. Statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding in supplements or making any changes in your diet. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog."

This site is set up to sell you products and nothing else.  Essential Oils may make you feel a bit better if you have "normal" depression or anxiety, but will do nothing for the chemically induced feeling we experience here.  In addition they can cause serious problems if applied to the skin, and can be very toxic if ingested. Even though they smell nice they are not a cure all for WD.  

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I didn't hear anyone say that oils were a cure for WD on the thread. Yes, the article is biased, which is true for nearly anything you'd investigate--whether western or alternative.

Still, I've found essential oils to be a help through WD. I use oils in the shower or bath and have found they can at times, lift my mood, or relieve pain. But I'm not looking for them to be a cure, just to be one of many things that I use that can help. They are 1 of the "100 little things" that Dalsaan says one can do to "open the window wider".

I know that if a person looked, they could find something negative written about qi gong, cycling, walking, meditation or any one of the things that I do. Cycling on the road could get me killed, but that won't stop me from riding. I'm careful and do my best to avoid busy roads or riding anywhere I feel unsafe. Taking large doses of fish oil or magnesium can potentially be harmful too, but they are highly recommended on the site. Everyone has to take care to use things in reasonable ways...essential oils are not harmful on the skin, if used correctly. Nothing I've read has suggested ingesting them and in fact, the books I've read go to great lengths to caution against doing it.

If someone wants to believe that essential oils might be one piece of the puzzle, then why not? What harm is there from trying and believing in the 100 small things? Sometimes, what seems to be small or insignificant can be the starting place. And for me, it's essential for me to be engaged in the process, be proactive, and not just sitting on the couch for years, waiting for something to get better. This is a huge part of my medicine....

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

Essential oils are chemicals and can be powerful drugs. Look up Taxol.

This is good advice.

"This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. Statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding in supplements or making any changes in your diet. 

This is the right thing to say if you are selling something.

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog."

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

• Moderator Emeritus

Essential oils are chemicals and can be powerful drugs. Look up Taxol.

This is good advice.

"This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. Statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding in supplements or making any changes in your diet. 

This is the right thing to say if you are selling something.

PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog."

Yes, so true West Coast.  The company where I purchase my essential oil stuff is not so different from a pharmaceutical company.  I have a whole hardcover book that talks about the chemistry of oils at the cellular level, etc.  However.........this book was written by..........I am sure.........a well paid..........retired physician.

Not sure that the FDA is always the safest either........but that's just the way of the world these days, eh?  Most safety, government backed, is based on short term studies........I guess that's where, for most of us, these problems........withdrawal and such..........that bring us here..........stem from.

In anycase........I guess we each have to find our own truths in the maze of life...........over time.........from our own experiences.  Write about them.  Discuss them.  Etc.

But above all........maybe we should all be like mini physicians..........Do no harm as our motto. 

"Surrender first then do no harm"  :)  (Perhaps I am working on my own motto for today at this point)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

I'm really interested in plant compounds. It's not that they're harmless, but by and large if they are used for anything, they've been used for centuries and more is known about them than about these potent powders we use.

When I was in my very worst conditon (bed-bound) I experiemented with the weirdest oils I could find on Amazon, if they sounded like they'd tweak what ailed me. I don't know that they did, they smelled nice. It was things like juniper and cypress.

And yes, that wily FDA has interests other than food and drugs. I dug a little rabbit hole today. I read a blog post about a change.org petition in the UK to disband their FDA-analog, MHRA. The blogger linked to an FDA page that admits that at least 400,000 people are killed by "medication" in the US annually. My eye wandered to the left column where there was a link  to the committee that had done the report, which I naturally clicked. One name caught my eye, but I thought it was a psychology professor I once knew. It wasn't. It was Ron Kavanaugh, whisteblower deluxe. Jon Rappoport writes about him when he writes about the FDA (noMoreFakeNews.com).

He's the man whose young children a superior made a veiled threat against. The FDA was caught spying on the whistleblowers in their homes, but they nonetheless managed to get the word out and live. Slightly off topic but here's the page I read: http://www.workplacebullying.org/tag/dr-ronald-kavanagh/

The exciting thing is the change.org petition. I can't see this country getting angy enough to do that. Michael jackson, Heath Ledger (an Aussie)...sure the doctor and the patient played roles but they were playing with lethal props. The blog is truthman30.blogspot.com

2009: Cancer hospital said I had adjustment disorder because I thought they were doing it wrong. Their headshrinker prescribed Effexor, and my life set on a new course. I didn't know what was ahead, like a passenger on Disneyland's Matterhorn, smiling and waving as it climbs...clink, clink, clink.

2010: Post surgical accidental Effexor discontinuation by nurses, masked by intravenous Dilaudid. (The car is balanced at the top of the track.) I get home, pop a Vicodin, and ...

Whooosh...down, down, down, down, down...goes the trajectory of my life, up goes my mood and tendency to think everything is a good idea.
2012: After the bipolar jig was up, now a walking bag of unrelated symptoms, I went crazy on Daytrana (the Ritalin skin patch by Noven), because ADHD was a perfect fit for a bag of unrelated symptoms. I was prescribed Effexor for the nervousness of it, and things got neurological. An EEG showed enough activity to warrant an epilepsy diagnosis rather than non-epileptic ("psychogenic") seizures.

:o 2013-2014: Quit everything and got worse. I probably went through DAWS: dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome. I drank to not feel, but I felt a lot: dread, fear, regret, grief: an utter sense of total loss of everything worth breathing about, for almost two years.

I was not suicidal but I wanted to be dead, at least dead to the experience of my own brain and body.

2015: I  began to recover after adding virgin coconut oil and organic grass-fed fed butter to a cup of instant coffee in the morning.

I did it hoping for mental acuity and better memory. After ten days of that, I was much better, mood-wise. Approximately neutral.

And, I experienced drowsiness. I could sleep. Not exactly happy, I did 30 days on Wellbutrin, because it had done me no harm in the past. 

I don't have the DAWS mood or state of mind. It never feel like doing anything if it means standing up.

In fact, I don't especially like moving. I'm a brain with a beanbag body.   :unsure:

The last entry on the page should tell you everything you need to know about this site:

"This article is for informational purposes only, and is educational in nature. Statements made here have not been evaluated by the FDA. This article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Please discuss with your own, qualified health care provider before adding in supplements or making any changes in your diet. PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog."

This site is set up to sell you products and nothing else.  Essential Oils may make you feel a bit better if you have "normal" depression or anxiety, but will do nothing for the chemically induced feeling we experience here.  In addition they can cause serious problems if applied to the skin, and can be very toxic if ingested. Even though they smell nice they are not a cure all for WD.  

Yes.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy