☼ LouisSyfer: Recovered from PSSD with Mianserine 30 mg.

LouisSyfer

Hi members of Surviving Antidepressants forum !

I had a very bad PSSD and I'm free now from it since the last year. I used to be a part of PSSD forum. I wanted to claim worldwide that I at least got rid of PSSD, free from depression and I did it. But the sonny's forum has closed. I wanted to post my story on the paxil progress forum, and it's closed too (!!!???). I hope this one will survive !!

How did I recover ? 

Below my first post on PSSD forum :

"Hi everybody.

I'm a french guy from Nice (South of France) who used to have a very bad PPSD.

I'll try to resume my story.

I should have taken Seroplex for depression in september 2012. And it was the beginning of the nightmare.

Deeper depression, extreme anxiety, derealization, brain fog, and, of course, ABSOLUTLY NO LIBIDO no more.

GENITALS NUMB.

I was wondering what's happening to me. I asked my psy why my libido had disappeared and he replied that it was one of the consequence of depression, not the effect of seroplex. But when I began to fell depressed, it still had my libido. The problem was seroplex, not depression. I guessed it was bullsh*t, but where was the cure ? How long I would undergo this side effect ?

After about four month of treatment, my doctor wanted to give me another antidepressant. Because my depression didn't improve ; it was worst and worst day after day. So I took cymbalta. Did nothing to me. Then I was hospitalized, and the psy gave me anafranil. After six month of treatment, I felt a bit better, so we stopped anafranil to see if my libido would come back. According to the psy, sexuality is supposed to be back after two or three weeks. But one month later, I was still bad. Depressed, anxious, with a big brain frog, and f course, no libido no where.

For I and my psy, I was still depressed – and my libido couldn't come because of it -, so he gave me Ixel to try to cure it. But I knew that the solution was elsewhere. Some gave me poison (SSRI), and I had to find the cure myself if I wanted to survive.

Then I started to make deep researches on the Net. In french, I found nothing interesting. But when I began to search in english language, what I discovered was amazing.

I had PSSD. And a very bad one. And there's no cure known. I believed it was the end of my life.

I stayed hours and hours in front of my computer and I saw there were so many things to try I didn't know what I was really supposed to do. Then, I found an U.S. article about Buspar, bupropion, mianserin, D.A., and so many other drugs. I tried buspirone and bupropion, for example. Buspirone did nothing to me, and bupropion drove me crazy. I tried mirtazapine as well, with no result. I was so desperate that I stopped everything.

But the more I was waiting, the worst I was felling.

For example I couldn't sleep more than three hours a night. And I was so anxious, that some days I started to drink alcohol in the morning. I felt better drunk than stressed.

I saw on the net that mianserin makes sleep. So I asked my doctor to give me mianserin. 30 mg/day.

The treatment began the 15th february of this year.

The possible side effects of mianserin are rare : you fell drowsy, you sleep better, you can get weight. It's very sedative.

The first month, nothing really special happened. Then the second and the third month, I started to fell better.

Step by step, I was felling that mianserin was fighting the disease. Gradually, miaserin has destroyed depression, annihilated the extreme anxiety, erased the brain fog. I could focus of my problem, thought about life and did my job without fear. It was like if someone put a light on in my brain.

About libido, I should have wait four months to see some results. It was strange the first time I felt I wanted to have sex. But it was up and down. One week my libido was coming back, another it's gone away. Until it came back and so on. In July I was very excited, and in August, the libido was down.

So what's happening now ? We are in october. I'm still taking mianserin but 10 mg a day. Sometimes my libido is so high that it's almost uncomfortable. I'd sodomize a goat if only I could fell better after that.

My sexuality is back. PSSD is gone.

I was fighting to get an erection and now I fight to NOT HAVE an erection.

I feel my bollocks full of sperm. And I CAN FEEL MY GENITALS AGAIN.

Mianserin destroyed depression, deleted anxiety, suppressed the brain fog, and gave me back my libido.

Mianserin saved my life.

(The end of treatment is set for the 15th november. I will let know if something wrong happen.

If you try mianserin, don't worry if your libido is up and down during the cure; that just means that your brain is being fixed.)."

Now i'm still free from all the symptoms. I've stopped taking Mianserin the 15th november 2014, as quoted above.  

If you have any question, just ask me.

Take care !!

Louis Syfer,

PSSD victim during almost two years after taking psychiatric drugs as Seroplex (SSRI). 

Cured with Mianserin 30 mg within six months. 

Happy that it worked for you, but I don't think key to fixing PSSD is taking another drug which comes with its own set of side effects. Hope you won't get withdrawal from stopping it, good luck with that and take care!

Hi Louis--  I'm happy that you were able to find something that helped you.  However, we do not advocate the use of one drug to counteract the effects of another.  The drug you are using is just another ssri, and one that is not approved in many countries.  It is practically identical to the mirtazapine you tried and comes with all the same baggage.  PSSD is a devastating condition, but treating it with the same type of drug that caused it is not the answer. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi,

First, there's a semantic issue here. If you need to take a drug to improve something you can't say you are recovered, you can say you found a treatment, different things.

Second, there is a possibility that your PSSD would have resolved on its own. But if you're feeling fine now that's great. I would taper that drug very slowly though (if/when you decide to do it), and by slowly I mean like SA recommends, not like your doctor recommends.

Also: The PSSD forum still exists, it just changed adress: http://www.pssdforum.com/

September 2011 - 75 mg Effexor, 15 mg Mirtazapine
September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

Another one of those "out of the frying pan and into another frying pan" scenarios that always makes me feel bad when I read it.

Mianserin is a tricyclic and they aren't any better for long term use either. What happens when you poop out on this drug? You are only 43, this is not a drug you want propping up your sexuality and emotional well-being. Nope, not at all. You did not cure it, no matter what the guys on those other boards are saying. They are experimenting on themselves too and I hate to see the aftermath of all their 'experiments', it is going to hit them somewhere down the road. I happen to think there is a very good reason why pssd happens and we just have not found the link yet. Curing it with drugs is NOT a cure. It has to resolve on its own. IMHO.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Administrator

Hello, Louis.

Thank you for coming here to share this information of interest to PSSD sufferers.

The Success Stories forum is for people who have recovered from withdrawal syndrome and are off drugs.

I have moved your post to the appropriate forum.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

But he doesn't take Mianserin anymore!? I wonder what your definition of recovery is??

• Administrator

We need to know more about his withdrawal syndrome overall.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Happy that it worked for you, but I don't think key to fixing PSSD is taking another drug which comes with its own set of side effects. Hope you won't get withdrawal from stopping it, good luck with that and take care!

Hi Dortheatos.

I've already stopped it since last year. Nothing special happened. I still feel good.

If you live in Europe maybe you can try Mianserin. Because in USA this medication is forbidden.

Just let us know !

Take care.

Louis Syfer,

PSSD victim during almost two years after taking psychiatric drugs as Seroplex (SSRI). 

Hi Louis--  I'm happy that you were able to find something that helped you.  However, we do not advocate the use of one drug to counteract the effects of another.  The drug you are using is just another ssri, and one that is not approved in many countries.  It is practically identical to the mirtazapine you tried and comes with all the same baggage.  PSSD is a devastating condition, but treating it with the same type of drug that caused it is not the answer. 

Hello brassmonkey,

Mianserin is not a SSRI. Heavenly ! It's a old molecule, still in the market in France. It's a forgotten one - maybe because it works !! I know two other people who were deep inside in the hole since many years, and after a few months of Mianserin treatment, they have almost recovered !

According to me, Mianserin is a very sweet and powerful product, which is able to fix the SSRI dammages. It has worked for me, why not for somebody else ?

Louis Syfer,

Hi,

First, there's a semantic issue here. If you need to take a drug to improve something you can't say you are recovered, you can say you found a treatment, different things.

Second, there is a possibility that your PSSD would have resolved on its own. But if you're feeling fine now that's great. I would taper that drug very slowly though (if/when you decide to do it), and by slowly I mean like SA recommends, not like your doctor recommends.

Also: The PSSD forum still exists, it just changed adress: http://www.pssdforum.com/

Hello,

I recovered because I don't take drugs anymore since the 15th november 2014.

Well you're right about the PSSD forum !! But I cannot login. Well, what's happened to this forum ??

I will try to get in again and see what's going on with my old partners.

Take care.

Louis Syfer,

Another one of those "out of the frying pan and into another frying pan" scenarios that always makes me feel bad when I read it.

Mianserin is a tricyclic and they aren't any better for long term use either. What happens when you poop out on this drug? You are only 43, this is not a drug you want propping up your sexuality and emotional well-being. Nope, not at all. You did not cure it, no matter what the guys on those other boards are saying. They are experimenting on themselves too and I hate to see the aftermath of all their 'experiments', it is going to hit them somewhere down the road. I happen to think there is a very good reason why pssd happens and we just have not found the link yet. Curing it with drugs is NOT a cure. It has to resolve on its own. IMHO.

Ok you should have not read my post until the end. I took mianserin during 9 months, that's all. Now, since many months now, I don't swallow any kind of this products. I'm free from PSSD and depression. Maybe too much free !! My libido is very, very high. No brain fog no more. No sadness, no anxiety, nothing. I hope it will last forever now.

Louis Syfer,

Hello, Louis.

Thank you for coming here to share this information of interest to PSSD sufferers.

The Success Stories forum is for people who have recovered from withdrawal syndrome and are off drugs.

I have moved your post to the appropriate forum.

Maybe my english is not comprehensible. I just wrote down I'm off drugs nowadays.

Louis Syfer,

• Administrator

Louis, your English is fine. I apologize, my reading was faulty.

You went on and off a lot of antidepressants. After you went off the last one, this suggests you had withdrawal syndrome:

For example I couldn't sleep more than three hours a night. And I was so anxious, that some days I started to drink alcohol in the morning. I felt better drunk than stressed.

How did those symptoms go away? Aside from the PSSD, did you have other symptoms of withdrawal? 

This suggests mianserin gradually eliminated withdrawal syndrome -- if that is what you mean by "the disease":

Step by step, I was felling that mianserin was fighting the disease. Gradually, miaserin has destroyed depression, annihilated the extreme anxiety, erased the brain fog. I could focus of my problem, thought about life and did my job without fear. It was like if someone put a light on in my brain.

Did the mianserin eliminate all withdrawal symptoms? How were you sleeping when you were on it?

How did you go off mianserin? Did you have any withdrawal symptoms afterward? How are you sleeping now? Any surges of anxiety?

Louis, your English is fine. I apologize, my reading was faulty.

You went on and off a lot of antidepressants. After you went off the last one, this suggests you had withdrawal syndrome:

How did those symptoms go away? Aside from the PSSD, did you have other symptoms of withdrawal? 

This suggests mianserin gradually eliminated withdrawal syndrome -- if that is what you mean by "the disease":

Did the mianserin eliminate all withdrawal symptoms? How were you sleeping when you were on it?

How did you go off mianserin? Did you have any withdrawal symptoms afterward? How are you sleeping now? Any surges of anxiety?

Yes mianserin eliminated every withdrawal symptoms. But there's a "before" and "after" depression and PSSD. I fell different than before I was on antidepressants. But I fell great anyway. I don't feel depressed, or damaged by AD no more.I just know and remember almost everyday that's happened, it's now over and I want to forget it. 

I'n aware of what everybody thinks : how an AD may fix the damages of another AD ? About I, it's a long story. Just know that a psychiatric product almost destroyed me, and an other one saved me. 

It's paradoxal - but it's like that.

Louis Syfer,

Oh ok, I didn't know you were off Mianserin now.

The PSSD forum is working, but you need to create a new account as it's a new forum.

September 2012 - CT. Developed PSSD (mostly erectile dysfunction and diminished enjoyment of sex).
January 2016 - Symptoms persist, no improvements. In fact, things seem worse now than they were in the first year.

• 2 weeks later...

U can call me any time my number is ********** my name is Shawn I'm going through pssd and it hurts so bad I cried today.

Edited by Petunia
removed phone number for privacy reasons

Hi Shawn5150,

I don't know if you already get PSSD but it's a possibility. As soon as you take ISRS, the action of these drugs are very fast to sexuality. Don't panic and wait. If you're still excited when you see an *** it means everything all right. Otherwise... :(.

Just let us know...

Edited by brassmonkey
Cleaned up language

Louis Syfer,

Hey Louis!

The old forum is shut down, and a new one is up. 

I will activate your account if you re-register. 

Take care,

Ghost

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

Hi Ghost.

Which forum are you talking about ? PSSD forums ?

Are you a Sonny's friend ?

Louis Syfer,

He means www.pssdforum.com

• 1 month later...

Hi LouisSyfer,

I saw your post on PSSD (in the original forum) long ago. Your story sounds very encouraging. I searched for you when I read it but Sonny's forum got shut down. They re-opened a new one.

Luckily your post stayed for while on Google Cache and they posted back your threat.

Are you back on PSSD Collaborative Research as well?

• Administrator

Louis, how are you doing now?

Hi LouisSyfer,

I saw your post on PSSD (in the original forum) long ago. Your story sounds very encouraging. I searched for you when I read it but Sonny's forum got shut down. They re-opened a new one.

Luckily your post stayed for while on Google Cache and they posted back your threat.

Are you back on PSSD Collaborative Research as well?

Hi Latinboy148,

No, I'm not back yet on PSSD forum, but I planned to go back there. I don't know why they closed this site which was very useful for people like us. Well anyway it's open again and I will subscribe soon.

I still ok as never ! Everything all right ! I forgot what PSSD was now. My libido is too high. I fight to not have an erection now !!!! I'm too excited !!

Did you try Mianserin ?

Louis Syfer,

Louis, how are you doing now?

Hi Altostrata. 

I feel all right, thank you. I advise to all PSSD victims to try mianserin - nothing to loose anyway ! 

See you soon.

Louis Syfer,

The people who suggest the only way out is letting PSSD resolve on its own seem to be very ignorant of the fact that some people are waiting for their PSSD to resolve for more than 20 years. When you will accept they won't have a natural recovery? Maybe when they're 90 years old?

• Administrator

AppleofSodom, here on SurvivingAntidepressants, a site for going off psychiatric drugs, we do not recommend experimentation with any new psychiatric drugs. We are not doctors, and we cannot prescribe. We do not know what will happen if someone with withdrawal syndrome tries to remedy it by taking another psychiatric drug, it may make them worse.

As far as I know, there is no defined cure for PSSD. However, there are many, many reports of PSSD resolving gradually over time. It is not an inevitably permanent condition.

If you wish to speculate about drug cures for PSSD, please do it on another site. Thank you.

I didn't suggest anything, I actually agree with this site's "we do not recommend experimentation with any new psychiatric drugs" policy.

I also didn't suggest pssd is inevitably permanent. Although we do have to accept it sometimes is. I don't think this acceptance is necessarily a bad thing. It can be a way to heal, to accept the new "you".

• Administrator

Good to hear you're doing so well, LouisSyfer. Are you still taking mianserin?

Please keep in touch and let us know how you're doing after you go off the drug.

Mianserin may not work for everyone as it has for you. For example, here are adverse effects of mianserin http://www.nps.org.au/medicines/brain-and-nervous-system/antidepressant-medicines/mianserin/for-individuals/side-effects-of-mianserin

MIanserin is also associated with liver injury in susceptible individuals.

So you had pssd and now you don't?

When did you stop Mianserin? How long did it take to work?

What medications are you currently taking?

The emotional numbness is gone too?

Weaned off Effexor XR 75mg after one year of use

I'm experiencing the most debilitating symptoms ever imaginable

-pssd

-Emotional Numbness

Last dose was in august '15 after  weaning off for 6 months

Hi !

I'll reply to everybody :

Please read carefully what I've wrote above. I make it short : I don't take pills no more since one year now. When I left mianserin, I felt good. Nothing happened. Now, I even almost forgot what PSSD is. I feel normal. I suffered so much, that now I want to enjoy life. It's like a rebirth. I wish to everyone to know the same feeling. 

Mianserin is not avaliable in USA, but for those which are outside the US, maybe you can find this drug. Maybe it won't work for you, maybe it will - who knows ? 

If you don't try, you will never be sure.

And don't be afraid by the side effects. I took so much other drugs during my PSSD to try to recover, I know this one is rather sweet...

Good luck !

Louis Syfer,

I think this is interesting, though obviously what works for one may not for another. Anyone going to give this a try??

Been on citalopram 40mg for 10 years then 25mg sertraline for just under a year

I would like to. But I live in the us. I wonder if it's available in Canada ?

Weaned off Effexor XR 75mg after one year of use

I'm experiencing the most debilitating symptoms ever imaginable

-pssd

-Emotional Numbness

Last dose was in august '15 after  weaning off for 6 months

• Administrator

Sorry, folks. This is a site for going off drugs. Please go to a PSSD site to discuss taking drugs for it.