Beta Blockers: Propranolol, Metopropol, Atenolol etc

squirrel

• Administrator

You're talking about an event more than 10 years ago? I tried but I never successfully took any beta blocker for withdrawal.

But my personal experience does not mean that much -- read this topic and see what other people have experienced. 

Suggest you not look for any miracle cures for withdrawal. We haven't found any.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Do you still wake up early in the morning or are you able to sleep in now?

Escitalopram  approximately 2012 to March 31st 2023 20mg cold turkey.

Back on to escitalopram 10 mg approximately 3weeks later.

Switch to Fluoxetine approximately 3 weeks after that.

Come off Fluoxetine 20 mg 22nd of June cold turkey.

Been on antipsychotics such as Serrequal, Abilify, Zyprexa, and currently on, I can't remember the dates of them.

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata how long did it take for your sleep to correct it self?

Escitalopram  approximately 2012 to March 31st 2023 20mg cold turkey.

Back on to escitalopram 10 mg approximately 3weeks later.

Switch to Fluoxetine approximately 3 weeks after that.

Come off Fluoxetine 20 mg 22nd of June cold turkey.

Been on antipsychotics such as Serrequal, Abilify, Zyprexa, and currently on, I can't remember the dates of them.

• Administrator

I appreciate your interest, but I do not think my experience can tell you anything. Please stop asking me about it. I had withdrawal syndrome for 11 years.

I've been noticing some morning shakiness (cortisol?) after starting atenolol.. possibly because out of an abundance of caution I kept the dose very low (half a 25g pill) and maybe it's wearing off too fast or maybe it's other factors but I came across this study confirming there can be adrenergic overactivity after withdrawal of atenolol or different changes depending on different beta blockers taken. Everyone will be different and each medication is different, I just thought I'd add the study so everyone can be informed and take care, especially if stopping the medication.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1368244/

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• Administrator

Please review adverse effects of atenolol or any other drug that you might take.

• 2 weeks later...

So now that I'm taking a whole dose (25mg) of atenolol I'm not getting the shaking. I think it may have not been lasting long enough when I was just taking a half pill and I was getting some kind of rebound adrenaline surge from my oversensitive nervous system but I'm glad I went very slowly at first. It's been a couple of weeks, my heart rate and blood pressure have normalised and I'm no longer going into fight or flight from the noise stressor, so I'll probably hold at this dose long term or forever and hope they continue to work for me. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• 6 months later...
On 12/28/2022 at 5:38 AM, HugHK said:

Just got put on Metoprolol to control rapid heart rate and palpitations (otherwise I can't really exercise), and it works great... apart from the fact that I have moderate ED with it, which is a common side effect. 

Only been on it for a week, so was wondering if anyone had had this, did the side effect go away with time?

Replacing one problem for another seems a bit silly in a way, I'm just not sure it's worth it unless the ED goes away with time. What's the point of taking a medication if I'm just replacing one problem with another etc

My heart palpitations and rapid heart rate are really the one symptom which has not improved since the start of my withdrawal problems almost two years ago so there likely needs to be a solution to that for life to go back to normal as it's uncertain it will happen naturally at this point. 

are you still taking the Metoprolol? @HugHK

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

4 hours ago, peaceandlove said:

are you still taking the Metoprolol? @HugHK

nope I stopped pretty soon after starting due to side effects...

Nov 2019: put on amitriptyline 100mg for insomnia. Worked great, sleep back to normal by March 2020

Jan 2020: Amitriptyline down to 50mg. Some withdrawal for two weeks.

April-May 2020: tapered off amitriptyline a first time over 6 weeks. withdrawal.

June 2020: reinstated amitriptyline 50mg a first time. Things improved progressively for 6 months. Backto normal in November

December 2020: new attempt at tapering amitriptyline (from 50mg), slower this time

February 2021: 30mg amitriptyline... withdrawal starts

March 2021: reinstatement 35mg amitriptyline, then 50mg late march.

April 2021: increased dosage to 75mg; Kindling started, HORRIFIC.

July 2021: reinstatement clearly made things worse so I decide to taper slowly again, at 2.5mg per month

March-April 2022: I hit 45mg amitriptyline dosage, withdrawal has drastically improved, symptom intensity down to 2 or 3 out of ten. Able to exercise, drink etc no issues. I pause the taper. I have stayed on 45mg of amitriptyline ever since.

May 2022: New wave of withdrawal, lasts until January 2023 (nerve pain in my skull)

May 2023: New wave, this time anxiety and pins and needles in my head, much like the kindling reaction in 2021. Not sure what caused it. Wave still ongoing.

36 minutes ago, HugHK said:

nope I stopped pretty soon after starting due to side effects...

Im sorry to hear but glad you got off. I want to try but I’m extremely scared of an adverse reaction since we are all so sensitive now to medicine @HugHK

8 hours ago, peaceandlove said:

Im sorry to hear but glad you got off. I want to try but I’m extremely scared of an adverse reaction since we are all so sensitive now to medicine @HugHK

one thing I have found is that being sensitive to all sorts of medications means... we are also more likely to suffer from side effects. So even if the medication doesn't lead to an adverse reaction, and does actually help your condition, it's likely you'll have significant side effects. 

If you're looking to just slow your heart rate I would try ivabradine instead - less side effects, doesn't act on any brain receptors etc.. but only if you feel you really need it.

Nov 2019: put on amitriptyline 100mg for insomnia. Worked great, sleep back to normal by March 2020

Jan 2020: Amitriptyline down to 50mg. Some withdrawal for two weeks.

April-May 2020: tapered off amitriptyline a first time over 6 weeks. withdrawal.

June 2020: reinstated amitriptyline 50mg a first time. Things improved progressively for 6 months. Backto normal in November

December 2020: new attempt at tapering amitriptyline (from 50mg), slower this time

February 2021: 30mg amitriptyline... withdrawal starts

March 2021: reinstatement 35mg amitriptyline, then 50mg late march.

April 2021: increased dosage to 75mg; Kindling started, HORRIFIC.

July 2021: reinstatement clearly made things worse so I decide to taper slowly again, at 2.5mg per month

March-April 2022: I hit 45mg amitriptyline dosage, withdrawal has drastically improved, symptom intensity down to 2 or 3 out of ten. Able to exercise, drink etc no issues. I pause the taper. I have stayed on 45mg of amitriptyline ever since.

May 2022: New wave of withdrawal, lasts until January 2023 (nerve pain in my skull)

May 2023: New wave, this time anxiety and pins and needles in my head, much like the kindling reaction in 2021. Not sure what caused it. Wave still ongoing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2024 at 2:30 AM, HugHK said:

one thing I have found is that being sensitive to all sorts of medications means... we are also more likely to suffer from side effects. So even if the medication doesn't lead to an adverse reaction, and does actually help your condition, it's likely you'll have significant side effects. 

If you're looking to just slow your heart rate I would try ivabradine instead - less side effects, doesn't act on any brain receptors etc.. but only if you feel you really need it.

Thank you for the info!! 

I have 2 questions 1. Are you still having fast heart rate or has it gotten better for you over time? 2. Have you tried Ivabradine? @HugHK

• 2 weeks later...

I started propanolol for anxiety. I opened an 80mg ER capsule & literally took ONE bead. It’s been 3 days now, and most things are SO much better- mental anxiety, physical anxiety, depression symptoms (maybe they were from too much adrenaline?), better energy, no intrusive thoughts. My dizziness isn’t better, but I can handle it better. No side effects except maybe headache. Problem is, I can totally feel when it wears off, and I get worse physical symptoms (thumping/faster heart rate) as well as return of the mental. I had to take 2 beads today to counter the effects. (but I drank decaf this morning & think the little bit of caffeine was making things worse today). I feel so much better when on it, but I don’t want to make things worse.

*Does it cause tolerance?

*Since it crosses the blood brain barrier, could it affect neurotransmitters, or is this evidence most of my issues are from high adrenaline?

I could try one that doesn’t cross the BBB, but I suspect it wouldn’t have the same benefits either. 

(please don’t answer to say you can’t answer; just ignore.)

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

I took propranolol on and off after being given it for anxiety. While it absolutely works for stopping the effects of adrenaline in its tracks, it also leaves me horribly depressed the next day. Which negated any benefits.

I did some research at the time, and apparently propranolol also reduces dopamine and serotonin. However newer beta-blockers that don’t pass the blood-brain barrier, don’t.

Its a bit wordy, but here’s some info.

https://mentalhealthdaily.com/2016/01/10/propranolol-for-anxiety-disorders-a-nonselective-beta-blocker/

It’s worth noting that when beta blockers wear off, they can trigger a temporary rebound effect, a mini withdrawal. I’d have a few hours of feeling a bit more anxious which would settle down again.

If you feel okay on it, that’s great, but if you can manage it’s best not to take any medication at all when in withdrawal.

Oct 2018 - Jun 2020: 10 mg per day generic Escitalopram in pill form.

Jul 2020 - Aug 2020: Switched to 9 mg per day of Cipralex drops to aid tapering.

Sep 2020 - Oct 2020: Taper to 8 mg.

Nov 2020 - Dec 2020: Taper to 7 mg.

Jan 2021 - Feb 2021: Taper to 6 mg.

Mar 2021 - Apr 2021: Taper to 5 mg.

May 2021 - Jun 2021: Taper to 4 mg.

Jul 2021 - Sep 2021: Taper to 3 mg.

Sep 2021 - Jan 2022: Taper to 2 mg.

Jan 2022: Stopped taking altogether.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy