SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

HopefulOne: off Zoloft after 18 years on it

HopefulOne

I'm 2 months off Zoloft after 18 years on it. (started on Paxil, moved to Prozac, then Zoloft remaining and bulk of the years).

I have many concerns and questions as I struggle with the withdrawal process and reorganization of my mind and body.

It's been the hardest thing I've even gone through. I'm writing this forum out of desperation and inquiry to others' experiences. I've read a lot about the subject, including medical journals, looking for hope, as we all are.

This has been so frightening and disturbing so far. I went off of it on my own because I was feeling pretty good once stabilized at 50mg from 75mg. I also had gotten very ill one weekend from not taking it for several days. Between my mind feeling good and the desire to remove the poison and possibly be free, finally, I thought I was ready. I also noticed mania while on the drug, that I don't have now. I would drive all over and scour every website searching for just the right plants to put outside, or looking for the perfect fabric to make something with. I had grand ideas - almost turned by back yard into an orchard/garden. I know the drug had me thinking and doing unreasonable things. It started to get risky the past couple of years so I had to do something about it.

For 3 months, I tapered from 75mg to zero. On my own. Prior to that, my prescribing psychiatrist got upset with me when I wanted to start having my family doctor start prescribing it for me so I wouldn't need to keep coming in to see him every 5 weeks and pay him for drug maintenance appointments. After I had gotten ill from forgetting to take it, I called him and told him I wanted off the drug - that it was poison. He freaked out and I ended up hanging up on him. Last I talked to him or saw him. I'm afraid to go back as he told me that Zoloft is like a vitamin for the brain and that I need it. I also could not understand his broken English very well. However, he attended Harvard for some time during his schooling. It scared me that someone seemingly smart would say that. I wondered if he knows something about stopping SSRIs and how damaging it is, or it's just easier to maintain patients on a pill. After all the gloom and doom blogs and un-encouraging medical articles I've read these past two hard months, it's making my anxiety very difficult and decision to go med-free hard.

Initial withdrawal was the usual - brain zaps, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, short fuse, unable to think clearly and make decisions, night terrors - awake and while dreaming, insomnia, loss of appetite, heavy pain behind my eyes, and the front of my head inside cloudy and fuzzy, as if someone poured soda over my brain with the effervescent bubbles not letting up. This has subsided for the most part after 6 weeks, but most of these symptoms remain after 2 months, however, to a lesser degree. However, still disturbing and far from myself. It's much worse from lack of sleep - terribly worse. But by no means a walk in the park on nights when I can muster 6 hours of sleep a night now.

There were days that I thought I could be beating this and might just stay off Zoloft for good. Those gifts lasted several hours or sometimes more. Going to bed early at night helped those gifts come in around noontime and last until the next morning. But, short lived. Anxiety took over as the most troublesome symptom. Pain and heaviness in the chest with shallow breathing. Mini panic attacks over the smallest things - one i'm trying to get over is using the turn signal in my car. I almost black out (I squint with pain) right before I do it. And cannot listen to music in the car anymore - brings on panic and anxiety. It's like my brain cannot handle too much or it puts me in panic mode. I cannot plan in advance going on any trips -  even driving places. Is this normal after 2 months off the drug? A friend of mine wants me to stay in a haunted Bed and Breakfast this Halloween. Not happening, sorry!

I'm working on a game plan for this. It's the only thing I can do to get myself out of bed when I'm feeling horrible. It seems that it's a catch 22 whether staying on the drug or getting off it. I've been on so long I'm not sure if I can be successful or not staying off. I'd love to hear others' accounts of long term use and feeling they made the right choice. And if they almost caved in to take it again. Do I just need more time?

My game plan, short term, is to wait it out another month, as hard as that seems. I'm afraid to wait too long before deciding to back on the drug for fear of it not working, or it causing issues. After my last attempt to go off years ago, I was off it 2 months. Went back on the drug, and it worked fine after it got back into my system. I don't wish to live my life regretting going off the drug and missing the window of opportunity to safely go back on, like nothing ever happened : ). I'd love to hear of people who went off for more than 4 months, and successfully reinstated. That would be an insurance policy of hope.

I've been searching for psychiatrists to keep in my back pocket in case I feel the need to go back on it. I found either I can go with a traditional pill pushing type, or one that uses functional medicine to test and treat for any underlying physical medical imbalances while they work with you to improve best you can without drugs or with them if need be. However, at $300 - $400 a visit, plus the cost of medical tests and supplements needs to be considered. I'd go into hock for it if I felt totally confident it worked. If those treatments were useful, then even going back on the drug might mean ability to use a lower dose than before. By lose dose, i'm referring to 25mg vs. the 50mg I did well on. It doesn't help that i'm going through a divorce settlement now. That's been quiet lately, and I won't venture through an actual divorce until I am either much better or back on Zoloft functioning again.

I've thought about going back on the drug at 50mg in order to wean off very slowly this time, so that possibly my brain can "heal" or readjust better than it is now. And if possible, find a compounding pharmacy provide liquid to dose out very small. Like 5% reduction every 2 months. (not sure how easy that is - it's never accurate when I give the cat liquid antibiotics!) I figure up to a year back on 50mg Zoloft, then taper the 5% every two months. If it takes a year to stabilize on 50mg, then 2 years to slowly withdraw, would that give my brain adequate time for restoration vs. me getting off it in the 3 months I did this time? I'm willing to do it, but i'm not sure many psychiatrists would want to. I'd love to find a good psychiatrist in NJ to help me determine this. It's hard not knowing what their agenda is. So the search goes on. If I'm very lucky, I can avoid doing this. But am prepared mentally to do it if need be - and will only do it under supervision. It's the unknown of staying off or going back on that scares the daylights out of me. Staying off makes me feel like I'm going to jump off a cliff I can never climb back up. That makes for high anxiety!

49 year old female

Currently on 68.75mg sertraline via compound pharmacy.

20 Years on SSRIs (Started 1997 with Paxil, later Prozac, and rest and bulk of remainder on Zoloft)

Dosage ranged from 100mg down to 50mg under doctor supervision. Took Xanax occasionally as needed, but was not often.

Failed attempt to quit Zoloft after 12 years on it. Took a 3 month taper. Lowest dose at 12.5mg (pill cut)

End of July 2015, stopped Zoloft after 3 month taper from .75 mg (unsupervised by doctor)

Not on any other medications

Hello Hope,

Someone should be along soon to help you out. Meanwhile take a look around the site for others who are also withdrawling from Zoloft.

Also, see windows and waves.

Welcome and best of luck,

Tbaum

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome HopefulOne,

Thank you for sharing your story and for filling in your signature.

I'm sorry you are still having symptoms after coming off Zoloft 2 months ago. Unfortunately, you tapered too fast and now have withdrawal symptoms. Stopping from 12.5mg is too high, these drugs are very potent even in low doses and we recommend tapering much lower before stopping.

Many of us are here because we tapered too fast while believing we were doing it right. I tapered off lexapro over a couple of months and had withdrawal symptoms start to develop shortly after.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work well to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal. Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work. Once you have stabilized on a low dose of the drug, then a slower, safer taper can be started. Here is some information about reinstatement to help you decide if its something you would like to try:  About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

If you were to try reinstatement, I would start with 3mg and see if that helps.

Here is our Zoloft tapering topic where you will find tips for how you can take very small doses and taper safely:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Here are a few more topics you may find useful:

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Why taper? Paper demonstrates importance of gradual change in plasma concentration

Tapering to zero -- when do you just drop off? When to end the taper and jump to zero?
How do you determine a good stopping point?

You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. You will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

Edited by ChessieCat
Provided correct link

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thanks Petunia - this is very helpful. It seems that reinstatement to 3mg is tiny, but such a tiny amount may take the edge off the withdrawal, enough to try to stabilize on before going down a tiny bit. Or, on the other hand, wondering if the withdrawal does not subside on that dose, that going up another tiny amount might need to happen. These are all good points I want to bring up with a psychiatrist, if I can find one that will work with me on this. And hoping these minute doses will be easy to obtain and take. If I can get on a schedule like this, maybe the amount of tapers down will be very small, even if for a long time on each one. Hoping to be so lucky. Now on to find a doctor who will help with such a slow taper. Seems I better hurry before too much time passes. thanks so much -

49 year old female

20 Years on SSRIs (Started 1997 with Paxil, later Prozac, and rest and bulk of remainder on Zoloft)

Dosage ranged from 100mg down to 50mg under doctor supervision. Took Xanax occasionally as needed, but was not often.

Failed attempt to quit Zoloft after 12 years on it. Took a 3 month taper. Lowest dose at 12.5mg (pill cut)

End of July 2015, stopped Zoloft after 3 month taper from .75 mg (unsupervised by doctor)

I'm 2 months off Zoloft after 18 years on it. (started on Paxil, moved to Prozac, then Zoloft remaining and bulk of the years).

I have many concerns and questions as I struggle with the withdrawal process and reorganization of my mind and body.

It's been the hardest thing I've even gone through. I'm writing this forum out of desperation and inquiry to others' experiences. I've read a lot about the subject, including medical journals, looking for hope, as we all are.

This has been so frightening and disturbing so far. I went off of it on my own because I was feeling pretty good once stabilized at 50mg from 75mg. I also had gotten very ill one weekend from not taking it for several days. Between my mind feeling good and the desire to remove the poison and possibly be free, finally, I thought I was ready. I also noticed mania while on the drug, that I don't have now. I would drive all over and scour every website searching for just the right plants to put outside, or looking for the perfect fabric to make something with. I had grand ideas - almost turned by back yard into an orchard/garden. I know the drug had me thinking and doing unreasonable things. It started to get risky the past couple of years so I had to do something about it.

For 3 months, I tapered from 75mg to zero. On my own. Prior to that, my prescribing psychiatrist got upset with me when I wanted to start having my family doctor start prescribing it for me so I wouldn't need to keep coming in to see him every 5 weeks and pay him for drug maintenance appointments. After I had gotten ill from forgetting to take it, I called him and told him I wanted off the drug - that it was poison. He freaked out and I ended up hanging up on him. Last I talked to him or saw him. I'm afraid to go back as he told me that Zoloft is like a vitamin for the brain and that I need it. I also could not understand his broken English very well. However, he attended Harvard for some time during his schooling. It scared me that someone seemingly smart would say that. I wondered if he knows something about stopping SSRIs and how damaging it is, or it's just easier to maintain patients on a pill. After all the gloom and doom blogs and un-encouraging medical articles I've read these past two hard months, it's making my anxiety very difficult and decision to go med-free hard.

Initial withdrawal was the usual - brain zaps, dizziness, nausea, diarrhea, short fuse, unable to think clearly and make decisions, night terrors - awake and while dreaming, insomnia, loss of appetite, heavy pain behind my eyes, and the front of my head inside cloudy and fuzzy, as if someone poured soda over my brain with the effervescent bubbles not letting up. This has subsided for the most part after 6 weeks, but most of these symptoms remain after 2 months, however, to a lesser degree. However, still disturbing and far from myself. It's much worse from lack of sleep - terribly worse. But by no means a walk in the park on nights when I can muster 6 hours of sleep a night now.

There were days that I thought I could be beating this and might just stay off Zoloft for good. Those gifts lasted several hours or sometimes more. Going to bed early at night helped those gifts come in around noontime and last until the next morning. But, short lived. Anxiety took over as the most troublesome symptom. Pain and heaviness in the chest with shallow breathing. Mini panic attacks over the smallest things - one i'm trying to get over is using the turn signal in my car. I almost black out (I squint with pain) right before I do it. And cannot listen to music in the car anymore - brings on panic and anxiety. It's like my brain cannot handle too much or it puts me in panic mode. I cannot plan in advance going on any trips - even driving places. Is this normal after 2 months off the drug? A friend of mine wants me to stay in a haunted Bed and Breakfast this Halloween. Not happening, sorry!

I'm working on a game plan for this. It's the only thing I can do to get myself out of bed when I'm feeling horrible. It seems that it's a catch 22 whether staying on the drug or getting off it. I've been on so long I'm not sure if I can be successful or not staying off. I'd love to hear others' accounts of long term use and feeling they made the right choice. And if they almost caved in to take it again. Do I just need more time?

My game plan, short term, is to wait it out another month, as hard as that seems. I'm afraid to wait too long before deciding to back on the drug for fear of it not working, or it causing issues. After my last attempt to go off years ago, I was off it 2 months. Went back on the drug, and it worked fine after it got back into my system. I don't wish to live my life regretting going off the drug and missing the window of opportunity to safely go back on, like nothing ever happened : ). I'd love to hear of people who went off for more than 4 months, and successfully reinstated. That would be an insurance policy of hope.

I've been searching for psychiatrists to keep in my back pocket in case I feel the need to go back on it. I found either I can go with a traditional pill pushing type, or one that uses functional medicine to test and treat for any underlying physical medical imbalances while they work with you to improve best you can without drugs or with them if need be. However, at $300 - $400 a visit, plus the cost of medical tests and supplements needs to be considered. I'd go into hock for it if I felt totally confident it worked. If those treatments were useful, then even going back on the drug might mean ability to use a lower dose than before. By lose dose, i'm referring to 25mg vs. the 50mg I did well on. It doesn't help that i'm going through a divorce settlement now. That's been quiet lately, and I won't venture through an actual divorce until I am either much better or back on Zoloft functioning again.

I've thought about going back on the drug at 50mg in order to wean off very slowly this time, so that possibly my brain can "heal" or readjust better than it is now. And if possible, find a compounding pharmacy provide liquid to dose out very small. Like 5% reduction every 2 months. (not sure how easy that is - it's never accurate when I give the cat liquid antibiotics!) I figure up to a year back on 50mg Zoloft, then taper the 5% every two months. If it takes a year to stabilize on 50mg, then 2 years to slowly withdraw, would that give my brain adequate time for restoration vs. me getting off it in the 3 months I did this time? I'm willing to do it, but i'm not sure many psychiatrists would want to. I'd love to find a good psychiatrist in NJ to help me determine this. It's hard not knowing what their agenda is. So the search goes on. If I'm very lucky, I can avoid doing this. But am prepared mentally to do it if need be - and will only do it under supervision. It's the unknown of staying off or going back on that scares the daylights out of me. Staying off makes me feel like I'm going to jump off a cliff I can never climb back up. That makes for high anxiety!

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.

Hi I had mania on zoloft as well as intense ocd, paranoid ideations, and I can tell you 9 months off this horrific I am stabilizing. The manic thought processes have abated for the most part Paranoia that I swore was the core of who i am, I found out to be tied to this ssri, is also abating as well as ocd behaviorisms.

I can categorically tell you you and I are suffering from iatrogenic injury through zoloft. You will survive it! I was on 150 to 200 milligrams for over a decade, on off but mostly on.

All my best

Gemini

off cold turkey:zoloft, trileptal, stratteracurrently on:<p>latuda .05 milligrams latuda (to stabilize cns) from 20 mgs 4 months ago.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HO, welcome from me too. Sadly there are very few doctors who understand withdrawal and insist it is ok to quit. They usually insist that withdrawal is  a relapse of the original illness, and would probably not agree with tiny doses! Any doctor can prescribe it for you, and you can ask for the liquid so you can measure out what you need yourself. Some people manage well by making their own liquid from tablets. There is a thread about that here...http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2693-how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules/

You may be very fortunate and find a doctor who will give you what you need and support your taper, if you do find one please add them to our list of doctors who know about and support tapering.  There may be one on there in your area 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/988-recommended-doctors-therapists-or-clinics/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I can tell you my experience if you like

Silver Star, yes, i'd like to hear your experience.

Platinum Star - thank you for your response and I'll check the dr.'s list in the link you provided. If I am lucky to find one outside this list willing to work with me on it, I'll add them to it. I was thinking that psychiatrists don't like to work with people doing such low doses because (in my opinion) it's outside the medical guidelines and protocol they are to follow. Outside of those guidelines, it becomes more complex for them to monitor and manage the patient. But, I think it would be great if they'd work more openly with us on withdrawing at all, and doing so on such low increments. But, I guess it also gets complex in how the dosing would work - with pills, it's easy to assume the right amount of medication is taken. Years ago when I tried to get off Zoloft, I saw an Orthomolecular Psychiatrist who tried to discount and danced around the bush about the use and difficulty of using liquid Zoloft. He said it was complicated and you never know if you're getting the right dose. Leaves me to wonder - is it really that hard to taper with liquid Zoloft, or is it just easier for a doctor to not monitor a patient that way, unsure if the patient is dosing it out properly.

49 year old female

Hello HO,

I honestly think that doctors don't believe withdrawl exists. They tend to believe that the original sickness is back.

I believe that the liquids are as accurate as the pill form. Even more so when having to cut the pills in half or quarters.

I'm not a doctor, this is just my opinion.

Tgirl

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Administrator

Welcome, HO.

A psychiatrist who knows anything about tapering is very hard to find. You can work with any kind of doctor on tapering, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. Any doctor can prescribe liquid Zoloft.

Please read the links Petunia gave you and let us know if you have any questions.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Ok thanks,I am doing so poorly that I'm going to find a good psychiatrist to work with, preparing that he either is not aware or is not willing to taper slowly. I need to stabilize first and foremost as am not confident waiting it out will work. Doesn't feel possible given my length of time on it. The withdrawal is extremely disturbing mentally and physically.my quality of life is minimal as a result. If I ever get lucky to get my life back by going back on, albeit, a lower dose such as 25mg zoloft, I can later think about tapering down under medical supervision if that's going to be possible.

49 year old female

I ended up back on .25mg zoloft after a trip to the ER after a major panic attack the night before. That was 4 days ago. Last night and this morning, plus throughout the day, have had horrible body shaking. There's a ton of energy in my body so while resting, I have the urge to rapidly shake my foot and leg. Sometimes rocking my body back and forth. It's like the energy is trying to get out but can't. Hoping this is a temporary side effect. I can't see my psychiatrist for 4 more weeks. It will be my first appt with a new one as left on bad terms with old one. Anxiety and depression bad so stayed in bed all weekend.

49 year old female

• Administrator

You are taking .25mg Zoloft? Does this seem to help?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Yes,.25mg of zoloft. 5th day on it. It seems to have helped a very small amount. I am physically exhausted where getting out of bed for a simple task is hard. I took .25mg of xanax last night before bed. Finally slept a bit. This morning woke up possibly feeling the effects of xanax. That being lethargic and unable to concentrate. Tried to work from home today on a laptop but failed to be able to. I wonder if I am suffering twice, one being withdrawal from my stopping zoloft 2.5 months ago, and second, the on boarding of it again. Maybe it's a double whammy vs people who start up on it from never have been on it. The last time I got off it was a shorter time period from when I went back on. But it did work so I hope it works again. The major restlessness I had yesterday is gone, however it's opposite today with major lethargy. My nausea has mostly gone, however stomach is still tight. The taste in my mouth is gone too as of today. But, I feel a little more clearer than before I started back up. Before I started back up I felt depersonalized a bit and felt quite unwell. Like getting over a flu but feeling a little feverish, along with a touch of how your mind is when you have a high fever. Kind of hallucinatory but able to function. I think 5 days back on .25mg zoloft is removing that, but maybe that is more from having been sleep deprived/off cycle since stopping the drug.

49 year old female

• Administrator

.25mg Zoloft is a very small amount, indeed. You might want to move up to .50mg Zoloft.

Is it Zoloft that's making you tired? What time do you take it?

I'm doing better with exhaustion. I really think that was a mix of withdrawal, underlying anxiety, and starting up the drug again. I'm hoping to stay on .25mg thru the next several weeks. It seems people bump up the dose very fast without staying at a lower dose thru the 6 weeks it takes to be in full effect. As long as I can stick it out I will. Might not work but last time i was on higher dosages of 50, 75, or 100mg i was either in overdrive or plain tired, plus having impulsive behaviors.

49 year old female

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi HopefulOne,

I'm reading through the last few posts and I think there might be a misunderstanding about the dose you are actually taking at the moment. .25mg is a very small dose, its less than 1mg. How are you taking this small amount? Are you cutting a tablet or using liquid?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Hi there, .25mg is half of a regularly prescribed dose of 50mg. I just snap a 50 in half.

49 year old female

So you are on 25 mg not .25?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• Administrator

• 2 years later...

I went back on sertraline 2.5 years ago and went up to 75mg. As of yesterday, dosage lowered to 68.75mg thru a compound pharmacy under the direction of my psychiatrist. I will be on this dosage for 3 months before any next reduction takes place. This is much slower than the 10% per month reduction rate many suggest. My intention is low and slow to hopefully lessen withdrawal symptoms and allow for stabilization before next reduction. This may take years but that's ok. This way i can celebrate many successes along the way more subtly to keep the shocks to my system minimal. I'll post my progress along the way in hopes of helping others. I've read a lot how people try biting the bullet by too large of reductions too fast to get over the withdrawal. That only shocks the system too harshly and make things worse with reinstating a bigger possibility. 

49 year old female

Hello HopefulOne

That's the same strategy I've been using. It's been working extremely well and I am feeling very well.I've also been using a compounding pharmacy which has greatly simplified the process

B

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

That's great. May i ask what dose you were at when you started your taper? What tapering schedule have you been on? How long have you been on zoloft for? How long have you been tapering for? I feel encouraged and empowered going so slow with it.

49 year old female

Long story!

I had five years on Lexapro, with several failed tapers, and a "successful" one of five months duration. I crashed and burned, and after being off for about six months or so I went onto Sertraline. I didn't want to, but was hopeful that an SSRI would fill in the gaps left by stopping the Lexapro (ie, I felt that my brain had not had time to upregulate anything that it had downregulated). I was on 75mg for a while (a year) and worked my way up to 100mg. 100mg was intolerable from a side effect point of view and I dropped from 100mg to 75 mg fairly abruptly.

At the time of the first drop I'd been on sertraline for about 18months, but I try to consider it the whole SSRI thing. So, rather than 1.5 years on sertraline, I think of it as 6.5 years on SSRIs, at that stage.

I then waited on that dose of 75mg for about six months. I took smaller drops after that and typically held for several months in between drops. I was dropping by 2mg increments for a long time. Now that I'm at 9mg, 2mg drops are too big and I'm now taking smaller drops. I've been tapering for nearly four years. I aim to be off at the end of 2019. I never drop until I feel well, and I never drop if I'm anticipating a difficult time. So, for example, I'm "due" another drop, and I've even filled my prescription, but I need my wits about me for the next 2-3 weeks while I work through a really difficult assignment, so I'll hold until that's done. Then I've got a few weeks where my workload is lighter, so I can afford a wobble. I have had symptoms from time to time, though not with every drop. I've tried to be strategic with my tapering so it hasn't been so much a "schedule".

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Sounds like you're going low and slow too. I think it's the best way.

49 year old female

Update: Day 2 on 1st drop of 6.25mg:

Symptoms: mild to moderate diarrhea and mild short bout of nausea and abdominal discomfort. Slightly drowsy. Slightly dizzy, barely noticeable.

Mood: just as happy and optimistic as before while on maintenance dose of 75mg.

49 year old female

All the best with your slow taper. I am at 19mg of zoloft at the moment after being on 100-150mg over 6 years. Been tapering for about 27 months now but am in a rough spot so holding for a while. Some quality of life while you are tapering is better than no quality if you go too fast. Take it slowly and dont have an end date in mind. All the best

Started Sertraline (Zoloft) September 2009. 50mg then to 100mg within a week. Floated between 150mg and 100mg for the next 6 years. 

February 2016 began tapering from 150mg

2017; 55mg-22mg; 2018; 22mg-19mg. Jan 2018 surgery on my knee and collarbone which seemed to cause a crash 3 weeks later. 12/02/18. Held for 6 months at 19mg. 12/08/18 19mg-18mg; 10/09/18 18mg-17mg; Held for another 7 months

17/04/19 began tapering at 0.5mg per 2 weeks and reached 4.5mg on 19/03/20; CRASHED after a heavy alcohol session in late Feb. Attempted to restart taper August 2020 by dropping to 4.25mg. Updosed back to 4.5mg after 3 days. 2nd attempt to restart 4 weeks later in September 2020 dropping to 4.25mg again this time updosing back to 4.5mg 4 days later. 

Last attempt to taper November 2021. 4.5mg to 4.4mg lasted 15 days then updosed back to 4.5mg due to severe apathy and cognitive issues

5 hours ago, HopefulOne said:

Sounds like you're going low and slow too. I think it's the best way.

I have been going low and slow, though it's been a bit erratic depending on circumstances. For me, it has worked well.

Best wishes

21 hours ago, HopefulOne said:

Update: Day 2 on 1st drop of 6.25mg:

Symptoms: mild to moderate diarrhea and mild short bout of nausea and abdominal discomfort. Slightly drowsy. Slightly dizzy, barely noticeable.

Mood: just as happy and optimistic as before while on maintenance dose of 75mg.

Day 3:

No diarrhea. Minor abdominal discomfort. Miniscule dizziness. Mood fine. If it were that my dose reduction was .25 vs. 6 25, by now I'd be feeling awful.

49 year old female

Day 4: feeling warm, flu-like, pressure and pain under eyes. Drowsy. A little hard to focus on complex things. No brain zaps but if i move my head side to side, there's the tiniest suggestion of a zap. Its also 90 degrees outside. Overall, not as bad as when I've reduced by 25mg at once in past years. Next drop i make 3 months from now I'll consider a 5% rather than 10% reduction  from current dose. Mood is fine. Been rather calm as nothing dramatic going on in my life now. Some Advil and a good sleep could help. Not sure if tomorrow will be worse or better but expect the withdrawal to go away in 2 weeks. If this is the worst of it, then that's good and it's doable. 

49 year old female

Day 4 updated update. Took a dramamine. It worked for some of the eye heaviness and flu feeling in my head. First time taking it. But still drowsy.

49 year old female

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back HopefulOne,

I'm happy to hear you are on a nice, slow safe taper now and it sounds like you are adjusting to your first cut. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for a change of dose to fully register in your system.

I'm confident you will be successful this time as long as you keep it slow and stable, its great you have a psychiatrist who is supporting your slow taper, not many will.

Please would you update your signature with details of your reinstatement and current taper. Thank you.

Petunia.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

On 5/25/2018 at 8:19 PM, HopefulOne said:

Day 4 updated update. Took a dramamine. It worked for some of the eye heaviness and flu feeling in my head. First time taking it. But still drowsy.

Day 5 update. Very drowsy and hard to focus. Dramamine still in system. Just want to sleep. Felt better in evening.

Day 6 update. Feel a lot better. Not terribly drowsy. Thinking the withdrawal from recent drop is on way out. Taking it easy today. Hoping future cuts go as well. Will plan a couple days off work to rest for next cut. Will remain on 68.75 for 3 months per dr.

49 year old female

On 5/25/2018 at 10:35 PM, Petunia said:

Welcome back HopefulOne,

I'm happy to hear you are on a nice, slow safe taper now and it sounds like you are adjusting to your first cut. For most drugs, it takes about 4 days for a change of dose to fully register in your system.

I'm confident you will be successful this time as long as you keep it slow and stable, its great you have a psychiatrist who is supporting your slow taper, not many will.

Please would you update your signature with details of your reinstatement and current taper. Thank you.

Petunia.

Thank you. I have updated my signature line. Also, helpful to know it takes 4 days for change of dose to register in system. 

49 year old female

19 hours ago, HopefulOne said:

Day 5 update. Very drowsy and hard to focus. Dramamine still in system. Just want to sleep. Felt better in evening.

Day 6 update. Feel a lot better. Not terribly drowsy. Thinking the withdrawal from recent drop is on way out. Taking it easy today. Hoping future cuts go as well. Will plan a couple days off work to rest for next cut. Will remain on 68.75 for 3 months per dr.

Day 7: feeling great. Just a little foggy and feel something going on in my head like a little buzzing. But the major withdrawal is gone. Small reductions in dose seem to be key. Mood is fine. Slight anxiety but nothing to write home about.

49 year old female