dalsaan

On healing and the blocks to recovery

dalsaan

Everyone wants to make progress and have healing occur.   That is the most significant thing we share and why we are here.  However, we are all capable of blocking our own healing particularly when the process and what we have to do challenges us. 

There are a number of reasons why we put up road-blocks to our recovery even though that’s what we desperately desire.  In reality, healing often entails:

·      Facing things that we have been avoiding or suppressing for a long time (for me, that was childhood sexual abuse and trauma);

·      Facing our fears and taking action in the context of uncertainty (even though you are terrified);

·      Holding ourselves accountable for how our actions impact our life (before and during withdrawal);

·      Believing healing is possible and trusting your body/mind;

·      Letting go of often long held stories about who and how we are in the world and being willing to find a new me in the process;

·      Being determined to cautiously identify the suite of unique conditions that best manifest our healing capacity;

·      Being patient and disciplined.

I think the people that have progressed down the road to recovery have been able to get out of their own way and carefully identify and create conditions that are conducive to recovery.   They are also conscious of and willing to address conditions that aren’t conducive to recovery, including those that they generate themselves.

None of this is easy and I am inspired by lots of people on this site and determined to keep myself accountable for my own continued healing.

Good healing to you all

Dalsaan

freespirit

Very well said Dalsaan. Causes and conditions for healing for each of us have both some common as well as unique features....in addition, those causes and conditions are always changing. It can be easy to get into traps of thinking, "I tried that and it didn't work" or "I know this works"...and not realize that we are always evolving, and we need to keep updating how we respond to the evolution. Really listening requires a moment to moment presence and willingness to not know the answer.

dalsaan

All good points freespirit.  I think sometimes our greatest challenge is to have a moment by moment focus on the present so that we can listen.   I think its easy to get stuck in the past (what has happened to me, how long have I been in pain etc) or very orientated to the future (when will my taper finish/recovery be done)

The present is the gap between past and future.   It is real time so if we listen we can hear what is happening for us now.  it is also the only point in time that we can take action.

D

Hopeinahpwr

Dalsaan,

I like your point regarding being terrified, but taking action to change in spite of the fear. When I had come off the Zoloft and then the depression hit like a boulder...I feared the unknown, and rightly so, but now that I returned to zoloft to stabilize...I now fear the fear itself of reducing the meds again, which could be a roadblock to a successful end. I must not fear and fight thru the hell of post-AD effects.

Persephone

Dalsaan,

Thank you for addressing what for me is the elephant in the room.

I am prone to "forgetting" big, important issues that I need to address, or at least hold in my conscience - like depression, like childhood sexual abuse.

So often I measure how I am doing in terms of tangible work and home busyness, perhaps as a means to avoid these hard issues. 

Not sure where to go from here. As many of you have already said, being present in the moment is key. And facing fears.

I am glad to have this issue out in the open.

Mort81

I think fear of the future is a big one for all of us. And no matter what capacity you are functioning in, you are always wondering when it will normalize. If we could all relax and flow and not put pressure on when will it come. Than I think it becomes easier. Being okay In the present with whatever your dealing with. How do you do that. I think by telling yourself its going to keep getting better no matter what. And after you tell yourself go back to focusing in on the present moment. Do it 100 times a day if you have to.

Junglechicken

The emotional state of fear has held me in its grips for too long now as I live with continual pain of one form or another.

I have not succeeded in moving through the paralysing fear and into acceptance of what's happening to my body and my mind.

To be able to let go of my fear and actually LIVE again would be the biggest achievement of my life. This is a continual struggle.

The above is what I hope and strive for.

elbee

Good stuff, thanks!

abbykoch

It's really important that people know what they are eating, a lot of depression can be because of food.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed obscenity

Buffy

This is a great topic and just when I needed to hear it. Once again - thankyou SA. I cant post much- but do read and gain insight, relief and 'support'. This is one of those time.

My body is changing, and as it does, my needs do. I will try not to feel ashamed of what I now need (ie help taking the rubbish out, or help to purchase clothes and food) as I know my needs will again change and as I heal from this experience I will continue to learn self care in its essence. Listening to my evolving body with no judgement, moving at the pace I need.

Happy2Heal

great post, worth re reading several times

thank you

Lawyerliz

Living in the moment is hard when you are shivering and sweating. But reading lots of these comments makes me realize that I am not alone, and that others have come back from being worse off.

Lawyerliz

Lovely, simply lovely. I think that a lot of people who seem to be perfectly all right are actually a total mess. So if you know you are a mess, you are actually a step ahead of them. You don't come with mess or not mess paintend on your forehead.

Lawyerliz

More chopping, now I am legitimately exhausted, not fatigued.

pinkfairy

Fantastic post,I will be re-reading all this....fear is by far my biggest obstacle!so much childhood traumas...I wouldn't even no where to start to begin to pick up the pieces from this mess!!brillant post

Bcdrugfree

I agree the present moment is the only way to move through withdrawal process. I do find myself wondering what life will be like ssri free. At this point it's important to take it day by day and believe that things will change. The big difficulties of withdrawal is the ups and downs and the good days bad days struggle. Finally feel things are getting better then you go two steps back. Staying present is very important at this point of our struggle together:)

gigi63

Amen. I could not agree more!!!

pinkfairy

Am defiantly standing in my own way of recover...

am terrified to leave my comfort zone!my wheels are just spinning...I no what am doing but I can't seem to let myself stand aside..the fear is off the scales.

i don't trust life :( 

powerback

I've suffered way to much still taking this disgusting mind/soul altering poison ,taper  started again and I'm not going back never .easy to say in this window but my toolkit has improved .I've come so far in understanding my resilience .

peace to everyone .

PB

powerback

if your going through hell ,just keep going .this is a quote from Winston  Churchill  I like .

Mjau

Very well said dalsaan. 

As the the tapering is progressing and the concentration of the drug is getting lower and lower - feelings will re-emerge, we will have to learn how to feel again, be present with what is, face our fears, examine our fears.