SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Joannatm: sertraline withdrawal

joannatm

I've always got excited about Christmas with kiddies. Christmas plan what does it involve? I read waves and windows but I still can't convince my head when I feel like this that it is meds caused I feel it's just me as can't remember the norm me before kiddies now. Xxxx thanks guys xxx

May 2003 prozac for six months after having first child. Came off taper slow. No withdrawals.

December 2009 10mg citalopram after second child.

January 2010 up to 20mg kinda helped. Not much.

July 2010 taper off within a month.

Side affects of tiredness tears. Doctor said I depressed still.

Oct 2010 Went back doctor they put me on sertraline 20mg and went to cbt therapy. Doctor kept upping it as wasn't feeling better to 200mg.

December 2014 felt better started to reduce by 4 tablets to 3 then to 2 then 1 and half. Four five weeks gap between. Stopped at 25mg in April 2015.7 months no meds.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• joannatm

• SquirrellyGirl

• KT38

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is how withdrawal works (as described by Our Rhi of SA):  Rhi's description of healing the brain

Hi Joanna,

As well as the above explanation I found this video Healing from Antidepressants: Patterns of Recovery helpful in understanding what is happening.  There is also another excellent post which gives a more "scientific" layman's explanation Best Description of Healing Process

Wishing you all the best, CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

My Christmas plan is a list of all the things I love about Christmas - particular foods, presents, family, tree.

This is a locked-in plan, nothing else is allowed in my Christmas (ie anxiety, stress, worry that something isn't working out right, worry that people have expectations of me...)  When these thoughts come up, I shove them aside, and look at my Christmas list.  Christmas is only allowed to be the things on that list.  

So far it's working, now at 3-week-readiness :)

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you guys so much. Today was an extremely tired tearful day and numb xxxx

May 2003 prozac for six months after having first child. Came off taper slow. No withdrawals.

Oct 2010 Went back doctor they put me on sertraline 20mg and went to cbt therapy. Doctor kept upping it as wasn't feeling better to 200mg.

December 2014 felt better started to reduce by 4 tablets to 3 then to 2 then 1 and half. Four five weeks gap between. Stopped at 25mg in April 2015.7 months no meds.

Do you feel a deep depression when you wake up?  Like the world is against you, hopeless, and you hate everything?  It is sick sick sick!  Never in my life have I ever been like this!!!

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Very much so. Pmt doesn't help I'm sure. I wake up anxious and get hot all over too. How's u any good days? X

• 2 weeks later...

How you doing guys? Kt you feeling any better? I still have good and then bad days. It's the thoughts that get to me. On my birthday I could have cried all day for no reason. Then next day felt 90% ok. I get so frustrated. Today I'm very tired. Hope u all have a good Christmas and roll on a better new year. Xxx

Ps karen b. How's plan going? I'm up and down with emotions xxx

I go through so many crazy moods everyday....from deep depression, to rage, to intense anxiety where I feel I can't breathe, to crazy physical feelings and an overwhelming sick and nauseous feeling.  Just this morning I couldn't stand the sound of one of my kids whining I thought I was going to check into a hospital saying "I don't know what is going on with me!"  But, because I know I don't know what is happening to my brain and body I just know it has to be withdrawal from my adverse reaction to these meds.  I talk to ppl who have had depression or anxiety and what they say is only part of what I'm experiencing (I never had either before), so I know it's not that I all of a sudden have either of that....I have all of it full force and it's so scary.  I just wish my body would stabilize.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

It's so frustrating. Wish we could have normal days every day. I don't know what normal is now. Xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Neuro-emotions - sounds like they are playing with you big time.  Can't recall if you've seen that link or not, but it might be reassuring to you right now.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

I'm doing so-so with my christmas plan.  I'm not panicking, but the anxiety is creeping up.  Frustrating because I actually enjoy all the stuff that needs doing - cooking etc, but I can't make the anxiety stop.  It doesn't seem to make sense.  Maybe it's my neuro-emotion?  That's a thought...

Very glad I decided to hold till after Christmas. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

Today worse and hate life. Not been like this for months. So tired too. Nightmare xxx

Oh me oh my. First time in two years I couldn't sleep at all. Stupid me had dinner late and friend gave me coffee around 8. Son got bad cold too so my anxiety hit roof all night sweating etc. Feel tired and not on planet. X

• Moderator Emeritus

Well that's your 3-in-a-row bad luck things.  Surely tomorrow will be better :).  Where is Crawley?  Can you go outside and put your feet on the grass?  Get re-connected to the planet? 

8 month hold.

Crawley near gatwick airport. Been out with kiddies watching christmas films. Made me chill. Xx

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope you having lovely time. Thanks always being there for me. Let's hope new year better xx

• Moderator Emeritus

i hope you had a lovely Holiday, Joannatm!

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

How you feeling kt38? Hope you had more windows xxx

Hi!  I'm bad.  I think I nailed it what is happening to me....my nervous system is EXTREMELY hypersensitive and any little thought or movement that rushes it even a little bit agitates me soooooooooo much.  I am full of agitation.  I just want my system to chill out, but it won't.  How are you doing?

Do you know that's exactly how I feel. Agitated and some days feel my heart and legs pulsating. I so wanted to be at least 90% ok over Christmas but unfort not. Negative thoughts awful. I sometimes think I not going to be around for long and feel counting days and then I have a day or two kinda norm. Is that norm? Hate it and can't accept it xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi kt30 and joannatm, 

Withdrawal really does suck and I've said it before but we really are between a rock and a hard place!  

I had to take my cat to the emergency hospital last night for a urinary blockage, with high kidney values from going toxic.  Aside from unblocking him, there's really nothing they could do other than support him with pain meds, electrolytes, fluids and time to allow him to heal, and that's how we are.  There's nothing we can take that will make withdrawal go away, other than up-dosing if we are lucky enough for that to help; otherwise, all we can do is support ourselves and wait for healing. 

So, that is the trick:  supporting ourselves by sitting tight an not feeding neuro-emotions with ruminations that reinforce the fear and stress.  Distraction distraction distraction!  Visit the self- help section again as there are tons of ideas for things to do to help us get through as unscathed as possible.  I myself am feverishly playing Plants vs Zombies!  Let loved ones know you need a little help; don't be a martyr and feel like you need to keep functioning at the highest level when others are available to lighten the load.

I think it bears repeating over and over, that all the nasty symptoms you are experiencing are signs of your nervous system HEALING.  Hard to see it as a positive, I know, but this is key to putting a halt to the negative ruminations, and you just have to keep trying to talk yourself up instead of down.

I was just reading MrAnxious' story as he just gave an update 3 years out and is 95% healed!  He was in bad shape when he first came here.  joannatm, you are right at that spot 7 months out where it gets darkest before the sun shines!  You've got to remind yourself that tomorrow may be the day you get that window!  Windows may happen for just a minute or two, but they will be a sure sign of healing and improvement.  Unfortunately, withdrawal isn't linear and sometimes you can go into a pretty awful wave where people say "shouldn't it be getting better, not worse?!!!"  But again, nurture yourself and remind yourself "it's just withdrawal - this is not Me, and I am healing!"

Just keep taking it one moment at a time and try not to visit "the Future!"

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Thank you so much for post. I get frustrated. All this month been bad but previous month had about two three weeks fab. I think to myself how can a tablet wd make you this bad. Xx

I've found 9 month hard really hard. Gutted. It's the anxiety and negative thoughts I can't stand. I wasn't like this before it was pnd after baby number 2. I was emotional and sad. Xxx

Can't find Mr anxious post x

• Moderator Emeritus

I seem to recall than 8-9 months out can be a tricky stage for people - lord knows why, just another seemingly random aspect to these drugs.  It should pass.

8 month hold.

Seriously. Thought I be fairly ok for Christmas but unfort feel anxious tired horrible thoughts tears last two weeks on and off. Xx wonder why 9 month mark x

• Moderator Emeritus

joannatm, I have read that sometime after 7 months a big wave can hit, so that might be where you are at.  Hang in there, Girl - it will pass!  It is a tough time but please recognize that it is a recognizable pattern in withdrawal.  I think it brings us to our knees, feeling the fear and despair to the nth degree again, feeling hopeless, will this ever end, etc. etc.  Despite those feelings, you gotta hang on and say "wait a minute - these are all neuro-emotions and caused by withdrawal!  This is not Me!!"  It will pass!

I like the pdf that nz11 put on his intro when he first joined, by bilo.  It might help to read it.  Flag:  it's pretty ugly at first, but if you keep reading you will find her coming out the other side feeling wonderful!  She does experience a re-emergence of full-blown withdrawal 3 years out after resuming vigorous exercise, so it is interesting to see that our systems remain sensitized for years.  No doctor would ever recognize that as a recurrence of withdrawal symptoms, so I have to hand it to her to keep her head about it and recognize it for what it was!

Look at the bottom of nz11's first post to see the pdf:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7571-%E2%98%BC-nz11-climbs-onboard/

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

See the December 10th entry in particular!  

SG

• Moderator Emeritus

Correction, the wave hit two years out, and was not due to exercise - don't know where I pulled that from!  Anyway, you can see her going through the same thinking that we all have had somewhere along the line, but she came out of it, and we will, too!  We just need to not give up!

SG

I will have a read. Thank you so very much for all your advice. Some days feel so bad with anxiety and negative thoughts just can't control them. I seemed to have settled a little over two days. Still lingering background but feel come out of wave again and hoping window. How are you getting on lately? Any windows? Xx

How you doing kt38? How was christmas I hope you having windows. X

My little girl's brain cancer came back and they are saying it is untreatable.  How am I supposed to survive watching my 6 yr old girl die?  Life is not fair and makes no sense.  I have been having bad headaches over this and can't take Advil because it is too stimulating right now.  That is how crazy sensitive I am to anything. 

OMG I am so sorry to hear hun. Had no idea u going through such awful time. No wonder you feeling way u do. My heart is so with u hun xxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Joanna , hold onto the thoughts of the windows when you feel really grim. Because the fact

that you have them is a glimpse of what your brain is still capable of , the light at the end of

the tunnel.

Are you taking any supplements?

Many people feel more calm with magnesium , and taking that with fish oil helps us recover from

damage accumulated over the years.

Try reading http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

and

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thank you ever so much fresh. I do try to hold on. Xx

Hello everyone. How are you all doing? I've kinda had a 7 to nearly 8 day window about 80% good bit bang tonite I'm crying no reason. Bl..ming nightmare.

Not heard from any of you guys so I'm hoping for you having windows.

Xxxx