SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Junglechicken

So, I saw my GP this morning.....

She said that the 17.7 FSH result was to be expected due to hormonal fluctuations and said that I should do another test in 3 months time.  She asked about hot flushes, night sweats, missed periods.  My previous FSH test result was actually 8.2.

I also mentioned my IBS and bladder issues, aches and pains, and she said it is likely to do with my "anxious state", and the dose drop - I thanked her for mentioning that.  She thought I was on 5mg Lexapro, but I had to correct her that I am actually on 1.25mg. She suggested increasing the dose, and I had to say that I'm desperate to get off the stuff due to the problems I have had with it.

She said "we'll keep an eye on things".

She also seemed annoyed with me, which is frustrating as I'm not making this stuff up.

Am still suffering with IBS and bladder issues.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

She said that the 17.7 FSH result was to be expected due to hormonal fluctuations and said that I should do another test in 3 months time. 

'

That makes sense.  I don't think you should be overly worried about the FSH levels. You are at or near the "changes" so hormones will be all over the place.

I also mentioned my IBS and bladder issues, aches and pains, and she said it is likely to do with my "anxious state", and the dose drop -

Clearly, she is not worried about the parade of horribles that have run through your mind so that should ease your concern.  Did you ask her about scans, etc?  I'm not sure what "anxious state" means -- if she is being understanding that the "dose drop" could be causing anxiety then that is good. If she's accusing you of being "hysterical" that's not so good.  If she attributed things to your "dose drop" you'd think she would have been even more persuaded when she found out you were on 1/4 of what she thought!

She said "we'll keep an eye on things".

Not sure what that means but clearly suggests she has no "acute" concerns.

She also seemed annoyed with me, which is frustrating as I'm not making this stuff up.

What a shock!  A doctor that can't relate to a patient that presents with a condition that is not "black and white" -- welcome to 2017 medicine.  If you don't fit into the 5-10 minute "box" it's your problem -- not theirs.

You know your body.  You have a systemic issue that is being caused, most likely in my view, by the change in medicine levels impacting the hormonal system.  It is going take time to sort it out and return to homeostasis.  You are right to make sure nothing else is going on, but after that you need to try to accept and move forward with the challenges.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,

Thank you, and just to mention that you are incredibly articulate in summing things up.

No I didn't mention scans, (GPs over here tend to avoid unnecessary scans and tests as there isn't the budget) but the bowel and bladder issues seem to correlate with my CNS realising that its missing 50% of its usual daily poison.  This most recent IBS episode was set off by my last interview.  I think you guys were right in that this is all WD related, especially my body pains.

She didn't clarify what she meant by "keeping an eye on things" - hormone levels?? symptoms I mentioned??  Once again, I didn't ask as I felt stressed.

So true re: the black/white analogy of not fitting into their 5-10 min box!  

This morning, I had 3, yes 3 bowel movements.  More to come I expect.

Really, I've got to calm myself down.....and as you say "accept and move forward with the challenges".  I keep being told to do "inner work" etc.,

Best,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

you are incredibly articulate in summing things up.

Thank you for the kind words.

the bowel and bladder issues seem to correlate with my CNS realising that its missing 50% of its usual daily poison.  This most recent IBS episode was set off by my last interview.  I think you guys were right in that this is all WD related, especially my body pains.

You are like me, JC.  You find it hard, bordering on the impossible, to believe that these drugs in such small amounts can really be causing these problems.  Logically, and analytically, we see the story IN OTHERS over and over, but it can't possibly be affecting ME in this way.  I am not pointing this at you, mind you, because I am exactly the same.  It MUST BE [fill in the blank] as it CAN'T BE the withdrawal.  The problem with this is that it leads to (i) health anxiety because we NEED to find something else to cause the problems and the list is endless and (ii) inability to calm down when the symptoms hit.  I have been working on this over and over and have been slowly making gains in acceptance.  It is so very hard but that is the place I would encourage you to focus more time and attention.  

She didn't clarify what she meant by "keeping an eye on things" - hormone levels?? symptoms I mentioned??  Once again, I didn't ask as I felt stressed.

Welcome to the proverbial "garbage pail", "catch-all", [add your cliche here].  When docs don't know what to do they say "we'll keep an eye on it." The reality is that she will have 20 patients today at 7 minutes each and will have forgotten about your case by midday.  Not her fault -- it is what is.  It just requires us to be responsible in large measure for our own care of things that are not acutely apparent when we show up in the doc's office.  If you push hard enough you will get a diagnosis of CFS, ME or some other generalized syndrome with discomfort and no obvious cure.  You will also get a prescription for Lyrica, Gabapentin or something in that family.  The better option is to have YOU "keep an eye on it" and if it gets significantly worse you will know.  Otherwise, this will improve with time -- how much is anybody's guess -- but it will.

This morning, I had 3, yes 3 bowel movements.  More to come I expect.

As I said the other day -- I am all too familiar with this as a "symptom."  There is a website called "benzo buddies."  Perhaps we can start "bowel buddies?"  :P

Really, I've got to calm myself down.....and as you say "accept and move forward with the challenges".  I keep being told to do "inner work" etc.,

And, as you are fully aware, the most significant pearl in your entire post is quoted above.  So much easier said than done but the real "gold" in this process is figuring this out (or so I'm told as I am still battling this process).  People say that when they are through withdrawal they have a significantly greater outlook on life and learning the tools to deal with things is the primary reason.

Therefore, GO FORTH AND MEDITATE.

Best,

Andy

Edited by apace41

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

18 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Thank you for the kind words.

You are like me, JC.  You find it hard, bordering on the impossible, to believe that these drugs in such small amounts can really be causing these problems.  Logically, and analytically, we see the story IN OTHERS over and over, but it can't possibly be affecting ME in this way.  I am not pointing this at you, mind you, because I am exactly the same.  It MUST BE [fill in the blank] as it CAN'T BE the withdrawal.  The problem with this is that it leads to (i) health anxiety because we NEED to find something else to cause the problems and the list is endless and (ii) inability to calm down when the symptoms hit.  I have been working on this over and over and have been slowly making gains in acceptance.  It is so very hard but that is the place I would encourage you to focus more time and attention.  

Welcome to the proverbial "garbage pail", "catch-all", [add your cliche here].  When docs don't know what to do they say "we'll keep an eye on it." The reality is that she will have 20 patients today at 7 minutes each and will have forgotten about your case by midday.  Not her fault -- it is what is.  It just requires us to be responsible in large measure for our own care of things that are not acutely apparent when we show up in the doc's office.  If you push hard enough you will get a diagnosis of CFS, ME or some other generalized syndrome with discomfort and no obvious cure.  You will also get a prescription for Lyrica, Gabapentin or something in that family.  The better option is to have YOU "keep an eye on it" and if it gets significantly worse you will know.  Otherwise, this will improve with time -- how much is anybody's guess -- but it will.

As I said the other day -- I am all too familiar with this as a "symptom."  There is a website called "benzo buddies."  Perhaps we can start "bowel buddies?"  :P

And, as you are fully aware, the most significant pearl in your entire post is quoted above.  So much easier said than done but the real "gold" in this process is figuring this out (or so I'm told as I am still battling this process).  People say that when they are through withdrawal they have a significantly greater outlook on life and learning the tools to deal with things is the primary reason.

Therefore, GO FORTH AND MEDITATE.

Best,

Andy

Andy,

A masterpiece of a response!!

Love the idea of "bowel buddies" :D:D , I tell you, its getting ridiculous the number of visits to the loo.  How am I going to cope in the workplace??

Yeah, its a battle alright, a battle of one's sanity......mind over matter.  Forget crossing Antarctica solo with a dogsled, try tapering off an AD!!!!

Best,

JC

Edited by apace41

Major Life Events: 

11 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Andy,

A masterpiece of a response!!

Love the idea of "bowel buddies" :D:D , I tell you, its getting ridiculous the number of visits to the loo.  How am I going to cope in the workplace??

Yeah, its a battle alright, a battle of one's sanity......mind over matter.  Forget crossing Antarctica solo with a dogsled, try tapering off an AD!!!!

Best,

JC

Hi JC and Andy:

Can I join "bowel buddies" with you? Lol...

It's a battle alright, one I wish I didn't have!

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Frogie,

Of course!!! Why would you want to miss out on the fun?!

My bowel is NOT GOOD today, I'm in pain.

Hey ho, will "have to keep an eye on it" and suffer.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

will "have to keep an eye on it"

Be careful, JC.  That sounds somewhat awkward and potentially dangerous!

B)

Best,

Andy

Just now, Junglechicken said:

Frogie,

TC,

JC xxx

JC:

I just read that your GP wants to keep an eye on things. Sorry you didn't get better answers.

I've been 3 times in 45 minutes, and more to come I'm sure.

I woke up a little nauseous this morning. But my routine in changing today. The lady across the street actually invited me over this morning for a visit. Then I have therapy an hour away this afternoon. My fiancé is on city council and tonight is their holiday party, not looking forward to that. But I'll be ok.

Hope you are ok. :)

Better go get in the shower, so I don't stink lol..

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

5 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Frogie,

TC,

JC xxx

Have you had a colonoscopy? I was having these bowel problems and 50 anyways, so my dr had me do one.

Not one polyp. So I don't know what my problem is.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie,

No, I haven't had a colonoscopy or any of those bowel investigations done.  Nor have I had cystoscopy or scans done in the "female area".

That's the fourth visit to the bathroom today, and I'm belching and have bad flatulence.

Then there is the pain through the GI tract.

Ugghh! Am I going to live?

TC,

JC xx

P.S This is the worst IBS I have ever had.

Major Life Events: 

10 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Hi Frogie,

No, I haven't had a colonoscopy or any of those bowel investigations done.  Nor have I had cystoscopy or scans done in the "female area".

That's the fourth visit to the bathroom today, and I'm belching and have bad flatulence.

Then there is the pain through the GI tract.

Ugghh! Am I going to live?

TC,

JC xx

P.S This is the worst IBS I have ever had.

JC:

The prep wasn't as bad as everyone talks about. You do get cleaned out though.

I'm keeping up with you. 4th time for me in the last 1 1/2 hours. But no belching.

We are all going to live through this! 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Junglechicken

I think GPs in GB at least think that if they give meds and check that this is nothing threatening your life they have done enough.  I don't think they are into trying to make the patient comfortable in everyday life, or helping us to improve our quality of life.  They do not see their role as a confidant, advocate or anything similar, they just want us in and out of the surgery as soon as possible.  They have quite a demoralising role in life now that they no longer see themselves as family doctors, they are more like businesses balancing costs and profits.  If you are having a heart attack they are able to do CPR, and if you have an infection they will give you an antibiotic and if they think you have anything more serious like cancer they will send you to a specialist, but they don't really help with any form of mental illness.  This is just my opinion of course!

I am sure there are good GPs in the UK, and some of my client's have good GPs, but not on the whole.

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

Just now, Frogie said:

JC:

The prep wasn't as bad as everyone talks about. You do get cleaned out though.

I'm keeping up with you. 4th time for me in the last 1 1/2 hours. But no belching.

We are all going to live through this! 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Great!

Yup, I think I've shocked my system with that drop as I had held at 2.5mg for over 2 years.

It didn't take long for my body to catch up did it?  I mean to respond with all this.  I've had belching and flatulence.

Oh dear Frogie, yours will be to do with the Ibuprofen you took for the back pain.  

My choice is to updose back to what I was on and see what happens or ride this out and hope I don't die along the way.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

1 minute ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Junglechicken

I think GPs in GB at least think that if they give meds and check that this is nothing threatening your life they have done enough.  I don't think they are into trying to make the patient comfortable in everyday life, or helping us to improve our quality of life.  They do not see their role as a confidant, advocate or anything similar, they just want us in and out of the surgery as soon as possible.  They have quite a demoralising role in life now that they no longer see themselves as family doctors, they are more like businesses balancing costs and profits.  If you are having a heart attack they are able to do CPR, and if you have an infection they will give you an antibiotic and if they think you have anything more serious like cancer they will send you to a specialist, but they don't really help with any form of mental illness.  This is just my opinion of course!

I am sure there are good GPs in the UK, and some of my client's have good GPs, but not on the whole.

Joy

Hi Joy,

I think you're right, the cost management side is a major aspect of their job these days given how tight the NHS is with budgets.  A GP friend of ours quit being a Partner at her practice as the hours were ridiculous despite the amazing pay, and she never saw her child.

I'm getting more help from my Naturopath and Therapist on the physical side of this illness.  

Will say it again, I also think Andy et al., are right in that my symptoms are to do with the dose drop and very likely current stressors (i.e. back to back interviews, house purchase, parental issues).

How are you coping with WD?

JC

Major Life Events: 

11 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Great!

Yup, I think I've shocked my system with that drop as I had held at 2.5mg for over 2 years.

It didn't take long for my body to catch up did it?  I mean to respond with all this.  I've had belching and flatulence.

Oh dear Frogie, yours will be to do with the Ibuprofen you took for the back pain.  

My choice is to updose back to what I was on and see what happens or ride this out and hope I don't die along the way.

TC,

JC xxx

I'm sure you did shock your system with a 50% drop. You should have tried a 10% or even less because you are on such a low dose. But if you have too you can go up a little. This summer, Andy worked with me and I had to go up to stabilize. But that was me.

Mine might have some of the ibuprofen, but I go to the bathroom a lot in the morning. 

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

My gem of a Naturopath has just said that the IBS sounds like its to do with my change in meds!

You guys were right 100% - apologies for being so stubborn and refusing to admit the same.

She said "take the peppermint oil, charcoal tabs rest and be kind to yourself".

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

You guys were right 100% - apologies for being so stubborn and refusing to admit the same.

JC,

Far be it for anyone on this site to tell you, "I told you so."  If, as I hope you will be, you are fortunate enough to get through a 50% drop with "only" IBS and related problems (and remain fully functional throughout), we can mark that down as a huge "win" by my standards.  Having said that, as I just conveyed on my thread in response to a post from RachelSusan, I would strongly advocate that you stay where you are and see how you adjust. If you need to updose if things get unmanageable, you can always do that later.  People have a tendency to panic and jump their dose right back up and, as the saying goes, "wash, rinse, repeat."  This can create a greater level of intractability in the taper process, what some would refer to as "kindling", as the brain tries to adjust to the up and down pattern taking place.  So, while I know you are not comfortable, see how you do after you stick it out for a bit.  Of course, please let us know if you sense things getting meaningfully worse.

After all, the running to the bathroom is inconvenient but not catastrophic and the flatulence is probably a bigger issue for your husband that it is for you.  ;)

Best,

Andy

1 minute ago, apace41 said:

JC,

Far be it for anyone on this site to tell you, "I told you so."  If, as I hope you will be, you are fortunate enough to get through a 50% drop with "only" IBS and related problems (and remain fully functional throughout), we can mark that down as a huge "win" by my standards.  Having said that, as I just conveyed on my thread in response to a post from RachelSusan, I would strongly advocate that you stay where you are and see how you adjust. If you need to updose if things get unmanageable, you can always do that later.  People have a tendency to panic and jump their dose right back up and, as the saying goes, "wash, rinse, repeat."  This can create a greater level of intractability in the taper process, what some would refer to as "kindling", as the brain tries to adjust to the up and down pattern taking place.  So, while I know you are not comfortable, see how you do after you stick it out for a bit.  Of course, please let us know if you sense things getting meaningfully worse.

After all, the running to the bathroom is inconvenient but not catastrophic and the flatulence is probably a bigger issue for your husband that it is for you.  ;)

Best,

Andy

Andy,

Thanks and love it: "After all, the running to the bathroom is inconvenient but not catastrophic and the flatulence is probably a bigger issue for your husband that it is for you.  ;)"

Yup, will see how it goes before updosing... having reviewed my food diary, I had the IBS and bladder issues going on before the dose drop.

And I'm not just getting away with really bad IBS and bladder issues with this drop, I also have the body aches and pains, crying spells, HA and anxiety, extra high pitched tinnitus.  

This WD is still not AS bad as the one I experienced over 2 yrs ago.

Back to the WD ranks it is.

Best,

JC

Major Life Events: 

• Mentor

Hi JC,

One of the great things about this site is nobody ever judges anyone else.  If they did I would be found guilty over and over. We are just a bunch of people in pain trying to find our way out of this mess, and we are doing it together. I want to wish you the best of luck with your current symptoms. The body aches and pains I can relate to, I never had tinnitus from withdrawal but I have had bad inner ear pressure.  We are all rooting for you to feel better JC. 

xoxo

RachelSusan

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

2 minutes ago, RachelSusan said:

Hi JC,

One of the great things about this site is nobody ever judges anyone else.  If they did I would be found guilty over and over. We are just a bunch of people in pain trying to find our way out of this mess, and we are doing it together. I want to wish you the best of luck with your current symptoms. The body aches and pains I can relate to, I never had tinnitus from withdrawal but I have had bad inner ear pressure.  We are all rooting for you to feel better JC. 

xoxo

RachelSusan

Bless you, and thank you RS :wub:

You've hit the nail on the head......I said to my GP that I wish I had never started taking the wretched ADs in the first place.

Have just seen a black cat trot past our sliding doors which made me jump, and told it to b****r off!

We're all rooting for you too RS and thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JC

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus
37 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

And I'm not just getting away with really bad IBS and bladder issues with this drop, I also have the body aches and pains, crying spells, HA and anxiety, extra high pitched tinnitus.  

Sorry, JC. I didn't mean to suggest this wasn't a struggle on many fronts.  My only point was that I didn't sense that things had gotten significantly worse since the major cut.  If that is accurate then you are still doing really well.

Best,

Andy

Just now, apace41 said:

Sorry, JC. I didn't mean to suggest this wasn't a struggle on many fronts.  My only point was that I didn't sense that things had gotten significantly worse since the major cut.  If that is accurate then you are still doing really well.

Best,

Andy

Andy,

Its ok, I didn't take what you meant the wrong way.

Thank you for your support its much appreciated.  As you say, I could have had this a LOT worse per the last time.

Best,

JC

Major Life Events: 

24 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Bless you, and thank you RS :wub:

You've hit the nail on the head......I said to my GP that I wish I had never started taking the wretched ADs in the first place.

Have just seen a black cat trot past our sliding doors which made me jump, and told it to b****r off!

We're all rooting for you too RS and thank you for stopping by, I really appreciate it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

JC

HC:

Did you know black cats are actually good luck? They are.

So you got your good luck today. :)

I have a black cat so where is my good luck???

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 minute ago, Frogie said:

HC:

Did you know black cats are actually good luck? They are.

So you got your good luck today. :)

I have a black cat, do where is my good luck???

Take care,

Frogie xx

You know what Frogie, maybe they are!!!

My IBS has settled..........finally :) but its taken the whole day.

I told it to shoo off because it was making a racket outside.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 minute ago, Junglechicken said:

The cat or your IBS, JC?  ;)

Just now, apace41 said:

LOL!!!! :D

Major Life Events: 

You know what Frogie, maybe they are!!!

My IBS has settled..........finally :) but its taken the whole day.

TC,

JC xxx

They are good luck. Everyone thinks the opposite.

I'm glad your IBS has settled. Mine has until around 4 this afternoon, then it will start back up because of thinking about the party (I wrote a note on my thread). Wish me luck.

My fiancé feeds the feral cats. We have I think I counted 12 kittens (6 months or so old) plus mom and dads. But we have no mice or bugs outside. They run when you go outside, so it's ok. 

It's 9:45am, Friday here, so I have about 8 hours until I act up again. Hopefully I won't during the party tonight, so embarrassing. :(

Take care,

Frogie xx

6 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Boy Andy you ate your Wheaties today didn't you? Or you are feeling better, I hope.

I'm glad you still have your sence of humor, even through all of this. :)

Read my post on my thread, you'll get a kick out of it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

6 minutes ago, Frogie said:

They are good luck. Everyone thinks the opposite.

I'm glad your IBS has settled. Mine has until around 4 this afternoon, then it will start back up because of thinking about the party (I wrote a note on my thread). Wish me luck.

My fiancé feeds the feral cats. We have I think I counted 12 kittens (6 months or so old) plus mom and dads. But we have no mice or bugs outside. They run when you go outside, so it's ok. 

It's 9:45am, Friday here, so I have about 8 hours until I act up again. Hopefully I won't during the party tonight, so embarrassing. :(

Take care,

Frogie xx

Too funny Frogie!!

Sounds like you and your fiancé have a bit of a cat breeding operation going on, lol :D

We fed the squirrels in our garden back in Calgary as it was SO cold outside - I mean who can resist a cute little fluffy creature with a bottle brush of a tail?!  The trouble is they all got too fat to climb the trees...........also, we pissed off the neighbours!

Hope you get through the party ok, know exactly how you feel about that.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

Off to the nutty neighbors house. Just what I need today.

Already nuts enough not seeing my therapist, but that's the way it goes.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Too funny Frogie!!

Sounds like you and your fiancé have a bit of a cat breeding operation going on, lol :D

We fed the squirrels in our garden back in Calgary as it was SO cold outside - I mean who can resist a cute little fluffy creature with a bottle brush of a tail?!  The trouble is they all got too fat to climb the trees...........also, we pissed off the neighbours!

Hope you get through the party ok, know exactly how you feel about that.

TC,

JC xxx

I thought rabbits multiplied, but nothing like cats.

Our renter says they are running through their yard, they are keeping the mice and bugs away there too!

Hope the party goes well. 

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 minute ago, Frogie said:

I thought rabbits multiplied, but nothing like cats.

Our renter says they are running through their yard, they are keeping the mice and bugs away there too!

Hope the party goes well. 

Take care,

Frogie xx

:D:D

Oh dear, thanks for making me laugh, Andy too!!!!

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

Hi JC

I am doing well in WD thanks JC.  I tend to do well for quite a few weeks and then very suddenly crash with dramatic symptoms that really disable me.  My pattern is that I then panic and leap back to 20 mg.  I used to take 30 mg.  I am just under 18 mg now.  I get the standard nausea, sweating, dizziness, dry vomiting and headaches, also chills.  Just the usual but in a dramatic fashion.  If I leap back to 20 mg I get well very quickly, but then start feeling dull and apathetic and a little fatter, so start to reduce again.

I have long ago given up hope of getting off citalopram completely, my goal is now to reduce to 10 mg.

I have taken ADs for 40 odd years now minus 6 months, even while pregnant, which goes against me, and many many other serious psychiatric meds.  Looking back at times I have definitely needed help but there have been too many drugs and in seriously high dosages and for a long time.  I am surprised I have a brain or body left at all, but am in fact quite healthy in body and mind now.  I don't have any depression or anxiety now, or any physical health complaints that I know about.  In that respect I am lucky.

So at present I feel really well.  When I get the bad symptoms I cannot believe how bad they are, much worse than my diazepam withdrawal but not as bad as my dothiepin withdrawal.

It could have been worse though, I was once prescribed antipsychotics and instinctively knew they were not for me.  Only took them for 3 days and never again.  I also never had ECT, even though it was suggested, somehow it just never happened, and for that I am grateful. 

I feel I can see both sides of the coin, how sometimes the right meds at the right dose for the right length of time can be useful, but they are never prescribed in this way.

When I first got better from my anxiety and depression about 8 years ago when I was 50, it was a real shock to me.  At a time when other women were struggling with the menopause and getting depressed and anxious I just got completely well 4 weeks after my last period.  Of course, I only knew retrospectively it had been my last period.  I remember walking from my bathroom to my lounge once Tuesday morning about 11 am and just knowing that I had got better.  Then I kept looking around for my 'lost illness' - it was like something was missing in my life.  It had taken up years of my life and then had gone.

I think I had had what they call 'reproductive depression' but there isn't much research into it.  Ironically there is a specialist in this 24 miles from me, but I could never afford the fees.  Looking back I think I needed hormone treatment and not psychiatric treatment.  I used to feel very bitter and angry about it all, I also had an abusive childhood and first marriage, which will not have helped.

I have come to some sort of acceptance now.

Joy

Wow,

What a journey you've been on Joy! Thank you for telling me your AD background......its still amazes me what can be endured.

You're still getting really nasty symptoms though.....I could be talking out of turn here, but these drugs seem almost as bad as the side effects of chemo don't they?  My hair has been falling out for months now, on top of the other "stuff".  I wonder if depression and anxiety are seen as a "mental cancer", so the medical profession shove these drugs at us in an attempt to shut us down completely.

I'm sad you went through abuse in your childhood and then your first marriage.   Do you think its taken you 40 yrs to reach acceptance?  Did you have therapy to help you get there or was it a case of healing over time without therapy?

Its strange how the "illness" is a part of us (our identity) for a period of our lifetime, and I wonder what life will be like when its gone, along with all the associated symptoms.  Certainly the medication changes our bodies and minds.

Thank you again for your invaluable insight to cystitis, I am going to look for the Angela Kilmartin book too.

JC

Major Life Events: 

I have never had therapy but my GP offered it to me last year but I felt I didn't need it.

3 years ago I reported the abuse in my first marriage to the police as I had medical evidence and for the first time in my life I felt strong enough to do it. A year gone August on a Tuesday morning the police visited my first husband about my complaint and that afternoon he hanged himself successfully.  His widow contacted me by text but I got it a day late as part phone reception is poor at our farm.

That threw me but I recovered from it without going on more pills.

I get side effects of weight gain and lethargy from taking citalopram and severe withdrawal at times but most days I feel really well.

I will stay on citalopram if I have to.  My GP thinks I will not get further than 10 mg.  I really don't know but I enjoy my working life at present and won't letyield get so I'll. I have to go off sick.  I would at that point take more pills if I had to.

Yes I have reached acceptance now bit I complained to NHS England about my care or lack of it over the years.  Since I made the official complaint my doctors have respected me a lot more.

Regarding the cystitis there are so many factors that you need to look at everything in angela kilmartins books.  You may have urethritis or may need to change your diet.  You may have thrush or hormone imbalance you may be too clean or not clean enough you may be allergic to toiletries or certain birth control may not suit you.

The bladder  area is full of nerve endings to keep us visiting the toilet when we need but it means when we are anxious we become more aware of our bladders.

Some people have too much sex for their bodies.

In her books she explores all options.

I do know our bodies like regular settled lives and routines and that if we are changing jobs or looking for work we are not settled.  For our bodies to function well they need our minds to be settled.

I used to use simple soap and cotton undies but now I use anything and synthetic control.pants.  I used to get a lot of thrush but don't now I have reduced sugar in my diet.

For IBS I used to take buscopan which I found very good.

Your analogy about cancer is wise but cancer is still.more socially acceptable. 

We need better psychiatric meds for those that do need them but there is no current research into it as companies are afraid of being sued.

Cystitis and IBS are functioning diseases and not organic and so doctors ignore them

Take care and I hope I haven't depressed you.  If you really work on your cystitis causes you should be able to get a lot b of control back