angie007

Female hormone issues: perimenopause, menopause, WD or something else?

angie007

HI Gals,

Its me again, cant post in my own thread, so i hope Sur, you wont mind me starting another thread.

I was reading on a menopause website today, and was absolutely dumbfounded to find so many women

in perimenopause and post menopause complaining about the exact same symptoms we all have here.

So knowing what paxil does to the adrenal glands and hormones in our bodys, it started me thinking

about the correlation between the two.

Tomorrow im off for blood works and an ECG, my doctor is sure that all will come back fine, me,

Im almost hoping that something will be picked up, that can be treated and i can be in a better place,

as regards the anxiety and the jittery/shaky feelings.

My question as, as i am officially in menopause or likely post menoapuse, as i havent had my monthly

present for good girls for 2 yrs 14/2/2011, does anyone here consider that possibly i may have both

things going on at the same time???

Would treatment to help balance hormones possibly help in some small way??

Although i always envisaged doing a very natural menopause, i wasnt expecting to have wd

from a legal prescription drug at the same time.

Any thoughts???

Angie

Neuroplastic

Hey, Angie! I moved this topic to the "Symptoms and what helps" forum. Folks will find it more easily - they may be experiencing similar things and will look for it in here. :)

angie007

Thanxs Neuro, for some reason i couldnt post on my own thread?

summer

Hi Angie...

My daughter is in perimeno also, and it's incredulous how completely similar our symptoms are. She has always been a happy- go-lucky person, very mellow, and unlike me in those way. These days, I don't know who is more cranky! I also have to add that her gyno suggested 10mgs of Celexa, which she opted for even though she knows all about what I'm dealing with. The good thing is that at my suggestion, she has tapered down to 5mg and is doing okay in that area. Part of her being so anxious could be the Celexa as well as the perimeno, but I'm not going there now. At least she is down from 10mg to 5.

So, in answer to your question, I absolutely do think the symptoms of meno and w/d are very much the same. Thinking back, that's when I first started on an AD also... when I was in perimeno. I thought it actually helped me at the time. I was lucky and had few problems with meno.

I don't have any idea what to suggest to you or her. Massages help and so does having a restful nite. So does being very wealthy and having someone wait on you hand and foot. ;)

Hopeful

Angie, there is no doubt in my mind we were hit with a double whammy!!

angie007

Well, just an update guys,

I went for my ecg and had my bloods drawn, get the results on wednesday next week,

although i really dont think they will find anything.

I have been tested for everything today, heart, mpv, liver function,

iron, vitamins, thyroid, oh heck there was a long list, cant remember anymore lol.

I think you girls are right, and yes ive had the double whammy, what with menopause right

in the middle of my taper - how bloody inconsiderate of my selfish hormones lol.

Never mind, the best of it is, that if and when my test results come back normal,

my doctor will validate me fully, by writing on my notes, seroxat wd hurray!!!!

The internal jittering and shaky feelings still continue, along with some nervousness,

and anxiety, but hey, not at the levels it has been over the last couple of weeks.

Anybody recommend anything to calm all of this down??? as i think i could live some sort

of a better life without all of this.

Angie

angie007

Ahh sorry guys,

Forgot to mention, the shoulder pain with tingling in my arm ,

gives me the sensation of a general weakness in my arm and hand???

Although it stops me doing nothing,

Is this another free gift from gsk????????

Need your reassurance to ease my worried mind.

Cor, i just hope i dont develop health anxiety lol, having to go through this,

although it is one of the more milder problems.

Angie

angie007

Cor, just the fact ive had zero response from this thread is really

driving my anxiety.

stan

Cor, just the fact ive had zero response from this thread is really

driving my anxiety.

i would reply, but i know nothing about menopause (hope you will smile)

Healing

OK, re: the shoulder. "I'm not a doctor," :) but it sounds like you *might* have muscle tension pressing on a nerve. W/D definitely causes terrible muscle tension and all the things that can lead to. Have you ever done chiropractic? I have found it helpful to get an adjustment for a pain like this. How do you feel about massages? Massages are a double-edged sword in w/d -- they can be too stimulating -- but a targeted bit of work on your neck and shoulder might help.

Re: the anxiety in general -- you are heading in the right direction since you stopped the mag. Let's see what a few more days does. Are you keeping moving to help the akathisia, and doing your breathing?

Keep telling yourself this is a feeling, not a fact. You *feel* in danger, but you are not.

angie007

Stan,

You crack me up buddy lol, thanxs for the laugh x

Healing,

Thankyou so much

Now the other thing is this;- ( told you i was going to keep you all busy lol)

Anyone else had a long slow wd, ok, it hasnt been easy all the way through,

but the last few months, because everything has ramped up to epic proportions

some days, I have become wd, totally obcessed and preoccupied in how i feel

and symptoms etc, it has become my life.

Yes!!! i do my housework, cleaning,washing etc, my home is spotless,

the rest of the time im absorbed, either on the computer, reading etc.

Anyone else get into this horrible way of life in wd too.

Even talking to " normal" people , I often dont take in all they say,

as wd and how i feel is at the forefront of my mind.

Now im at the stage where i have to ditch whats left of my dose shortly,

im afraid to say im terrified, i want my life back, i want to live again,

and slowly but surely forget all about paxil and bloody wd.

Please, somebody tell me this is "normal" for us or even some of us - like little ole me!!!!

Now the other thing is lol,

Once off can i expect the anxiety to get worse??? or does it sometimes get better?

I will sleep so much easier if someone here can make me realise im normal than im feeling right now.

Healing

Oh, it's very normal to go through periods of having nothing in common with "normals." We're going through an experience that is, at times, extreme, and that is, for the most part, still unrecognized by our societies.

It's very possible that you will feel better as soon as you get off. There is just no way to predict. But, I have been astonished to see people who had horrible tapers be dramatically better as soon as they're off.

Yes, you will recover completely and you will have the option of completely forgetting about w/d. Personally, I like the idea of integrating it into your whole life story and finding out how it contributes to the purpose of your life. :)

angie007

Oh, it's very normal to go through periods of having nothing in common with "normals." We're going through an experience that is, at times, extreme, and that is, for the most part, still unrecognized by our societies.

It's very possible that you will feel better as soon as you get off. There is just no way to predict. But, I have been astonished to see people who had horrible tapers be dramatically better as soon as they're off.

Yes, you will recover completely and you will have the option of completely forgetting about w/d. Personally, I like the idea of integrating it into your whole life story and finding out how it contributes to the purpose of your life. :)

How likely is the possibility of feeling better once off, in someone who has been on this drug long term since 97, and only had a ct 4.5 month break during all that time please?

Does length of use of these drugs have any bearing as to how long recovery takes,

in your opinion, ( i know your not GOD lol), purely out of interest you understand.

Healing

Who says I'm not GOD? ;)

(Uh oh, power has already gone to Healing's head! :o )

My comrade-in-w/d, I don't think we have enough of a systematic study yet to predict how you will fare immediately after you get off the meds. Length of time *may* be a factor, but is *not* a one-to-one correlation with anything.

I think your best bet is to say to yourself, "I am neuro-anxious, and, right now, if I weren't anxious about one thing, I'd be anxious about something else."

And then do all your good movement and pottering and breathing and walk into the anxiety. And keep saying over and over what I -- as a little bit of divine light -- *do* know, which is --

You will definitely be OK. You will feel safe and happy and confident again.

Would you consider reading what I wrote on the "Neuro-emotions" topic?

angie007

Hey yes of course id love to read what you wrote lol,

you are wiser than me, you been there and done this,

bring it on, lets read it sista

Altostrata

Hi, angie --

It looks to me like your thread is fine, click on the big blue Reply button at the bottom of it to post an update there.

About menopause -- I was menopausal when I withdrew from Paxil. It seems that being in menopause or perimenopause might make women more vulnerable to withdrawal symptoms.

Menopausal changes also affect the autonomic nervous system as well as all other hormonal systems. You may have overlapping perimenopause and withdrawal symptoms.

I found a bit of relief from a tiny amount of a supplement called DHEA. I gradually worked up to 5mg at night and 2.5mg in the morning for a total of 7.5mg/day. (See cautions below.)

I also experimented with a tiny amount of progesterone cream, and that helped a bit, too.

Finally, in desperation when I lost the ability to sleep, after I had stopped using either DHEA and progesterone for quite a long while, I got a mini-estrogen patch (Menostar), which delivers .14mcg estrogen per day. This did calm me a bit. I am still using it.

All of the above hormonal treatments carry risk. Conservative gynecologists would not recommend them. I always was very careful to use tiny amounts.

Cautions on DHEA -- it is, after all, a quasi-steroid or hormone like testosterone or estrogen.

According to the Physician's Desk Reference:

CONTRAINDICATIONS

DHEA supplementation is contraindicated in those with prostate, breast, uterine and ovarian cancer.

PRECAUTIONS

DHEA supplementation should be avoided by children, adolescents, pregnant women and nursing mothers.

ADVERSE REACTIONS

Various androgenic effects, including acne, deepening of the voice, hirsutism and hair loss have been reported in women using supplemental DHEA. There is a report of transient hepatitis associated with DHEA use by a woman. Decreased HDL-cholesterol levels have been reported in women using oral DHEA. This could increase risk of cardiovascular disease. Elevated IGF (insulin-like growth factor)-1 levels have been noted in both men and women taking oral DHEA. Elevated IGF-1 levels have been associated with increased risk of certain types of cancer, e.g. prostate cancer. Oral DHEA has also been observed to increase insulin resistance when taken by women.

Babs

I turned 50 the year I got off Paxil. I was still having periods but was peri-menopausal for sure, and I think it made it worse. (Hell, turning 50 would make anything worse, even without the withdrawal and the hormonal changes.) Honestly I haven't felt right for the last almost six years but it's impossible to tell how much of that is menopause, how much is Paxil related, and how much is just plain old mid-life crisis/empty nest etc. I am hypersensitive, more emotional, more easily triggered than I ever was pre-Paxil. I use progesterone cream every night and I think it helps a bit with the hot flashes, and if I skip it I definitely feel more bitchy the next day. I can't use synthetic hormones because of a family history of breast cancer (and docs are pretty cautious about using those now anyway). It sucks ... I guess all I can say is "I feel your pain."

squirrel

Hi Maddie, I too turned 50 as I quit paxil and I have not felt well since either for all the same reasons!

Eliotsmum

Hi All: I took SSRI's for 13 years. I stopped April 9, 2011. Tapered off Pristique over a period of 1.5 months. I am also into menopause since 1.5 years ago. Ladies at work who have gone through menopause seem to have had the same symptoms I'm having, so is it stopping the SSRI that's making me feel this way, or menopause or both? I wish I had stopped taking SSRI's a few years from now, after menupause symptoms were over....but her I am. I've been through the bran zaps, iritablity, crying jags, then I turned 49 on April 24. On April 25, the hives started. They were bad. It's now been 2 1/2 months and the hives are startingn to disspiate. I've been managing them with a regular strength antihistamine every 2 days. I've just now gone to every 3 days. Have some hives today, but they don't spread anymore, I don't panic about them because my body seems to be able to get rid of them in a few hours. Now I'm experiencing morning anxiety. Didn't go to work Friday or today, Monday, due to anxiety. Tomorrow morning my boyfrined and I are going to get up 1/2 hour earlier and go for a short walk to see if that helps my anxiety. I do think we are getting a double whammy, but I m determined to get through this. I'm taking calcium/mag, quercetin (for hives) Omega 3, b complex, Vit 3, and black cohosh. Sounds like overkill, but something has got to work. I'm also going to acupunctur for relaxation, and counselling for the anxiety. Grrrrr I had no idea going off that SSRI crap would be so difficult.......I'm trying to be positive and patient, but it is very difficult. I'm also doing relaxation tapes.....Back to menopause....some of the ladies at work are having a very difficult time with menopause.... so it seems everyone goes through something....I still have hope

MrsGreen

Dear Bord Members,

I have been put on 3% progesterone cream (bio-identical) as I have a severe lack of the hormone.

Now I am worried that going off it again will cause severe withdrawals.

Is there any information about this hormone and the effect it can have when going off it again?

Anyone experienced?

Thank you very much,

Mrs Green

Nikki

Hi Mrs. Green...

Why do you have to go off of it? Even with hormones, cold turkey is not a good thing.

Believe me.

Taper the dose the same way we do with AD's.

Eventually I am going to get off HRT (bio-identicals) so I started reading (Google) about taking (6) months to do it. Apparently the test group that did it this way VS the women who went cold turkey had much better results. The women who tapered had a much easier time with symptoms such as aches/pains - irritability - sleep - hot flashes.

Aside from Antiobiotics ~ I don't really think there is a Med out there that may not be discontinuation crapola ;)

Hugs

MrsGreen

Nikki, hello!

I don't have to go off them yet, I just started last Saturday. I have insomnia and hormones are one thing that are apparently out of balance. I just don't want the insomnia to get better - if it is progesterone related - only to have to deal with it all over again when I withdraw from the progesterone.

As you say, if I do it very slowly then it should be no problem.

I am never sure what to believe. I tapered of an antidepressant and have been very insomniac since. I took it because I was suffering from insomnia after my child was born and now I am not sure whether I had a progesterone issue after the birth (which wasn't checked). I am trying not to get myself into more trouble with taking hormones/medication and am very worried that I have to take this hormone. On the other hand I am happy that it might help....

Hugs

Mrs Green

Altostrata

Yes, if you need to quit, taper off progesterone cream or estrogen also.

How has the progesterone cream affected you, Mrs. G?

MrsGreen

Alto, it hasn't affected me yet as I have only been using it for 5 days, just wondering!

MrsGreen

For your information:

I stopped the progesterone cream, I was even more sleepless. And I have been doing research into the fact that it is cancerous. No thank you!

Warm regards,

Mrs Green

xDebbiejo

Would this be natural progesterone cream you are talking about as I use naturone which is natural

Is this bad for me then ?

xDebbiejo

Can someone answer my above post please

Xxx

Barbarannamated

Debbiejo,

I use estrogen and low dose progesterone. My personal belief is that I prefer to use the least harmful products to replace what is naturally occurring in our bodies rather than add drugs. If the progesterone creme helps you, I would stick with it. It is supposed to help with anxiety.

xDebbiejo

Thank you barb

How are you doing?

Xxx

xDebbiejo

But would I still have to taper of the natural cream if I wanted to come off it? xx

Barbarannamated

I think it's always best to taper off of any maintenance therapy because your body has adapted to the presence of the drug/hormone.

I had a few good days away from home followed by a few notsogood days at home. Thanks, Debbiejo.

xo

Nikki

Hi Debbiejo...

I have posted this before about my use of HRT. I use bio-identical hormone replacement:

Estradiol (tablet) 1/2 mg. daily

Progesterone/Testosterone Cream daily

Creams bypass the liver. I had a total hysterectomy in 1999. I could become quite dangerous :o without hormones (LOL)

Progesterone has a somewhat calming effect, meaning that without it the wires in my head are unplugged, same with estrogen (estradiol)more so with estrogen.

My best friend and I had our hysterectomies the same week. She took Premarin (artifical) and then stopped. She has bad Osteoporosis and developed anxiety which she never had in addition to hot flashes.

I do not have bone density loss, or hot flashes and YES I have anxiety, but we all know where that came from.....AD's

I tried a few times to taper Hormones, and it was not worth it. I don't know what your hormone is, but tapering is suggested when coming off hormones.

If you are simply switching hormones, not need to taper, just switch.

Hope this helps.

Hugs

moses

Hi Nikki!

Did you have any negative reactions to testosterone or progesterone?

I am using bio identical for both.

Rosie

xDebbiejo

A homeopath told me to get a natural cream called Naturone for depression. It's from south Africa

Just don't know how long I should be using it for.

It's well expensive but it's meant to be one of the best

Xxxxxx :)

Altostrata

When I experimented with progesterone cream, I got Source Naturals, which I believe is made from soy.

It definitely had an effect, but as I wrote before the dosage was impossible to control and if I took too much, I had a paradoxical reaction.

xDebbiejo

Paradoxical reaction ? Sorry being a bit thick here Alto