SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Freespirit123: Want off drugs

freespirit123

Admin note: link to benzo forum thread: freespirit123: Lunesta

So I've been on Seroqoil nightly for about 3-4 months. I started on 100mg and that only lasted one night. Went to 75mg and that lasted for a couple of weeks then 50mg. Last month I went down to 25mg. And about 4 wks ago I've been on 12-14mg (cutting the 50 in 1/2 then the half in 1/2.) I'm also taking Lunesta 3mg at no hr and about once a week ill need Klonopin.25 bc I have a hard time falling asleep. I've also started Celexa for anxiety during the day.

So question and problem! How do I get off this Seroqoil?!? Like is aid I haven't even taking it long to begin with and I've taped to 12-14mg fine but it seems to mess with my sleep when I try and cut that in half. Don't believe I have the EXtended tablet. Help!!! If it messes with my sleep, is it only temp? I don't want to switch this to get hooked on Klonopin bc that's a nasty drug too!

Edited by Shep
added link to benzo forum thread

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freespirit123

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I'm new to this forum and new to these drugs. It all started 3-4 months ago for sudden insomnia. I've been on 12-14mg of Seroqoil for about a month now. It started with 100mg 3-4 mos ago and that only lasted like a night or two and down to 75mg and then down to 50mg and beginning of Nov I tapered to 25mg. So can someone pretty please help me with what's left? I went from 12-14mg for a week and then cut that in 1/2 for two nights earlier in Nov and tried to stop and had sleepless nights so I upped it to 12-14mg after my dad said I was probably tapering too soon. So now I've been on 12-14mg for about 3-4wks and I'm not understanding how to taper off the rest to avoid insomnia! Can someone help? And I'm purposely not surfing the net bc I don't want to freak myself out and read all the bad stories!

In 2015- had UTI put on Microbid. Stopped sleeping & had a nervous breakdown! Was put on Seroquil, Trazadone, Klonopin, just to name a few! Got off all drugs except Celexa until May of 2018. 

Update as of 1/19- reinstated Celexa 20mg. Drinking wine nightly along with a slew of meds/supplements to try and get to sleep. 

Hi freespirit123-- welcome to the group.  I think you've found us just before you get into a big mess.  Even though it's only been three months the seroquil has had plenty of time to get it's claws into you, it only takes about a month.  How is it messing with your sleep?  All the changes in dosage over the past few months are probably a big part of the problem. So if 12 -14 mg is working ATM it would be a good idea to sit on that dose for several weeks to let things stabilize, then start out recommended 10% taper to work your way off.  I would suggest only using the Klonopin as a last resort, it is highly addictive and a real bear to get off of.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

It would be really helpful if you would fill in a signature block with all your drug history, it makes it a lot easier for us to see what is going on.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

So here's my medicine journal!  Started Lunesta on 9/11.  Seroqoil on 9/18 for one week and then switched to Trazadon for a week and then back to Seroqoil. Started Celexa on 9/23 and upped it to 40mg on 10/14 and adjusting well.  No problems and not even considering stopping this or the Lunesta until I am completely off the Seroqoil.  So ok lowered the Seroqoil on 11/2 to 25mg, 12mg on 11/16, 7mg on 11/22 and back up to 12mg on 11/24. So technically I've been on the dosage of 12mg (I cut the 50mg in 1/2 and then that in 1/2) for about a month.  I'm just ready to be freaking done with it!!!  How is it affecting my sleep?  Its ok until I lower the dose.  I seem to be off my sleep pattern for like a day and then it goes back to normal.  But when I lower it from 12mg to like 6 or 7mg, it messes me up.  I just want to get off of this and only be on Celexa and Lunesta and then go from there, you know?  I purposely haven't read anything about these drugs to protect myself from more anxiety.  I was "normal" with sleeping (never had a problem) until I had a UTI and it threw my sleep off and then I just flipped out with no sleep.  So I feel like I've sat on this dose for like 3-4wks so I need help figuring out whats the new dose?  Again I'm working with a 50mg little pill.  And yes I only use Klonopin like once a week if I can't fall asleep but agree I wish I would take that at all.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit,

Welcome to Sa. Thanks for giving us your drug history. Can I ask you to copy this detail into your signature, that way it will accompany all of your posts (as mine does) and we don't have to keep trying to find the post you put it in.

Thanks

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi freespirit,

I moved your topic from the tapering forum to a Journal thread of its own. This way more people will notice it, and you can maintain your own journal. You can use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

As others have mentioned if you would put your drug history in your signature, that makes it a lot easier for us to help you.

Here's how to add your signature from a phone or tablet:

http://survivinganti...nature/?p=84105

It looks like you have been tapering too fast. You have been making 50% cuts, we recommend no more than 10%. The links brassmonkey posted for you have the information you need to taper properly. I also suggest you stop tapering for a while to let things settle down again.

Am I understanding this right... You had no problems with anxiety or sleeping before you got a UTI? 

Were you given an antibiotic for the UTI and then you started experiencing anxiety and problems sleeping?

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Ok added signature but still have a hard time locating my thread. Where's journal?

Anyways I've had mild anxiety. Just worrying about silly things but didn't interfere with life. Have super stressful life and got a UTI then bam all hell broke lose!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi FreeSpirit

I can see that you have already Followed This Topic.  To find it again, click on the drop down arrow next to your name (top right) and click on Content I Follow.  Other option is to Bookmark/Favourite it in your web browser.

You've found a really supportive site.  Welcome and good luck.

CC

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Freespirit and welcome to s/a,

I know how it can feel a bit alarming when we realise we want off a drug, but then we learn we have to wait and do it carefully.  So hard when we just want to be rid of it.  I'd like to encourage you that even though it might seem a bit backwards, going slower actually can turn out faster and better in the long run.  That's because if we take care of our central-nervous-system, we get less withdrawal symptoms. 

The others have given you the best links for you to start with.  Have a read, and come back here to ask questions.  This topic here is your journal - your place to write what's happening for you, and to ask questions.

I just want to say 'hi' and that you are going to be okay.  Once you stabilise and settle at your current dose then you can work out a plan for what dose to do next (and when) with the mods here.  You can get through this, one step at a time.  And don't worry - your sleep will not be permanently affected, it will sort itself out as the meds are sorted out.

Hugs,

KarenB 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for adding your signature freespirit. I see that you were given several kinds of anti-biotics for your UTI. The reason I asked is because some antibiotics can cause quite severe adverse reactions in some people, including anxiety, panic and insomnia. These symptoms can last for a while, even after the antibiotic has been stopped.

Do you remember what kind you took?

You will still need to taper off your current medication, but if this was caused by a reaction to an anti-biotic, you can relax knowing that you will recover and be able to sleep normally again.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Well the drs kept saying I had a sinus infection and I was put on Amox then like a month later it was something else and so forth.  I ended up taking like 6 different ones within a 6 month period, ending with Microbid and then thats when the hell started. 

Primose.  I noticed in your signature you are no longer taking Seroquel?  Can you please tell me your story about this?  How long where you taking it and how much?  How did you taper?  I'm on my last teeny tiny dose, 12.5mg for nighttime and it seems hard to get off of the last bit.  I've been on this small dose since 11/16. 

Or anyone else help me out with it?  I don't want it to cause sleeping problems.  I tried to lower more and I was tossing and turning for like 2 hrs.  I'm currently taking this dose and Lunesta 3mg for sleep and I seem to fall asleep ok and sleep hard for like 5 hrs and then I keep waking up til about 7:30am.  So I'm getting 7-8 hrs of broken sleep b/c I go to bed at 10.  I think I wake up after 5 hrs or so is b/c maybe the meds wear off?  I just wish I was back to normal sleeping! ugh   Never had a sleeping problem til Sept

• Administrator

12.5mg Seroquel is not a teensy dose. You still need to taper it, we recommend a very gradual taper by 10%. Please read Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Someone pls help me. I'm currently on 12 mg of Seroqoil for night time along with Lunesta. Everytime I try to cut that in half I lose sleep. I can't cut by 10% bc I'm already using a 50mg pill and the 12mg is a teeny tiny piece. So I could cut the 12mg in half and there's not much left. Been on this dose for over a month.

So I have the 25mg pills too but it says Quetapine Funerate and not just Quetapine. So I'm worried to use those pills bc it might be different or extended release.

Also let me note I've been on it since Sept so not too long

• Administrator

freespirit, please post your questions about your situation in this topic, your Intro topic.

Please read this topic from the beginning. You need to taper Seroquel slower. Read Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I'm sorry I'm always on the go and read this forum on my iPhone and it's really hard bc whenever I post, apparently I'm being asked to move my question bc I don't post correctly. It's hard to figure this stuff out and the layout of the website on my phone. If someone could just help me out here id really appreciate it ????

• Administrator

Please bookmark this topic or follow it by clicking on the big gray Follow This Topic button at the top.

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)  explains how to make a liquid for slower tapering. Or, you can get smaller dosages compounded.

You must read the topic and make your decisions. This is important, perhaps you could slow down and find a computer to do more focused reading.

I tried to see if there was a post about this and couldn't find it so sorry if this is a duplicate. Any suggestions on tapering from 3mg of Lunesta? Been on since Sept. Heard you can't cut pills in half. So they come on 1mg 2mg and 3mg

Was thinking I'd need to add in something natural to help with the sleep. Anyone use Calm Forte by Hylands?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit,

Link tips-for-tapering-off-z-drugs-for-sleep-ambien-lunesta-etc/.  To search in SA best to Google survivingantidepressants.org + what you are searching for.  Works better than in site search.

The mods might merge this back into your Intro topic.  Sorry, can't help with Calm Forte but I'd wait for suggestions before trying it.

CC

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Administrator

This question has already been answered. Freespirit, please do not post the same question in multiple places on the site. Your Intro topic is a good place to put questions.

Hello and hope everyone had a great Christmas! I'm getting discouraged by posting bc I always seem to post wrong or my post vanishes so sorry admin if I keep doing it wrong. Don't have a computer and hard to locate things on iPhone. But I hope this is a right place to post for tapering off of Seroqoil

I'm really hoping I get several pieces of advice from you guys. I'm down to like 10mg of Seroqoil at night for sleep along with Lunesta. Plan is to finish Seroqoil then Lumesta. I occasionally take .25 of Klonopin if I need extra help sleeping then wake up discouraged bc I had to take 3 things to sleep!

Anyways the pill is so teeny tiny by now how do I know exactly cutting 10% when I'm just using a knife and an already tiny tablet? I'm using the 50mg tiny white pill and cut it into 4ths then that again. Now I have a bottle of 25mg tablets but the pill box says Fumerate after the Q word so I'm not sure it's the exact same pill. It's a different manufacturing company so the pill looks different and I'm afraid the change of pill might throw me off more

If I were to just stop now would that be stupid? I've been on for about 4mos nightly

Edited by KarenB
moved from tapering forum

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit.  The best place for questions about your own tapering is in your own Topic.  It will get noticed more.  Many new members are a bit confused about where they should post when they first join SA.

freespirit123: Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:24 AM

"Hello and hope everyone had a great Christmas! I'm getting discouraged by posting bc I always seem to post wrong or my post vanishes so sorry admin if I keep doing it wrong. Don't have a computer and hard to locate things on iPhone. But I hope this is a right place to post for tapering off of Seroqoil

I'm really hoping I get several pieces of advice from you guys. I'm down to like 10mg of Seroqoil at night for sleep along with Lunesta. Plan is to finish Seroqoil then Lumesta. I occasionally take .25 of Klonopin if I need extra help sleeping then wake up discouraged bc I had to take 3 things to sleep!

Anyways the pill is so teeny tiny by now how do I know exactly cutting 10% when I'm just using a knife and an already tiny tablet? I'm using the 50mg tiny white pill and cut it into 4ths then that again. Now I have a bottle of 25mg tablets but the pill box says Fumerate after the Q word so I'm not sure it's the exact same pill. It's a different manufacturing company so the pill looks different and I'm afraid the change of pill might throw me off more

If I were to just stop now would that be stupid? I've been on for about 4mos nightly"

I'm not able to answer your questions, but somebody else will be able to help.

CC

I was told to start my own topic to get more replies so hope this is right..  

I'm really hoping I get several pieces of advice from you guys. I'm down to like 10mg of Seroqoil at night for sleep along with Lunesta. Plan is to finish Seroqoil then Lumesta. I occasionally take .25 of Klonopin if I need extra help sleeping then wake up discouraged bc I had to take 3 things to sleep!  This happens about once every 1-2 weeks.  

Anyways the pill is so teeny tiny(Sero.) by now how do I know exactly cutting 10% when I'm just using a knife and an already tiny tablet? I'm using the 50mg tiny white pill and cut it into 4ths then that again. Now I have a bottle of 25mg tablets but the pill box says Fumerate after the Q word so I'm not sure it's the exact same pill. It's a different manufacturing company so the pill looks different and I'm afraid the change of pill might throw me off more

If I were to just stop now would that be stupid? I've been on for about 4mos nightly.  

Then I plan to taper the Lunesta, 3mg.  Any advice?  Anyone taking supplements they can recommend for sleep to help?  When will I know I'm in the clear from w/d's?  How long will they last if I get them?  

I took the NeuroLab neurotransmitter testing and all my levels were elevated...go figure.....b/c now that same lab says their supplements will "fix" the imbalance.  Anyone have the same test done?  

Not sure what or who to believe.

I'm torn between homeopathic and modern medicine.  

I'm not even concerned with being on Celexa at this point b/c it has helped me to calm anxiety and just chill out about things.  Problem is also that my husband has NO clue about these drugs and w/d's, etc and just thinks its so easy to just stop taking and be back to normal....ugh

So please (pretty pls) help me by answering these questions, not by telling me I posted wrong or in the wrong place, etc...Gets me discouraged b/c I know this is a very important subject but between homeschooling and owning a business and everyday life chaos, its hard to sit and read the whole website.  I'm on my laptop and not my iphone and I'm hoping this is the right place to post...  :0)

Am I still posting incorrectly bc I haven't had one person respond?

I just purchased a milligram scale off of amazon so hopefully that'll help. Had to take Klonopin last night bc I couldn't fall asleep. Tapered down from 12.5 to like 10 now. I just take a knife and shave off a bit so don't know really how much. Was sweating all night when it was cold

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Freespirit,

I know it's frustrating getting the hang of these forums when you are new here - we've all posted in the wrong place at some stage.  As a general 'rule' it's best to post in your own thread.  Other threads are for posting general comments or thoughts on general topics.  Is probably better to stick to your intro thread for now, especially to get answers about things that pertain specifically to you.

Lets take one step at a time.

1.  It's good you've ordered a scale - it'll be much easier to be accurate.  Just do your best until that arrives.  Not a good idea to just stop taking it.

2.  This has specific info about why tapering Seroquel is important.  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1707-tips-for-tapering-off-seroquel-quetiapine/

3.  I'm using the 50mg tiny white pill and cut it into 4ths then that again.

Do you mean you are cutting the 50mg pill into 4ths and then each of those quarters into half?  That would equal a dose of 6.25mg in each bit. 

Now I have a bottle of 25mg tablets but the pill box says Fumerate after the Q word so I'm not sure it's the exact same pill. It's a different manufacturing company so the pill looks different and I'm afraid the change of pill might throw me off more

There are two types of Seroquel:  Regular Seroquel (immediate-release formulation) which comes in both 25mg and 50mg pills (& higher doses) and Seroquel XR (extended-release formulation) which comes in doses of 50mg and higher.  Seroquel is also known as Quetiapine.  Sometimes a change in manufacturer does create difficulties, but some people do go to the Regular when they are tapering. 

Then I plan to taper the Lunesta, 3mg.  Any advice?  Anyone taking supplements they can recommend for sleep to help?  When will I know I'm in the clear from w/d's?  How long will they last if I get them?

Overall I think you may still be looking to drugs to fix the problems.  You might like to start both becoming accepting of when sleep doesn't happen, and actively finding ways to manage your sleeping.  Magnesium is helpful to some people for sleep.  Guided meditations also.  Gentle yoga poses.  Tips to help sleep:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia/

3.  When you have finsihed tapering Seroquel, here are tips for tapering of Lunesta:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1655-tips-for-tapering-off-z-drugs-for-sleep-ambien-lunesta-etc/

Can't say how long w/d will last - it's different for everyone.  You'll know when they're done because you'll feel better.

I took the NeuroLab neurotransmitter testing and all my levels were elevated...go figure.....b/c now that same lab says their supplements will "fix" the imbalance.  Anyone have the same test done?

Be wary of anyone saying they can fix you for a price. 

I'm torn between homeopathic and modern medicine.

You can use both, or neither.  Each is only a very small part of the whole picture of your health.  A skinny little piece of the pie...

4.  And when you're through all that, then you can consider about the Celexa.  I just had a look at your 4 drugs in the drug checker.  There is one major interraction and quite a few moderate ones.  Getting off the Seroquel will get rid of a few of those.  The full results are at the bottom of this post.

I hope this helps with some of your decisions you are trying to make.  I'm posting this, then I'll merge it with your intro thread so all your discussion is in one easy place for you to find.

Hugs,

Karen

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major quetiapine citalopram

Applies to: Seroquel (quetiapine), Celexa (citalopram)

Using citalopram together with QUEtiapine can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with these medications, whether together or alone. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate clonazepam quetiapine

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Seroquel (quetiapine)

Using clonazePAM together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam citalopram

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Celexa (citalopram)

Using clonazePAM together with citalopram may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam eszopiclone

Applies to: Klonopin (clonazepam), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

Using clonazePAM together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate quetiapine eszopiclone

Applies to: Seroquel (quetiapine), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

Using QUEtiapine together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate citalopram eszopiclone

Applies to: Celexa (citalopram), Lunesta (eszopiclone)

Using citalopram together with eszopiclone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

• Administrator

Hi, freespirit. I moved your latest post to your topic -- that is what we call your Intro topic. It is your topic to ask questions and get answers. This is where we move your posts, because we've answered many of your questions already and those answers are here.

You can easily find this topic again with your bookmark or because you've followed it. Please post in this topic until you get familiar with the site. 

Please read the above posts carefully and answer the questions KarenB has for you. You also need to read the links we give you. If you can't read them on your phone, you need to slow down, find a computer, and read them there.

The NeuroLab neurotransmitter testing doesn't have any value except to sell their supplements.

Thank you thank you thank you Karen and Alto! You've given me encouragement and I'm very grateful

I cut the 50mg in 1/2 then the 1/2 in 1/2. So I think it's like 10mg. Wish it was 6.25!

I don't want drugs to fix a problem. I had a mental breakdown (too many stressors) and the Infection from the UTI put me over the edge. Like I've said I've never had a problem sleeping and now that my sleeping cycle got screwed up I'm so afraid to go back to that dark pit I was in.

I'm not a pill popper and so being on these meds are making it worse. So I'm trying to do it right, taper slow. I just wanted to know if you guys knew of any natural supplements that truly work for sleeping.

I've just got to get my confidence back in sleeping.

I've been having headaches and a little shaking. I guess I'm wanting someone to hold my hand and say "bc you've only been on for 3-4mos you'll be fine getting off..." And I know that won't happen...lol

And thank you for the links I plan to read them tomorrow

• Moderator Emeritus

So that's 12.5mg, you're nearly down to 10. 

I found it hard when I couldn't sleep too.  Eventually I got around it by creating something nice where there had been fear and anxiety and agitation.  I changed my ideas of sleep and how and when it should happen.  I started to view sleep and awake as a yin-yang kind of thing, where one can merge into the other.  I decided to charge into those spaces of sleeplessness and explore them, and see what I could discover in them - like in a keep cave.  I decided to relish all the difficulty in my life and get what I could while I had the opportunity.  After all, I knew one day I might sleep well again - and then I'd have missed my chance ;).

I put my diary and a nice pen by my bed.  I put music at the ready.  I took a glass of water to bed at nights.  When I couldn't sleep I'd sit up and give myself permission to wander round the house and do whatever felt peaceful and lovely.  Sometimes I wrote in bed, sometimes in the lounge.  It's amazing what thoughts will come to you in the night, during a hard time in your life.  They are a blessing.  Sometimes I looked out at the moon.  Sometimes I listened to music.  Sometimes I did soft yoga poses - maybe just putting my legs up the wall. 

Over these last 6 months my sleep has improved out-of-sight.  Now it is a rare night when I have trouble. 

Those headaches and shaking you describe could well be from any one of the interactions you are getting between the 4 drugs.  

You have a good plan - just keep going day by day.  Slowly you'll tick things off down that list.

Karen 

8 month hold.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Wanted to play catch up with my tapering. My highest dose of Seroquel was back in Sept and it was 100mg but seriously lasted one night bc it was awful! Went down to 75mg for a week then quickly down to 50mg and kept that for about a month.

So starting in Dec I slowly went down to 8-10mg and held for about a week or so. Last taper being like 2-5 mg and then stopped last week. I take it for sleep along with Lunesta

So this first week was rocking and I was in high hopes.......until 2 nights ago! I only took Lunesta and woke up at 2:30 and could NOT go to sleep. Needless to say I was a complete basket case with only 3 hrs of sleep yesyerday. Last night took Lunesta, fell asleep at 9:30 woke up at 12:15. Tried to go to sleep til like 12:45 then took a borrowed Xanax from friend which only have me an hour of sleep. Started getting anxious bc I can't afford (for my family's sake) to be unproductive again. So took Ativan around 4:30 and woke up at 7:30.

SOOO this is what I need help on. Trying to understand the science of it. Why on earth would I be fine all week and then crash? Will I get better? Should I get back on stupid Sero? Is this classic withdrawn? It's like I'm tired but my brain, the part to make me sleep doesn't work ????????????

• Administrator

Hi, freespirit. Sorry for the confusion. I moved your posts here because your Intro topic is the place for those kinds of questions, we need the transcript to answer them.

Please just post in this topic until you get used to navigating the site.

It can take some time for your system to recognize a dosage decrease and produce withdrawal symptoms. That is why you crashed.

You have been tapering faster than we recommend. Do you have any questions about Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine) ?

Since you reduced the Seroquel, the 40mg Celexa might also be keeping you awake. It's a fairly large dose of Celexa; some people find SSRIs to cause sleeplessness or anxiety. This may have been counterbalanced by the larger dose of Seroquel.

How are you taking Lunesta in combination with Seroquel at night? Lunesta also causes dependency and needs to be tapered. In addition, you could be getting a paradoxical reaction from it at night or rebound reaction from it when it wears off.

It seems you go into this drug combination after an adverse reaction to antibiotics. That is not unusual, but it appears you and your doctor decided to treat it with psychiatric drug polypharmacy. Now you will have to deal with the side effects from 3 psychiatric drugs and their interactions. There is no free lunch when it comes to these drugs.

Did you read the drug interaction information KarenB posted for you?

Yes I re read it again which confirms I don't want to take Seroquel again! I just don't know why I'm waking up at 2:30 and not being able to go back to sleep. It's me having to take a benzo drug which I don't want to trade one Poisin for another but am seeking advice on what to do?? Has anyone ever take 5htp or SamE in middle of night after Lunesta?

Edit: Moved from Symptoms forum

Ok so I'm really bad at trying to figure out where to post so hopefully I posted this in the right spot.  So sorry if I didn't! ;)

So I've been off of Seroquel for over a week now.  Slept ok last week with just Lunesta and now the past few nights have been hard.  Waking up at 2:30 and not being able to fall asleep.  Ending up taking a Benzo.  Obviously I don't want to trade one med for another.  So looking at natural options that can compliment the Lunesta and can work when I wake up, to put me back to sleep.

Anyone use 5htp?   SamE? Can they be used with Lunesta.  Looked it up on drugs.com to see if there is an interaction and of course b/c its a natural, it doesn't say a bunch and can't ask a dr b/c they don't know about homeopathic stuff.

So I'm currently on fish oil, b12, D3 and a few other supplements. 

Hoping my sleep will return, or if only be able to put myself back to sleep once awake. 

Can someone suggest what they use?  Tried epsom salt, warm milk, honey, salt, oil, etc.  Not a problem falling asleep its staying asleep! 

And I thought the Admin sent me to a link on here that showed all kinds of info for sleep but can't find it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sleep is a really hard issue for many on this site, and it cannot be fixed in a sustainable way by adding further drugs.  For real healing you need to allow your brain the time it needs to find it's way back to normal. 

It is common to wake early in the morning because that is when cortisol gets going.  Normally it starts to gently signal that morning is approaching, but once destabilised by drugs and w/d, the flow of cortisol is out of balance and so wakes us up too soon and with feelings of anxiety.  Waking with panic or anxiety.

From the 5htp thread
5-HTP should not be taken concurrently with anti- depressants except under the supervision of a physician, because 5-HTP increases the activity of these drugs.

From the SAM-e thread:

SAM-E and other supplements that act on serotonin, including St. John's Wort, are not recommended for people with withdrawal syndrome. They tend to be stimulating in a way that most of us really do not need.

Instead of looking to more drugs, it's probably time to look at natural approaches - both to soothing yourself when you cannot sleep, and to re-training your sleep patterns.  We have many threads on sleep in the self-care section. 

It will come right as your brain heals.

Karen

8 month hold.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Freespirit,

There are many sleep links in this thread:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/555-tips-to-help-sleep-so-many-of-us-have-withdrawal-insomnia/

Were you taking B12 before or after you started tapering?  It can be activating. 

One thing that helped me was changing my idea of sleep, so when I wake up I now just think 'okay, that's cool, I'll see if I can soothe myself or if I want I can get up and do something...' instead of thinking I had to be asleep.  I know it's a real frustrating issue, but we can get away with not sleeping as much until our brains heal. 

Karen

8 month hold.