Africa: Pins and needles as well as numbness in my toes, feet, arms and hands

Africa

Hey Africa,

Really glad your neurologist gave you his all clear verdict from your initial assessment. When do you have the MRI booked in for?

I don't know how they think that giving these drugs to people with anxiety is a good idea when coming off them can cause anxiety (along with a whole host of other horrible physical symptoms) at a level never experienced before... Not a great long term solution to the problem!

I understand your frustration with still being on a drug that has caused you so much harm. You'll need to find it in you to have patience with a super slow taper so that you can get drug free with minimal of residual symptoms... Just going to have to listen to your body and take it as slow as it needs to go. I've already resigned to that myself and try and picture a drug free and recovering version of me in the future...

I'm also interested to hear answer to Karen's question. Has their been any reduction in intensity of any symptom since stabilising on 7.5mg?

Keep us posted with everything...

Cheers

A convenient link to my introduction post

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Diazepam 10mg - took approximately 100 tablets.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Apr 2013 Completely off Citalopram and continued to have severe withdrawal.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Africa

• FunkyBaboon

• grandmaD

• SquirrellyGirl

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi KarenB and Funky

I've been on 7.5mg for exactly a month now and there has been a subtle change with some of the sensations. In the last day or two I have noticed that the prickling sensations around my entire body are not so extreme and the numbness and tingling on my face has improved about 50%. Under my feet are still very prickly especially in the morning and my muscles randomly ache, burn and twitch. I also still have needling in my knees and ankles. My new symptom is the night sweats and chills. I have had this for 3 night now. Because this is one of the common symptoms on the checklist it almost makes me feel relieved in a way that I'm getting this on top of everything else as it almost proves that this is all withdrawal and my body is just extremely sensitive.

I think this is what scares me so much though, because I honestly thought by going back to 7.5 mg would have eased the physical symptoms a lot quicker and thought they would just be gone completely in a few days.

Funky, I should get a date soon for my MRI. I really am trying to relax but I've always been a worrier when there's any type of illness so this has just made everything feel really anxious for me.  I think without this forum and support from everyone on here I would be finished.

Africa

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

December 2015 was on 5 mg Paroxetine 4 days a week and 7.5 mg 3 days a week.

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Unfortunately nothing ever goes in just a few days :(.  I think that the improvements you have had indicate you are healing.  I'd stay steady on that dose, and you'll gradually get further improvements.   

Here's a very good explanation of why it takes so long, by Rhi in http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-how-psychiatric-drugs-remodel-your-brain/

When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

With multiple drugs and a history of drug changes and cold turkeys, all of this becomes even more complicated. And if a person is started on these kinds of drugs at an early age before the brain has ever completely established normal mature functioning--well, it can't be good. (All of which is why I recommend an extremely slow taper particularly to anyone with a multiple drug history, a history of many years on meds, a history of past cold turkeys or frequent med changes, and a history of being put on drugs at a young age.)

This isn't intended to scare people, but hopefully to give you some idea of what's happening, and to help you respect and understand the process so you can work with it; ALSO, because you are likely to encounter many, many people who still believe these drugs work kind of like aspirin, or a glass of wine, and all you need to do is stop and get it out of your system. Now you can explain to them that no, getting it out of your system is not the issue; the issue is, you need to regrow or at least remodel your brain. This is a long, slow, very poorly understood process, and it needs to be respected.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi KarenB

Thank you for your reassurance and the quote that you posted. It was interesting to read and also very reassuring.

I thought that my symptoms would have eased in about 4 days after reinstating up to 7.5mg everyday but understand that it can actually take longer. I never in a million years thought that only 10mg of paroxetine would have been so difficult to get off and the effects it can have on your body.

Thank you for all being here for me.

<p>February 2009 started taking Paroxetine 10 mg everyday. Reducing very slowly in February 2015.15

Severe withdrawal. Back to 7.5mg everyday from today 25 March 2016  7.1 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 23 May 2016   6.7 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 4 July 2016   6.3 mg everyday (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks). 2 September 2016  5.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 10 weeks) 9 November 2016  5.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 8 weeks) 4 January 2017  5.3 mg (stayed on this dose for 6 weeks) 20 February 2017  5 mg (it's taken me 2 year to get half way!!) (stayed on this dose for 4 months) 20 June 2017   4.6 mg (stayed on this dose for 5 months ) 27 November 2017   4.2 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 17 June 2018   3.9 mg (stayed on this dose for 7 months) 22 January 2019   3.5 mg {stayed on this dose for 2 years) 16 January 2021   3.2 mg 

3 April 2021  3mg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone

I just wanted to update you on my progress.

Last week Friday I went for an MRI scan of my head and spine because of all these weird sensory sensations I have been getting for the last 5 weeks. I know everyone who has been supporting me has said it's the withdrawal from Paroxetine but I think for me the symptoms have been so bad after such a small drop that I almost didn't believe it was just that. I have been so anxious and had called the doctors rooms a few times to check whether my results were back. Today the secretary kindly called me to say the radiologist had not written up the report yet but said it was okay to let me that my MRI was normal.

I feel so relieved as I think I have had almost every test there is to be done but still continue to have the pins and needles, prickly skin almost everywhere (not as bad as when I first got it), muscle spasms and twitches as well as some numbness and tingling on my face.

I received my digital scale today which Funky recommended and will start weighing my 7.5mg instead of using my pill cutter as I don't think I'm getting it exactly right and need to be more accurate. I think I need to still hold this amount for a while longer and hopefully my CNS start getting better. I'm really nervous about tapering again but know that all you lovely people are here to guide and support me when I think I'm ready to start again.

Thank you again for all your kindness and support. Without you I could not have done this.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

:-) I am happy for you!!!

- Paroxetine since more than 10years

- 20mg for the first five year, then 10mg since

- Several attempts to withdraw cold turkey following doctor's advise

- Last attempt in spring 2015 to reduce 10 -> 5 -> 2.5 -> 0mg within 2 months -> Extreme wd problems

- Reinstated with 10mg then down to 5mg again

04/01 5mg (tingling and muscle problems)

07/20 5mg (less problems)

08/20 4.95mg (muscle tightness, no more tingling sensations)

12/28 3.27mg (muscle tightness, numb feeling in feet and hands, light tingling sensations

Thank you so much PapaBear and for all your support!!

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I know everyone who has been supporting me has said it's the withdrawal from Paroxetine but I think for me the symptoms have been so bad after such a small drop that I almost didn't believe it was just that. I have been so anxious and had called the doctors rooms a few times to check whether my results were back. Today the secretary kindly called me to say the radiologist had not written up the report yet but said it was okay to let me that my MRI was normal.

It never ceases to amaze what these drugs can cause the brain to do to the body.  Nothing I see caused by withdrawal surprises me any more.

Glad that you know that there is nothing organically wrong with you, Africa.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi Andy,

Thank you. I also can't believe how a tiny tablet can cause so much trouble to our bodies. That's why I had to just do these tests for my own peace of mind.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Omg, Africa that is absolutely fantastic news! I'm so happy for you ;-)

Andy - I totally agree, it's criminal that so many people suffer so badly and yet new patients are still being lured into treatment under the impression that taking the pills is safe and non addictive. The risks should at least be outlined in the same way as when you have an operation, based upon percentage chances etc.

2003 Paroxetine (20mg I think) daily for 5 months due to extreme anxiety before final exams and stopped cold turkey. From 2003 onwards I have suffered with extreme anxiety, akathisia, severe muscle tension & digestive problems whenever off I'm off anti-depressants.

2007 Clonazepam (unsure of dose) - took approximately 100 tablets to try and self medicate for anxiety.

2007-09 Amitryptyline 10mg - was advised to take this "as and when needed" for anxiety.

April/May 2011 Diazepam 2mg - 2 week course followed by complete inability to sleep upon finishing so started Citalopram 40mg and I was able to sleep again.

Mid 2012 Started Citalopram taper - 5mg reductions every month or two, severe withdrawal symptoms throughout taper.

Oct 2013 Completely fell to pieces mentally and alongside had a whole host of debilitating physical symptoms too. I went to the doctors who performed whole batteries of tests but had no idea what was wrong with me. They tried me on Sertraline and Amitryptyline to which I had terrible reactions which made symptoms worse. Eventually got put on Nortryptyline 25mg, which I tolerated and over 3 months withdrawal symptoms started to abate.

Mid 2014 discovered survivingantidepressants.org and hallelujah! I knew what was wrong with me - slow taper FTW!

Late 2014 & 2015 Reduced Nortryptyline 22.5mg & 20mg respectively in November & December of 2014. In 2015 Tapered Nortryptyline from 20mg to 10 mg in 2mg increments. Withdrawal symptoms with each dose reduction are debilitating but in a much different way to Citalopram.

Now we've just got to work out how to get you off the pills safely and with the minimum of symptoms.

It's great that you now have a way of measuring out your doses more accurately. This will definitely help you get more stable.

We're on this journey together now, trying to get off our tablets without experiencing too many physical side effects.

I am a 44 year old woman and have been on 10mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 8 years and in February this year decided to slowly start weaning off. I dropped to 7.5mg one day a week for a month and once I had got to 7.5 mg 7 days a week I started to drop to 5mg one day a week for a month. I am now on 5mg Monday to Thursday and still on 7.5mg Friday to Sunday. I was absolutely fine until two weeks ago when I started having a crawling feeling on the bridge of my nose and between my eyebrows. Then two days later I woke up with pins and needles in all my toes which eventually spread to under my feet. My toes also most always feel cold. I have also started with pins and needles in my left fingers and hand. I went in to see the doctor when this started and explained to her that I was weaning off Paxil but she didn't say anything about it. She did all the blood tests necessary which all came back normal. I called her again this week to say that I am really worried and she said she will put me in the system to see a neurologist in a couple of months.

I am absolutely beside myself and have made an appointment to see a private Neurologist in January which will be costly as I am not on a medical insurance. I just wondered if anyone else may have these withdrawal symptoms from tapering off Paxil? I have the pins and needles constantly under my feet although the tingles on my face come and go during the day. I feel fine within myself but I am obviously very anxious because of the physical symptoms.

I would strongly recommend reading Dr. Healy's website, and this post by Altostrata  about the symptoms your describing.  These are the 2 best sources of information regarding this condition that I'm currently aware of.

You may wish to print out the relevant information and bring them to your doctor.  If you're going to pay a small fortune to see a specialist, that specialist might as well know about the 2 leading hypotheses regarding your symptoms.  He/she may be able to explain what is going on and then you can tell us here what the doctor said because it's always interesting to see what experts predict about the outcome of this condition.

As has been mentioned, you obtained "protracted withdrawal syndrome" - as people here like to call it -  because you were skipping days on a drug with half life of less than 24 hours.  Unlike commonly used addictive drugs that can be taken a couple of times per week or once every other day - SSRI's should never be taken like that.  

Once one obtains this condition, there's very little to do other than 1) cross your fingers and wait, 2) eat well and get light exercise, 3) sleep well, 4) avoid stress if possible, 5) get as much money as you can while you are still able to so you can provide your basic needs while recovering.

Good luck.

It's great to hear the MRI came out well.  Now you have a good baseline of knowing that there really isn't anything wrong with you. It will help keep things in perspective.  If you're just starting to use the scale it would be a good idea to give things several weeks to settle out before trying any tapering.  Just getting on a more accurate dose will take a little time to adjust to.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

So happy the MRI was negative. I started suffering numbness and tingling in my arm, leg, and upper back on my left side a few years ago. I was not tapering at the time and I had every test under the sun. Saw a neurologist, orthopedist, had MRI's, cat scans, you name it I had it. I did find out I had tarsal tunnel syndrome but nothing ever showed what was causing the numbness and tingling. Thousands of dollars worth of nothing really. I have noticed that since I started tapering and regular chiropractic care the sensations have decreased to where I only feel them every few days. I am hopeful once I completely get off paxil the sensations will completely go away. It is very disturbing to have them and not really know why. Fingers crossed they will go away for you after you stabilize!

40 years old and have been on 20 mg of Paxil for the last 19 years. Multiple unsuccessful attempts to quit over the years.01/2015 Was tapering using liquid Paxil. MD has prescribed 1 ml = 2mg taper every two weeks or once withdrawal symptoms at that dose subside. Reduced from 20 to 10 mg using this method and at 10 mg severe withdrawal set in. 1.5 months of pure hell. Found SA, learned what was happening, and reinstated to 20 mg. After a month of severe symptoms recovered with the reinstatement. Fish oil - Multi Vitamin - Pro-biotic, amino-acid/B Vitamin supplement every day. Magnesium as needed.08/09/15 - 18 mg - 09/08/15 - 16.4 mg - 10/10/15 - 15 mg - 01/02/16 - 13.6 mg 02/15/16 - 12.0 mg - Bad symptom flare up 40 days into drop - Dizziness, panic/anxiety, overheating (esp at night), low appetite, headache, insomnia with bizarre dreams, internal shaking. 04/16/16 - 11mg - 7/17/16 - 10 mg holding.....

Hi everyone

Thank you so much Funky and especially for giving me the details of the digital scale. I got it off Amazon and it was with me within 2 days. I actually read the package leaflet in my paroxetine box last night for the fist time! In it under possible side effects after withdrawing it says "feelings like pins and needles, burning sensations and (less commonly) electric shock sensations, including the head in up to 1 in 10 people!

Yes Funky, we can do this together now! I hope you are well.

Hi Marmite, I also don't have the evidence of the sensory sensations like redness and welts, although I did have one day that I was very allergic when I woke up and had welts for a couple of hours. My feet can be very blotchy especially after a bath or shower and have actually been one of my worst symptoms with the pins and needles and pricks continuously for almost 6 weeks now. I agree the tickling nose is just so annoying! Mine is mainly on the bridge of my nose and forehead but has got slightly better over time and is not there persistently.

I really do think my GP thinks I'm a massive hypochondriac and I am reluctant to go back for anything. Do you know that I had probably seen her once a few years ago for something minor and it was only when I started with these horrible sensations that I had saw her again and called in a few times because I was so worried. I will definitely report my symptoms to www.rxisk.org and didn't realise we could still do this.

Thank you so much for your advice and support.

Hi Dskcajga, I don't think my GP knows much about withdrawal as she seemed very unconvinced when I asked her whether what I was experiencing was withdrawal.

I am so relieved to now know about "protracted withdrawal" as I just could not understand why I was still getting these symptoms after so long (and still am). I think for me the recovery process may take a while as my body can be so sensitive.

Thanks so much for your advice and support.

Hi Brassmonkey, thank you for your advice and support and yes I think now that I've had all the tests done I can just keep things in perspective. I agree that I will just give myself time to heal and also make sure that I am taking an accurate dose of 7.5mg everyday before I start to taper again. I will also start reading and researching the self help section so that I can try and make this whole process a little more comfortable for myself.  

Hi Jlynn, I am sorry you've also been through a lot of these symptoms and also had all theses expensive tests done. It's such a horrible and scary feeling dealing with these sensory sensations but as you say hopefully they will start to go away slowly.

My feet are really the worst and I just can't imagine them ever feeling normal again. The pins and needles and prickling even keep me awake at night.

I know lots of people on this sight mention taking magnesium and also having acupuncture which I might actually try. I'll do anything just to feel normal again.

Thank you so much for your support.

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa.   Happy to hear your results came back normal . Now you can move on in the full knowledge that this is indeed , withdrawal . It is hard to believe, isn't it ? What these drugs do . Unfortunately, most Doctors are uninformed . The symptoms will recede in time, as a lot of us will attest to. I had the restless legs , pins & needles ,and prickles all over. I have had nights where my " restless legs" were so bad , it was truly excruciating !  All night , pacing ! No sleep. Night after night .  Also, zaps and pins & needles in the head .   Really testing  - but somehow we make it through. All of those symptoms are gone now , for me. Occasionally , I still get a reminder, and wake up ( if I manage to get any sleep ) with a " numb", but also " pins & needles " face . Also , a few pins & needles in the head ,  now & then.  You will come through this, intact and with a renewed sense  of life , and won't sweat the " small stuff", so much .

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG

I'm sorry to hear you've also experienced all these symptoms and yes it's really hard to believe what these drugs are capable of doing! I'm so happy that you are almost fully recovered. Thank you for the reassurance and encouragement because at the moment I feel a bit anxious about my feet and muscles. My body doesn't feel the same but I'm hoping that like you say, it will improve with time. This is definitely one of my biggest tests in life and I will definitely try not to sweat the small stuff!

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Africa.  This is a " marathon". Not a "sprint". You have to hang in for the " long haul " !! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi Marmite

Thank you so much for this information! I'm looking forward to reading the reports!

I felt so desperate and alone when I started having all these symptoms because my GP who was one person I thought could help me had absolutely no idea what was wrong. I am just so thankful I found SA.

My feet have been so painful and I have to sit down every now and then because I just can't stand I don't think there's any point in telling the GP because she's probably just going to think I'm mad. I absolutely feel like doctors do not take you seriously when you are on a AD because they think you're just being over anxious and exaggerating your symptoms.

I would love to meet Dr David Healy for a consultation. I live in Devon just a few hours from Wales and wonder if he still sees patients. He would be great to talk to.

Thank you so much for your kindness and support. I really appreciate it so much. This is what's keeping me going .

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Thank you Marmite for this information. You all have so much knowledge which I really appreciate.

I think I will try posting on his website and read his blog. I would love to see him but I've spent so much on the neurologist and MRI that I would have to wait a while.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Everyone

I had a really bad today and just needed some advice and support.

I had to call my GP today as there were two blood tests the neurologist wanted to me to confirm that I had done. When I spoke to her I mentioned all the paraesthesia that I still have and that I'm sure this is withdrawal symptoms. She was totally unconvinced and said that it was very unlikely because it had taken me 10 months to get from 10mg to 5mg (4 days a week) and 7.5mg (3 days a week). 

What really upset me was when she said " You've had all the tests done which are clear but sometimes with something neurological you just don't know what causes it and you just have to wait and see"  I was so upset about what she said and was just in tears afterwards.

So I have had all these symptoms for 7 weeks now but the last week I thought that almost everything was getting so much better, Today I woke up and almost everything is back! My feet feel very prickly and I have the pin pricks all over my body again. Some of my muscles are starting to feel sore as well as the burning and cold sensations on my skin.

My questions are:

1. Can you have "windows and waves" while doing a very slow taper (even though I have been on 7.5mg for 6 weeks)? Could this be the start of a wave?

2. Could this be protracted withdrawal?

I'm sorry I'm being all nervous and anxious again. I do feel some relief especially after ALL my tests but I just become overwhelmed with all these horrible sensations.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Africa, 

i could be wrong but I think the windows and waves pattern is in regards to people who are totally off the meds.  The idea of tapering is to go so slowly that the nervous system hardly notices the changes and adapts without much destabilization.  WD symptoms may come up after a cut is made, which is why it is a good idea to journal your experiences relative to cuts, so you know when it is normal to "feel" a cut and how long that will last. 

What I will say from my own experience is that WD symptoms are always just below the surface and we are very vulnerable while tapering.  A stressful event can bring on WD symptoms, and it sounds like your visit to the doctor was just such a stressful event!  Plus, WD may have contributed to the strength of your reaction to what the doctor said! 

I have had very minor stressors bring up symptoms while tapering.  I wouldn't call it a windows and waves phenomenon, really.  Maybe it's just semantics.  I've felt a "nervy' sensation even just challenging myself with a lot of activity, so I know it's just under the surface.  Another sign to not hustle the taper.

Anyway, be gentle with yourself, do some self-care, a magnesium bath, cuddle up on the couch with a blanket, play video games or something else to distract yourself. You were making progress so this bump shouldn't last long :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Hi SquirrellyGirl

Thank you for this explanation about Windows and Waves

I haven't tapered for 6 weeks now but I suppose I have had a stressful day. You're right and I should try more self care and hopefully this will also distract me a little.

Thank you so much for your support and encouragement.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hey Africa,

How are you feeling today? It's been three days since you posted so I'm hoping you've experienced some improvement in your symptoms since then.

I am pretty angry with your GP for worrying you like this. All the evidence so far and opinions of the specialists you've seen suggest that you are free from disease. So you're suffering with neurological symptoms of an unknown origin, which for me makes paroxetine the most likely candidate for having caused you these problems given what we know.

GPs appear to be in denial about the potential devastating consequences of taking antidepressants. The official line at the moment appears to be that these drugs are safe and effective; this is the story that has been repeated over and over by the marketing departments of the pharmaceutical giants that are heavily pushing these drugs for all sorts of on & off label usages and it is working very much in their favour, they're raking in billions from the sales of these drugs. It's a narrative that has won over GPs around the world and it must be comforting for them to fully buy into that considering how much of it they are prescribing!

I don't have any statistics on the incidences of parathesias and other sensory related issues for people taking this class of drugs so I don't know how commonplace these kinds of problems are. Maybe we are 1 in 100, maybe we are 1 in 10,000, I have no idea but what we do know for sure is that we're not alone in experiencing these symptoms - all it takes is a quick browse of this forum to see that. So given that these problems might only affect a few of their patients you can probably see the attraction for the GP to deny the existence of any of these kinds of problems so their conscience can remain clear and they can sleep well at night.

I have a friend who is training to become a GP and she is fully bought into the idea of antidepressants being a force for good, so much so that she is taking them herself! To my horror, when I last saw her she announced that she was back on SSRIs again because she said she didn't feel like herself after she stopped taking them previously (*FunkyBaboon screamed quietly inside as he heard this*). Not feeling like herself was probably some element of withdrawal and she would have been totally uninformed about the potential long term withdrawal effects from taking these drugs. Now you'll probably tell me that it is my duty to inform her about the darker side of antidepressants; that is a duty I feel I have given what I know so believe me next time I see her I'll try and discuss this with her but I suspect I'll be met with some resistance - I fear the brainwashing may have quite a powerful effect!

As far as the length of time suffering from the withdrawal symptoms is concerned - this is different for everyone so you can't really compare yourself with others and expect to recover in exactly the same way or in the same amount of time, it's an individual thing and you'll learn as time goes by what patterns you tend to experience. You mention:

but the last week I thought that almost everything was getting so much better

This is absolutely brilliant - it shows that your body was starting to make amends and recover. You will experience occasional setbacks, sometimes these can be triggered by heightened anxiety levels or unfortunate life events and other times it can appear almost totally random. As far as the windows and waves theory applying to the recovery pattern after dose reduction I can attest that I have seemed to experience windows and waves when recovering from dose reductions. I dropped from 14mg to 12mg mid September 2015 and from 12mg to 10mg in mid October 2015 - in hindsight this was wreckless and kamikaze for me because I suffered greatly. It took me about three months to get some kind of stability back and see some definite reduction in the problems I was experiencing. I still suffer setbacks have odd days or weeks where I feel like I've gone backwards in terms of progress - it's frustrating for sure but you've got to look at it over the longer term. For example, ask yourself "overall, am I better this month than I was last month?".

So in conclusion and answer to your questions:

1. Can you have "windows and waves" while doing a very slow taper (even though I have been on 7.5mg for 6 weeks)? Could this be the start of a wave?

I believe I have experienced recovery from dose reductions in the pattern of windows & waves. It's certainly not linear - I can tell you that much!

2. Could this be protracted withdrawal?

I absolutely believe it could be, yes.

I'll reiterate what I have said about yoga previously - I think that it has great power to assist us in our healing, helping to rebalance the sympathetic/parasympathetic nervous system activation, and enabling our bodies to heal better. Do you have access to a yoga teacher that you could have one on one lessons with? I think this could really help you Africa...

Hang in there!

Funky

• Moderator Emeritus

FunkyBaboon, thanks for that wonderful post!  Ever since i responded above, it nagged at me that I was wrong!  I realized that yes, i've had the daily pattern of low/slow in the first part of the day with a rallying for the second part of the day, a second wind if you will.  Plus, I can see that if one were to make too big a cut or have an extreme response to a regular cut, there would likely be windows and waves while waiting for stability.

This all makes me even more steadfast in the notion that I really need to not hasten my tapers in any way, because that may be the consequence - crash and then windows and waves.  

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

HI Funky

Thank you so much for your reply and for all your support and encouragement. It really means a lot to me.

The symptoms I had on Friday subsided by the Saturday and were not as extreme. I still get the pin pricks in random places all over my body but my tingling aching feet have to be the worst. I definitely don't think the chat with my GP helped much! I wish I was stronger and didn't worry so much.

I agree with SquirellyGirl about your explanation on windows and waves and think it's so clear and makes a lot sense. I'm sorry you had a difficult time with your last WD but so glad you have stabilised.

I can't believe your doctor friend would want to be on a SSRI! I think that if you have never experienced WD or any type of reaction you would just not understand. I hope that once you chat to her she might take your advice seriously.

Have you ever tried acupuncture? I know you mentioned someone who does yoga in Torquay but it's just too far for me to get there. I must just try and find someone closer to me and just book some lessons. It will also help me to get out a bit and mix with people who have the same interests as myself.  

I messaged Dr David Healy today and told him my story but I doubt he will reply as he sounds so busy. I asked him whether he may know of someone in the South West just in case I may need to speak to someone at some stage.

I hope you are having a good week so far.

Thank you again. I appreciate everything.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

HI Africa, 

I just wanted to jump in and say that in the interim, you can find yoga vids on youtube.  Also, I know that Monica Cassini of beyondmeds.com has some stuff on yoga there with links .  Her site is a little tough to navigate for me, but there's tons of great stuff there.

SG

Hi SquirellyGirl

Thank you so much! I will definitely have a look on YouTube and beyondmeds.com. At least I can start doing some yoga in the meantime.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Africa, it's been a few of weeks since we last caught up. How are you getting on now?

Hi Funky

Thank you so much for asking Funky and I hope you had a nice Valentines Day. I hope you've been okay and sleeping better.

I received an email back from Professor Healy and he basically said he thought my symptoms were all from Paroxetine dependence and that these W/D symptoms can happen even with a slow taper. I felt really down and anxious after I read his email because I'm already so scared of tapering again.

I really don't like the way my GP made me feel so pathetic and stupid  that I decided to change surgeries completely. There were a few I could go to under my postal code and I did a little research and made the change. When I went to register I had to take my BP and it was slightly higher than usual (119/86). That threw me into an absolute panic and I went back on the Wednesday to do it again! I tried to keep calm and ended up doing it 5 times. This time the top number was higher and the lower number was lower (28/77). The receptionist could see my anxiety had spiralled and she got my new GP to call me that same day. He basically said it was fine and that we would chat at my appointment (tomorrow afternoon) about everything. He was really kind but realistically can he actually help me.

I have been having such anxiety about my heart and have read that a few people have had irregular heart beats after or during W/D. Before all my neurological issues started I sometimes got a feeling in my chest like someone had given me a massive fright. That lasted a few days but then stopped and I clearly remember having heart palpitations a few times and once lasting about an hour for no apparent reason. I'm so sorry I sound like such a hypochondriac but this is really scary for me.

On the positive side so many of my paraesthesia are so much better. My feet still have pins and needles and are prickly. They can be quite painful if I walk for too long and especially when it's cold. I also still have a pulling feeling on my forehead which seems to be there 80% of the day but I am so use to it now that it doesn't really bother me much.  I'm also quite anxious in the morning but have read that this is quite normal. My knees and elbows are almost back to what they were before and I have very little muscle pain. Sometimes a get the odd needling on my body but never as much as before.

So I am still on 7.5mg (have been stabilising for 10 weeks) and just don't know what to do from here. I'm so confused about the 10% taper or micro tapering because from what Professor Healy is saying I could still get these nasty W/D 's. I had only tapered such a small amount so what's going to happen to me physically if I try to taper more.

I hope I didn't sound too negative. I'm just really nervous about tapering again and how to do it.

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

So I am still on 7.5mg (have been stabilising for 10 weeks) and just don't know what to do from here. I'm so confused about the 10% taper or micro tapering because from what Professor Healy is saying I could still get these nasty W/D 's. I had only tapered such a small amount so what's going to happen to me physically if I try to taper more.

I hope I didn't sound too negative. I'm just really nervous about tapering again and how to do it.

Take care

Africa

I wonder how many people he has dealt with that truly did the 10% all the way down to unmeasurable amounts?  Since I had an unsuccessful attempt off venlafaxine over a year ago, having been on it for 12 years, I've accepted that I will probably have to go to 5% toward the very end and hold for months at minute dosages to allow my nervous system the time to come up to task.  I figure, at such low dosages, my nervous system will be operating for itself such that it will almost be like being off entirely, and that the tail end will be a formality, but one that I will carry through anyway.

It is disconcerting to be told such things.  I've gone into the doldrums after reading Stuart Shipko, Robert Whitaker and David Healy's articles but then I remind myself:  What is the alternative?  Take the drugs the rest of my life and have them continue to harm me, or take less and less?  Less is always more!

I have PTSD over my protracted withdrawal, but we can do this!  Chin up, Africa - we're going to be ok!  We can take it so slow that we don't even notice, and take as long as it takes.

SG

Hi SquirrellyGirl

Thank you so much for your encouragement.

I didn't have any W/D until I was 10 months into taper so if I make a 5% cut how do I know when to make another cut if I don't have any W/D symptoms? I was wondering whether I should make a 5% cut and just hold for a couple months. I agree that I would rather have the poison out of my body even if it takes 5 years!

I'm also not sure whether to hold for a few more weeks at 7.5 mg because of still having the neuropathy in my feet and the odd sensation on my forehead. I think my feet will take years to heal though so I probably can't wait for them to get better completely.

I believe I also have PTSD from what has happened to me over the last few weeks.

Thanks for you support and yes we can do this!

Take care

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

• Moderator Emeritus

I always defer to the mods for those taper questions, but at 5% I think it would  be safe to do cuts every three weeks, perhaps holding longer every few cuts to let the nervous system truly get caught up.  Now if I can take my own advice....LOL!  And certainly, if you have the patience to hold at 7.5 mg longer, that can only help in the long run.  I think maybe people get in trouble when they rush right along with the cuts without a break, with the nervous system pedaling hard to keep up.  Eventually it seems to get overtaken.

Paxil, along with Effexor, seems to be particularly tricky, so over-cautious is better than overzealous!

SG

I am a 44 year old woman and have been on 10mg of Paroxetine (Paxil) for 8 years and in February this year decided to slowly start weaning off. I dropped to 7.5mg one day a week for a month and once I had got to 7.5 mg 7 days a week I started to drop to 5mg one day a week for a month. I am now on 5mg Monday to Thursday and still on 7.5mg Friday to Sunday. I was absolutely fine until two weeks ago when I started having a crawling feeling on the bridge of my nose and between my eyebrows. Then two days later I woke up with pins and needles in all my toes which eventually spread to under my feet. My toes also most always feel cold. I have also started with pins and needles in my left fingers and hand. I went in to see the doctor when this started and explained to her that I was weaning off Paxil but she didn't say anything about it. She did all the blood tests necessary which all came back normal. I called her again this week to say that I am really worried and she said she will put me in the system to see a neurologist in a couple of months.

I am absolutely beside myself and have made an appointment to see a private Neurologist in January which will be costly as I am not on a medical insurance. I just wondered if anyone else may have these withdrawal symptoms from tapering off Paxil? I have the pins and needles constantly under my feet although the tingles on my face come and go during the day. I feel fine within myself but I am obviously very anxious because of the physical symptoms.

Hello and welcome :) 

Pins and needles was for me very common symtom and doctors never found anything wrong on all my tests i took.

2007 - 2013: was on citalopram (tried to quit a few times, never worked, always went back on. max dose 40mg)

2012-2013: was tapering my citalopram all down to 2,5 mg then quit.
2013/aug: Took  my last pill 

W/D hit me bad after a few weeks off my medicine.

2014/August: 12 months off (much improved)

2015/April: 20months off. ( much improved, still some symtoms comes in waves, but not so intense.)

2015/june: 22months off. FELT different than before, all shakings suddenly stopped, feel much better. a fantastic feeling!

2016/Feb : 2 years and 6 months off, END of my suffering. I feel perfectly fine and back to normal. 
2018/Oct: Iam still feeling great. It is hard to believe my own story when I read back, what I went through!

Thank you SG and Ballisimo. I will also let you know what the doctor says today.

Maybe one of the moderators could also give me some advice on how to taper slowly?

Thank you

Africa

3 April 2021  3mg

Hi Africa-- The aches and pains that can come with a taper frequently don't disappear between drops.  It has to do with the anti-inflammatory effect of the drugs being undone by the taper and the body having to readjust, which can take a long time.  Mine have been pretty constant the whole way down but the severity has decreased somewhat along with the dose.  If you haven't been having neurological symptoms then it would probably be okay to taper every six weeks, while keeping an eye on the neurological stuff for your cues.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking