SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Rockingchaircat: recovery from psychotropic drugs that were prescribed willy nilly.

Rockingchaircat

Day 434

Another sleep in day, anxiety at a minimum. I ate a banana before going out to breakfast with the wife and daughter It seemed to help. No oatmeal today- diced potatoes, brain fog afterward- not near so bad. My lumosity scores this week have been a challenge to maintain scores that I managed to meet last week, and in many cases unable to.  My hand/eye coordination sucks right now. Myoclonic jerks is the name of the game nowadays. I still get spells of fatigue- but they're easier to overcome. 

Amino acid therapy seems to be efficacious.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

Day 435.

Jetlagged. That's the way I've been feeling of late. Particularly on a Monday morning after getting to sleep in for a couple of days. About another month and a half I should be able to do it for a couple of weeks. Of late I have been getting a Cortisol Spike at 3 in the morning, despite still waking up at 2. Wake up at 2, go back to sleep. Wake up a bit after 3, doze off for a bit. It's like my circadian rhythm is finally starting to shift closer to my desired wake up time. Between that and my not having to get up so many times in the middle of the night to pee- I'm getting slightly more sleep at night- which is good.

And my blood pressure of late seems to quiet down more often as well.

1)Zoloft- 6/99 to 8/04 2)Escitalopram- 8/04 to 8/10 3)Citalopram 8/10 to 4/14 (C/T), 4)Paxil a week or so, 5)Wellbutrin a week or so, 6)Reinstated Citalopram- 9/14 to 7/15

Before Taper- Celexa/20 mg....Taper Start- 04/21/15- 15mg....05/26/15- 10 mg...06/22/15- 5 mg...07/18/15- 0mg. http://tinyurl.com/qjfoqe9 Ativan/Lorazepam use/taper 10/14 to 2/15- http://tinyurl.com/ljebp84

Baclofen- Intermittent use of from 2008 till 2014. Some use of Promethazine. Some use of Zofran. Clobetasol Propionate- for Lichen Planus. Some Flexeril use. 

Ativan- GABA,A receptor Agonist., Baclofen- GABA,B receptor Agonist., Celexa/Lexapro- Serotonin 5-HT1A Receptor Agonist., Zofran- Serotonin 5-HT3 Receptor Agonist..Promethazine- Histamine H1-Receptor Antagonist. Flexeril- Serotonin 5HT2a Antagonist.

My self imposed Amino Acid Therapy: Tyrosine 500mg 1xday, Theanine 200 mg 1xday, & Taurine 500 mg 2x day. (All neurotransitter pre-cursors)- seems to have helped me immensely. And of course- eating healthy, including Black Beans for the oligosaccharides for gut health.

The attempt to develop a sense of humor and to see things in a humorous light is some kind of trick learned while mastering the Art of Living. - Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning.

Day 436.

The slight aphasia and the skin burn has been absent the last couple of days. Awake at 2 in the morning with some dozing until it's time to get up. Yesterday's overly warm weather didn't help much. A coworker had to go home early as he seemed to be coming down with some sickness. I may be too- as I'm unaccountably more sleepy than usual.

Day 437.

Last night, some difficulty falling asleep. When I do I wake up and it's myoclonic jerks and restless leg in my LEFT leg- which is new. Usually it's the right leg. Somehow I manage to get enough sleep to last me the night. Call of nature at midnight, and once more a half hour before getting up. Cloudy urine despite not having any Cortisol spikes. Emotionally I'm pretty well off. Not as hungry.

Day 438.

I wouldn't classify the last few days as being a window- but it's nice to not feel a constant anxiety. I've been getting anxiety every now and again, but it seldom lasts for more than a few minutes. I do however still am dealing with my body's aversion to certain foods. So I'm not going to write my success story on here until that is no longer as big an issue as it is now. And when I no longer need to take my amino acids.

Sleep last night- not the best- but it was adequate. Not so hungry today.

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad to read that anxiety is taking vacation or hibernating on you these days. That has got to be a relief in several ways.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Glad to read that anxiety is taking vacation or hibernating on you these days. That has got to be a relief in several ways.

Thank you Scallywag. I was about to say: "You've no idea."  But then I remembered.  We all do.  It is a relief in many ways- indeed.  And the relief is coming more often and slowly lasting longer.

Day 439.

A chilly morning. For several mornings in a row- the bed felt good to be in. And of course one's bed feels the MOST comfy when it's time to get up and go on with your life.  My sleep in the post midnight hours is still interspersed with long bouts of staring at the ceiling, but I'm managing to somehow still get a halfway decent night's sleep despite.  I'm also noticing on my arms a fading of a strange 'tan' set of spots.  I've had them for just about the entire time of my withdrawal from both the antidepressant and my benzo(s). It's only now that I'm sure that they're fading away. The right arm is 3/4's gone and the left arm is 1/2 gone. I've no firm idea why this is happening, but the improvement of my symptoms seems to play a part.

Sleep, when it occurs, is almost enjoyable now. But like all windows, they close. It's good to know that the windows are staying open longer now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Actually, I have very little personal experience of anxiety. So your comment, "You've no idea," was bang on. ;)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Actually, I have very little personal experience of anxiety. So your comment, "You've no idea," was bang on. ;)

May you continue in such a blessed condition. 

Day 440.

Sleeping in is such a luxury. Even when I cannot sleep. It's more of a doze. But there comes a point where I simply just lie in bed and enjoy the sensation of not being in intense anxiety. Tis a wonderful sensation that.Last night- another night of not having to get up in the middle to go and pee.

And there are times I have to double check if I do have a pulse. Since I've been having it so loud and strong for so very long the last couple of years. 

I don't know if I can eat any of the forbidden foods- and I'm not too terribly inclined to find out just now.  I don't want to prematurely end this window.

The brain fog still comes, but it's not as dense as it has been.

It's a lot easier to .... Be Here- Now.

Day 441.

I drank coffee this morning.  Decaf coffee yes, but close enough to real coffee as to be indistinguishable from the taste- which was akin to ambrosia.  At least the first few sips.  Damn that was good. No effect from what I can gather- thus far. I did have a bout of anxiety (very mild) this afternoon. But that occurred after a late lunch that consisted of fish fingers with jam and toast. Bacon jam that is, mildly sweet - with bacon. Go figure, it'll be more appropriate to garnish a sandwich than be a toast topping.

Strange thing today at breakfast- a couple of tables down from us ordered loudly enough for us to hear: that he wanted a vegetarian omelette with bacon bits in it.  Nice.

Blessed rain.

Day 442.

One myoclonic jerk upon trying to fall asleep last night. And then some more of the weird- 'vibration' like stuff that wakes me up in the middle of the night. It starts up at around 2 in the morning and keeps going for 45 minutes every time I nod back off. It's not a cortisol spike but it's rather annoying to lose more sleep.  It could be the withdrawal, but it's hard to say. Typical Monday for me- I'm dragging a bit as a result of not getting to sleep in like I'd have preferred after the last two mornings. 

But even with all of the problems- I still am much better off.

Day 443.

I've been hungry a lot of late. Yesterday I had dinner, I went back and got some more chicken legs, and then I had to eat some leftover fish fingers. Last night- 2 in the morning, more sleep issues. Some anxiety this morning. I'm thinking that this wave started in earnest when I ate the fish fingers. It could be an allergy but it seems to be a temporary one. The anxiety doesn't last long, it does die down a bit after a few minutes- but I can and will keep going until it goes away and stays away. Naturally- it seems to be very reluctant as to the going away part. Right now I just feel a bit tired. Well this weekend is supposed to be a 3 day weekend. I'm ready to take some vacation and try to get caught up with some sleep.

Hi Rockingchaircat thank goodness I don't have too much probs with sleep but anxiety is a bad one. I notice you talk a lot about needing to get up at night to go to the loo, I don't know how old you are but men over 50 should have there postrate checked. I don't want to scare you but you men are not good at checking on yourselves as you should . GOD BLESS

Hi Rockingchaircat thank goodness I don't have too much probs with sleep but anxiety is a bad one. I notice you talk a lot about needing to get up at night to go to the loo, I don't know how old you are but men over 50 should have there postrate checked. I don't want to scare you but you men are not good at checking on yourselves as you should . GOD BLESS

I appreciate your concern, I have it checked every six months.  I get the "poke" after the doc puts on the one glove.

For me the extra trips to the loo seems to be due to part of the withdrawal- an over active bladder it's called I believe.  Thankfully it's been settling down a lot of late, along with other symptoms.

Day 444.

A bit better sleep last night, I actually enjoyed the sensation of the bed again. More or less- I know it's inclement weather when one one of my housecats INSISTS on sleeping on my bed with me at night.  So despite the cat I managed to sleep fairly well, and I REALLY didn't want to go to work.

Drive out to the coast, in the rain,and sleepy. I actually came close to making Bambi's mother into roadkill. But I managed to swerve just enough- Though the deer is going to be awfully cold this year- with the bare butt she earned with my vehicle removing the fur from  her.

NOT eating the fish fingers- seems to have helped. I'm feeling well enough today to almost consider this day as the start of another window. More on this as it develops.

Day 445.

A bit more overactive bladder today- but that may be due in part to the loads of salty foods I ingested for dinner last night. (Does ANY restaurant serve any food that isn't pre salted anymore?)  I slept fairly well, and didn't get much of an urge to fall asleep while at work. Keeping busy and being productive at the same time- wonderful. A few spells of anxiety now and again, easily suppressed. Quite a bit more in the way of dizziness now and again. And being forgetful quite a bit of late.

Day 446. 

An intriguing morning. The usual bit of dizziness. Some skin burn, and last night- hunger. So hungry I was nauseous. Today I'm a bit ravenous, but I've pretty much kept a lid on naughty foods.  Some blurriness after breakfast, and a whole bunch of tiredness- but not the fatigue. I could really use the vacation time.

Day 447.

Definitely a wave.  Yesterday the anxiety kept coming back more and more often. This morning I slept in and paid for it. Anxiety surged and then ebbed. Then depression a couple of hours later, then it too ebbed. After that it was some fatigue, then an almost overwhelming desire to cry. Now, I'm fatigued.  I'm feeling wrung out. Despair is strong today. But occasionally I find the ability to laugh.  Wow, I'd forgotten how strong this can be.  Well this too will pass. 

Day 448

When you want to give up, try to remember why you got started. I got a bit more sleep last night- that was good. And I changed my dietary habit at the restaurant this morning- no eggs this time. No brain fog, but my eyes went blurry anyways. And I did have some more decaf like last week. Definitely more wave.  Today was much like yesterday- not as intense. This withdrawal is akin to having a sore spot stimulated when you'd rather just be left alone. Cortisol spikes- not there, or not noticeable. Last night- dry mouth which made it easier to sleep. One middle of the night trip to the loo. Overactive bladder at the movie- of course.  Miss Peregrine's home for peculiar children. Worth seeing.  Penny Dreadful's character Miss Ives stars as Miss Peregrine (Eva Green). I didn't recognise her with all of her clothes on.

Day 449.

Severely depressed in the morning. Both the wife and I are. Some household chores (but not the one we planned to do), helped bring us both out a bit. I'm stuck in the house awaiting a visit  by the UPS (oops) truck delivery person who is supposedly coming to visit and inspect the statue that they managed to break in transit. A heirloom that mine wife was wanting for forever. And it arrives- snapped off at the neck. Of course we cannot get ahold of anyone at UPS, and they're not taking messages. Watching TV has helped somewhat with the depression. Sleeping in also has, but it seems to come at a price. I find myself at a loss with so much time on my hands.  

Day 450

Yes- it's a wave. And the interesting part?  New symptoms. Or, old symptoms in a new format. So far, every morning it's: 1) I don't wanna get out of bed. 2) Anxiety surges and ebbs most all morning. 3) Depressiveness surge and then ebbs. 4) An overwhelming urge to cry that dissipates within a few minutes. 5) Some fatigue. But not as intense. 6) Resolution to keep going.

The bladder has returned to being overactive- definitely. Last night- my legs felt like they were on fire for a second. Then it disappeared. The skin burn comes and goes without warning. 

Nasty Ass Wave.  I've survived all previous waves, I'll survive this. Oh, and absentmindedness.

No cortisol spikes at night, but cloudy urine this morning. Ate some fast food for dinner (KFC). Last time I ate some fast food- urine went cloudy as well. Two weeks previous.

Day 451.

I awoke with a headache after a not-quite-long-enough-sleep. It was fun going trying to drive to my destinations in the dark and the desire to fall asleep. But the good part- No Anxiety. I'd say I just had ANOTHER window open this morning.  YAY!!!  Three and a half day- wave. Let's see how long this window stays open.  The bladder was NOT overactive today- which made driving long distances much easier and enjoyable.

Day 452.

Another window day. A myoclonic jerk last night when attempting to fall asleep. And a tight leg tendon. I've had one minor anxiousness moment today- but all in all it's all good. Skin burn has been rollercoasting. Blood pressure has been too. Bladder has been intermittently overactive. But it's good to not be constantly anxious. A three and a half day wave. I say that's a good sign. 

Day 453.

Another day of a window. A few anxious episodes here and there. Some fatigue as well- all in all, it's an improvement. Some difficulty putting together words and typing is off too. Any day without constant anxiety is a good day. I was a bit cranky this morning.

• Administrator

Thanks for checking in, Rockingchaircat. Have you tried magnesium oil for leg tightness?

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for checking in, Rockingchaircat. Have you tried magnesium oil for leg tightness?

Yes. I take a magnesium complex with my twice daily taurine.  Tightness comes and goes.

Day 454, day 4 of my Window after a 3 day Wave. Some myoclonic jerks last night, toe twitches, with the occasional headache. Yesterday I managed to work myself into a mild manic state- but managed to bring myself down with some meditation. It wasn't easy- but it was worth it. Today's been a good day. For once the wife had Saturday off so we've been enjoying a Saturday together.

Oh I just now saw it- Magnesium Oil? No I've not tried that. I shall. Thanks for the tip Alto.

• Moderator Emeritus

Just a note that I hope you see before you go looking for the topical magnesium. Lots of us call it an oil because it is slippery but it's actually magnesium chloride in water. 

scallywag's Introduction

Just a note that I hope you see before you go looking for the topical magnesium. Lots of us call it an oil because it is slippery but it's actually magnesium chloride in water. 

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Day 455. 

I slept in again today, quite a bit later than normal for a weekend- the missus didn't need to go out for breakfast today- result: Slightly elevated instances of anxiousness. Annoying, but easy enough to deal with, it's not a constant but bits now and again.  When I meditated, I ended up sleeping hard for about a half hour.  I think I'm ready for a vacation. No fighting off sleep at work. Even with the anxiousness I'm still going to consider this part of my window. So this makes- 5 days of one. When the next wave shows up, we'll see how long it lasts. But right now, the window has lasted longer than the wave.

Day 456.

Window done, wave- not quite.  Most of the time it's a combo, a Wave/Window. Anxiety comes and goes, I have a modicum of suppression control. Depressiveness is an almost daily event. Anger is there, mania if I let it. Most nights- halfway decent night's sleep. I may have come down with a cold.  I'm a bit more nappish than usual. No real way of knowing- other than the occasional bit of snotty nose.  Even now, I keep reminding myself of the improvements. The windows are longer, the waves shorter. And more pleasant times occur. I find myself enjoying things occasionally. Withdrawal thy name is Hell.

Day 457.

Woke up in the middle of the night- freezing cold. I lay there a minute or two and my body heat turned back on. I've not felt like that for months. That, and the completely stuffed up nose I had a bit later- I've got a cold. Which would explain my crankiness which intensified the last couple of days. And would explain the vertigo and much higher than normal nausea this morning after breakfast. I came close to calling in sick for the day- I'm glad I didn't.  I still got much done. Anyways, half the office called in sick too. So my efforts were needed. Another 30 second episode of anxiety just before I got up.  But I did manage a lot more sleep last night.  A week and a half before vacation begins.

Day 458.

Last night- another no get up to go to the loo night. Nice. I also slept a bit heavier- about the only good thing about colds.  I'm not quite as hungry, and I've had a couple of genuine smiles break through. I'd almost say another window. Last night's lumosity games were pretty good- though the multitasking I kept repeating over and over for the better part of an hour- and I STILL couldn't get the perfect outcome I usually get when I apply myself. No waking up with a bit of a fright, and no chills in the wee hours. I did end up staring at the ceiling for 15 minutes upon awakening. I just wasn't tired then. 

Day 459. 

Two trips to the bathroom last night. A bike ride in the rain yesterday, and I've been just a bit cranky of late. Some hunger, no libido. Another window/wave leaning towards a window.

Day 460.

I worked myself into a mild manic state, and calmed down. I got anxious, and waited for it to go away. I got depressive and worked it out. I got hungry and ate. Another day of recovery.

Day 461

Not quite so restful last night- as I got to enjoy a surge of semi-restless leg. Not actual- just the 'urge'. This morning- a surge of anxiety to wake me up and I attempt and somewhat succeed to doze in a bit. But eventually I get tired of the endless round robin of doze off and then awaken with some anxiety.

Day 462.

All I wanna do on weekends is sleep in. And what do I get for it? Anxiety. For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge Sakes!  And to top it all off, my left wrist has been flaring up in pain a lot of late. Result- I cannot do my weight training today. Which means I can't work out and feel better after.

Ya know, even just having a boring day feels sweet at this point.  But endless wave after wave, Even the tallest mountain is worn down by water.  But the mountain keeps pushing up.  As must I.

Day 463.

I broke down in frustration this morning, cried on my wife's shoulder. Three trips to the loo. Cloudy urine, anxiety that just wouldn't go away yesterday. Piss poor performance on the lumoisty brain games. And it seemed like every little thing just kept getting in the way. I can't work out- my left wrist hurts, so I  have to give it a rest. It's not hurting quite so much this morning, but I've also felt twinges in my left elbow. Even typing is a chore right now. I've taken pain pills for days, and it seems like it doesn't even touch the pain.  Why does this life have to be heavily on the painful side?

My body goes into tolerance real quick, but adapting to a life not on a pill- forget it. It's marathon time.

Day 464

A bit better sleep last night, but still difficult to get out of bed. The last couple of days anxiety has been flaring up. Yesterday was intense- most of the day. Today also intense. But not as much. I don't know if it's something I'm eating or not. Last week libido was nothing, this week something. Some high blood pressure yesterday, and an overactive bladder. The worst of it seemed to start tapering along about 10 in the morning, definitely taking hold around 11. No cloudy urine this morning, but still 2-3 trips to the loo in the night.

If I had to hazard a guess- I'd say that Windows ooze into existence, whereas Waves slam into existence.  And that the inevitable start of a wave and it's accompanying disappointment is part of the cycle. Not just being disappointed but also the mental low. I read where we should be prepared for the wave starting again, but just about every time it feels like I'm drowning in it. My emotions roller coaster. I can have moments of relief, and fleeing instances of happiness, even during the wave. 

It's like my entire gamut of emotions are in constant cycle recycle and flux.

All in all- it annoys me to say this- but some of the more annoying symptoms are improving. The post anxiety fatigue, is still there, but it's lesser. So is the anxiety level and duration. Naturally- it's not going away quickly enough to suit me.