SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Happy2Heal: Hope I'm doing this right

Happy2Heal

• Mentor

ps- can I just ask why you don't use the liquid form of the drug? Maybe I missed it above...

my doctor flat out refused to Rx the liquid.  I have tried mixing up some with OraPlus suspending solution but I messed up the dosing and have gone back to dry cuts. It's working ok for now ;-)

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 
  • Mentor
On 2/17/2016 at 5:53 AM, brassmonkey said:

Hi -- It's exciting that you're starting to feel emotions again. I was pretty nervous when mine started to show up again, but they emerged slowly at a rate that could be handled.  I've heard others say the same thing.  As for tearing up I do it all the time and frequently in difficult places like at work.

((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

thanks Brass,

yeh so far it's been ok. 😉

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Mentor

quick update, not much to report. getting over the flu, omg I was so sick!!

still feel a bit washed out but each day a bit stronger.

had one rough day emotionally but on top of having the flu, I have a very sick old rat who is very dear to me, so I don't feel too badly about that. I don't know how many days or weeks she may have, and it's hard to think about. Just spending as much time with her now as I can

weather here has been bizarre, but I'm enjoying the sun and warmth and looking forward to growing flowers and a few veggies on my porch

thinking of you all going thru this tough journey and praying it goes well for you

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

Wow been a long time!

Here's an update on how things have been going:

I got the flu Feb 11th, and apparently a second flu right after that, followed by pneumonia, yay me!
I am still recovering from the pneumonia (bacterial, not viral) and am sooooooo incredibly tired! still coughing a lot but less than before, each day a little bit better than the day before, but OMG I had no idea pneumonia was this rough!

I am going thru a period of not wanting to do much and feeling a bit down. Just not getting much enjoyment out of anything.

I am hoping it's just because I am so tired and not a "relapse" of depression. :/

I had a lot of plans before I got sick almost 2 mos ago, and now I'm so far behind in just normal stuff, I don't know if I'm going to be able to carry them out. I think I'm discouraged more than depressed.
I got all these seeds, pots and soil to grow some flowers and even some veggies on my porch and the seedlings I started died because I was too sick to remember to water them. :(

I had a plan to start certain ones each month and now I am 2 mos behind. I have to change my plans and decide what I can do, and what seeds will have to be saved for next year, because it's too late for this summer. *sigh*

plus there's all the spring cleaning to do, ugh

I am soooooo tired! I don't sleep well, so that's not helping. I have no choice but to rest during the day. Last night I was awake ALL night, fell asleep at 6 am, woke up at 9 am

I think the sleep issues might be WD symptoms...? I am not sure what to do for it though. I have some klonopin and have always been able to take a tiny dose and not have any issues afterwards so I'm thinking I might try a small dose of that.

Well I thought I'd pop in and update for anyone who might be interested lol

so busy here I doubt anyone missed me

I'll try to be around more often but can't promise anything

I hope everyone is doing well

• Moderator Emeritus

Good to hear from you.  Holy Shimolies you've had a rough few months.  No wonder you are exhausted now.  Give yourself time so you can recover well.  Are you still holding at 2.5mg?

Probably the sleep, exhaustion and feeling down are all w/d but stirred up a bit by the pneumonia.  It'll all settle down again eventually. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Mentor
On 4/14/2016 at 1:39 PM, KarenB said:

Good to hear from you.  Holy Shimolies you've had a rough few months.  No wonder you are exhausted now.  Give yourself time so you can recover well.  Are you still holding at 2.5mg?

Probably the sleep, exhaustion and feeling down are all w/d but stirred up a bit by the pneumonia.  It'll all settle down again eventually. 

thanks Karen

Yeh it's not been much fun.

I'm still holding at 2.5mgs but I'm sure I've missed a few days here and there due to being sick and so off schedule. It almost seems as if I could stop taking the 2.5mgs and not really have anything change, like, I could "jump off" at this low dose, because I when I miss a day, I do not notice ANY thing different.

before it was so obvious when I missed a dose, I would get dizzy or I would have muscle spasms, or a headache. Now, if there's any effects at all they are so subtle and so minor that I don't notice them.

I am not willing to test out this theory, mind you LOL

I have had enough of feeling like crap, I don't want to invite any trouble. lol

how have you been?

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Moderator Emeritus

"I am not willing to test out this theory, mind you LOL
I have had enough of feeling like crap, I don't want to invite any trouble. lol"

Very pleased to hear that.  I was getting a bit worried reading your last post and was about to lecture you about holding!!!

In fact you would probably be better off holding for a minimum of 4 weeks from this issue because of the very high possibly that you weren't getting quite as much drug as before and then of course going back to full dose again afterwards.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Yep, I'm glad to hear you are still holding too. 

I'm okay - think I'm coming out of this recent wave.  More energy, enjoying things again which is nice.  I'm having a long hold - has been nearly 3 months, and might go till about 6, depending...  Basically I want to get as stable as I can before I try reducing again. 

It's a slow dance...

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!
I finally met my new PCP and she is refusing to Rx more than a month of my lexapro, after that I have to find someone who is willing to Rx it -
and presumably help me with withdrawal- but this PCP told me that I "should" be able to just stop taking it and be fine,
because 5 mgs is the "loading dose" so anything UNDER that has no effect at all

omg

I have no clue what I am going to do, there are no psychiatrists in this area that take my insurance and only a handful of nurse practitioners and all of them are full up and refusing to take any other low income clients

so, I need to be able to get off lexapro in a month, any one got any ideas?
I am so scared.
My main WD symptom when I first went down really quickly was extreme insomnia and rage

I had a similar situation and eventually got a script from a pdoc from another city who dose consultation over phone and scrip by mail or fax. I can give you his contact if you'd like. Only thing is, he charges quite high ( like $ 550 or $250 w/o ins. For each 1 hour phone session). He is quick in responding.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

• Mentor

I had a similar situation and eventually got a script from a pdoc from another city who dose consultation over phone and scrip by mail or fax. I can give you his contact if you'd like. Only thing is, he charges quite high ( like $ 550 or $250 w/o ins. For each 1 hour phone session). He is quick in responding.

oh thank you so much for the offer but there's no way I can afford that, my income is at least 25% below the fed. poverty level. which takes away a LOT of my choices.

there are very few psychiatrists in this area. I'm screwed, it seems. I need to find ways to cope with what is to come, UNLESS I can convince this dr to allow me to continue til I can get off this stuff safely.

I want to print out some stuff that might persuade her, can someone help me find things that a dr would take as good enough "proof"?

she does not know that this kind of withdrawal exists, so I've got an uphill battle here.

I also do not have a printer LOL

so I have to try to figure out how to get stuff onto a thumb drive to take to a printing place

at least I have a month to do that, and considering how technologically challenged I am, it could take me that long

ugh

it sucks being poor, it really really REALLY sucks

• Mentor

oh forgot to ask, does taking prednisone cause any issues with withdrawal?

i have severe inflammation in my lungs, a post infection thing, I was told- I've been coughing for 85 days now!

so the dr Rxed some prednisone

anything I should watch for?

• Moderator Emeritus

I am not sure about the pred, but I have a question:  how did it come about that she's only prescribe you one month?  Did you tell her you were slow tapering?

I'm wondering if there's some way to fabricate a story that you've decided you want to stay on it after all.  Then, just use her for the scripts, telling her all is well each time you check in.  Sometimes we have to outright lie just to keep sourced and do what we need to do without their blessing.  Sad that it has to  be that way.

I hope some solution shows itself :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Mentor

I am not sure about the pred, but I have a question:  how did it come about that she's only prescribe you one month?  Did you tell her you were slow tapering?

I'm wondering if there's some way to fabricate a story that you've decided you want to stay on it after all.  Then, just use her for the scripts, telling her all is well each time you check in.  Sometimes we have to outright lie just to keep sourced and do what we need to do without their blessing.  Sad that it has to  be that way.

I hope some solution shows itself :-)

SG

Hi SG

It happened this way:  I fired my PCP in Dec, at which time she decided to send me off a very nasty letter  telling me that, no, SHE was firing ME

LOL

so I have had no PCP since then

I've had to go to Urgent care to be treated for pneumonia, because the new doc's earliest appt was for the end of June.

I was running out of my prescriptions so I called my new to see if she would at least call in the refills- but  she refused unless I saw her first, so my appt was pushed up to today. I am on high blood pressure meds,, so I believe she let me see her sooner because going without my BP meds could cause a problem that could potentially lead to a neglect case or something......that's my feeling, anyway. I was out of ALL meds and never mentioned the lexapro on the phone, I just said i was out of nasal spray and high blood pressure meds. I honestly think if I'd jsut said I needed the lexapro, I'd  have been put off til June.

Long story shortened not one bit LOL the new doc is simply refusing to Rx any "psych" meds at all, except for one month of the liquid lexapro that I begged the last dr for.

SO I will have the 5mgs/mL liquid lexapro and will need to do a fast taper off of that I guess.

Unless I can somehow convince her to change her mind, but that does not seem likely.

The chances of getting a psychiatrist are basically zero- I have been trying for nearly 20 yrs and there are now fewer available than there were in the past

so yeh, feeling very screwed

drs just do not know that it can take longer to withdraw off this stuff,

she was telling me, well the loading dose is 5mgs, so that's the lowest effective dose, SO, therefore, anything under that has NO effect at all

that was her reasoning.

:P

Hi.   I'm sorry for your predicament. I was wondering if it has to be a psychiatrist that you see. It might be different over there, but here in Australia we can get scripts for psych drugs from a general practitioner. It's probably not as easy in the U.S.

I hope this situation improves for you. It seems ridiculous to think how easy it is to get psych drugs prescribed, but how hard they make it to come off.

Ali

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Mentor
On 5/6/2016 at 5:13 PM, AliG said:

Hi.   I'm sorry for your predicament. I was wondering if it has to be a psychiatrist that you see. It might be different over there, but here in Australia we can get scripts for psych drugs from a general practitioner. It's probably not as easy in the U.S.

I hope this situation improves for you. It seems ridiculous to think how easy it is to get psych drugs prescribed, but how hard they make it to come off.

Ali

Many regular doctors here DO prescribe psych meds, in fact we have a shortage of psychiatrists and psych nurses who are allowed to Rx meds, so the state is asking regular doctors to pick up the slack by Rxing antidepressants and anti anxiety meds.

I do not know if this is part of a push back from the GPs/ PCPs - maybe they don't want this added responsibility put on them. I don't know.

I just wanted enough of the med to go off it safely. It's really incredible that she finds that to be a problem. I've been holding at 2.5mgs now since Dec.

😕

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Moderator Emeritus

I was thinking more about your situation.  Your stupid doctor thinks there's no difference between the minimum effective dose and 0, so it should be no problem coming off.  I was looking at my favorite paper on occupancy rates for these drugs.  This would be a good one to print out and take to your doctor!

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

The graphs illustrate BEAUTIFULLY how even at the minimum effective dose receptors are still blocked at 80%, so yes, dropping below that level has a huge impact!  

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• Mentor

I was thinking more about your situation.  Your stupid doctor thinks there's no difference between the minimum effective dose and 0, so it should be no problem coming off.  I was looking at my favorite paper on occupancy rates for these drugs.  This would be a good one to print out and take to your doctor!

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6036-why-taper-paper-demonstrates-importance-of-gradual-change-in-plasma-concentration/

The graphs illustrate BEAUTIFULLY how even at the minimum effective dose receptors are still blocked at 80%, so yes, dropping below that level has a huge impact!  

SG

thank you SO much for this, SG

I can't print out all the info for my doc, there's just too much and she is basically starting from no knowledge except what she's heard from the drug company or outdated drug books, so.......

I went and emailed her a bunch of links,

only thing is, it goes thru a  "my chart" type site, and I don't know if SHE herself will ever get any of this info-

I'm pretty sure someone one the staff, probably not even a nurse, sees these emails and decided what THEY think they should "trouble" the dr with-

In other words, it's another barrier to communicating with your doctor,

not a method of facilitating communication

I realized after my visit with her that the MAIN problem I am having with nearly all drs of all kinds, dentists included, is that they are failing miserable to simple LISTEN to their patients

they have a preconceived idea of the way things "should" be and are unwilling or unable to look past that to see reality

and *I'm" the one who got stuck with the label of crazy- or out of touch with reality

SMH

thanks again, I don't get my hopes up too much as it's brutal when they are dashed, but this at least gave me a way to feel like I could validate my position.

and hopefully pave the way for the next person who says to her that they are having trouble getting off these drugs.

• Mentor

Random question, how concerned should I be that my new doctor does not know that albuterol is a rescue inhaler, a bronchodilator

and NOT a steroid??

she told me if I'd used the albuterol that I was given in March, I wouldn't be needing an oral steroid now

???????

• Mentor

OK now I'm really confused! can someone help me with "maths"?

The oral lexapro solution was out of stock so I had to wait til today to pick it up

Even though the dr said she would only give me a month's worth, it appears she's given me a lot more-

the solution is 5mgs/5mLs, or a 1:1 solution

my current dose is 2.5mgs

the total "units" ordered are 240mLs (but they only dispense 75mLs at a time)

at 2.5mLs per day, assuming I did not taper at all, wouldn't this be enough for 96 days? 240 divided by 2.5?

or am I way off on the math?

• Moderator Emeritus

By my calculation 75 mls should last you 30 days @ 2.5 ml daily.

Score!!!  Gives you more time to work something out.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus

And yes, 240 ml would be 96 days.  That is cool in a way that they only dispense 75 ml (30 days) at a time, because then it won't go off on you for taking so long to use it!

And yes, odd that your doc doesn't realize albuterol is not a steroid. I thought it was, because of the "-ol" on the end which usually implies a steroid, but then I am not a doctor!

SG

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

• Mentor

OK I screwed up and now I'm not sure what to do

for a variety of reasons, I ended up missing days of meds, taking them at all different times and finally in all that confusion, just stopped completely

that was, er, I'm not sure. at least several days ago but possibly as much as  10 days ago

WD symptoms have not been horrible-  the temp thing, dsyregulation? or whatever it's called, that's annoying

my emotions are kinda all over the place but I do not get stuck in any one emotional state so that's good

i have some jaw tension and pain that's annoying but tolerable

I have ringing in my ears that comes and goes, again, just annoying

I don't know what will happen down the road, but I'm wondering if it would be horrible to just stay off the lexapro at this point?

what are my options?

If the WD symptoms get bad, would I go back on where I left off, at 2.5mgs or could I try something lower, and if so, how much lower?

what do you think?

my main issue would be if I could not sleep, and as of right now, I can get enough sleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi,

Unfortunately many of us have times when situations occur which put a spanner in the works.  The more accurate you can be in knowing how many days you have been totally off your Lexapro will allow a suggestion to be made about what dose you could take.  If you have been off for 10 days (thinking maximum here) and you have been holding at 2.5 mgs since December 2015 then you might be able to go to 2 mgs.  However one of the other mods might have a different thought on this.  If you do go back on I would suggest holding for at least 2 months to allow your CNS to stablise and listening to your body before considering dropping your dose again.

With regards to reinstating, it is best done at the first sign of withdrawal symptoms, remembering that the idea of tapering is to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and allowing the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  Here is the link:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

It is very important to take your drug at a similar time every day.  Perhaps marking it on a calendar (if you use one) so you can cross it off each day, or setting a daily alarm on your phone.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

hello again

OK i tried to re instate and things got bad, very bad, so now I"m totally off lexapro

I have some trouble sleeping, I have some ringing in my ears and I've got feeling cold, feeling hot thing (Temp dsyregulation or whatever it's called)

but for the past week or so, the thing that is REALLY bothering me is PAIN. all my muscles hurt

walking is painful

sitting is even painful

I don't know if this is withdrawal or if it's something I need to see a dr for.

if it's WD is there anything I can do for it?

I take celebrex daily (200mgs) so I can't take ibuprofen or anything else with it.

• Moderator Emeritus

What symptoms did you experience when you tried to reinstate?  I'm sorry you are having this problem with the pain.  

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

This is from GiaK (BeyondMeds.com), very good info.

SG

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor
On 6/4/2016 at 12:42 AM, SquirrellyGirl said:

What symptoms did you experience when you tried to reinstate?  I'm sorry you are having this problem with the pain.  

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

This is from GiaK (BeyondMeds.com), very good info.

SG

thanks for the link- I'll give those things a try!

there's a $5 per session chair yoga class at the Sr Center I may try out, although $5 is actually steep for my current budget. :P

what happened when I tried to re instate? I literally could not stand up without falling over. it was horrible. It was more than just "dizzy"

I don't recall if there were other issues, that one was so bad.. I had many days of feeling off balance and have bruises everywhere from walking into things

hmm, that may be where at least some of my pain is coming from lol

the pain "wave"  has gotten a bit better, or maybe it's better because I've been sleeping more. I sleep maybe 5 or 6 hrs and then get up, do some stuff, and need a nap. Not complaining though, because at least now I *can* sleep! beats insomnia any day!

my hair is falling out, if it keeps up at this rate, I'm gonna end up bald in a few weeks 😕

It's scary how much hair is coming out, I just touch it and come away with a handful of hair

:(

I am finding it hard to stick to a good diet, I feel crappy and want comfort food! so I've compromised, Its 80% healthy food, 20% comfort food

(used to be a 90/10 split)

I think for a little while I can indulge a wee bit

for me comfort food is bread, crackers or pasta, not really horrible foods but not on my nutritarian diet either

this is such an odd ride.

I keep thinking, shouldn't it be over by now?

but really, I'm only about 6 mos in, and it can take, what? two years? or more?

god I hope this doesn't last that long

😕

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name

• Mentor

just adding a list of symptoms I put on someone else's thread, thought it might help to have them here

I actually downplay or forget or try to ignore a lot of the possible/probable symptoms of WD to try to stay positive

but It may be useful to have these written down somewhere so if something happens I may have a better idea of figuring out if it's WD or something I need to see a dr about

C&P:

so I'm about 30 days without any lexapro now and this is what I"m dealing with:

**anxiety attacks but not constant anxiety thank god

**difficulty sleeping- I can't sleep more than an hour or two without waking up, sometimes with what I am guessing is a cortisol spike? I have what feels like a panic attack. I have on several occasions taken 0.5mgs of klonopin just to take the edge off. I ONLY take it when I have a combination of insomnia and rage, because that combination is, in my mind, potentially deadly. I could kill myself or someone else, that's how bad things have to get before I'll add on ANY other drug.

thanks to the conversations on your thread, now I have another potential tool: I will have to try sleeping propped up and see if that helps!

**going from feeling like crying to hysterical laughter for no reason, so I'm trying not to go out too much lol

**physical joint pain, muscle pain and weakness

**ringing in my ears

**periods of anger or rage- esp when having to deal with any drs cuz in my mind, now, they are evil and the cause of all that I'm going thru

**the past week or so, my hair is falling out in handfuls, If it continues at this rate I think I'll be bald in a couple of weeks.

**occasionally I will get the dizziness and brain fog that I had when first going off lexapro, and a wee bit of those brain zaps, but muted, it's almost funny, it makes me think of the brain zaps "last gasps" and attempts to make me miserable and I even laugh to myself cuz I know that I wont' ever have to deal with those again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am also experiencing that temp dsyregulation (SP??) where I get hot for no reason and then sometimes cold for no reason.

I also cant' taste food that much- nothing tastes good.

I keep eating hoping to find something satisfying, but nope...

NO idea if that's a WD thing, It might be my allergies? I use flonase nasal spray for allergies.

Um I know there are other minor symptoms but seriously I block them out as much as I can. I think that's helping me to deal with them better

Focus on other things.

;-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

UPDATE

I am having some windows!! not perfectly "clear" windows LOL but to me, any day that is greater than 50% good is a window!

I have added some salmon, eggs and tuna fish to my diet to try get those beneficial fatty acids directly from food and am wondering if that's making a difference?

I was once advised to take fish oil for depression but was told it could take at least a month to see any improvement

so I'm a bit skeptical that eating fish would be helping this quickly, but then I'm eating it to help with withdrawal symptoms, not for depression as I'm not depressed

so that's about all my news

I don't like to write about the waves, I think it's best to just focus on the good stuff

:)

Thank you for sharing the good stuff, it's so good to hear.  Now about sharing some of that salmon,egg and tuna casserole? Sound delish.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Mentor

Thank you for sharing the good stuff, it's so good to hear.  Now about sharing some of that salmon,egg and tuna casserole? Sound delish.

hahaha it wasn't a casserole though you've given me ideas

I am an ethical vegan so adding fish and eggs has been hard for me, but It does seem to help. I make salmon patties or eat the salmon just plain on crackers, make tuna salad and egg salad with vegan mayo, which is indeed pretty strange to be getting eggless mayo to mix with your hard boiled eggs, I know

:/

one other thing that seems to help is to lay down and sleep when I feel tired. I don't sleep normal hours, not even close. If I am able to lay down when I feel tired, the chances are much greater that I'll fall asleep and get better quality sleep, than if I try to stick to some schedule

I'm very fortunate to be able to do this.

• Mentor

OK I'm getting scared that I"m going to be totally bald soon

at least half of my hair has fallen out, and then for about a week, it seemed to have slowed down

now it's coming out in handfuls again

I looked up telogen effluvium, the most likely cause and one of the videos recommends this stuff called Ashwaganda- supposed to help with cortisol ??

anyone have any experience with this?

• Moderator Emeritus

Not me specifically, but some of our members discuss their experience of it here.  I recommend reading the whole page - it's not very long. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4713-ashwagandha-herb-for-anxiety-stress-and-toxic-overload/#entry76024

8 month hold.

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

UPDATE:

funny thing, when I have a long window, I am convinced that withdrawal is OVER and done with

then I get a wave- and I question what I did wrong to bring on the wave and I frantically search for remedies

It seems that I can NOT go off the diet that I've been trying to stick to- the further I stray from that diet, the worse I feel. I follow Dr Furhmans nutritarian diet for the most part.

I went off the diet the past month and have had several donuts, an ice cream bar, some lower fat baked chips, but they were chips nonetheless, and a lot of crackers and breads

and I have been had two main problems; Pain, which is related to getting more exercise but the amnt of pain seems extreme in relationship to the small increase in exercise and is probably related more to inflammation caused by my poor diet

and intrusive thoughts of doom gloom and the end  of the world, really DARK and horrible thoughts!

I got worried about the contaminants in the fish I've been eating and have ordered some vegan omega fatty acid supplement pills

and am trying to increase the anti inflammatory foods that I eat

the intrusive thoughts are horrible though. They are the reason I went back on the lexapro when I was off it for several months in the past.
I am struggling with those on a day to day basis and hoping that the diet changes and getting out more will help

I adopted a kitty!! she's great company!

and I started going out to the Sr Center for something to do and to have some human companionship as well

I hope this finds you all well.

I thought I was done and my brain had fully recovered but it seems it's still got a little ways to go yet

that's not surprising considering how long I was taking lexapro, and the very high doses that I was at, as well.

cant expect to reverse well over a decade of being heavily medicated over night, I suppose

:P

but I have faith that my brain will continue to sort this all out and get to where it's functioning well again.

all the best to you all!

• Moderator Emeritus

Nice to see an update from you!  I'm sorry the doom and gloom thoughts have been a problem.  I hope the diet helps.  Well, you are a classic case of the windows and waves of recovery from psych meds! 

SG

Edited by ChessieCat
removed member name