cippo7

Cippo7: how much time need for safe tapering antidepressant?

cippo7

hi i have take fevarin for 2 and half years and i have dismiss that instant and i was suffering from sleep mind full of thought bad humor ecc if you stop take antidepressant instantly you have some damage? or after the collateral effect pass the brain going in balance again? sorry bad english im italian

Edited by scallywag
tags

KarenB

Hello Cippo,

Welcome to s/a.  I moved your post here so more people will see it and you can get some answers.  This can be your introductory thread where you can record all your tapering progress, and ask any questions.  It would be great if you filled out a signature so we can see your details at a glance.

Am I right that you stopped fevarin cold-turkey?  If so, you will be feeling some withdrawal symptoms and it can take quite a long time to feel better again.  What is withdrawal?

How long ago did you stop?  If you stopped only recently it would be a good idea to consider reinstating a small amount.  This would help you to stabilise, and after that you could plan a gentle taper.  We recommend tapering by no more than 10% each 4-6 weeeks. 

Here is the link about tapering favarin:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5095-tips-for-tapering-off-luvox-fluvoxamine/

Have a read, and come back to this thread to ask any questions.  We'd like to help you find the best way to get through this.

Best wishes,

KarenB

cippo7

thanks im italian i dont undertsand very well i need to know pls if you cold-turkey antidepressant synthomps are more long and more bad effects right?

but after this disappear in how much in 2 years of taking meds? and after you fdont get any damage or need other drugs right? the brain restabilized after whitdrawal?

sorry im afraid something went wrong ufff

nz11

Ciao cippo

What a beautiful language you have.

1. if you cold-turkey antidepressant synthomps are more long and more bad effects right?

yes right.

2. but after this disappear in how much in 2 years of taking meds?

No one can answer this question ...its the great unknown some world authorities have made suggestions....

World authority D Healy has said recovery takes 2-4 years once drug free

Breggin doesnt quantify it but says ...years

Shipko says 5-10 years

It gets better in time.

3. and after you dont get any damage or need other drugs right?

Its best to not expose yourself to pschotropic drugs ever again and if issues remain then seek non drug solutions. These drugs arent fixing a chemical imbalance they are creating one. And taking them profoundly alters the brain for the worse that takes for some many years to reverse and heal from.

People who stop abruptly generally take longer to heal than those who taper safely.

As Karen says when did you stop?

Welcome

Keep us updated.

Irvingkirsch

Ciao cippo

1. if you cold-turkey antidepressant synthomps are more long and more bad effects right?

yes right.

No one can answer this question ...its the great unknown some world authorities have made suggestions....

Shipko says 5-10 years

It gets better in time.

Its best to not expose yourself to pschotropic drugs ever again and if issues remain then seek non drug solutions. These drugs arent fixing a chemical imbalance they are creating one. And taking them profoundly alters the brain for the worse that takes for some many years to reverse and heal from.

People who stop abruptly generally take longer to heal than those who taper safely.

Welcome

Keep us updated.

I've cold turkeyed so many drugs over the last 10 years. Does this mean It will take me like 25 years to recover? :(

cippo7

hi sorry for bad english im italian i have some questions 

1.i have to taper the antidepressant 10 % too if im gettin the antidepressant for about 2 mounths or 3

2.how to taper antipsycotic and bendiozapine?

thanks i have to taper fluvoxamine abilify and tavor

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

cippo7

i have to taper off paroxetine but if i have take it for about 3 mounths i have to slow taper or i can taper more fast? for a little period i taked it

Edited by scallywag
moved from 10% taper topic

scallywag

Cippo, you posted about your situation in two other topics. I've moved them both to your introduction topic so that all your information, questions and answers are in one place.

Before answering your questions, we need to know more about your current medications and what changes you've made in the last year. 

Please post for each medication you're taking right now:

• when you started taking it
  • your current dose
  • any changes in dose that were made in 2016.

Please also list any medications that you started and stopped in 2016.

Mort81

Some people recover very fast and others very slow, nobody knows how why or when. You would think dosage, amount of drugs taken and duration would offer insight into recovery time? But even that has been shown to have no pattern. Usually a slow taper offers best chance of a smoother WD but even that is no guarantee.

cippo7

sorry i have posted another one thanks all for reply

Ciao cippo

yes right.

Shipko says 5-10 years

It gets better in time.

Welcome

Keep us updated.

sorry i have posted another topic pls moderator you can delete it  :(

i stopped fevarin cold turkey after 2 years in 2009

and the pdoc give me bad news tell me i have a avoidant personality disorder instead tell me that the hell i was feel was for the antidepressant i cold turkey very bad times pls understand me my pain the pdoc gived me :(

scallywag

Cippo - I found the other topic you started and have hidden it. Thanks for posting about it. :)

cippo7

Cippo - I found the other topic you started and have hidden it. Thanks for posting about it. :)

thanks..

what you can say to help me im taking fevarin again like for 2 months what you say i need to do a "cure" for depression for some months or a year and after taper off or  so start tapering off from now?

scallywag

Cippo -  Fevarin , generic fluvoxamine maleate , is sold in the USA as Luvox CR.

What dose of Fevarin are you taking?

cippo7

i started 50 mg 1 week then 100 mg for about 2 weeks and my pdoc give me too abilify that is a neurolettic im taking it for about 1 months

scallywag

Would you please post your complete history with medications in one post? It's hard to keep track with information in several different posts.

nz11

Cippo please dont CT any more of these drugs. If the doc says you can then he is misinformed.

And please put up your full drug signature

cippo7

thanks to all really apreciate i will not take it anymore of these drugs really thanks i dont need it i will taper off now all

onyl last question i need to taper off too the abilify? (is an neurolettic)

thanks to all have replied this post   :)

scallywag

Yes, you should slowly taper Abilify gradually, not all at once.

What medications are you currently taking?

• fevarin and dose
  • abilify and dose
  • paroxetine and dose

scallywag

Answering a question you asked in another topic:

Here's a letter a woman wrote to her psychiatrists asking the same question that I ask, Why don't doctors know?

Why Don't They Know? A Letter to My Doctor - Mad In America

(www.madinamerica.com/2014/04/dont-know-letter-doctor/)

Why was I prescribed this regularly for six years when the FDA recommends only four weeks? Why is a severely toxic mind-

where fda say that antidepressant should be taken for 4 weeks max? i was searching but cant find it can you help me pls im doing some resaerch

cippo7 -- in the linked article at the Mad In America website, the author writes about the FDA recommendation benzodiazepine drugs such as Klonopin (clonazepam), Xanax (alprazolam), Ativan (lorazepam) and Valium (diazepam).

Are you taking a benzodiazepine drug?

cippo7

Are you taking a benzodiazepine drug?

no i take it occasionaly like 1 time every week for the question before im taking

- now im taking 100 mg of fevarin for a  1 week and abilify for 1 month

10 mg paroxetine for 2 months and my pdoc say tio taper off(the taper was 10 days 20 mg paroxetine and 1/2 of fevarin after 1/2 paroxetine and 1 of fevarin 100 mg)

started whit 10 now im on 5 mg abilify i tapered fast to 5 mg

scallywag

This post has 5 questions for you. Please answer each of them.

Here's my interpretation of what you've written:

List of medications you are currently taking:

- 100 mg fevarin, you started taking 100 mg on ~ 20 January 2017, after 1 week of taking 50 mg (started ~ 13 January)

- 20 mg paroxetine, started taking it in late October or early November 2016

- abilify ___ mg, started taking in early January 2017

- benzodiazepine ___ mg, as needed: usually about once per week.

Questions:

1. Is this the list above with your current medications correct?

2. What is your dose of abilify?

3. What benzodiazepine drug do you take as needed about one time per week?

4. What dose of the benzodiazepine do you take?

5. Are you taking any other medications for any reason? Other medications could be prescription, or over-the-counter (like antihistamine, ibuprofen, sleep aids) or street drugs (like marijuana, cocaine, crystal meth)

cippo7

thanks for reply thanks god exist a site like this and people like you

1 yes 100 mg fevarin 10 mg abilify the date are correct too

2 10 mg abilify but i tapered instantly to 5 mg no big difference i see

3 lorazepam

4 1 mg

5 no nothing 

the questions :

1 can i taper more fast fevarin or i have to taper off 10% too if im taking it for about 1 month?

2 i have to taper off abilify too 10% if im taking it for about 1 month?

3 can i taper like 20% every week? 

scallywag

Thank you cippo.

Updated list of medications you are currently taking:
- 100 mg fevarin, started taking it in you started taking 100 mg on ~ 20 January 2017, after 1 week of taking 50 mg (started ~ 13 January)
- 20 mg paroxetine, started taking it in late October or early November 2016
- abilify 10 mg, started taking in early January 2017, decreased to 5 mg
- lorazepam 1 mg, as needed: usually about once per week.

Questions:

1. When did you decrease Abilify from 10 mg to 5 mg?

2. Your first post says you took fevarin for 2.5 years, probably starting in 2014, and then one day you just stopped taking it. After stopping you had problems with sleep and feeling bad, "bad humor".

Is that a correct interpretation?

What dose were you taking before you stopped?

When did you stop taking it -- what month and year?

Answers to your questions:

1. If you started Fevarin in January because of symptoms that started after stopping it in the months before, it would be safer to taper by 10%.

2. You may be able to taper abilify faster. It depends on your answers to the questions in this message.

3. The amount you decrease every month or how frequently you decrease should be based on your symptoms. I can't predict what your symptoms will be.

cippo7

i decreased abilify to 5 mg like 1 and half week ago

i took fevarin many times first time 2007 - 2009 at the age of 15-17 i was taking 75 mg and after i cold turkey and have bad expierences like very bad humor crying going "mad" insonnia nightmares headcache 

now im on 2.5 mg of abilify and i decreased to 25 mg fevarin i dont know im not doing 10% taper but im not felling bad effect for now

scallywag

Please don't decrease your abilify again until 4 to 6 weeks after the day you decreased to 2.5 mg. With medications like abilify, it can take several weeks for withdrawal symptoms to appear. It's safest to make sure that you actually have adjusted to the new dose instead of assuming that you have adjusted.

cippo7

hello all i have write in the past here but my situation isnt good :(

i have been take 3 meds now i have retook it because i was feeling bad but now i know the truth!!!i will not take this meds anymore!!

beacuse i have finally get a job and starting monday i want start to take off this meds can you help me pls?

im taking 

10 - 15 mg abilify

20 drops haldol 3 x times a day

100 mg fevarin

the question is which i have to start to taper ?antipsychotic first? and im taking this for about 2 mounths can i taper faster than 10 % every week?

thanks my friends 

very helpful forum and god bless you all

blessings andrea