Lexapro taper by sandaiden

sandaiden

I was on 10 mg. Lexapro for 9 years. On 7/17/11 I started weaning myself off. I stopped completely on 8/9/11. I think that may have been a mistake. I've been having panic attacks and anxiety for 2 days. I've had other weaning symptoms the whole time. I took what I had attempted to cut into an eighth of a 10 mg. tablet. I do not know what to do.

Hi: I was told by a relative who is a pharmacist that almost any antidepressant can be made into a liquid by a compounding pharmacist. This way you could be more precise when weaning off it.....

On antidepressants since October 1997 including: Paxil, Celexa, Cipralex, Effexor (a couple of days only, horrible stuff.....), Pristiq 50 mg.

Started to taper off Pristiq Feb 2011, last pill April 9, 2011

Take the occassional Clonazapam when morning anxiety too much to handle.

Post menopausal - started low dose BHRT 27July10

Reinstated 5mg of Escitalopram (Cipralex), 2 Aug 2010

Stopped taking BHRT 19Aug11

Increased to 10 mg Cipralex 19Aug11

Increased to 15 mg Cipralex 29Aug11

• Administrator

Hi, sandaiden. You're in luck. Lexapro is one antidepressant that is available in liquid form.

If I were you, I'd get a prescription for the liquid right away. Since you had withdrawal symptoms while you were tapering, try going back on 5mg (not all the way back to 10mg). That may be enough to reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

(If you have tablets left, try cutting one in half and taking 5mg.)

If 5mg works, stay at 5mg for a month to let your nervous system adjust. Then we can talk about tapering more slowly with the liquid.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.