Damienpryan

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

miT
On 5-8-2017 at 0:07 AM, erer said:

This is why I have created a tweaked schedule for myself where I've rounded up the amounts. That again means that after reaching 1 mg the reductions will be 0,9 mg to 0,8 to 0,7 etc. Jump from 0,2 mg to 0,1 will be a 50% reduction. 

I'm not there yet (currently at 3,7mg), but I'm planning to follow the same schedule below 1mg. I'm not gonna ask my doctor to prescribe 0,675mg of paxil...

erer
On 12/08/2017 at 0:14 PM, miT said:

I'm not there yet (currently at 3,7mg), but I'm planning to follow the same schedule below 1mg. I'm not gonna ask my doctor to prescribe 0,675mg of paxil...

miT, how are your symptoms so far?

miT
1 hour ago, erer said:

miT, how are your symptoms so far?

I feel it’s getting harder and harder on the low doses. I’m intending an extended stay (2 months) on 3.5mg.

rapunzel2

what's the jumping off dose for seroquel? I'm planning it to be 2,25mg. I wonder in what dose others have jumped off?

ChessieCat

Hi rapunzel, I think jumping at 2.25mg may be too high.

Think of it this way, you have been going carefully up until now, why not continue to be patient and do it the better way rather than risk upsetting things.

brassmonkey

The thinking several years ago was that 1mg was a good target for jumping off.  Sadly that has been proven wrong on many occasions.  It is best to taper as low as possible before jumping.  If at all possible 0.1mg or smaller.  Those tiny doses are a pain to try and work with, but it will really pay off in the end.

Altostrata
On 10/16/2017 at 8:06 AM, Drugrage said:

Once on ssri never off ssri. 10% of 0.01 is 0.001

Guys come on at some point just drop down to 0. 

Please dont be obsessive 

The funny thing about this is that you don even get an even dose when it comes to 0.1mg. Just the bare fact that the actual dose you get from the meds vary proves my point.

But then homeopathics exist ..

Even if 0.1mg only has a placebo effect, we respect that some people who have had a difficult time might fear to come off the drug and prefer to be extra-extra cautious.

In fact, we have reliable reports from people that they can feel the effect of 0.1mg. Having been hypersensitive myself, I have no doubt this is so. Paroxetine, for example, can be so difficult to come off, people will reduce by fractions from even 0.1mg.

Drugrage, before posting snide remarks on this site, you would do well to look around and see how other people are doing.

AmyK

I went down to way under 0.1 mg zoloft. I felt every step...

But I was able to microtaper the last tiny bit quite quick. 

Lakelander82
On 8 November 2017 at 7:02 PM, AmyK said:

I went down to way under 0.1 mg zoloft. I felt every step...

But I was able to microtaper the last tiny bit quite quick. 

Not meaning to be argumentative in anyway Amy, but when you got down to doses as miniscule as you did, how could you be even sure you were getting consistent doses? It would have been so hit and miss, for example one day you could have been getting 0.08 mgs the next 0.1mgs. 

AmyK

It was easy. I titrated the last tiny 0.33 mg (1 mg in weight) in water and used a syringe, 

Lakelander82

I was more referring to your syringe technique. For the life of me, I don’t know how you measured for example, 0.006mg using a syringe. What sort of dilution factor did you use?

It’s purely out of curiousity in case I need to do the same on down the line. 

AmyK

I put 0.33 mg in 50 ml water. Every 1 ml on the syringe was then 0.0066 mg. (50x0,0066=0.33). 

KarenRose

This is a super helpful thread.

I was beginning to feel strange about having to reduce so very slowly and in such tiny increments and dosages as I have been... Not after reading this.

I have tapered for over 2 years, am at 0,05 (!) mg Celexa and have previously tried to jump off at 1 mg, and recently from 0,05. Felt HORRIBLE the first time, and pretty awful this time. I am now stabilizing now at this low, low dose after reinstating, and will then try to taper down lower and lower with long holds, listening to my symtoms and improvements rather than thinking of the numbers. I figure (and hope) that this method will allow me to do a lot of the healing as I go, rather than get hit with a much bigger wave post taper because of wanting to be done.

I wonder and sometimes worry if there even will be a point where I feel comfortable jumping off at all, but am trying to chance this fearful fretting to a more sustainable focus on simply continuing to reduce. This way I can live without the nagging fear of having to "jump" and crash - which I have done too many times and am a little phobic about - and should be carrying less and less - and at the end very little - toxic SSRI in my body. I do see signs of healing and this makes me think I am finally on a better path and will eventually be all the way off.

I too use liquid and syringes and make sure to mix everything very well. It seems like the dosages are pretty even, but I have no way to know for sure.

THANK you to this great, lifesaving forum.

brassmonkey

Hi Karen-- I understand your fear of taking the jump.  It's almost as bad as the fear of starting a taper. Taking that step into the unknown and previously badly experienced area is a big deal. Cutting down to smaller and smaller doses can be done for a long time. Especially when using liquids extremely small doses are possible.  Taking a long hold to let things stabilize really well and then continuing with small cuts would work quite well.  Then one of these days the jump will just happen.  Taking the tiny dose will become more trouble than it's worth, you'll start missing doses and not realizing it, take a trip and forget to take your meds along.  They are all ways of your body telling you it's time.

Frogie
11 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Karen-- I understand your fear of taking the jump.  It's almost as bad as the fear of starting a taper. Taking that step into the unknown and previously badly experienced area is a big deal. Cutting down to smaller and smaller doses can be done for a long time. Especially when using liquids extremely small doses are possible.  Taking a long hold to let things stabilize really well and then continuing with small cuts would work quite well.  Then one of these days the jump will just happen.  Taking the tiny dose will become more trouble than it's worth, you'll start missing doses and not realizing it, take a trip and forget to take your meds along.  They are all ways of your body telling you it's time.

Hi Brassmonkey:

Thanks for all the information you provide. It is truly priceless.

I'm a long way off from the "jump", but how do you measure a dose like .0065 on a syringe? I'm just curious. I am doing liquid Lexapro as you know..

I appreciate you answering my question. I'm really in a bad wave right now. A lot of anxiety with this taper, no nausea as usual. I don't know which is worse lol...

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

ChessieCat
3 hours ago, Frogie said:

how do you measure a dose like .0065 on a syringe?

You need to dilute it so that you can measure and take a larger amount of solution.  You could dilute it so that instead of trying to measure .0065ml you measure .65ml or dilute it more and measure 6.5ml because each ml of the solution will be a weaker dose.

If you start working on understanding it now you'll be all ready to go when the time comes ;)

KarenRose
13 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Brassmonkey, thank you very much. What you said here gives me a lot of hope and clarity, something that has been sorely missing in my life since beginning SSRIs.

I think this ultra slow end of taper is a great strategy that many people might benefit from - I would have saved years of suffering had I known years ago, so thank you to you and this forum.

Best wishes to you and everyone here. Karen