Psych drug withdrawal center raising funds to open in 2013

Altostrata

• Administrator

A group of activists is raising money to open a center in Watsonville, California for withdrawal and recovery from psychiatric drugs.

The Pajaro Valley Sunrise Center will provide supportive psychotherapy to assist residents in the transition. From the Web site http://www.pvsunrise.org/ubercart/ :

"Through the intensive use of Re-evaluation Counseling (RC), residents will be helped with the symptoms of withdrawal as well as the emotional issues that resurface as the drugs leave their system. The residents will be active partners in this endeavor. They will come to the center ready to stop taking drugs and will proceed at their own pace. In collaboration with the staff, residents will plan their activities and assist in planning their emotional healing process. The goal is to have residents get off drugs safely, and return home in charge of their emotional issues, able to use the tools of Re-evaluation Counseling, and with a support system waiting for them."

The board of directors has ties to MindFreedom, an organization of psychiatric survivors and reformers, and ICSPP, a reform organization founded by Dr. Peter Breggin, author of Your Drug May Be Your Problem.

Contact the Pajaro Valley center at: postmaster .at. pvsunrise.org

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Oooh! I know one of the board members! I met Joe Gallagher recently at a psychiatric reform conference and he spoke about this program. I can attest that he is indeed a very committed physician and fully understands how beyond broken the health care system is, and the mental health care system in general. I just know that this program will be a success.

Looking forward to future developments!

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

Great news indeed. I hope someone in Europe will sieze the idea.

On the other hand, it is really grave that it had to come that far. The "health industry" is so unbelievable dangerous...

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.