SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

megb: 3rd time attempt to get off Paxil

megb

I meant drop as in a medicine dropper.

You said I was only been able to make one drop so far How big was the drop. Right? So I assumed you meant drop like" decrease" that's why I said I'm on one drop . Is that clear now?

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• megb

• Altostrata

• brassmonkey

• Survivor1

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yes. Gotcha :)

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

Olanzapine 7.5mg at night

Ambien: 5-10mg at night

Xanex: 5-10mg at night

Fish Oil: for prenatal things

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Oct'12-Sep'15: 20mg Paxil
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus' blood and righteousness. 

• 1 month later...

It's been almost 5 days on 9.1mg and I'm doing alright. I've noticed it takes longer for me to fall asleep at night, but I still stay asleep fairly well. I can feel the minor brewing of anxiety and have to take some deep breaths at times. It really isn't bad though. Seems to be worse when I'm go-go-go on a project or deep cleaning the house. Must be that my CNS is overstimulated? Taking more breaks will be key. Emotionally, I do feel sensitive a lot. The waves of nausea are not bad and only last 30 seconds or so. I've had to explain to many that I am not pregnant :)

The hardest part though... the CRAVINGS. Craving sugar and fried things allll the time. My appetite is crazy, but I am grateful because I do think I am worse when I have no appetite. 

Sep '18 - became pregnant  in late August, then on 9/5 insomnia/anxiety went THROUGH the roof. I tried a lot of things but here is what is current: 

Paroxetine: 6.2mg (began 9/5/18, and there was a new manufacturer of which I just found out 2 days ago) during the day

• Aug '18: Paroxetine 6.6mg, (30mg thyroid hormone, fish oil, vit D3, SBI protect, probiotic. Following AIP diet)
  • Mar '16: began taper from 20mg. Decreasing .75mg or less each month or more. Sporadically used Ambien &/or Trazodone for insomnia. 
  •  Sep'15: tried to come off slower. Used fish oil, vit D3, and regular exercise/healthy diet to assist. (Taper sched= 18mg for 60days, 15mg for 60d, 10mg for 30d, 8mg for 30d) At my 3rd week of 8mg in Nov '15, insomnia and panic attacks began. Back up to 20mg after a month of horrible withdrawal. 
  • Sep'12: 1st attempt to get off, naively tried cold turkey per Dr. suggestion. Couldn't work for 2 months. Another Doc upped dose to 20mg.
  • Jun '09-Aug '12: 10mg Paxil for severe insomnia due to anxiety. Also took Ambien/Trazodone for sleep.  Other meds taken sporadically: Ativan, Abilify, Xyrem 

• 3 months later...

Dear SA diary (and whomever stops by), 

It's been about 3 months since I last wrote and a lot has changed. It's been almost 45 days following a very strict AIP diet (Autoimmune Paleo) for my Hashimoto's. It's been hard and I've definitely not been sticking to only 20g fructose, but overall I've been adhering. I have noticed my anxiety is much much lower... I am going to say this is the AIP diet because of course going lower and lower in dose will not make anxiety better for me usually. SO grateful. 

I've been taking more supplements for my gut health, which are terribly expensive but hopefully they will give excellent results in the end. I get my bloodwork done in another 3 weeks. 

Now on 7.7mg (!!) and very proud of my body and brain. My sleep is very good, praise God, and I don't really have random nausea anymore. Seem to be doing well with monthly decreases of .4-.5mg. I do think Paxil is affecting my hormones negatively - I was shown to have estrogen dominance for the last year or so. I'm sure it will take awhile but hoping hormones level out as I get down to 5mg and lower. Quite hopeful at the moment. 

This weekend my husband and I are celebrating 7 years of marriage ❤️ So very much looking forward to that. He is incredibly wonderful and I am the luckiest to have such a supporter in him. Best to all of you!

Meg

• Administrator

Sounds like you're making progress, meg. Congratulations on your anniversary.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/30/2017 at 9:36 AM, megb said:

I've been in a really good window for at least 3 weeks now :) I even traveled to see my sister and new nephew (who is the most precious being EVER) across the country and slept decently! This is huge! I have also continued to stay off Trazodone and have only been taking 1.5mg Melatonin at night for the last 5 days.

Still debating the next drop... to 12.5 or 13? hmmmm... I tolerated dropping from 14 to 13.5 well but not so much 15 to 14. I should probably go slow and do a .5 drop, but my heart wants to get off this crap faster. 

Great to hear you’re in a window Meg, 

How wonderful it must feel to have a three week window. I’m in a window too.

Yes, it’s always a dilemma as to how slow to taper. Hope you figure out what works for you. So many decisions to make in this process and we tend to learn by trial and error. The weird thing is too that what works at one stage doesn’t work at another stage. We are constantly having to change things. I’ve found sometimes I’ve had to make the holds longer too than at other times.

I’m tapering extremely slowly. I find trying to go quicker isn’t that beneficial as I just end up having to hold longer. You don’t get anywhere quicker. I’ve been having a break from tapering for a few months n will continue to do so for another couple of months. 

Are you finding the melatonin beneficial? 

Wishing you all all the best in your tapering decisions💚

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

10 hours ago, Carmie said:

Great to hear you’re in a window Meg, 

How wonderful it must feel to have a three week window. I’m in a window too.

Yes, it’s always a dilemma as to how slow to taper. Hope you figure out what works for you. So many decisions to make in this process and we tend to learn by trial and error. The weird thing is too that what works at one stage doesn’t work at another stage. We are constantly having to change things. I’ve found sometimes I’ve had to make the holds longer too than at other times.

I’m tapering extremely slowly. I find trying to go quicker isn’t that beneficial as I just end up having to hold longer. You don’t get anywhere quicker. I’ve been having a break from tapering for a few months n will continue to do so for another couple of months. 

Are you finding the melatonin beneficial? 

Wishing you all all the best in your tapering decisions💚

HI Carmie!

I see that you were on a post of mine from 2017 in April :) So I'm in a very different place at the moment and not taking anything for sleep. You're right about the going slow though, it always ends up being that I have to hold longer and go through more symptoms if I drop faster/larger amounts. Melatonin was okay last year around that time, but other times it wasn't the best and did nothing. 

How are you?? Still tapering Seroquel? Gosh that one was a beast. I took it for a couple days (2 years ago) and couldn't do it, hallucinations and terrible sleep. What is your tapering life like? 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, megb said:

HI Carmie!

I see that you were on a post of mine from 2017 in April :) So I'm in a very different place at the moment and not taking anything for sleep. You're right about the going slow though, it always ends up being that I have to hold longer and go through more symptoms if I drop faster/larger amounts. Melatonin was okay last year around that time, but other times it wasn't the best and did nothing. 

How are you?? Still tapering Seroquel? Gosh that one was a beast. I took it for a couple days (2 years ago) and couldn't do it, hallucinations and terrible sleep. What is your tapering life like? 

Hi Meg, 

Yes, it looks like I was reading an old post😀. Was a little braindead. Ahh! Brain fog! How great that you’re sleeping well. I’m sleeping because I’m still on Seroquel, but I’ll eventually get rebound insomnia. I remember forgetting to take the meds one night and I couldn’t sleep at all. Something to look forward to.😕 When this happens I’ll try acupuncture for it and other strategies to see if anything helps.

I was on AIP too for many years, I found it good because it seemed to really seemed to regulate my blood sugar levels and I lost all the weight that I put on from the Seroquel. I’ve never weighed so much in my life, I was over 70kgs. I’m about 59kg now and have no trouble losing weight at all. I’m one of those fortunate people that doesn’t have to exercise to lose weight. So many people on meds put on weight. I can’t do much exercise because of CFS, I’d collapse. 

I’m sorry you have Hashimotos, I hope AIP is helping, I’m no longer on it, but I’m still pretty much doing the Paleo thing.  I don’t eat grains or dairy etc etc. These diets really are good for anxiety. How are you doing now with sticking to no more than 20g of fructose?

As regards my tapering  life, I’ve been tapering by around 4% to 5% a month. One taper this year I didn’t hold long enough and I really payed for that. Haven’t been tapering for a few months and am having a break for another few months as I want to do quite a few things, been to concerts, having different friends over for lunch every week and I have a holiday coming up. My illness already limits what I can do, that on top of withdrawals really limits my life so I’m having a bit of a break from taoering.

Im thinking of trying microtapering next.

You’re doing so well, you’re down to 7.7mg, I’m down to 7.5mg. I’d love to continue to see how you go with your tapering. Keep posting. 

Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

Carmie, 

Ugh rebound insomnia sucks so much. Glad you are sleeping and tapering so responsibly! I was always afraid to microtaper as I get my meds compounded, let me know how that goes for you. 

So funny that you mention fructose...I am SO bad at staying under 20g...I go over every single day :( That's my only vice with this diet. I am a total sugar addict so I get it from fruit mostly now. I've got to do better with my sugars! I'm sure it will help my anxiety even further by avoiding it altogether. 

Hugs back! Meg

Hi Meg,  glad to see you are doing well.  Slow but sure really seems to work (I still have to learn this🙄). Hope your taper continues to be relatively uneventful. Cheers!

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/20/2018 at 1:22 AM, megb said:

Carmie, 

Ugh rebound insomnia sucks so much. Glad you are sleeping and tapering so responsibly! I was always afraid to microtaper as I get my meds compounded, let me know how that goes for you. 

So funny that you mention fructose...I am SO bad at staying under 20g...I go over every single day :( That's my only vice with this diet. I am a total sugar addict so I get it from fruit mostly now. I've got to do better with my sugars! I'm sure it will help my anxiety even further by avoiding it altogether. 

Hugs back! Meg

Hi Meg, 

When I start microtapering I’m going to do it from a 7.5mg compounded capsule. I’ve been using a 25mg tablet until now n doing my own water titration.  I’ll be using the compounded capsule to do water titration too. 

Well, if eating too much fruit is your only vice I think you are doing amazing. Keep up the good work Meg!💚

• 3 months later...

Y'all. I am in a HUGE pickle. I was doing amazing and then all hell broke loose. 

I am 7 weeks pregnant and have had HORRIFIC insomnia for the past 5 weeks. I'm talking the worst ever. The last two days I've felt a little better but I need your help! I'm seeing all the docs and was even hospitalized for this. Here is a snapshot: 

for 8 months doing great, not using anything for sleep and only taking Paxil & thyroid med plus some supplements for my gut health

Night of Sept 4th - BAM, no sleep and heavy anxiety

Fast forward from there and it's been terrible every day since. Maybe I had one okay night. I'm so scared.

I started taking some Xanex before I knew I was pregnant and also Ambien and Trazodone. Tried to go off xanex with no luck yet, still need to build up serotonin levels I think. This is my schedule (***I KNOW this is a lot and dangerous and horrible - PLEASE DONT say anything about the meds being too awful for baby and me or in combo, etc. I so so so know it.) I just need some encouragement to get me over this terrible hellish hump. This is for my own documentation too. I am being monitored closely by a psychiatrist every week. 

Original Schedule: 

8:30pm - 25mg Trazodone

8:45pm - 10 mg Olanzapine (makes me verrry drowsy but not put me to sleep)

9-1a - try to sleep on just that

1a - take .5-1mg xanex and 8-9mg Ambien  (I KNOW, I know)

New Schedule: 

10pm- 10mg olanzapine

10:30pm- Ambien

try to sleep for however long

some time before 2am take Xanex

• Administrator

meg, what happened to the Paxil?

When did you add trazodone, olanzapine, Ambien, and Xanax? How often have you been taking Xanax in the last 2 weeks?

Have any of these 4 drugs helped you sleep?

Are your doctors aware that women often experience sleep disruption from hormone changes in pregnancy? See https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/early-insomnia

Please update your signature.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

meg, what happened to the Paxil? -  I am still on 6.2mg Paxil, sorry did not mention that. AND I found out they compounding pharmacy switched manufacturers... could this be what happened along with pregnancy??

When did you add trazodone, olanzapine, Ambien, and Xanax? How often have you been taking Xanax in the last 2 weeks? - take Xanex every night .5-1mg

Have any of these 4 drugs helped you sleep?- Xanex is the only one I think that is helping. I don't sleep usually until I take it :( SO disheartening. 

Are your doctors aware that women often experience sleep disruption from hormone changes in pregnancy? See https://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/early-insomnia YES. but mine is honestly the worst they have ever seen; when you can no longer walk on your own due to muscle atrophy... it's bad. 

Please update your signature. I will update my sig

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote for easier reading

• Administrator

When did you add trazodone, olanzapine, Ambien, and Xanax? How often have you been taking Xanax in the last 2 weeks?

How long have you been taking Xanax every night?

Since your doctors have you on 4 drugs for sleep during pregnancy and 3 of them haven't helped, I would take anything they say about treatment of your pregnancy insomnia with a grain of salt, including "worst they've ever seen." Have any suggested a bit of exercise for muscle atrophy?

When did you add trazodone, olanzapine, Ambien, and Xanax? How often have you been taking Xanax in the last 2 weeks? - I've been taking it for at least 3-4 weeks, it's hard to tell because I can't remember anything. But I only take it once at bedtime, when I have been awake trying to sleep for 3+ hrs. I added Traz and Ambien right away 5 weeks ago, the Xanex 4 weeks ago, and Olanz 5 nights ago. 

How long have you been taking Xanax every night? (answered above)

Since your doctors have you on 4 drugs for sleep during pregnancy and 3 of them haven't helped, I would take anything they say about treatment of your pregnancy insomnia with a grain of salt, including "worst they've ever seen." Have any suggested a bit of exercise for muscle atrophy? - Alto, I cannot exercise, I couldn't even walk on my own most days. This is because the insomnia has been so bad. When you get no sleep for 4 weeks straight you can't move really :( I've been walking soo slowly like a 95 yr old woman to the bathroom. I can't work, muscles loss is happening because I physically cannot exercise. Does that make sense? This is truly awful. My mom is here taking care of me and I'm only 31. 

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted content for easier reading

• Administrator

I've experienced absolute insomnia myself, meg. Strongly recommend that you walk at least a half-hour each day, even if you walk like an old woman.

Did you experience morning sickness, and throw up the Paxil you've been taking? If so, the insomnia might be Paxil withdrawal. If you take it as a liquid, you can get around vomiting up your dose.

If you've been taking olanazapine for only 5 days, if I were you, I would stop it immediately. It's not doing anything helpful.

You may also be experiencing a paradoxical reaction from taking trazodone and Ambien together. Instead of helping you sleep, they are keeping you awake. Although neither is helping, quitting them might bring on withdrawal symptoms. They will need to be tapered.

During the day, you may also be experiencing rebound activation from Xanax wearing off. In 4 weeks, you can get physiologically dependent on Xanax. Eventually, you will need to taper off it.

Overall, you are stupidly overmedicated. If one doctor prescribed all these drugs, you need another doctor. If many doctors prescribed these drugs, they have not coordinated your care properly, or you have been begging them for drugs and you have not coordinated your care properly.

Ultimately, your insomnia might be because of your pregnancy, and resolve by itself as the pregnancy continues. You definitely need better medical care than you're getting.

As your problems are not related to withdrawal or tapering but possibly voluntary over-medication during pregnancy, we can't resolve them here. You need to find a doctor who understands paradoxical reactions and more is not better when it comes to sleep drugs.

Oh im so sorry Alto, isn't it the worst?! I am taking walks when I can. I actually just got back from one :) Trying to stare at teh sky and be outside as much as possible while I am in ''awake" mode. 30 minutes is what I have worked up to. 

I am no longer taking Trazodone. Just Ambien, Olanz, and Xanex. I know I will have to taper all of these at some point, but I am getting past this crisis mode. Luckily very little nausea at this stage of pregnancy. Ugh thsi is just the perfect storm. I have another psych appointment on Saturday to discuss all of these issues. The Olanz seems to help with the anxiety a bit, which has been super helpful trying to sleep and just surviving each day. 

THANK YOU so much for weighing in. I always appreciate your words of wisdom. 

Meg

• Administrator

If you truly have muscle wasting, no amount of olanzapine is going to help. If you have this and your doctors have not recommended exercise or physical therapy, they are idiots.

This is probably the source of your "anxiety", for which you are taking olanzapine while pregnant:

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

During the day, you may also be experiencing rebound activation from Xanax wearing off. In 4 weeks, you can get physiologically dependent on Xanax. Eventually, you will need to taper off it.

Most likely, you have normal pregnancy insomnia complicated by Xanax dependency. That is what your psychiatrist, who must be almost too stupid to breathe, is treating.

I am sorry you're in this situation. But this is a site to help people go off psychiatric drugs, not to fix every dumb thing people and their doctors do with psychiatric drugs. Very sorry, you and your doctors are going to have to sort this out without our help.

They are just trying to get me to sleep. That's what I need desperately more than anything. I will still post on here for diary needs, but y'all don't need to help me. I just wanted to vent and explain my situation...sorry

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Isn't it terrible!? Oh man, insomnia is the WORST. I'll take anything else but this. 

I've experienced absolute insomnia myself, meg. Strongly recommend that you walk at least a half-hour each day, even if you walk like an old woman.

Did you experience morning sickness, and throw up the Paxil you've been taking? If so, the insomnia might be Paxil withdrawal. If you take it as a liquid, you can get around vomiting up your dose.

If you've been taking olanazapine for only 5 days, if I were you, I would stop it immediately. It's not doing anything helpful.

You may also be experiencing a paradoxical reaction from taking trazodone and Ambien together. Instead of helping you sleep, they are keeping you awake. Although neither is helping, quitting them might bring on withdrawal symptoms. They will need to be tapered.

Overall, you are stupidly overmedicated. If one doctor prescribed all these drugs, you need another doctor. If many doctors prescribed these drugs, they have not coordinated your care properly, or you have been begging them for drugs and you have not coordinated your care properly.

Ultimately, your insomnia might be because of your pregnancy, and resolve by itself as the pregnancy continues. You definitely need better medical care than you're getting.

As your problems are not related to withdrawal or tapering but possibly voluntary over-medication during pregnancy, we can't resolve them here. You need to find a doctor who understands paradoxical reactions and more is not better when it comes to sleep drugs.

• Administrator

Yes, I get it, meg. What do you expect me to do about it?

Wow... didn't expect your reaction just there. Maybe I'm wrong and you're not being dismissive as it reads. I don't expect anything from you or anyone here, but it's so nice to know y'all are there and have been through tough things and made it out the other side. I was using this as a diary and sharing my current situation because it's so hard for me to remember things lately. I will try to wean off these drugs (already did Trazodone) in time soon as I can get stable. 

I don't know how I offended you but my sincerest apologies. 

• Administrator

meg, you've been a member since 2016. You were tapering Paxil. You were on one drug. Last June, you were doing well.

Now, months later, you're pregnant, you come back and you're on 4 drugs after trying several more. What do you want me to do? I don't have a magic formula to make you sleep. You are probably experiencing NORMAL first trimester insomnia. You should have talked to a smart OB-GYN about that.

As I explained, some of your symptoms probably are adverse reactions to Xanax. Your psychiatrist has got you dependent on it and is adding other drugs probably because he or she doesn't know about rebound anxiety from Xanax.

We're a bunch of volunteers. We have lives of our own (or wish we had). We are trying to fill the gap in medicine concerning tapering and withdrawal. It is impossible for us to compensate for every action of an incompetent psychiatrist. You will need to find a psychiatrist who understands 1) Xanax dependency; 2) the undesirability of polypharmacy in pregnant women -- because yours does not.

• Moderator Emeritus
13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

If you've been taking olanzapine for only 5 days, if I were you, I would stop it immediately. It's not doing anything helpful.

As Alto said - if olanzapine is not helping you sleep, you might as well stop it now when you've only been on it a few days, thereby avoiding having to taper it later.

I'm sorry you're having bad insomnia.  You might like to try daily relaxation exercises, which helped me enormously through a period of severe insomnia and anxiety.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• Moderator Emeritus
17 hours ago, megb said:

I will still post on here for diary needs, but y'all don't need to help me. I just wanted to vent and explain my situation...sorry

Meg, you need to find a doctor who is not a complete imbecile. You are drugged as much as someone labeled with paranoid schizophrenia. 

Here are some resources for you to check out for finding a better doctor: 

Mad in America Provider Directory

Recommended doctors, therapists, and clinics

You may also want to check with other SA members in your area to see if they know of a doctor in your area who is aware of the effects of psychiatric drug withdrawal:

Texas members, please check in here 

Some information on psychiatric drugs and pregnancy:

MiA - Free Course on Antidepressants & Pregnancy

Your case is really too complicated for an online forum. 

Please work closely with your doctor over the coming months. Seek out a doctor who is as informed as possible and also get an education yourself. 

Edited by Shep
Fixed typo

16 hours ago, Songbird said:

As Alto said - if olanzapine is not helping you sleep, you might as well stop it now when you've only been on it a few days, thereby avoiding having to taper it later.

I'm sorry you're having bad insomnia.  You might like to try daily relaxation exercises, which helped me enormously through a period of severe insomnia and anxiety.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Thank you for weigjting in Shep. As i said, this entry was for mainly me. I didn’t ask anyone’s advice but need to document. It’s obviously not welcome here. The no sleep, it’s been so severe and i made some bad choices BEFORE i knew i was pregnant. Insomnia brain had me panicked. My doc does understand and is going to wean me. 

I am plain terrified of never sleeping again. The anxiety is terrrible. I am not asking for y’all to stop your lives. Goodness i am pregnant and freaking out, i need to take baby steps now to get off these safely. I thought id get a little compassion from this community but it doesn’t seem so. 

I KNOW these drugs are awful and i need to get off and was put on too much. Please don’t PILE on the guilt. Im trying ti get back to my original dose of just paxil. It will take TIME.

And i am i doing everything non drug related to ease the panic and insomnia, i promise! Praying for me and baby to be okay :( :( :( I will not take olanz tonight 

Hey Meg,

My heart goes out to you.  I've made many mistakes with these meds because of insomnia and anxiety -  I understand the panic that sets in with both.  I hope you feel better soon.

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg

2 minutes ago, wantrelief said:

Hey Meg,

My heart goes out to you.  I've made many mistakes with these meds because of insomnia and anxiety -  I understand the panic that sets in with both.  I hope you feel better soon.

Want relief, omgsh THANK YOU for a little compassion and understanding. I really needed that. I am so sad and have no hope right now. Praying so much

Also, the sleep issues started way before i took any ither med besides paxil. It went bad overnight and sooo severe. I spent a week on only the paxil 6.2 and i was not sleeping. It was soon after that that i added the ambien to help get over the hump I thought was withdrawal. Now i realize iy was pregnancy related. How was i to know??

i added the xanex when i had panic attacks solid for days and nights on end. No doc put me on it, it was leftover from years past. I know that was a bad choice but i am here now and tryjng to survive each day. 

• Administrator

meg, your problems, particularly daytime anxiety, probably stem from your addiction to Xanax. You need help with that, you might try BenzoBuddies or an addiction clinic.

• 1 month later...

Meg, how are you doing?  I am thinking of you ...

PAST

Gabapentin:  about 6 months in 2015, 300-900 mg, cold turkeyed Sept 2015 (at same time dc'd Klonopin)

Klonopin: June 2014- Sept 2015; 1mg tapered over 6 mths, dc'd at 0.25mg, withdrawal hellish (perhaps because of concurrent dc of gabapentin)

Mirtazepine: Jumped off at 2.4 mg. (stable in 8 months).

Seroquel:  June 14 - July 24, 2016, 25 mg alternate nights; smaller doses for shorter periods. Total use about 3 months 

Lamictal: March 19, 2018 - 1 mg; March 23 - 1.25 mg; April 6 - 2mg. Discontinued at 2 mgJuly 1, 2018 due to Steven Johnson Syndrome.

CURRENT

Supplements: Vit D, turmeric

Naturethroid: 65 mcg for hypothyroidism

Trazodone: Oct 2015 - June 2016; 75 mg tapered over 2 mths, intense w/d after 3 weeks. Reinstatement: 07/25/16 - 25 mg; updosed 08/03/16 - 50 mg;  10/01/16-  62mg; 03/24/17 dropped to 50 mg (stable in 2.5 months)

Current psych meds: Trazodone 50 mg