SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TMS by Dr. Sarno

lavendertealatte

Is anyone well-versed in Dr. Sarno's take on tension myositis syndrome aka mindbody syndrome, and perhaps how it relates to all of this anxiety/depression stuff?

I used to be very into Dr. Sarno's methods, because I was able to heal myself of bad pain in my wrists years ago.  However, with regards to anxiety and depression, and overall health (I have problems with fatigue, random pains, etc), it has been harder to overcome.  I started on this medication stuff because I was desperate suffering from depression, but now that I'm trying to wean off, the anxiety surrounding my mood and how I'm going to be able to cope without meds is getting to me.

I've been exploring different food diets, but part of me gets more anxious when I do that.   So then I go back and think, is this all TMS and I should be treating it as emotional pain?   I feel confused.

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

Hey there,

I'm extremely familiar with TMS by way of my primary care physician, Dr. David Schechter (www.schechtermd.com) I had been seeing Dr. Schechter for a good four years for pretty serious neck and back pain, and after an MRI revealed that structurally I was sound, he introduced me to this. I bought his book and began understanding it. It's doesn't "remove" the pain necessarily but teaches you where the pain might be coming from if disease and structural damage has been ruled out. It's amazing. 

Relating to your issues, any kind of fad diet would easily cause anxiety. Whole foods and clean meats (grass-fed and/or organic, etc) are best, barring any health issues. What I've learned is that I now have a tool belt, and depending on what is happening I reach for something in particular. TMS and Dr. Schechter's book is one of those tools, and many times per week I think about it. I also meditate and exercise, and try to see friends at least once per week. I have a 2-yr old and a "complicated" relationship, so sometimes that's hard. I take a few supplements daily that help my mood and sleep at night as well as the AD. All combined they are great, except getting off the damn AD. I also see a therapist about once per month, just talk therapy. The TMS info doesn't do much for anxiety but it does alleviate physical pain I'm feeling which is one less thing to deal with. Best of luck!

Hey there, thanks for replying.   I have seen Dr. Schecter once as well!

29y.o.  Started Lexapro, 15mg in 2013 for anxiety and depression.

9/28/15- Started taper, went down to 10mg, then 5mg by 10/31/15. 

1/2016-  anxiety, nausea, fatigue, crying spells, sadness, by January. Reinstated back to 10mg.  Leveled out.   1/1/2018- Began further taper, down to 0mg by 1/31/2018.  Last dose was 2.5mg. Feelings of dizziness during taper recommended by pdoc.  Slowed down taper, but still had symptoms of stomach upset.

2/12/18 - Dealing with symptoms of dizziness, anxiety, sadness, stomach upset.  2/20/18 - Reinstating medication with .6mg.  2/21/18 - Emotionally feeling better.  Dizziness much improved.  2/24/18 - Went to sleep with extreme feeling of chills.  No fever.  Fatigue.  3/19/18 - Increased anxiety.  5/1/18- Began therapy.  Have trouble with anxiety and GI symptoms.  9/22/18 - Decrease to .5mg.  Anxiety, GI, chills.  9/26/18 - back up to .6mg.  10/31/18 - app Curable, feeling distinct change in outlook and anxiety levels decreased.

2/1/19 - not seeing improvement in anxiety.  started 10mg Prozac  2/7/19 - up to 20mg Prozac, experiencing chills, tiredness  2/21/19 - tapering down to 10mg

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy