SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

LexAdvice: In a weird spot following escitalopram reinstatement. Help?

LexAdvice

I've been feeling much better as my system has adjusted to the reinstated 5 mg and also as I've been whittling down the Seroquel over the past few nights (took 31.25 mg last night). I'm wondering if I should see if I can get down to half Seroquel (12.5 mg) to take before and during my trip? Or should I not rock the boat by sticking with 25 until after I get back? Thanks!

6/2015: 10 mg Lexapro generic + 100 mg Seroquel following episode of severe insomnia.

12/15 - 2/16: self-tapered Lexapro (no Dr. supervision) too rapidly: 3 weeks at 7.5 mg, 3 weeks at 5 mg, 3 weeks at 2.5 mg then off. NO W/D SYMPTOMS.

3/16 (about two weeks after final dose): bad insomnia again. Tried to hold out. Failed.

5/1/16: Saw psych. He said relapse and put me back on 5 mg Lex + 50 mg Seroquel to be reduced as Lexapro takes effect. I now believe it was only W/D. Dr. wanted me to updose, but after finding this site I decided to stabilize at 5 mg and start tapering at a later date.

Supplements: Magnesium citrate, fish oil, probiotics (from food not from pills)

Month of 7/16: Tapered off Seroquel: 1 week 20 mg, 1 week 15 mg, 1 week 10 mg, 1 week 5 mg. No problems sleeping throughout this process. Stopped Seroquel several days ago (7/21?) and sleep has been mostly good, some bad.

Reinstated 5 mg Seroquel 7/25 and stabilized my sleep.

9/1/16: Started tapering generic escitalopram liquid: 4.5 mg  :D

6/1/17: No longer taking seroquel for sleep. Escitalopram liquid down to .9 mg  :D

6/10/17: .8 mg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LexAdvice

• Shep

• Altostrata

• scallywag

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Whittling down to 12.5mg over the next 2 weeks sounds like a good idea. If you get symptoms, stop whittling. Please let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I can't thank you enough for all the support and advice! Do you think cutting the tablets as I've been doing is fine, or better to decrease by smaller increments with liquid?

6/2015: 10 mg Lexapro generic + 100 mg Seroquel following episode of severe insomnia.

12/15 - 2/16: self-tapered Lexapro (no Dr. supervision) too rapidly: 3 weeks at 7.5 mg, 3 weeks at 5 mg, 3 weeks at 2.5 mg then off. NO W/D SYMPTOMS.

3/16 (about two weeks after final dose): bad insomnia again. Tried to hold out. Failed.

5/1/16: Saw psych. He said relapse and put me back on 5 mg Lex + 50 mg Seroquel to be reduced as Lexapro takes effect. I now believe it was only W/D. Dr. wanted me to updose, but after finding this site I decided to stabilize at 5 mg and start tapering at a later date.

Month of 7/16: Tapered off Seroquel: 1 week 20 mg, 1 week 15 mg, 1 week 10 mg, 1 week 5 mg. No problems sleeping throughout this process. Stopped Seroquel several days ago (7/21?) and sleep has been mostly good, some bad.

6/1/17: No longer taking seroquel for sleep. Escitalopram liquid down to .9 mg  :D

I did a search but didn't see anything which surprised me! Looking for members who have been using CBT to help manage WD symptoms and/or post-healing anxiety management - if there's a topic can you point me to it? Thanks!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lex

The best way to search the site is to use a search engine and type in survivingantidepressants.org + CBT (topic)

Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) for anxiety, depression,...

Free online Cognitive Behavior Therapy lessons

I did an online mindfulness/CBT workshop 18 months ago and have found it very useful.  Recognising and understanding the physical/mental things and having the tools to reduce them is very helpful.  Claire Weekes is also good Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, LexAnger. How is your sleep now? Depending on your symptoms, you may wish to either keep cutting, hold, or switch to the liquid so you can better control the rest of your taper. 

You mentioned going out of town for a wedding on May 30 for a few days. Will you be able to maintain a liquid taper throughout your trip? And does your insomnia tend to get worse when you're on trips?

These are some of the kinds of questions to make note of regarding how to proceed. 

Hi Shep! Funny that you asked this today because last night was the first night I wasn't able to sleep since reinstating. I have only slowly been adjusting to going out with friends, etc since my episode of insomnia and last night I was arriving home late and worried the whole time about winding down, getting to sleep, etc - so of course that worked against me - I'm not surprised. I'm hoping it's just a blip, but it does make me reconsider continuing to cut before my trip - it might be wise to stay on the 25 mg I'm on now, then switch to a liquid taper when I get home? I usually sleep well during vacations because of all the stimulations/distractions, but my BF and I haven't been able to share a bed since this has been happening and we will during the trip, so that's a source of concern. What would your advice be?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hopefully others will chime in and give advice before your trip, but I would advocate for staying at 25 mg and then switch to the liquid after you get home. Some people do report symptoms when they go from pill form to liquid, and it would be very hard to distinguish any cross over symptoms from other symptoms caused by the various activities of your trip. 

And then once you return, you can buckle down and resume tapering. You sound like you're in a good place now. A very positive tone to your thread even though you had a bit of a rough night sleep wise. 

Hi Shep, thanks for weighing in! That will be my plan. I do tend to get very discouraged after a poor night's sleep and last night was pretty bad, but it helps to have this community to ping things off of. Plus, I'm heartened by the fact that I'm on low doses of these medications right now. My main problem at the moment is that I obsess about my sleep, thinking about it even when I'm out with friends, etc., and that works against me. I made an appointment with a CBT therapist for later in the month to work on this problem, so I hope she can be of some help to me.

I've been thinking about why I was so anxious coming home last night and I'm wondering if it has something to do with alcohol. I had half a cocktail and one beer when I was out last night and as I said felt my anxiety ramping up throughout the evening. On the other hand, the night before, I had one cocktail and one glass of wine and I didn't feel anxious at all coming home. I've gathered that alcohol is more or less a no-no during tapering, which I'm not doing yet, but since I'm still stabilizing on 5 mg Lexapro could it also pose a problem? what do people think?

Edited to add that during my rapid (failed) taper earlier this year, I drank throughout without noticing any effects whatsoever. But maybe my system is more sensitive now after going off the drugs and then having to go back on?

Hi there,

I posted this query on my intro thread but thought I'd plop it here to get more eyes on it. I recently reinstated 5 mg Lexapro (probably too high, oh well) after a failed too-rapid taper earlier this year. I was using the Lexapro to treat insomnia and that is also the only symptom I had after coming off it too fast. Since getting back on my sleep (assisted by a small dose of seroquel) has been better but I still have a lot of anxiety around bedtime. Last night I came home at 11 and was already nervous I wouldn't be able to sleep, and lo and behold I couldn't. Here's what I posted earlier; thanks for any thoughts!

I've been thinking about why I was so anxious coming home last night and I'm wondering if it has something to do with alcohol. I had half a cocktail and one beer when I was out last night and as I said felt my anxiety ramping up throughout the evening. On the other hand, the night before, I had one cocktail and one glass of wine and I didn't feel anxious at all coming home. I've gathered that alcohol is more or less a no-no during tapering, which I'm not doing yet, but since I'm still stabilizing on 5 mg Lexapro could it also pose a problem? what do people think?

Edited to add that during my rapid (failed) taper earlier this year, I drank throughout without noticing any effects whatsoever. But maybe my system is more sensitive now after going off the drugs and then having to go back on?

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you brought this up before your trip because it's a very important topic. Alcohol acts on the CNS, but like you just said, your system may be more sensitive now. 

Also, antidepressants can actually cause some people to "crave" more alcohol. I've seen this reported here on this forum and also on the benzo forums. Dr. Healy's blog has a really good article on that:

http://davidhealy.org/out-of-my-mind-driven-to-drink/

Due to the windows and waves phenomenon of withdrawal, it may be hard to tell the extent of damage due to even occasional drinking because it may cause a kind of ripple effect that may last for awhile. 

Just to be on the safe side, it may be best to avoid alcohol until you get off your meds and completely healed. 

Hi Shep,

Thanks for paying close attention to my thread - I truly appreciate your wisdom! So even though I'm not tapering now, it's still risky to imbibe? On the theory that I'm still in W/D from my failed taper earlier?

would there be a reason why some days it doesn't seem to affect me at all and some days it does?

• Moderator Emeritus

I've been thinking about why I was so anxious coming home last night and I'm wondering if it has something to do with alcohol. I had half a cocktail and one beer when I was out last night and as I said felt my anxiety ramping up throughout the evening. On the other hand, the night before, I had one cocktail and one glass of wine and I didn't feel anxious at all coming home. 

This post is a bit concerning, LexA. You state that you had no problem the first night, but by the second night, it sounds like your CNS was starting to feel the effects.

I would avoid alcohol even before beginning your taper. Alcohol does act on the CNS and you really need to nurture and protect your CNS right now and probably for a long time to come. 

There's a really interesting thread on the "kindling" effect:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6175-limbic-kindling-hardwiring-the-brain-for-hypersensitivity/

Basically, by adding alcohol into the mix, you are stressing out your CNS. Repeatedly stressing out your CNS - by coming off and on meds, using alcohol, etc - it adds to the hypersensitivity of the CNS and can make you more symptomatic. 

This may complicate your process down the line, as you won't know if this repeated stress on your CNS by alcohol caused the problem or if it's your medication. 

I stopped drinking 24 years ago and I've never had a problem at a social event simply saying "I don't drink" or "I'm on medication so I can't drink" and simply asking for a ginger ale. 

Best to err on the side of caution and look forward to that drug free life that's your future. 

I totally understand what you're saying. I'm a food and drink writer and I love a well-made cocktail, but I believe what you're saying is right and I plan to eliminate or at the very least cut down. Thanks for weighing in!

I can't drink at all now or I get bad WD symptoms. Anger, irritable, anxious.  That's what happened when I was about 5 months off of Paxil. I don't know how I'd react 9 months off, but I don't want to find out as I'm still having WD symptoms (anxiety).  I'm good staying away from alcohol for good now.

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

• Moderator Emeritus

Topics merged.  (former topic was "Does Drinking Stoke My Anxiety?")  Please do not start new topics until you are certain that the topic is not covered in SA>  This one is:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8717-alcohol-withdrawal-syndrome/

also, there is testimony here:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/919-six-mistakes-ive-made-in-withdrawal/

In the next posts I am merging into your thread, Chessie explains above how to do a search to find a topic in SA.  Unfortunately, the SA search engine is not as powerful as Google.  It becomes more efficient to use the site with Google search.  Enter Survivingantidepressants.org (space)

Like GOOGLE:  Survivingantidepressants.org Alcohol

this search phrase brought me to the first link above.

The short answer is yes.  Drinking alcohol hits on the same receptors as a benzodiazapene.  Even though alcohol is short acting, it can cause great upset in your withdrawal healing process.

Sorry.  But there are many of us who cannot drink at all.  There are a few who are able to go back to a social drink now and then - but after going through withdrawal, it seems to "burn out" the desire to be "drunk."

One of the phenomenons that happens on AD's is that they raise your tolerance for drink.  So - a light drinker can now drink like a fish with less effect.  It can cause alcoholism in extreme cases, because the person on AD's longs to FEEL something again, and keep drinking until they do.  On AD's, this could take quite a lot of drink.

Drinking is contraindicated for people on AD's, and people in withdrawal.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Topics Merged (from "Is there A CBT Topic?")

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi all,

Not feeling well at all either last night or today - feeling very strange when talking to people (dp/dr?) which is quite unusual for me and a lot of rumination about my sleeping problems and feeling fear. Is this a "wave" possibly set off by the drinking? I'm a little confused about how much of this terminology applies to me since I'm not tapering yet- just stabilizing after my too-rapid taper earlier this year -but feeling confused and concerned (when I was on the lexapro before at the full dose I didn't feel any of this). Thoughts? Thank you!

Also wanted to add that during my taper earlier this year, I didn't experience any symptoms at all even though I continued to drink, etc as normal. If what's going on now is a result of the WD, then how come I didn't feel anything during the actual taper?

I have also felt very weepy the whole evening - hopeless about my situation being trapped with these drugs and feeling like it will be forever before I come off them. Generally I am a very happy and upbeat person, meditate and do yoga, etc...crying is not my thing. I'm wondering if taking 5 mg lexapro is too much for me. It's not normal for me to feel so upset, there is not much wrong other than the whole medication thing which I am doing my best to understand and work through...or could this all have been induced by the alcohol?

I wish I had found this site before I reinstated so I could have tried 2.5 mg instead of 5...but I've been on 5 mg for two weeks now and I'm concerned it's too late to switch over :(

Bump

Is anybody out there?

I'm in a really bad place. In spite of being EXHAUSTED last night I couldn't fall asleep until who knows when (3?) and was awoken by the street sweeper at 7 and couldn't get back to sleep because of mounting anxiety that propelled me out of bed.

I'm taking these drugs to help me sleep and they're not even doing that so why am I on them? My emotions are all over the place, something that is very unusual for me; again I was put on these drugs to help with sleep, not anxiety or depression. On Sunday night I was sobbing due to who knows what but mostly the "trap" I'm in with these drugs.

It's affecting my relationships. Last night I was arriving home by 9 - not very late - and I wanted to go see my boyfriend who lives only 3 blocks away, but I was too tired. He's disappointed (though incredibly supportive) and when we talked on the phone about why I couldn't come I started to cry. On Sunday night I slept very well, so I don't understand why I get so tired so early in the evening. I'm 30 years old, I should be able to go out in the evening and not come home exhausted yet unable to sleep.

I feel trapped because I'm scared to talk to my psych or even my family. I know they'll tell me to updose to 10 mg Lexapro. The thing is, it's tempting because I felt great when I was at that dose last time. High spirits, high energy and able to sleep at night without the seroquel. I think what this community is saying about the drugs is right but I also can't deny that they did help me before. Pretty much the only thing keeping me from going back to that dose is the knowledge of how many years it would take me to taper off.

What do I do? I feel like reinstating at 5 mg was too high, it's too activating and it's making me feel crazy. But since I've been on that dose for more than two weeks now I feel like I can't go down. I don't necessarily want to take more seroquel because I already feel so tired by the end of the day.

I'm stuck and scared, especially with my trip looming. Today is the 17 and I leave on the 30th. I'm terrified I'll have to cancel and my boyfriend will be devastated. It would be a huge blow to our relationship, he's looking forward to it so much. I keep thinking if I stay the course at 5 mg Lex and 25 mg seroquel my CNS will settle down, start humming like a machine. I'm afraid to make changes so close to the trip but it seems something isn't right.

Do I adjust my supplements? I take 500 mg magnesium in the morning and I rub my feet with magnesium oil at night. I only take one 500 EPA/250 DHA fish oil in the morning. Should I up that to two, three, four pills? Could that help calm me down? Someone please help. Thank you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, LexA. I got your PM, but I'm at work, so I'm going to ask the next available mod to look over your meds and see what they advise.

Try not to panic because that feeds into this. I know that's hard when you can't sleep. I do think you're having a reaction to the alcohol use, so let this be a reminder that you are going to really have to put your health and withdrawal needs above everything else right now, as hard as that is when you have so many obligations. 

Take a read over the Symptoms & Self Care section. There are some great ways of handling anxiety and insomnia. They may not work at first for overriding the severity of symptoms, but in time, they will be a great asset.

Also, distraction is key to getting through withdrawal. Instead of concentrating on your symptoms, try reading, watching a movie, going for a walk, playing a video game, etc. I did this over and over again until it became a habit. Eventually, I made "distraction" a coping skill. And it's made my withdrawal time pass so much easier without me needing to really pay too much attention to the drama of my own thoughts. This is all withdrawal speaking. It's best not to listen. Distraction is a great coping skill. 

Hang in there. 

Hi Shep,

I appreciate you responding even though you're at work. I feel so lost. The main thing that's scary for me is the extreme emotion. I feel so sad and despondent, that is not at all like me. If this was brought on by the alcohol I will have no trouble avoiding it trust me.

For any mods responding to my post I'd be most interested to hear what opinions on are my current dosages, I feel like the Lexapro is too high a dose but I'm scared to mess around with anything so close to my trip. I had planned to hold at 5 mg until August 1 (my next pdoc appt), but maybe I could try to go down some when I get back from my trip? Also interested to hear if changing my supplements could help.

I wonder sometimes if I was really in withdrawal. It's true my taper was very fast according to this site, but I didn't feel ANY adverse symptoms at any stage, and was only hit with insomnia about two weeks after I was off completely. I didn't have any other W/D symptoms. Since I've had insomnia on and off since I was 17, it really could have just been a recurrence and not a W/D...

Thank you so much to everyone, this forum is invaluable.

Lex. What are your symptoms? Why do you feel it is activating ?  It's likely not the supplements. While they are helpful , they will not change your symptoms.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG,

My symptoms are extreme emotions (sadness, crying - very unlike me)

- High anxiety (woke up early today and couldn't settle down again because of anxiety)

- Fatigue

- Insomnia

- Fear, rumination

Lex.    That sounds normal , around here . :)  I'm not meaning to make light of your symptoms, it's just that at this point in time , that is to be expected.   I would stay the same , and not risk any dose changes at this time. If you feel 5mg is too high , then 10mg is going to be way too much, even though you say you felt good . Some of these symptoms can be helped through self - care measures , like deep breathing, yoga and meditation.

Have you read through " Symptoms & Self - Care " ?

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thanks Ali G, I'm an avid yogi and I meditate almost every day, so I'm familiar with self-care. I have an appt. with a CBT therapist for next week, too, to try to help me avoid fixating on my problems so much. I forgot to mention, I woke up drenched with sweat several times last night, is that a result of readjusting to Lexapro or what?

Lex.   It could be . That's a symptom. After reading a bit more of your thread , I think you should stay as you are . You still have just shy of 2 weeks before your trip . That is a lot of stabilizing time. You will hopefully be feeling a little better, but even if you're not , your symptoms are not unmanageable. You said your sleep was improving .

Have you looked at the sleep threads ?

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have withdrawal insomnia

Ali

Hi Ali,

My sleep immediately got better when I reinstated but it's been spotty over the past several days along with an uptick in anxiety. I just started my period, do you think the flareup could be related? I also drank on Thursday and Friday, which Shep thinks could have also led to some of these symptoms.

It's good to hear that you think 2 weeks is a lot of stabilizing time. It seems just around the corner but I hope you're right and that I'll settle down some before then. Thanks for responding!

• Administrator

Yes, it could definitely be related to your menstrual cycle.

Drinking alcohol can also throw a spanner into the works.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

What is your daily symptom pattern, with timing of the symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages? Please keep notes on paper.

Do you keep to a regular bed time?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi AltroStrata,

I take 5 mg Lexapro in the am at breakfast and 25 mg seroquel a half hour before bed. I try as best as I can to keep to a regular bed time but I have been so tired in the evenings (even when I sleep) that it's hard not to get into bed early.

When I started these drugs last year the only symptoms I had were insomnia (after trying MANY natural methods to correct it, I know them all) and panic associated with the insomnia. The Lexapro did work and I was able to come off the seroquel totally. I think if I hadn't messed up my taper I would have been fine.

Over the past few days, I've had a recurrence of insomnia and a huge uptick in weepiness and sadness.

I honestly don't know what to do, my friends and family all think I should go back to 10mg Lexapro given how well it worked for me last time.

Any thoughts appreciated. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi LexAdvice,

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time at the moment. I agree with what others have written, give it a bit more time before making any more changes. Your nervous system is under a lot of stress at the moment, trying to restabilize after your too fast taper and then reinstatement. Add in  alcohol, monthly cycle and anxious thinking about it all, its no wonder your poor nervous system is having a difficult time.

I'm sure everything will settle back down soon, if you stop worrying and implement some extreme self care for a few days.

What is your daily symptom pattern, with timing of the symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages? Please keep notes on paper.

Here is an example post of the kinds of notes we need to see, to possibly detect if you're having an adverse reaction to any of your drugs.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10970-christian-reinstatement-question/page-7#entry207240

I'm a bit confused about your recent history Lex. In your signature you have that you reinstated 4/16, which was about a month ago. But a few posts up you wrote:

... I've been on 5 mg for two weeks now and I'm concerned it's too late to switch over

Please would you clarify when you reinstated 5mg of lexapro.

Also, are you now taking 50mg or 25mg of Seroquel? If you have dropped down to 25mg, please would you add that and the date to your signature. We need an accurate timeline of recent changes so we can get the best understanding of what might be going on and advise accordingly.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petunia for the words and support. I will update my sig to reflect recent changes. I saw my pdoc on the last day of April and reinstated 5 mg Lexapro and 50 mg seroquel on May 1. I was doing fine and so I dropped down to 25 mg seroquel which I am on now. 

I slept better last night so I am inclined to stay at these current dosages for a while before making any changes. Of course it doesn't help that I spoke with my family yesterday who urged me to go back on 10 mg and I emailed my pdoc and I am sure he will say the same thing. But I'll just tell him I need a little more time to decide.

I appreciate everyone's words of support! Thank you!