SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ O2bhappy: 9 months off Prozac - does it get any better?

O2bhappy

" I could sit for an hour and have no real thoughts in my head."

Zen masters train for years to reach this point. It is the key to Mindfulness and being in the moment. It opens ones mind to experience the things  that are happening now and not being stuck dwelling on uncontrollable things from the past or the future.  A still mind is the gateway to inner calm and contentment.  Explore it, experience it and learn to control it.

It would be wonderful if that was what I was feeling.  I think my spaced out feeling is more of brain fog.  I don't feel present at all in the moment.   It almost feels like a cognitive impairment, like my brain is not engaged with the rest of my body.  It is really frustrating.  I don't know what to do to help myself.  

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

ShakeyJerr -

Thank you for the prayers.  If you could keep me in them, I would greatly appreciate it.

You mentioned in the prayer thread about Claire Weeks.  I have seen post about her in this forum.  I will go on you tube and watch the videos.  I am working on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and that deals with "allowing" the feelings of anxiety and panic.  Some days are certainly easier to allow these feelings then others.  I think I am in a wave and allowing hasn't come easy to me.

Hi:

I was going to see how you're doing, but read your post.

I'll give you a HUGE prayer and some (((HUGS)))

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone noticed that their anxiety is worse when they are hot?  I am noticing that now that the temperatures are getting hot that my anxiety seems much worse.  I am very anxious, shaky and almost feel like I am going to pass out.  Of course all those feelings are really scaring me.  I am doing my best to allow these feelings and sensations, but it isn't helping.  

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

yes,I feel much worse when it's hot,especially when it's humid ,too...that's the worst!

I get the paresthesia,too.... ,feels awful.

WD is affected by the weather,try and keep cool.....stay in the AC.

xo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

direstraits -

Why does withdrawal get worse with the hot weather?  

I would think anything that puts more stress on the body would be bad in WD.

and many of us are already dealing with temp. dysregulation already..

hang in there, it will get better....xo

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

On 2017-6-1 at 1:39 AM, O2bhappy said:

It would be wonderful if that was what I was feeling.  I think my spaced out feeling is more of brain fog.  I don't feel present at all in the moment.   It almost feels like a cognitive impairment, like my brain is not engaged with the rest of my body.  It is really frustrating.  I don't know what to do to help myself.  

You should practice presence. Catch it when a thought pops up. Is the thought yours or did it show up automatically? If it’s not yours then unplug the machine. How? Feel your emotions instead of resisting them and distracting yourself by mechanical thinking.

Feeling your emotions is practicing presence. The emotion is there anyway, you can’t deny that.

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg

direstraits -

That makes sense.  Heat and humidity do stress the body, so I could see how that would make w/d worse.  It's just frustrating. 

miT -

I have been "trying" to practice presences and allowing these feelings.  Some days are certainly easier then others to allow these feelings.  It is hard for me to be presence with the brain fog.  It is just there and nothing I do seems to help it. 

I try and do the same with the anxiety that I am experiencing.  Some days I can just let the anxiety be and other days I just wish it would go away.   

I have never had a true window.  I have had periods when my w/d symptoms haven't been as bad, but I have never been symptom free in the almost 22 months that I have been off Prozac.  I think I must be in a wave again because my symptoms seem to be worse.  I am having all sorts of weird tingling in my face, my anxiety is bad, the shakiness continues, I have been feeling nauseous the past couple of days.  I am having feelings of fear and dread again.  I am having a hard time concentrating on anything that I am doing. 

It is so frustrating.  There are times when I come to grips with the withdrawal and other times it beats me down.  Right now I feel beat down by it.

Any suggestions, words of encouragement would be appreciated!!! 

Im sorry you are feeling bad again. I hope you feel better soon.

I'm still trying to recover from my trip.

Take care. :)

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

56 minutes ago, O2bhappy said:

direstraits -

That makes sense.  Heat and humidity do stress the body, so I could see how that would make w/d worse.  It's just frustrating. 

Hydration is key for normal everyday living, and especially so for recovering from ADWS. It's important to think in terms of pre-hydration and staying hydrated when heat and humidity are present. Re-hydration is not a good strategy. So drink up! (Water, that is.)

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

ShakeyJerr -

Thank you for the reminder about the importance of staying hydrated.  I will work on drinking more water. 

I have realized that another reason I think the heat bothers me so much is that it is a reminder of all the bad summers that I have had over the past several years.  It is like if you eat a fish sandwich and hours later you get sick.  The fish sandwich probably didn't cause you to get sick, but you still blame the fish sandwich and therefore in the future are probably hesitate about eating a fish sandwich.  My summers have been bad since 2013 and everything I smell the AC, or feel humidity or get hot, it brings me back to all those bad summers.  I am trying to not associate the two, but it is hard.  I think that could be another reason my anxiety is worse in the summer.  

• Mentor

so sorry you have negative associations with summers, I so get that!
I have always disliked the heat and so summers are never my favorite time but now, thanks to WD, part of the winter (this past one) was pretty bad, so when I think about next winter, I start to panic.

there's gotta be a way to turn those triggers around, and in fact I have a book that suggests ways to do it, but some times It seems to be too hard (esp when dealing with WD- the book was written for 'non impaired' readers)

it's called Hardwiring Happiness

very good book , but so full of info I need to re read it often.

I hope you can find ways to stay cool and ways to make "friends' with something you dislike.
I'm working hard on doing that myself. I truly dislike waking up at 4 am, but I am trying to change that. I don't know how you make yourself like something that you don't........... but I know that I'd feel a lot better If i found a way to not be so angry and upset when I wake up earlier than I want to.

I am working on finding ways to like the summer, even though it's never been my favorite time of year

I got a new A/C, that makes it more bearable, but the noise of the A/C, actually just the fact of having to turn it on, reminds me of the heat and how much I don't like it.

Maybe we can try to recall summers from our childhood, or some previous time in our lives when we enjoyed this time of year, and use that to help us....?
I had a lot of fun with my daughter as she was growing up, setting up a little pool for her and taking her to the beach and the like.

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Happy2Heal -

I am sorry that you also deal with the bad memories of summer and the association that goes along with it.  I agree that their has to be a way to turn those triggers around, and that is exactly what they are...triggers.  

Thank you very much for your book suggestion.  I am going to get it.  

I have read so much about "allowing" your feelings/emotions to help you through withdrawal.  But how do you allow a memory?  Something that happened?  If you can find a way to like something that you don't, let me know.  I hate dealing with anxiety and have a hard time allowing all the feelings associated with it.  

I do think about the joy of my childhood summer  and I think that makes it hard because I would love to go back that time.  Being carefree would be wonderful.  I felt very carefree on Prozac and since I have been off of it that carefree feeling is gone.  Well, maybe it wasn't being carefree...maybe it was just being numb.  

Hey:

I know how hard summers are for you. Wish there was a magic wand we could wave and everything would be good for all of us.

Memories are the worst. I gave a lot of summer memories. Ones I want to keep, ones I wish would go away. 

Maybe someday, they will get better for us. Keep your chin up.

Take care,

Frogie

There is an EFT technique called Tapping that might help control those bad memories.

https://www.emofree.com/eft-tutorial/tapping-basics/how-to-do-eft.html

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Have you ever considered reinstating? Or trying a different AD? Seems you have been struggling for quite some time with getting to where you want to be off meds, maybe you need to be on something for a while to help you get back to enjoying life.

2008 - October 28th, 2016: Zoloft 50 - 150 mgs, settled on 50mgs from 2011 - 2016.
January 23rd - March 1st 2017: Zoloft 50mgs, direct switch to Lexapro.
March 1st - May 1st 2017: Lexapro 10 mgs, down to 5mgs for a week, then off.
June 1st - July 31st 2017: Paxil 20mgs, Lyrica 600mgs
August 1st - September 30th 2017: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
October 1st  - November 12th 2017: Paxil 60mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs
November 12th, 2017 - September 4th 2018: Paxil 40mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs 

September 4th - September 27th: Paxil 30mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

September 28th - November 7th: Paxil 20mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs (Also Testosterone Therapy started in June 2018 and ended in November 2018)

November 7th 2018 - February 22nd 2019: Paxil 10mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs

February 22nd 2019 - April 17th: Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin 1mgs

April 17th - Now: Zoloft 25mgs, Zyprexa 2.5mgs, Klonopin .5mgs

On 19/06/2017 at 2:56 AM, O2bhappy said:

Has anyone noticed that their anxiety is worse when they are hot?  I am noticing that now that the temperatures are getting hot that my anxiety seems much worse.  I am very anxious, shaky and almost feel like I am going to pass out.  Of course all those feelings are really scaring me.  I am doing my best to allow these feelings and sensations, but it isn't helping.  

Just quickly, as I have been reading posts on my phone, but not been on the site as I am so crap, but I wanted to relate to your question here and say that Yes, my anxiety was worse in the summer/heat along with the leg pain and burning.  A couple of times I had to drop to the fall, as I felt like I was going to collapse.  It helped to drape wet towels around my shoulders and to put my feet in an ice bucket of water several times a day. 

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• Mentor
19 hours ago, O2bhappy said:

I have read so much about "allowing" your feelings/emotions to help you through withdrawal.  But how do you allow a memory?  Something that happened?  If you can find a way to like something that you don't, let me know.  I hate dealing with anxiety and have a hard time allowing all the feelings associated with it.  

I do think about the joy of my childhood summer  and I think that makes it hard because I would love to go back that time.  Being carefree would be wonderful.  I felt very carefree on Prozac and since I have been off of it that carefree feeling is gone.  Well, maybe it wasn't being carefree...maybe it was just being numb.  

yes I am working hard to figure out how to like something that I don't like. I *think* it may come down more to accepting what we can't change, and then, perhaps, re-framing things??

I honestly don't know. I am trying to find answers in therapy but the therapist has cancelled 2 of the last 3 sessions, which is frustrating to say the least.

I, too, remember feeling carefree on the drug. But I don't know if i am truly remembering things the way they were. I was more unaware of the rest of the world, just had this sort of tunnel vision and could only see the most immediate things that affected me personally. I just felt safe and protected, or so it seems now. Maybe it was just the fog of being over medicated.

but the thing is, we can't go back to that, as much as we may long to on the bad days.

so we gotta find a way to make the days we have now better in some way.

I feel like this is something we can do, we can learn to adjust to this and make it bearable but for now, I don't have the answers. I so wish I did.

I'm going to look into that tapping that Brassmonkey linked to, above, I had started to use it months ago, but then read something that about it maybe be counter productive, I don't know. I'll have to check it out again. :/

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Mentor

hi hon

here's a link to a TED talk by the author of the book Hardwiring Happiness

I agree, it's extremely hard to make ourselves like something that we don't...

so maybe the trick is to try to find something else, aside from those things that are bothering us, that IS good, and focus on that...?
I don't know, just tossing ideas out there.

((((hugs))))

Just wanted to stop by and say hi, and see how you're feeling?

Hopefully better. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie -

Thank you for checking in on me and thank you for the encouragement.  I am trying very hard taking one day at a time.  I know that is all we can do.  I am also trying to thinking about happy memories of my past summers and not focus on all the negatives one, but that is hard for me.  My mind also goes towards the negative.  

I agree, I wish there was a magic wand to make us all feel better.  

brassmonkey -

Thank you very much for sharing the EFT techniques.  I have heard of it on this forum, but haven't read any of the techniques.  I am going to spend sometime reading about it.  

Have you used these techniques?

Utah49er -

Reinstating probably wouldn't work for me since I have been off Prozac almost two years.  Plus I had Prozac poop out.  I have thought about trying a different AD, but those thoughts usually happen when I am feeling really down.  I am very sensitive to medicine so I think any AD would be bad for me.  I have been struggling for almost two years and I would love to get back to feeling 100% and not have these weird symptoms.  

grandmaD -

I am sorry to hear that your anxiety was worse in the summer, but glad to know that I am not the only one.  When I do get hot I am working on allowing the feeling of being hot and trying not to freak out about it.  I know if I am hot that most people around me are probably hot too and it is just part of dealing with summer.  It just frustrates me that it affects my anxiety so much.  

Happy2Heal -

I am having a hard time accepting what I can't change.  What I have observed is that I accepted that I have hypothyroidism and that I have to take medicine the rest of my life, and I know that I have symptoms from having an under active thyroid.  What I haven't accepted is the fact that I have to deal with anxiety.  I know most people get anxious about something, but it is the constant anxiety that really bothers me.  It is very frustrating.  I just want to be able to walk in a store and enjoy myself and not have to talk myself through it, yes I know things can be worse.  I am just reaching my braking point with the constant anxiety.  

I am sorry to hear that your therapist has cancelled your appointments.  If you do find something out about allowing memories, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.  

I agree we can't go back to being carefree on the medicine.  I know looking back and wishing I still felt carefree isn't helpful.  It was just easier being carefree, but I know that isn't true life or living.  

Thank you for sharing the Ted talk.  I am going to take time and listen to it.  

I agree it would be better to focus on something positive and perhaps that alone with help us.  I probably need to work harder on being productive and keeping busy and keeping my mind off all the w/d symptoms.  

20 minutes ago, O2bhappy said:

Frogie -

Thank you for checking in on me and thank you for the encouragement.  I am trying very hard taking one day at a time.  I know that is all we can do.  I am also trying to thinking about happy memories of my past summers and not focus on all the negatives one, but that is hard for me.  My mind also goes towards the negative.  

I agree, I wish there was a magic wand to make us all feel better.  

I know you've had really rough Summer's for quite a while. I just hope this one is a little easier on you this time. How's your dad? Hope he is better.

The last 2 days I've woken up with a tiny bit of nausea, but it goes away in 10 minutes at the most, so I'm ignoring it.

Keep your chin up. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi O2bhappy

approaching summer heat in wd for me, means I am usually wondering if I can even survive another summer.  I live in a 3 rd story apt and can't afford to run my AC and with my poor sleep/fatigue issues, the heat just makes me absolutely miserable with anxiety.  I have a glass patio door for my porch and the sun beats in after 2 pm and turns my apt into a sauna.   luckily, we have had a stretch of fall like weather the past week in Minnesota.  I used to be able to manage the heat just fine  when I used to be able to sleep, now it's a different story.  I do better outside, but sitting in my apt during the summer is brutal now.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hi 02be happy.

i have been off Prozac over 3.5 years and I like you still struggle encourmously every day. I have an occasional day when things are more manageable but I have not had one day in all this time I have felt well or been symptom free. I have decided to try a tiny reinstatement. I have growing more elderly parents and young children and I need to try my best to be well. I have given my brain almost 4 years to show me some kind of recovery and it has not happened. I'm very anxious as I still have extreme hyper alerting symptoms such as insomnia anxiety, panic and cortisol rushes. 

I relate to all your issues and I hope you can find some relief we are all different so relief could be close for you. We are victims of a pharmaceutical era and I genuinely believe that in 50 years time people will look back and shake there heads and the way we were treated.  

Prozac 17 years 20mg.

Cold turkey Feb 2014

Restarted 2mg of prozac 26.8.18..

PJ-- have you tried tacking a sheet or some dark plastic about a foot outside of your patio door?  We have some bamboo shades on the east and west windows and they work wonders on taking the edge off the heat.  But they have to be on the outside.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

32 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

PJ-- have you tried tacking a sheet or some dark plastic about a foot outside of your patio door?  We have some bamboo shades on the east and west windows and they work wonders on taking the edge off the heat.  But they have to be on the outside.

hey monkey,

thanks for the tip.  i'll look into it.  right now, I just have the usual apt blinds on my patio door and when it get's hot I feel like I am cooked alive. plus I am usually on 2-4 hours of sleep a night still. 

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Getting the blinds on the outside is the trick.  The air gap makes it so the glass doesn't heat up so it cant radiate into the apartment.  If you can keep the apartment cooler it might help with the sleep later in the evening.

PoetJester -

I hope that we can both beat the heat this summer and not have to deal with worse anxiety.  We have also had some cool weather recently and that has helped, but I know the heat and humidity are right around the corner.   

Eleven10 -

I am so sorry that you have suffered for so long.  Have you reinstated yet?  How much are you going to reinstate?  I don't think reinstated is an option for me for several reasons. I developed Prozac poop out and I was developing more and more side effects being on the medicine.  I use to get constant headache, now I might get one headache a month.  Also the manufacturer of the generic I took no longer makes the 10 mg tablet I was taking and when I tried a different manufacture my body didn't handle it at all.  Please let me know how you do on your reinstatement.  It isn't fun/fair that we suffer so much from taking something our doctor prescribed.  Knowing that you are still suffering at 3 1/2 years honestly scares me.  Today marks 22 months since I have been off.  Am I still going to improve?

22 MONTHS...Yes, I have now been off Prozac for 22 months.

I am still dealing with withdrawal symptoms, but not like I did when I first stopped taking it.  Physically I feel much better. My stomach is better. I still get a little nausea but nothing like I did before.  My internal shaking has gotten better.  Of course if I drink anything with caffeine in it I start shaking. I still have the smell hallucinations, but they are no longer constant.  I still have the hot flashes and night sweats, but they could also be from menopause.  

Now as far as the DP/DR, crying, anxiety, depression and scared feelings...I still have it all.  I also have some other w/d symptoms that are hard to explain.  Maybe what I am experiencing that is hard to explain is part of the DP/DR.  This past weekend I went out of town.  While driving it seemed like my brain had a hard time connecting with the new environment I was seeing.  It was weird.  It didn't happen on roads that I had been on before.  This happened on roads that I had never been on.  Even when we got to our destination my mind couldn't really engage and be present where I was at.  It scared me and upset me because this had never happened to me. It made it very hard to enjoy my trip. Was that part of w/d?  Has anyone else experienced anything similar?