aries19835

Which antipsychotic medication is easiest to taper off?

aries19835

I am currently on seroquel 175 mg, is it possible to taper off it? Also which drug atypical and typical antipsychotic is easiest to taper off? Any answer will be appreciated, thank you.

SquirrellyGirl

I don't have the answer to the second question as I am not familiar with antipsychotics, but I do know it is possible to taper off of Seroquel and there are people on SA doing so.  What would be best is for you to start an Intro topic for yourself aries19835 since you haven't yet.  You will get more attention drawn to your situation in Intros and can keep track of your journey there.  Please see the stickies at the top of the forum:

Introductions and updates

Maybe someone will answer your question about which is easier, but if you are thinking of switching to another one because it might be easier, it's not so simple as that.  It is better the he devil you know than the one you don't!

SG

tyson

Hi, aries, I'm only had few experience with my family member about antipsychotic meds. We have tried seroquel, abilify, zyprexa. What the doc. do is they sometime start small,which means it does block 80% dopmine or seratonine from their regular function. Also, you talking about the old and the new drugs when you say typical and atypical. I would say there is no that much difference except the old ones were blamed for more side effect. which is not true in my opinion. Since the new ones have the same or even worse. In addition, you asked about possibility of tapering. Any one is capable of tapering if you learn and ask in this form and fellow the advice of those people who went through it. I'm following the 10% on each reduction and s.time smaller. you fellow their steps, you will get out of these evil meds. 

good luck. 

AutumnRose

It is 100% possible to taper off Seroquel. I did it a couple years ago. My dose was extremely high (1200mg-I'm not kidding). You will experience some withdrawals but remember it's only temporary. It took me a few months to be free of Seroquel but I have fully recovered. 

Altostrata

None of them is easiest to taper. All can be tapered.

tyson

My son is taking anti psychotic medication, zyprexa. he is on 0.6 mg. 

does anyone know if it's ok to take antibotic med. while on zyprexa? or should we wait. he is not sick or anything. but he

some times gets stomach flue and we are afraid of the mix. 

Any body have any advice. since the doctors don't have any idea, I trust this group here. 

mammaP

Hi Tyson, antibiotics would not be effective against flu because it is generally a viral infection. I would take a good pro biotic to balance the gut's natural bacteria that is essential for gut health.   

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1229-probiotics-and-gut-health/?view=findpost&p=26917&hl=diet

It would be good if you could start an introduction for yourself and your son, so we can get to know you and you can ask questions there. They can be easily missed among the many posts here. 

AwareButStruggling

I think that Seroquel would be easier to taper in your situation since the dose you are on isn't huge. Seroquel in lower doses (< 300mg) tends to act more as an antiistamine blocker, and is very sedating. It's really when you get to around 300mg that it becomes and adrenaline blocker, and it's around 500mg that it exhibits the antipsychotic properties. These are rough estimates, though, so it may vary from a person to person. 

I don't know anything about Abilify's mechanism of action, but I know that Zyprexa works as an antipsychotic in much smaller doses, and its taper may need to be very slow and gradual. 

Technically, I am more concerned about Abilify and Zyprexa in your case, and tapering those succesfully. Atypical antipsychotics like Zyprexa and Abilify, can generally be harder to taper than typical antipsychotics like Seroquel. 

Mind you, these are not personal experiences of mine, so please take it with a grain of salt. However, I spent some time looking at the mechanism of action for Seroquel and Zyprexa. Abilify is a bit enigmatic in terms of how it works.

If i were you, I'd study up on all three and get very familiar about their mechanism of action. Usually the wikipedia pages are a good start

So, this is the catch. While you may be able to taper off Seroquel more easily than the other 2, losing the sedating qualities of Seroquel, may make you more agitated and may make it harder to taper off Zyprexa and Abilify. i think the order you do it in may be more important than how easy it would be to taper each of them individually. And honestly, I don't know what that order would be for you......

*** I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice ****