SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ CJAJ16: So scared and lost - Escitalopram withdrawal

CJAJ16

Generally I got the impression that the windows start to become longer. The waves are still different all the time

for me at least. Sometimes I feel panicky and unreal, sometimes I feel very sensitive with noise and light, sometimes I feel really depressed..but somehow it's never everything at once (thank god:D) I also got the impression that intense stress can trigger a wave really quickly. generally I am still very very sensitive to ANY stress... and by any I mean it does not matter if it's positive or negative stress. Being really happy to meeting someone I have not seen in a long time can cause panic, sleep troubles, sadness,... it's really weird (and mostly annoying of course) but with the time (if you're able to be nice to yourself) you will be more understanding of the situation and be more kind to yourself and your "hurt" nervous system.

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

Hi CJ.

Can waves and windows last weeks not just days? Reading the thread on this topic ppl talk about it in terms of days.

For ppl that stuck with remaining off the SSRI how long until the waves stop?? Or how long until the waves got shorter and easier??

I have found that windows and waves can last many months and as you start to heal that is the pattern, for myself at least and many others here. I have just had a wave seemingly strike out of the blue after almost 6 months in a lovely window that I thought was permanent.

I had been "cycling " in and out of waves & windows quite extensively as I headed towards healing. I think it was almost weekly at one point but then became monthly.

My pattern overall has been longer windows and less waves until you are in a seemingly permanent window. I was surprised with this last one as I thought I was " over it all "  but it has a habit of rearing it's head and knocking you sideways all over again. Oh, the joy. Sigh ...

I have found it to be an overall upward trajectory, with steps forward and back along the way. The windows get longer and the waves much shorter. 

That is at least how it's been for me.

I would agree that " extra " stress can set off a wave. Something to watch out for but not necessarily avoidable. Life happens ! :huh:

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Generally I got the impression that the windows start to become longer. The waves are still different all the time

for me at least. Sometimes I feel panicky and unreal, sometimes I feel very sensitive with noise and light, sometimes I feel really depressed..but somehow it's never everything at once (thank god:D) I also got the impression that intense stress can trigger a wave really quickly. generally I am still very very sensitive to ANY stress... and by any I mean it does not matter if it's positive or negative stress. Being really happy to meeting someone I have not seen in a long time can cause panic, sleep troubles, sadness,... it's really weird (and mostly annoying of course) but with the time (if you're able to be nice to yourself) you will be more understanding of the situation and be more kind to yourself and your "hurt" nervous system.

Hi Pepita,

This is absolutely true for me as well - positive and negative stress can trigger a wave.

I remember before meeting up with some friends we hadn't seen for a while, I was experiencing adrenaline rushes through my body and heavy legs similar to a hypoglycaemic event. It was very strange.

My usual attitude these days is to dread social events as my life is not what it was, and I can't hold down a regular job. I also find being social very hard work and get tired out very quickly.....just want to be in bed really. When we go away to, say a party over a weekend and have to stay somewhere, I will make sure the guest house is close to the friend's house so I can go off to bed.

Still, I have experienced a long window, but am currently going through a series of shorter waves.

Will have to see which way the tide turns.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Jungle Chicken,

when I am in waves I as well try to avoid exciting social events at any costs! Just meeting my closest friends then is effort enough. sometimes I convince myself to still go somewhere- let's say the big party- and afterwards I am glad I went but I am also tired as hell because it costs so much energy to just be there :D it is soooooo weird.

what happens to me as well is that when I am being in wave my brain seems to forget that I habe been in waves and windows before and that it will pass. With every new wave I tend to get desperate and scared that it will never be different again and suddenly a few days later the coin flips and booom-all the dark thoughts and worries are gone. I think thats a pattern you can see in my thread ;) sometimes I write very desperate, sometimes hopeful. WD is soooo tricky. But it alwayyyyys helps me when I tell

myself that at least I am not damaging my brain any

more, I am drug free and that's worth something, even when I'm

miserable

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

• 1 month later...

Is it time to give up??

It's been 8 months now. Still unable to work, crippled by anxiety and depression. I'm a burden on everyone, I'm broken and lost, I feel dead inside. I have had windows but they haven't lasted. I can't live like this.

I really wanted to believe I could do this and live my life without drugs but maybe that's not a reality for me.

It'll break my heart to go back on the drugs but this is no life. I could just ask for Sertraline and run the risks of taking it if I get pregnant.

Has anyone else had to give up giving up and realised a life without drugs is a nice fantasy but not possible for them?

You can hear my story on the Let's Talk Withdrawal podcast. Its a global weekly podcast created by James Moore that interviews experts and others suffering from the awful effects of psychiatric medication. Here's how to listen...

If you have an iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with iTunes, this link will take you to the iTunes Store where you can subscribe so each new episode will download automatically...

https://goo.gl/Yz7Zmp

Or you can also listen and download each episode here on any device...

http://jfmoore.libsyn.com/

Started AD aged 14 (1997)

Stopped AD Escitralopram aged 33 (May 14th 2016) weaned down from 20mg to 1mg

10 months SSRI free since May 2016

Hey there CJAJ- first of all, I am terribly sorry that you're going through this really rough time! I, we all here can refer to how you're feeling. Specially concerning those "should I go back on meds" topic. This is truly the hardesr part. Never knowing if this will just ever end... I am telling you one thing: If you have been fine pre meds (or at least ways ways better) - then this is wirhdrawal. And WD does not last forever! I habe had a really tough wave about 9 months into WD where I was overthinking the whole ad topic again.But it ended. and for 2 months now my

life almost feels normal again. I know there might still be some waves ahead of me. I found that in so many books there was an 18 months mark mentioned. Saying that it's normal for WD to last about 18 months. I even found it in my heart to talk to my GP ( i mostly don't talk to doctors about this any more) and he confirmed that the nervous system takes a lot of time to heal. He congratulated me

for lasting this long. You can be very proud of yourself and what you have mastered so far! I totally understand that you rather go back on meds than suffer this way- but maybe it helps if you set a time-limit waiting at least for 18 months? sometimes recovery comes very sudden:) the windows become longer, waves less intense. I believe you can do it:) got support at home?

best wishes,

Pepita

Is it time to give up??

It's been 8 months now. Still unable to work, crippled by anxiety and depression. I'm a burden on everyone, I'm broken and lost, I feel dead inside. I have had windows but they haven't lasted. I can't live like this.

I really wanted to believe I could do this and live my life without drugs but maybe that's not a reality for me.

It'll break my heart to go back on the drugs but this is no life. I could just ask for Sertraline and run the risks of taking it if I get pregnant.

Has anyone else had to give up giving up and realised a life without drugs is a nice fantasy but not possible for them?

So sorry you are struggling CJAJ.

You are 8 months drug free you are doing so well.

Listen this is not the time to give up. Dont give up. You can do this.

You are getting windows despite them being short in duration and frequency that is something to hang on to. That in and of itself is a sign you will improve. The windows in time will lengthen and strengthen as the cns heals.

I'll tell you something at 14 months i decided i would give up the fight id had enough. I walked into the doctors clinic to see the doc the secretary said he was all booked up today and i would have to make an appointment for another day.  I said thanks and left. I never went back again and carried on surviving. I'm so glad he was booked up that day. And im so glad i pushed on drug free. In just two more months from there i experienced a receding of the morning 'hell' and at about 2 yrs it then  became manageable.

Its hard to describe but i could suddenly walk from my bedroom to the bathroom in the mornings without shaking and crying and without  overwhelming intrusive thoughts pushing me to cut my wrists or hang myself.

It has taken me 6 yrs to be able to return to work. So you are not alone.

Many times after 2-4 year period  i would still cry and say im not going to make it. But i kept on. Slowly very slowly windows became longer and more stable.

Distraction i think is key. There is heaps of stuff here on this site about that. Also when things got real bad i would lie down and keep still. Sometimes thats all one can do.

Don't give up many report improvements in yr 1-2 and even more in yr 2-3.

Hangin there.

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

CJ. This is the exact time you shouldn't give up . Sometimes when it gets tough is when you have to " push through " . 8 - 9 months can be excruciating but if you keep going then you can get through this eventually.

Sometimes when you are ready to give up is when you are just about to have a breakthrough, maybe. Hang in there. It gets better. How do you know if you're maybe almost there ? You don't so keep going . :)

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Thank you all for replying to me, all three of your replies made me cry! You've all given me hope again that this is "normal" in WD and that I may still stand a chance of life without drugs.

A lot of ppl have been telling me to go back on the meds and that's it's "fine" to take them when pregnant. It's what's confused me. Left me thinking why am I suffering if I can just take the meds and the baby (when that day comes) will be fine!? BUT deep down that is not what I want at all.

Pepita- I dont remember how I was before this. I was only 14 when I was put on them and I took them for 19 years. I've never known myself without them and that is a very frightening thought.

Thank you again everyone you have all been my lifeline the last 8 months as I've entered a terrifying world of hell.

I'm going to try and keep going. I won't give up yet xx

You can hear my story on the Let's Talk Withdrawal podcast. Its a global weekly podcast created by James Moore that interviews experts and others suffering from the awful effects of psychiatric medication. Here's how to listen...

If you have an iPhone, iPad or PC/Mac with iTunes, this link will take you to the iTunes Store where you can subscribe so each new episode will download automatically...

Ohhhh my god, I did not know that, that's horrible!! Well I am pretty sure you were a lot better without meds and all this WD madness!!!! We all know how quickly you get prescribes meds and it's particarly cruel to do so to a child/teenager! Your brain has to find itself again after sooo many many years. you're really brave!!!!!

I'm getting a bit anxious... has anyone experienced tingling crawling sensation on their skin?? It's in the same place beside my left eye, temple and cheek bone area, been happening for a few weeks now on and off. Is this withdrawal or something else??

Hi CJ

I did have a crawling feeling when WD first hit. It felt like I had ants or insects crawling on my arms and sometimes legs. It was very annoying but went of its own accord once things settled down.

I also had nervous tics on my face where I could feel muscles jumping around my eyes.

I hope this helps and that it goes away soon.

xxxxFlowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Thank you so much for replying!

I'm 8 months since stopping is it still a withdrawal symptom at this stage or is there something really wrong with me?

It's most likely still withdrawal . Happy days.  Hang in there .

CJ . what are your symptoms ?

Thank you so much for replying!

I'm 8 months since stopping is it still a withdrawal symptom at this stage or is there something really wrong with me?

Its nice to meet you CJ. 

I would think if you were still experiencing other WD symptoms then it is just one more to deal with  :(.

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Sorry CJ - just saw that AliG beat me to it! 

xxx

At the beginning I experienced a whole tidal wave of physical symptoms they settled around the 4-5 months mark. But I've been crippled by the anxiety and depression and dangerous thoughts.

Recently I've had this tingling on my face and also nerve pain on top of my head. Do I just put it down to more fun and joy from withdrawal or be concerned?

Thank you both so much for replying to me btw xx

CJA. It's most likely more : " fun & games "  as a result of withdrawal. I had exactly the same . Now - gone . It's all withdrawal !  

You experience the same??

Thank you AliG!

CJA.Yes, I did.  I had the " pins & needles" in the head , burning almost everywhere. I had all the same symptoms.

It just disappears eventually. You have to " wait it out ". At the end of the day if this is your biggest symptom then you're doing ok even though it can be very disconcerting at times.  

You're absolutely right! If I know it's just part of the withdrawal and not something like a brain tumour or disease I can stick it out.

I've had the burning too, on one side of my head which had me bed ridden for two weeks

AliG- at what stage of your withdrawal did you experience this and at what stage did it stop?

Most of my serious symptoms started at around 8 - 9 months from my last Cold Turkey. The " pins & needles" mainly in the head stopped at around 12 months.

I saw it as my brain healing.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10914-what-is-happening-in-your-brain/

This thread helped me to understand and stay positive.

Thank you for the link I will have a read.

I had no option but to lock myself in a dark room I've never known pain like it! I was crawling the walls in agony. Only on the right hand side of my head, burning, stabbing, tender scalp, couldn't stand the light, so painful. The Dr said it was occipital neuralgia. Very fearful of it flaring my up again.

AliG - when you say it was around the 8/9 month mark things got bad for you do you mean this happened during tapering or 8/9 months being off the drug?

Hi I just want to give you a bit of hope . Sweetheart these things you are describing are all normal. Have you been to a Dr to do tests? Sometimes it will put your mind at rest. I also have bad health anxiety but have learnt that when I'm in a wave I have very bad symptoms of every illness known to man lol. When I'm feeling better all these fears magically disappear. I've been off ADs for 2 and 3 months and I can promise you it does get better. If you can go psychologist it does help but tell them from the start your story and explain that meds are not a option , if they nag you to take leave and find someone else. I found quite a few were adamant that I needed meds to function but I knew that it was withdrawal and refused to take it again. But it really does get better. Try focusing on the baby you are planning to have start planning a room and general things that will get your mind off this hell you are going though now.

Hi there! I had this exact same feeling - even on the exact same spots as you're describing several times in my life. 1) in extremely stressful times 2) in Withdrawal. As WD effects the nervous system it is extremely likely to experience this symptom! It will vanish sooner or later, just try not to focus too much on it:))

Thank you both so much for your reassuring replies. The fact it's lasted so long was really beginning to concern me. I wasn't sure if you could still experience physical withdrawal symptoms 8 months on. But you're all helping me to see that I probably am.

I'm starting therapy on 20th Jan, there's no way I'll be letting them put me back on meds, I've not come this far to give up now

Arghhhhhhhh ???????????????? I'm going Mad. My skin feels like is got insects crawling all over my face and head!! It's tingling in areas all over! What is this?????

8 month clear of Lexapro... thought I was through the physical symptoms.

My skin is crawling and tingling. Mainly on my face and head but it's happening all over. Reading what I can find most ppl who experience this have it at the beginning of withdrawal not 8 months in. Is it still possible for it to be withdrawal for me?

Can I do anything like take an antihistamine??

I'm thought the physical symptoms were over, this is so hard ????????????

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, people often experience CNS (central nervous system) symptoms months after their last dose. The symptoms are different for each individual.

Anti-histamines are neuroactive medications, therefore taking them is risky when you're dealing with symptoms of a destabilized nervous system.  You may find some ideas to cope with the tingling and burning in this topic: Parasthesia: pins & needles, burning, tingling sensations.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you so much for replying, it's really frightening how physical symptoms can still happen 8 months on.

I'm glad I waited to hear back from you before taking anything to try and stop it.

Hi CJ :

AliG - when you say it was around the 8/9 month mark things got bad for you do you mean this happened during tapering or 8/9 months being off the drug?

Sorry for not replying earlier. I only just saw this.

I did many cold turkeys over the years as I didn't like the side effects from being on the drugs so I was always trying to get off them but I didn't know about tapering or withdrawal.

I would manage to get to about the 8 - 9 month mark suffering mainly physical symptoms that I couldn't explain. It was usually about that time when the heavy duty depression would return and I couldn't cope. I would go back to the doctor for a script for a new antidepressant to try. I was looking for the perfect pill with no side effects. LOL.

I followed this pattern for years.

It was only after my last cold turkey off Valdoxan in May 2014 after I found SA that I realized what had been happening and that each time I had been in withdrawal . It wasn't my original condition returning as I had been told by doctors previously.

This time I knew what to expect and I was determined to just get through it. When the depression hit again around that same time I just kept going. I knew it was the only way off this merry go round.

It wasn't only depression. I had physical and emotional symptoms too. These changed in a windows and waves pattern throughout my withdrawal. During a wave they would usually all intensify.

I found it easier than before as I had the information.

I hope that answers your question. That was my experience but it's different for everyone. I hope you get some relief soon.

Ali

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone relate to this??

I'm nearly 9 months off of escitralopram...

Before Christmas I had 2 weeks of chronic pain on the right side of my head, it was a burning stabbing pain, i couldn't even touch my scalp because it was so painful, it left me bed ridden. It thankfully eased off from the acute level it was at but it's left me with pain in the top right hand side of my head that sometimes radiates onto my forehead or the back of my head. It almost feels like an ice cream headache. Then at times my scalp becomes so sore and tender I can't even brush my hair. I still also get the insect crawling feeling on my face and head but it's not painful.

I've had a MRI scan which is normal. So what is this?? Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on this?

Thank you x

Hi CJ.  Yes head symptoms are a common withdrawal symptom but usually recede in time.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12373-head-symptoms

Ok, thank you.