Jump to content
Altostrata

Probiotics and gut health

Recommended Posts

peng

Just my experience and personal view.

I took a popular Japanese one on sale in our supermarkets - probably on it for a year or two.  I even took 'em with me when away camping.

 

Nice little cool drink, but it did nothing for me I have to say.

 

A BBC science program - on last week - with respected popular scientist tried one out and reported nothing positive.

Maybe a waste of money, then?  Hopefully they are doing some good for anyone putting faith in them.

Maybe you have to try lots of them?  Life is short when you are 71, though. 

 

Be lucky,

Love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck83

After the colonoscopy prep almost to killed me, is better I take probiotics pills? today I buy on pharmacy one, it's called enterolactis plus, and contains Lactobacillus casei DG, the pharmacists says this is a really strong and I can take only one pill for day, or is better to stay away from the pill and I only eat a good yogurt?

Someone think the spasms and the cramps is still i have is a good bacteria removed by a colonoscopy prep, any advise?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheri755

I know this sounds odd, but I'm finding I sleep a lot better when I take a 1/2 portion of a liquid probiotic, Goodbelly, in the morning.

 

I had some gut distress a couple of months ago and my digestion and sleep went south. My regular probiotic capsules didn't seem to do anything in particular (the higher dosage ones definitely were activating and kept me awake). When I tried a bit of Goodbelly again, the results were dramatic. I still wake once or twice in the middle of the night, but I'm able to go back to sleep.

 

Goodbelly contains one particular probiotic strain, Lactobacillus plantarum 299v. It's a liquid you can find in the refrigerated section of many US markets.

 

I have no idea how this works for sleep, but it does for me right now.

I had no idea that probiotics could be activating. I've been taking one for 2-3 weeks that has 20 billion cultures per capsule!! I'm in so much pain. Non functioning and in bed scared to death of everything. Updosing a couple of beads may help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KarenB

Instead of up-dosing, how about stopping the probiotics?  I think you'd get a better result.  For some of us, yoghurt is a much gentler option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheri755

Instead of up-dosing, how about stopping the probiotics? I think you'd get a better result. For some of us, yoghurt is a much gentler option.

Hi Karen,

I'm stopping the Probiotic but I read somewhere that dairy is not good for those of us with Hashimoto's. Oh man, I'm running out of options. I just don't know anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KarenB

How about a dairy-free probiotic coconut-yoghurt?  Or water kefir or kombucha? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheri755

How about a dairy-free probiotic coconut-yoghurt? Or water kefir or kombucha?

These sound great to take while I'm soo sensitive!! Shouldn't be any activating ingredients in these. Thanks!????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
KarenB

As with anything, start with small doses.  I find kombucha activating on days when I'm having symptoms already, but on good days it's fine.  Just try and see what works for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheri755

I will, especially after several horrific days. Wish I had known this sooner but so glad that I read this thread. Hopefully, it's saved me from having to updose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
btdt

I thought I did a lot of research on probiotics but this person has me beat hands down... about anything you would want to know... including how different ones affect histamine and anxiety all very interesting stuff be warned this will not be a casual read... and may take many hours of your time... for me it will become a fav link. 

wishing you all peace... 

 

one thing I wish the site had more studiy on L. Reuteri as I am quite sure I have linked more to it here then this site... but he has tons of others I have never heard of...

 

https://cfsremission.com/page/33/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Waiting12

Looking for a recommended good starting dose for probiotics. I know next to nothing about them and am kind of confused. I see the doses look something like 5, 30 & 100 billion cultures in the pill form. However, on livestrong is says it ranges from 1 to 10 billion & that a person should start with 1 or 2 billion CFUs. I know we are sensitive to supplements, so im wondering what a good cautious dose would look like to start with. Also, are you all taking these every day or switch off and on? Is something as simple as activia yogurt enough to help? I ask because I have been on antibiotics for 21 days and have to start another round next week.

Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken

I have taken a week long course of 200 billion, which did give me some GI issues initially but they eased up.

 

Just ordered it again.

 

Trying out another candida fighting probiotic aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gigi63

Hi Waiting. I take a female probiotic. I started with 5 billion. Took that for 3 weeks then went up to 10 billion. This is where I am staying. Works well for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apathetic

Probiotics helped me a lot in withdrawal for my stomach (when it comes to nausea and vomiting).
I'm using them every day as a supplement until my stomach recovers completely, my regular doctor told me that I should take one daily for a month to recover completely, but I can say that I'm a lot better after that episode of having an unstable stomach. Right now, I only have that unstable feeling inside my stomach when I'm anxious, which is a normal reaction, but through my journey with anxiety that I've been experiencing my whole life, I've learned how to make a difference between the nausea caused by anxiety and the real nausea (there is a big difference).

 

But I don't really know how to explain the difference, you just feel it inside your stomach. I've been scared of throwing up my whole life and that's the only fear that is still here after the withdrawal began, the one thing that makes me feel like my personality didn't completely fade away.

My stomach is better now and it makes me far more functional, at least physically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powerback

waiting on kefir grains to make the drink myself ,packed with probiotic goodness I've read ,healthy hobby also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rob66

I've been taking a high quality probiotic for a while now but notice nothing different.  Hard to justify the price of them if I see no apparent benefit.  I had some heartburn years ago, but switching to a Paleo style diet took that away for good.  After switching to this style of eating, I've had nothing but good things to say about my gut health.  Might just ditch the probiotic and save some money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powerback
4 hours ago, Rob66 said:

I've been taking a high quality probiotic for a while now but notice nothing different.  Hard to justify the price of them if I see no apparent benefit.  I had some heartburn years ago, but switching to a Paleo style diet took that away for good.  After switching to this style of eating, I've had nothing but good things to say about my gut health.  Might just ditch the probiotic and save some money.

sounds like the better option ,sticking to the diet ,supplements are mostly gimmicks from what I'm reading lately, just listened to a lady called holly on jamess podcast ,she stuck to an anti inflammatory diet ,helped her loads 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
manymoretodays

Yes.  I am a big fan of anti-inflammatory diets.  And kefir.  When your body suggests it.

 

  I'm not sure if I agree that all supplements are "a gimmick"..........certainly here in the States, everybody and their brother starts up some multi-level marketing business or online nutritional counseling thing of their own, for profit.  Often without any heed to individual variances.  Buyer beware I say.  On the good side........one can find lot's of information to sort through online prior to making decisions based on ones own makeup and particular need.

 

As for me, myself.........I invested tons of money on medical management already over the course of about 3 decades.  I can't do it anymore.........invest in every suggestion out there for whatever.

 

mmt

p.s. I do need to update my signature as some of supplements have been altered, tapered, or am off of them completely.  Be well everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
manymoretodays

p.s.s.  Pfft......I keep forgetting to use edit.........I also like the books that are in abundance on this topic........at the various markets and bookstores and even the good old library as a source for further education.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
powerback

just drank some of my first  homemade water kefir batch ,well actually second ,the first one yesterday end up all over the kitchen walls ,way to much carbonation built up in the bottle :D  ,ile have to watch this space for a few weeks see how it affects me ,small glass at first . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken

All I can say is, STRESS seems to override ALL the benefits that pre and probiotics are supposed to have in MY gut.

 

Yesterday I had MAJOR gut issues (IBS) due to stress with multiple visits to the bathroom and a day spent on the sofa.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Junglechicken
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:28 PM, btdt said:

I am a firm believer in probiotics and some supplements the longer I live the more I like them but only some and I lived it and learned it all the hard way.... 

http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/ultraflora-womens if you have woman issues this is a god send.

 

Thanks btdt....am thinking of adding this one to my already comprehensive menu of supplements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChessieCat

Over the last few days I've been eating yoghurt containing high dose of probiotics.  I hadn't been using anything with probiotics prior to this.  I've developed hives.  I can't think of anything else which might be causing this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
savinggrace

My first thought is histamine intolerance. Hives is a classic symptom for me. 

 

Grace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emilie

hi,

i wanted to share an information about probiotics

i was making some research on gaba (to increase it naturally)

and i have found that some probiotic can reduce gaba : Lactobacillus rhamnosus eat gaba :(((

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/38/16050

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2095769-gut-bacteria-spotted-eating-brain-chemicals-for-the-first-time/

 

(wikipedia says : L. rhamnosus sometimes is used in yogurt and dairy productssuch as fermented and un-pasteurized milk and semi-hard cheese.) and i find it added in some probiotic supplement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rxhell2016
3 hours ago, emilie said:

hi,

i wanted to share an information about probiotics

i was making some research on gaba (to increase it naturally)

and i have found that some probiotic can reduce gaba : Lactobacillus rhamnosus eat gaba :(((

http://www.pnas.org/content/108/38/16050

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2095769-gut-bacteria-spotted-eating-brain-chemicals-for-the-first-time/

 

(wikipedia says : L. rhamnosus sometimes is used in yogurt and dairy productssuch as fermented and un-pasteurized milk and semi-hard cheese.) and i find it added in some probiotic supplement

Much appreciated for posting this research. I have studied "psychobiotics" as more and more is revealed about the very real and emerging gut-brain nexus.  Although not confirmatory and no way to know for sure, after perusing the links you posted, L. rhamnosus could've been a contributing factor in my most recent hiccup in my K taper, as it is mixed in a proprietary blend with other strains in one of my probiotic supplements [http://shop.organic3.com/primal-gut-powder] that I have been taking since April. Just by a "gut feeling" (no pun intended), I made the decision to stop this blend and go back to my tried and trusted blend by the same company which is know for its specialized use for those with histamine issues [http://shop.organic3.com/gutpro].

Upon further reading of the research, L. rhamnosus, however, actually may be beneficial:  "Furthermore, in this study we observed that L. rhamnosus administration reduces the stress-induced elevation in corticosterone, suggesting that the impact of the Lactobacillus on the CNS has an important effect at a physiological level."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201206/do-probiotics-help-anxiety

One could theorize that L. rhamnosus is a GABA modulator and the trick is to consume the right levels of this and other strains which is no easy task and fraught with much trial and error. Over-colonizing the gut with this one and you wind up with a GABA deficit; not enough and you're more prone to emotional lability.

 

Great in-depth article on different strains and the future of psychobiotics : http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2016/03/01/10-best-probiotics-for-depression-anxiety-gut-brain-axis-modification/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
savinggrace

Emilie,

 

Your English is just fine....excellent, actually!

 

Thank you so much for sharing these links with me, and your discovery about that particular strain of good bacteria.

 

I am getting ready, (literally getting all my medical data together) for a dietician and will undergo stool testing as well as food sensitivity panels as well as anything else that will help us try to get my micro-biome healed.  I am certain I have leaky gut syndrome and it has made me sick all over...bed-ridden if I allow it to do so...but I fight it.

 

I am going to explore healing my gut before any further cuts.

 

I read all the links.  Wow, that was a lot of material, but very specific (and over-whelming).  It is too bad science has not yet tweaked this enough to prescribe EXACTLY which bacteria are good for a particular person's gut, and which may do more harm than good.  At this point, It is all a big experiment, and I know I will suffer, but like you I am losing weight again, and can't continue this way.  I am hoping the stool sample analysis will help point us in the right direction as far as which pro-biotics to start with.

 

rxhell, thank you as well.  I actually bought Gut Pro after reading one of your posts a year or so ago.  I kind of chickened out in taking it, as everything upsets the wobbly apple cart, but I had my husband take it so it was not wasted.  I am keeping Gut Pro on my list of a choice to begin with.  They have a children's formula that is also designed for more sensitive people, so I could start very, very slowly...

 

I am committed to improving my leaky gut.  No more cuts until I do.  My body is just too sick to endure cutting and supplements (of which I now take NONE and sorely need many)

 

Thanks again for sharing to both of you.  If only research could go a little faster and science could keep up.  I feel like the clock's ticking on me and I don't have time to wait... I also feel somewhat cynical as I think the enteric nervous system in our guts is the root of much illness (physical and mental) and the medical profession is not interested in exploring it because it would heal and/or prevent much illness and reduce the need for pharmaceuticals, surgeries, on-going care. etc.  It's a lot of work trying to heal one's self, but doctors have no answers for me any more so I spend a lot of time looking for answers.  Looks like you guys do too!

 

Grace

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
emilie
9 hours ago, savinggrace said:

Emilie,

 

Your English is just fine....excellent, actually!

 

Thank you so much for sharing these links with me, and your discovery about that particular strain of good bacteria.

 

I am getting ready, (literally getting all my medical data together) for a dietician and will undergo stool testing as well as food sensitivity panels as well as anything else that will help us try to get my micro-biome healed.  I am certain I have leaky gut syndrome and it has made me sick all over...bed-ridden if I allow it to do so...but I fight it.

 

I am going to explore healing my gut before any further cuts.

 

I read all the links.  Wow, that was a lot of material, but very specific (and over-whelming).  It is too bad science has not yet tweaked this enough to prescribe EXACTLY which bacteria are good for a particular person's gut, and which may do more harm than good.  At this point, It is all a big experiment, and I know I will suffer, but like you I am losing weight again, and can't continue this way.  I am hoping the stool sample analysis will help point us in the right direction as far as which pro-biotics to start with.

 

rxhell, thank you as well.  I actually bought Gut Pro after reading one of your posts a year or so ago.  I kind of chickened out in taking it, as everything upsets the wobbly apple cart, but I had my husband take it so it was not wasted.  I am keeping Gut Pro on my list of a choice to begin with.  They have a children's formula that is also designed for more sensitive people, so I could start very, very slowly...

 

I am committed to improving my leaky gut.  No more cuts until I do.  My body is just too sick to endure cutting and supplements (of which I now take NONE and sorely need many)

 

Thanks again for sharing to both of you.  If only research could go a little faster and science could keep up.  I feel like the clock's ticking on me and I don't have time to wait... I also feel somewhat cynical as I think the enteric nervous system in our guts is the root of much illness (physical and mental) and the medical profession is not interested in exploring it because it would heal and/or prevent much illness and reduce the need for pharmaceuticals, surgeries, on-going care. etc.  It's a lot of work trying to heal one's self, but doctors have no answers for me any more so I spend a lot of time looking for answers.  Looks like you guys do too!

 

Grace

 

 

Hi Grace, thanks for saying my english is not horrble^^.

I don't think i have advise Gut pro. I think it was another personn on this forum.

I have gastritis and Gastroesophageal_reflux_disease, but i think the cause of gastritis is withdrawal and crisis i have each evening. I am on IPP for 15 days.

I don't take probiotics because i think all is because my GABA is deficiency.

Gaba modulate esophageal sphincter and has a anti ulcer activity. All become calm if i take 1000mg of valerian( which act like benzodiazepine, rich in GABA , do i know it  is gaba deficiency for me and not probiotic)

sphincter modulation

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10611148

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10535878

anti ulcer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3041149

regulation of acidity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2155808

 

i have found this study http://www.openaccessjournals.com/peer-review/effects-of-selective-serotonin-reuptake-inhibitors-on-the-pharmacokinetics-of-proton-pump-inhibitors-12006.html

So antidepressant and anxiolytic have interaction with Proton-pump inhibitors (used to reduce stomac acidity)

 

GABA is a big modulator of digestive zone.

 

(To avoid my night problem, i take valerian at sunset and when the sun come down at sunset, i don't put "on" artificial light. I just keep in ark, and go to bed at 21h. then i wake up at 5h. it seems it help for me to avoid the evening that way. I don't eat 3h before sunset.)

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.