SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

gn11: WD symptoms appearing at 5mg due to cortisol dysfunction after eye surgery

• Administrator

Which med did you move?

You might look into a low histamine diet. Histamine intolerance can follow food poisoning. Beef, yogurt, and almond butter (and most nuts) are all high in histamines. Oatmeal is not. You might try oatmeal for breakfast and see if you feel better afterward.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The only SSRI I'm taking is Celexa. I moved it to 11 am. I also made a tiny cut  from 7.2 to 7.0 after 3 days at 7.2. The palpitations occur after I take  celexa. They happen if my cortisol level  is high in the morning. Sometimes in the late afternoon I crash. I can sleep most days but if I doze off or fall sleep afterwards, I can feel my cortisol rising.  I took taurine (500 mg) one night and it really helped. Yesterday I was sick of my stomach and felt low until the end of the day I took a half dose but I can tell because I was focused on my digestion. . I took one this morning but then I fell sleep and I was feeling better until I took the Celexa around 11 when my heart beat started to rise again.  I have pretty much taken care of my hydration so I don't think is that. I am going to have acupuncture for palpitation. Fortunately, I'm the dean of an institute that has an acupuncture program...waiting for my disability, though.

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

Which med did you move?

You might look into a low histamine diet. Histamine intolerance can follow food poisoning. Beef, yogurt, and almond butter (and most nuts) are all high in histamines. Oatmeal is not. You might try oatmeal for breakfast and see if you feel better afterward.

I mostly eat oatmeal in the morning and I do  feel better... occasionally I eat yogurt with it. i was eating nut butter for a while but  I'm stopping that...my digestion is fine today...it's the palpitations that are worrisome.

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

This afternoon I had increased heart beat....I felt better after acupuncture. I came home and ate a snack. Drank regular water. Started to have an increase in heartbeat again. I ate dinner and drank coconut water. This water has Potassium and other electrolytes....within a few minutes my palpitations stopped and my heart beat went back to normal...my electrolytes are off. I stopped using the eye med tonight too as it increases this problem. I will see the doctor tomorrow and have my potassium levels checked. 

I went through some rough days with food and anxiety. I started feeling better Wed afternoon. I know I was dehydrated and started coconut water and other electrolyte water. I went to the doctor and they did a blood test for low potassium etc and it all came normal. It seems like I'm a paramount of health according to all my tests.  Today I got activated from doing doing chair yoga ( which I was able to do yesterday) and eating a slice of bread. It didn't help that  I went to my office for a couple of hours. I did a neti pot since it helps the sinus which as helped some. I will have acupuncture tomorrow I live alone so I worry about dehydration etc. I did find a therapist and I am checking a couple of psychiatrist which tout themselves as integrative psychiatrist. One has training in Functional Medicine which I'm interested in learning more about and see if it helps.

I found that there are some residential places that help people taper from medications. Has anybody had any experience with this?

• Administrator

It sounds like you tend to be dehydrated. This can cause all kinds of symptoms.

When you get up in the morning, be sure to drink 2 large glasses of water right off, and drink a large glass of liquid with breakfast.

It also sounds like you could benefit from regular potassium supplementation (99mg per day is the standard) and possibly taurine.

Please look up "histamine intolerance foods" and see if those cause problems for you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I am drinking coconut juice before I go to bed and when I get up. I has more Potasium than the suplemments. My test came normal on the  Potasium level. I am experimenting with the histamine diet. White rice works better than brown rice for sure. I reacted to brown rice and beans yesterday by sneezing.  Today my sinus became inflamed I think by eating bread. I seem to do okay with oyster crackers (all natural). They must be easier to digest. Fish and chicken are okay. I am shopping low histamine food. tomorrow.

I am cutting  to 6.75 tomorrow and staying for 3 to 4 days and then I'll do another .25. I am trying to get back to the dose I was before up-dosing or close to it.

• Administrator

You might want to cut out wheat and gluten for a while, you might be reacting to it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes issues with food come about due to how we prepare them.  Brown rice is much easier to digest if soaked first for 12- 24 hours, either in water or bone-broth.  The soaking acts like a pre-digestion stage.  Soaking also helps us digest oats, flour, nuts, seeds and grains.  Of course it depends on how intolerant you personally are - some people need to cut these out altogether, others are okay with a change in preparation. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks! So far I do well with Oats and white rice (organic of course). I can eat fish, chicken and eggs.I am fine with milk and  a little butter I think bread will have to go. Beans and nuts are kind of heavy now...I think a low histamine diet probably will be best.

• Administrator

If you want to go low-histamine, be very careful to eat fresh foods. Proteins gain in histamines as they age. Leftovers containing meat are probably not a good idea, or prepared foods that have been sitting in a cooler at the market for more than a day.

Did well yesterday but today I have struggled with food. I had oatmeal with milk  this morning. I had  a turkey burger which I have done well with i before but ate by itself itself and it affected me. I  had some greens and had some candied ginger afterwards r and it improved. This affected my digestion all day. Rice and a hard boiled for dinner slightly queasy...I di make a very small 2-3 % cut as I am trying to get back to 5 mg yesterday...any help with food?? trying to do low histamine as much as I can.

• Administrator

You will need to look closely at the low histamine food lists. See http://www.histaminintoleranz.ch/en/therapy_dietarychange.html

Foods that might be a problem: Dairy and egg whites (except if scrambled with the yolk). If the turkey burger was made of ground meat that had been around for a day or so, it might have been high histamine.

You may wish to have a bit of ginger at every meal if it settles your stomach, or drink ginger tea.

I haven't had problems with dairy. I use grasssfed milk...I will put coconut yogurt with my oatmeal today...very worried at this time because my eating has taken a tumble and what I can eat changes everyday...thinking about going to a residential holistic place to deal with this. I am not able to function much. I cut down to 6.75 after 4 days as I had planned to get closer to my original 5 but I believe maybe I should stay here longer

I am having a real hard time and wonder if  should go back up to 7 mg, I just cut to 6.75 as I was trying to get back down to 5 through a quick microtaper...food intolerance has increased and anxiety symptoms. I also wonder if a bridge drug such as Prozac can be helpful  since I already have withdrawal symptoms...I've heard that it can stop w/d symptoms  

• Administrator

Any food that is fermented, such as yogurt, may be high in histamine. Some people become sensitive to all dairy. Milk will start aging and acquiring histamine as soon as it comes out of the cow.

Did you resolve the glaucoma drug side effects with your ophthalmologist?

After reinstatement, you may need to take a steady dose for months, not weeks. Please take all of your drugs very regularly, do not play with the dosing, and keep daily notes of your symptom pattern, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. This can indicate where symptoms are coming from.

I am staying at 6;75 and  I take the dose at the same time everyday. I think is  protein and histamine I'm not digesting. I  am not eating yogurt only a coconut version that is not fermented. I am having a hard time digesting lots of things but not chicken, scramble eggs, white rice and oatmeal, Milk I am doing it sparingly.  I can also have green with my food.

You had suggested coming down to 5. I have been doing 2-4 % cuts every 4 days. I am stopping now. My hydration is fine but my anxiety after eating has spiked. Only the relaxing acupuncture seems to help. Unfortunately, I am alone so I'm thinking about going to a rehab and stabilize...if I can't do it on my own I only found one in Arizona...not sure if its worth it. I'll see how I do tomorrow.

I was never able to contact my ophtalmologist here. I stopped the day drop. I will have to call my surgeon and see if he can find something else.

If I i'm activated  get palpitations and high anxiety. I do keep notes. I did get activated the second time I took taurine but I hadn't eaten much so I may try a little if needed

• Administrator

It is very, very unlikely you're going to find a rehab center, a doctor, or a hospital that knows what to do about your symptoms and tapering.

(Please see our topic about the Alternative to Meds center.)

Very few doctors in the US even know that histamine food intolerance exists.

You are going to have to do a lot of self-managing, much more than you're used to, as it's very unlikely you'll find a medical professional who has even the vaguest grasp of the things we've talked about. If you find any, please let me know.

(Ophthalmologists, however, are familiar with the side effects of the drugs they prescribe.)

Really working on my food right now.  I ate chicken and white rice yesterday and did fine. I had been struggling with food issues over the weekend. I am now trying to follow a low histamine diet. I introduced yellow squash today and ate lettuce, chicken and rice again. Also, oatmeal for breakfast. I'll do blueberries with my oatmeal tomorrow. I had acupuncture two days in a row. ....worried that I'm not getting enough fiber due to not eating brown rice as I had been for years.  I will be holding  at 6.75 for at least two months....ah and I went for a long walk with my neighbor

• Administrator

Psyllium powder may be your fiber friend.

Okay , my digestion is better. I am eating mango and blueberries.  My anxiety after taking the 6.75 dose  is pretty intense for several hours. Sometimes is not as bad and it gets better at nights. The only thing that helps is a calming acupuncture protocol at the community clinic. I can't go everyday. I know I cut very small amounts recently following advice that 7.5 was too much. I am trying to hang here for a couple of months...is it that my brains has not been able to get used to the new doses plus liquid formulation. Is the liquid formulation activating me? It seems that my anxiety got worse after I started the liquid formulation. 

Any thoughts. I am able to sleep most nights and my cortisol reaction is way down. I know is the med because I usually feel worse after I take it. somewhere between 1 hour to 4 hours. Taking about 75 mg of L-Theanin helped some. I did the other 25 mg in the capsule after I took the pill. I ddi feel a calming effect when I took the 75. I wonder if I should take more now and see if it works

• Administrator

You get symptoms after taking 6.75mg citalopram? What symptoms, at what times, and how often?

Please keep notes on paper about your symptoms, when you take your drugs, and their dosages. You might include this with your food diary.

Yes, I have been keeping notes. However, I just discover that the increase of anxiety is related to my not eating enough carbs. I was doing an elimination diet and got rid of a lot of the carbs I usually eat bananas for example, milk and beans which I have cut off. This happened to me before when  I went to a chiropractor looking for answers a couple of months ago. He suggested low grain diet and I  became extremely anxious within a couple of days.  One of those days at work I  had a couple of cookies and my anxiety went away. I started eating more carbs and felt much better. I experimented with breakfast cookies (better quality with oats, sugar and whea) and the anxiety went away within 5 to 10 minutes.

Here is the article  I had read before.

http://blogs.webmd.com/anxiety-and-stress-management/2006/03/carbs-and-anxiety.html

Here is today:

7:30 got up  fairly low cortisone reaction

8:00 had Lysine, Vitamin D, water with magnesium

8:30 ate oatmeal with coconut milk

10 started to feel anxious took 75 mg of L-Theanine

11:00 took Celexa 6.75

12:00 ate scrambled eggs and rice

1:00 anxiety and palpitations during the afternoon

5:00 pm went shopping

6:000 pm ate breakfast cookies (oat, wheat some sugar) immediately my severe  anxiety stopped

7:00 ate quinoa pasta and wild caught fish and salad

8;00 went for a walk

9:00 11:00 had digestive problems with mild anxiety: either the fish or the quinoa pasta (intuitively it feels that it was the pasta)

I have to find a balance  between low histamine and carbs. I seem to be fin with whet but I hear yeast is not  idea so maybe crackers

I had a good day yesterday eating more carbs and acupuncture helped my anxiety...felt normal for the most part.

Today:

got up at 7:30 but had a hard time staying awake; slight cortisol rise

8;30 ate breakfast cookies; had lysine and vitamin D

10:00 had eggs with oat crackers

11:000 Celexa 6.75 anxiety after about a half hour

12:00 went to work for a while mild to moderate anxiety all afternoon

1:30 had buttersquash cold soup and cracker digestion seemed fine for the most

Mild through moderate anxiety through the afternoon

5:30-6:00 dinner: chicken, lettuce oat cracker and coconut water

6:15 took about 50 mg of L-Theanine helped the anxiety. Thinking about taking more in a little while. My system seems fine with it.

Note: i am using a team approach to my recovery since I live by myself... including friends and professionals who have a holistic approach to this issue

update: anxiety went up after I had a a little more...L-Theanine. Hard to know if it was this or something I ate. I had very little starch yesterday and was pretty hungry when going to bed...although anxiety had improved...empty stomach feels worse

Update: low histamine diet has helped a lot...slowly feeling better with some setbacks. A combination of acupuncture, low stress and low histamine diet seems to be most helpful to me. 

update; Still trying to work a low histamine diet as this has seemed to be a problem with me...this is a very complex situation. I have a couple of friends helping me but I have a skype consult with a nutritionist out of Canada and I'm trying to do something more structured. I don't have palpitations or severe anxiety...but  still struggle with histamine reactions when I eat certain things ...keeping a diary but don't know what is affecting me at times 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for posting that eating low histamine has been helping you. You never know what's going to help; I'm glad this has brought you relief.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I am still dealing with histamine reactions and some days are good and others I don't know what is triggering my response. I am freezing my food and eating very simply. I will be having a skype consult with a nutritionist in Canada that has been working with histamine issues for the last 20 years. I am also wondering about other gut issues underlying my problem since I was on antibiotic drops and pills earlier in the yea because of surgery and infection.. I will post later in the week about my consults with the  nutritionist and a psychiatrists who works with diet issues.

• 6 months later...

Update and questions:

I have for the most part have been stable for the last few months, I originally stabilized at 6.75 Celexa for several months. I had lots of changes going on : going back to work,moving etc.  Mid January I made a 10% cut and and I held for 6 weeks. I just cut 10% this past Sunday. I am now at 5.60. Back in August I worked with a nutritionist and put myself in a low-histamine diet. It appears as if withdrawing from Celexa created or worsened a histamine problem.  I slowly introduced different foods and it worked well for me...with an occasional flare-up.  

It appears to be that I have a pretty serious histamine problem that get exacerbated by stress My stress level at work has been increasing and I notice that I  have been having more symptoms. I feel like I have some kind of hormonal imbalance  and my anxiety increases. 

My questions are: should I stabilize at 5.60 and hold until my stress level is lower?  Can sleep apnea be affecting my stress cycle and increasing my histamine sensitivity? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sleep apnea could definitely be affecting your ability to manage stress and/or causing physiological stress.

Hormones, like adrenaline and cortisol, that increase under stress, and neurotransmitters, e.g. histamine, interact with each other. You'd be wise to consider delaying the next dose decrease until you've got the sleep apnea and the histamine issues settled down and managed.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you. This is what I was thinking. I've only been in the 5.60 dose for 3 days. Should I go back to 6.08 where I was before or just stay here for now. I don't think my symptoms are related to the cut...it has been to short of a time...but I worry about having made the cu during a stressful time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Have you had any symptoms? If not, stay where you are.

You may want to keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s) for the next few weeks. This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

I am starting to keep a diary today. Most of my symptoms seem to be related to stress at work, including and mostly when I get angry and upset about something. I also notice an increased emotional sensitivity to other peoples emotions and moods. I will go to acupuncture today for stress relef and I'm thinking about working from home two days a week. I already work a reduced schedule. Any other suggestions for stress relief  would be helpful.

question: it has been only 10 days since I made the last cut. I am way too sensitive and work is challenging. Mostly hormonal fluctuations and hypersensitivity to emotions/ stress. Is it advisable to go back up to where I was 6.08 or should I just wait it out...maybe take some time from work and stabilize?