SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

gn11: WD symptoms appearing at 5mg due to cortisol dysfunction after eye surgery

• Moderator Emeritus

It is usually better to try and wait it out, however, if it is unbearable, then you could updose by a small amount, but not back to 6.08.

By my calculations you dropped by 0.48.  Maybe updose by 0.12, to 56.12?  From now on you may be better off reducing by 5% instead of 10%.

Many members find the lower they get the slower they need to go.  Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thanks! I think I'll wait it out and the next time I cut down, I'll try 5%. I just started to go down again in January after 6 months of stabilization at 6.76.  A lot of stress at work and a trip from out of town before this move

2006-2007 Lexapro (not sure of dose) in 2006

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

November 2013  started 10 mg of Celexa for hormonal symptoms

early 2014 cutdown Celexa to 5 mg.Attempted to get off it November 2014 and had  

Anxiety increased  every time I used  an OTC or had stress.

April-May Cortisol spike problems 

July 2016 Started taking liquid Celexa 7.5 mg

June 2021 I finished my taper en

Severe anxiety and insomnia

June 2022 symptoms omproved

July 2023 gut issues and sleep issues contnue

• 2 years later...

I have not posted on SA for a while. I am now at .9 mg of Celexa. It has been a long journey starting in 2016 with lots of false starts and mistakes.Very happy I found this group at the time.  I have had a number of issues including histamine sensitivity and visual problems in the last couple of years. I'm not sure the light sensitivity seems related to dry eye (mgd) hard to know if it's related to withdrawal since I have cataracts and took glaucoma drops for a number of years  since I have advanced glaucoma. It is possible that is a combination of all of it. My health took a tumble and eventually had to quit my job in 2017.

My question now is how to do this final phase of with drawing. The last couple of years I have been cutting 10% or a little less every3- 4 weeks. I did a coupl eof holds because of a move or an illness. At .9  I am close to my final destination but I'm not sure when to jump to 0 or whether I should continue to cut 10% every 3 -4 weeks or change this protocol? Any suggestion on this final stage would be appreciated.

2007 Stopped abruptly. Developed serious wd symptom.Went back after two weeks and  tapered successfully over 3 months

• 5 months later...

digestion, tinnitus and food sensitivities

I am in the last part of my withdrawal from Celexa (Citalopram). Recently (about 4 weeks ago) I did a reduction that was faater that I have been used to. Six weeks ago I did my usual 10% and the 2 weeks later I thought I was doing another 10% butt ended up doing a 15% by mistake. I have been  using a commercial liquid formulation I am now at 0.45.

A couple of weeks later i developed symptoms which (although relatively mild now) seem related to my digestion. I have been following a.low histamine diet for the most part (for about 4 years). I have had  tinnitus  during this time, mostly mild. I've also had a number of other sympoms that improved with diet. Right now every time I eat, I have what feels like sugar spike plus increased tinnitus and sinus congestion watery eys. I thought that there was a further dysregulation   of my histamine sensitivity;However, I am reacting to some of the usual (low histamine) foods so I'm thinking there is something else involved. I also stopped a supplement that I was taking for optical nerve health (I have glaucoma). I was wondering whether I have Salicylate or other digestive issue. I also wonder about my sugar levels being affected. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts regarding this...i am thinking of consulting a nutritionist/chiropractor and get tested for food sensitivities. Also, wondering whether getting back to a small supplementation of Magnesium, fish oil (which were part of the suppplement I was taking) could be helpful? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• 1 month later...

I am at 0.4 mg of Celexa. I have been withdrawing for about 4 years. Does anyone have suggestions and will be holding for 3 months more or less due to surgery coming up on July 14. I have 2 questions:

Does any have any suggestions /strategies regarding how to minimize possible side effects from surgery? (Its a simple hysterectomy, ovaries are saved).

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with doing this final part of withdrawal. I do 10% every 3 or 4 weeks with holds when I have major changes. I will like to be done by the end of the year.

Txs!

• Moderator Emeritus

@gn11

Here is a link on withdrawal and surgery that has some suggestions.  For more links Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org surgery.

Surgery and Anesthesia - Surviving Antidepressants

1 hour ago, gn11 said:

Does anyone have suggestions or experience with doing this final part of withdrawal. I do 10% every 3 or 4 weeks with holds when I have major changes. I will like to be done by the end of the year.

Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, is about to finish a post on the Endgame Taper, which should be up in plenty of time for you to use.  You're on liquid, so you have more flexibility.  I'm using the scale, which has limitations.  I'm at 0.4mg  Lexapro, about to go down to 0.3 this week where I will hold for four weeks, then to 0.2 with a hold, then to 0.1 with a hold, then to 0.05 with a hold.  Depending on my ability to work with the powder I might go lower to 0.025 or I might jump at 0.05.  

Brassmonkey's post should answer your questions.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the info Gridley. I will check regularly to see if Brassmonkey has finished his Endgame guidelines. I looked at it before but it seemed incomplete.

• 1 month later...

For the record, after writing this post. I started a FODMAP diet and it resolved my issues. I gave up onions, garlic, most dairy with exception of lactose free milk for coffee etc. and apples. My histamine sensitivity improved dramatically. I just had surgery (hysterectomy minus my ovaries). It went well and I'm recovering as expected. I have some minor unidentified skin rashes. I have this occasionally. The look like insect bites not sure what they are but they may be related to restaurant food I had this past Friday . I don't have a pet any longer (almost 4 years) but I started sitting in an old chair that my cat used for many years. Maybe still has traces of pert dander...hard to know.

• ChessieCat changed the title to gn11: WD symptoms appearing at 5mg due to cortisol dysfunction after eye surgery
  • 2 months later...

Hi gn11-- I got your PM, but I think it would be better if I answered your question here so you would have a better record of it. 

I see that your signature is out of date, it would be really helpful if you could bring it current.

I'm still waiting of approval from Alto so I can publish the revised article on the "Endgame Taper".  But I will try to supply you what information I can. First off I need to know the details of how you tapered to get to where you are now.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

On 10/9/2020 at 3:11 PM, brassmonkey said:

First off I need to know the details of how you tapered to get to where you are now.

I have been cutting by 10% for about 4 1/2 years every  3 or 4 weeks with several longer holds due to changes such as moves etcp. This year my 10% cuts have been every 4 weeks . I am at 0.32 mg (measured in ml via liquid formulation). I held for 2 months from mid June to September 1st due to a major surgery that I had on 7/14.  I've cut twice since then 9/1  from 0.4 to 0.36 and 10/1 from  0.36 to 0.32 . I am schedule to do another cut 11/1 . Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you for the information, it looks like you have your taper well under control. The Endgame Taper is a different beast than a regular taper. There are two major problems that come up, the dose sizes are so small they are hard to work with and even though the reductions are very small they can have a very large affect on the body. It is possible to do the Endgame Taper using the Dry Cut method, but if it is possible to cross over to using a liquid it will give much greater control over the dosing. You're already using a liquid, which will make things easier.

For Celexa the Theoretical Exit Dose, the last dose before making the jump to "0", would be 0.01mgai (milligrams active ingredient). This is not a hard and fast number, but rather a target to aim for. The more important thing is to listen to your body and follow it's dictates. We always recommend the smaller the dose the better when making the jump to "0". The Endgame Taper is much more "freeform" than a regular taper. Not that it will go faster, more that it is directed by how your body reacts to each reduction. The aim is to be as symptom free as possible before doing the next reduction.  This could involve longer holds, smaller reductions or a combination of the two. Also if symptoms are more intense a small updose and hold might be called for. It is an artform that is driven by how your body reacts and up to the individual to manage.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks for your response brassmonkey. I think that final dose you suggested may be pretty unrealistic  for me at this point. I am pretty much always symptomatic so more or less symptoms may not make much of a difference. I think I have mostly food sensitivities that have gotten worse at times and better at others. I have done a low histamine diet for years. I  am now doing a FODMAP diet. A few weeks after I had surgery this summer, I started having bad symptoms related to digestion again, mostly sinus, ringing in the ears and mild stomach discomfort. I have read a lot in this forum about this issues but haven't found much around people improving after stopping the meds. Anyhow, I'll hold for a while longer and see if my symptoms improve. 

• 1 month later...

Question:Still having symptoms of histamine sensitivity that may or may not relate to SIBO/leaky gut. I have been working with a Naturopath with a healing gut protocol. My worse symptoms (happened after surgery this summer) such as gas and bloating have improved . I'm not sure if due to FODMAP diet and/or herbal stuff. I do have mild reactions no matter what I eat during the day. At night, I have more intense reactions that affect my eyes and sinuses plus increased ringing of my ears at about 2 to 4 hours after eating. I do take a DAO supplement in the form of kidney beef capsules before dinner but it doesn't seem to make much difference in the latter part of my digestion. I am wondering if anyone has had this experience and whether you have some insight into it based on the digestive process?

• Moderator Emeritus

I suggest you do a search for the SA discussion on specific topics (eg FODMAP, histamine).  Or go to the Symptoms and Self Care forum and look for the topics there.  Check out what other members have already posted.  Once you've done that, if you haven't got the information that you are seeking, you could ask your question/s in the relevant topic/s.  Other members who have an interest in those areas are more likely to see your posts.

The best way to search is to use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

30 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I suggest you do a search for the SA discussion on specific topics (eg FODMAP, histamine).  Or go to the Symptoms and Self Care forum and look for the topics there.  Check out what other members have already posted.  Once you've done that, if you haven't got the information that you are seeking, you could ask your question/s in the relevant topic/s.  Other members who have an interest in those areas are more likely to see your posts.

The best way to search is to use an internet search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

Thanks I have done that several times about different topics. I can't find anyone that refers to this issue. I will ask about this specific issue as you suggested. txs

• Moderator Emeritus

Something that you could do.  If you find a member in one of the topics who has similar issues to you, then you go to their Introduction topic and ask them there.

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Something that you could do.  If you find a member in one of the topics who has similar issues to you, then you go to their Introduction topic and ask them there.

Thanks for the tip. I will try to do this and see if I find someone with a similar experience.

• 8 months later...

I need some advice regarding reinstament of  Celexa. I jumped at

at the end of June I might have been. confused thinking it was lower but it was undet 1 mg.I had a accelerated the 10% cut of a liquid formulation to two weeks before that for a couple of times. I have pretty serious gut issues histamine sensitivity. sibo and more I've had mild withdrawal symptoms the first couple of months but now I have more serious anxiety during digestion. My food is pretty limited at this time. Im considering reinstating and wonder what a good dose will be since I jumped at such low dose . 

6I need some advice regarding reinstament of  Celexa. I jumped at 0.015 at the end of June. I had accelerated the 10% cut of a liquid formulation to tell seeks before that for a couple of times. I have pretty serious gut issues histamine sensitivity. sibo and more I've had mild withdrawal symptoms the first couple of months but now I have more serious anxiety during digestion. My food is pretty limited at this time. Im considering reinstating and wonder what a good dode will be since I jumped at such low dose . My confusion was at the end although ml were higher than mg but is the opposite I may have jumped around 1 mg or a little under instead 

• Moderator Emeritus

Has anything else changed since you stopped taking Celexa?  It's a good idea to do an overall review of things to try to work out if it might be something else that has caused the increase in your symptoms.

Because you are not able to say exactly what dose you last took, and you have not given any schedule of the reductions and dates it makes it difficult to give you a reinstatement dose to try.

However, what is generally suggested is that you start low and increase by small amounts.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain so it would make sense to stay at one dose for 1 week before making the next increase.

The idea of reinstating is to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level, not to get rid of them completely.  When deciding about reinstating it is a good idea to consider whether you can live with your symptoms the way they currently are and just allow time for improvement to happen.

Working on your last dose being 1mg being taken at the end of June 2021, then you might try a dose anywhere from 0.1mg to 0.5mg.  Please note that I am talking in mg, not mL.  You could then try increasing by 0.1mg increments.

If you can provide more specific information for the last 3 to 4 months with dates and doses, please do, because that will make it easier for suggestions to be made.

Please update your drug signature.

2 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Has anything else changed since you stopped taking Celexa?  It's a good idea to do an overall review of things to try to work out if it might be something else that has caused the increase in your symptoms.

Because you are not able to say exactly what dose you last took, and you have not given any schedule of the reductions and dates it makes it difficult to give you a reinstatement dose to try.

However, what is generally suggested is that you start low and increase by small amounts.  It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to full level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain so it would make sense to stay at one dose for 1 week before making the next increase.

The idea of reinstating is to bring the withdrawal symptoms to a bearable level, not to get rid of them completely.  When deciding about reinstating it is a good idea to consider whether you can live with your symptoms the way they currently are and just allow time for improvement to happen.

Working on your last dose being 1mg being taken at the end of June 2021, then you might try a dose anywhere from 0.1mg to 0.5mg.  Please note that I am talking in mg, not mL.  You could then try increasing by 0.1mg increments.

If you can provide more specific information for the last 3 to 4 months with dates and doses, please do, because that will make it easier for suggestions to be made.

Please update your drug signature.

Thanks. I have worked with a dietitian and have gone to Pt and chiropractor...zMostlyhave reduce my food due to my continued reaction s...I havent had anxiety like this on 5 years when my nervous system first destabilized. I was probably at 0.60 mg when I jumped. The diet situation has been challenging. My eyes get allergies so I have light sensitivity...but all this has been there before and I haven't felt panicky. I will try 0.1 for a few days and then maybe up it to 0.2 and see how I do. 

On 8/29/2021 at 6:53 AM, gn11 said:

6I need some advice regarding reinstament of  Celexa. I jumped at 0.015 at the end of June. I had accelerated the 10% cut of a liquid formulation to tell seeks before that for a couple of times. I have pretty serious gut issues histamine sensitivity. sibo and more I've had mild withdrawal symptoms the first couple of months but now I have more serious anxiety during digestion. My food is pretty limited at this time. Im considering reinstating and wonder what a good dode will be since I jumped at such low dose . My confusion was at the end although ml were higher than mg but is the opposite I may have jumped around 1 mg or a little under instead 

I reread an old posting from 2026 and I'm exploring the possibility that some of my current symptoms are related to low lo electrolytes/dehydration...

any further thoughts? Very little of this on the forum that I can see

After a week of high ancxety and some panic I think I should reinstate. I am worried that my nervous system will get further destabilized. I jumped at 0.60 but didn't have major symptoms until 2 months later. My gut issues are worse and my anxiety is of the roof. I did start taking some electrolytes and it help the panic possibly becsuse it restore imbalance from poor eating. I will reinstate at 0. 2 mg and stay there for a while. Any further thoughts from any of the monitors? Needing some support

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you should start at a lower dose than 0.2mg.  You advised 0.6mg as your last dose after I had posted my suggestion.  And you originally said that you would try 0.1mg.

When reinstating after being off for more than a few weeks it is better to start with a test dose to see how you respond.  It is better to start very low than to risk taking too much.

I think it would be better to start with 0.05mg or less.

41 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I think you should start at a lower dose than 0.2mg.  You advised 0.6mg as your last dose after I had posted my suggestion.  And you originally said that you would try 0.1mg.

When reinstating after being off for more than a few weeks it is better to start with a test dose to see how you respond.  It is better to start very low than to risk taking too much.

I think it would be better to start with 0.05mg or less.

How do I measure such a small quantity.  I have a 1 ml syringe. 1 ml is equal to 2 mg.  This means I will be doing 0.025 ml. there is no measure that low. I just ordered I just ordered s o.5 ml but they won't be here for a while. Any suggestions?

• Moderator Emeritus

You dilute your dose.

I'm creating a liquid from my compounded Pristiq.  It depends on what dose I need what dilution I make.  The more you dilute your dose the more accurate a dose you can measure.  This is because the weaker the strength of the liquid the more you need to take.

You might find some helpful information in these topics:

how-to-calculate-dosages-and-dilutions-spreadsheets-and-calculators

how-to-make-a-liquid-from-tablets-or-capsules

tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram

Don't forget to take into account what strength your prescription liquid is.

If you need help with the calculations, please post in one or more or all of the above topics.

• Moderator Emeritus

I just did a search and found the following.  It states that the diluted prescription liquid should be consumed immediately and not kept.  However you may be able to dilute it (would probably be better to use bottled or distilled water, or if not available used boiled water which has been cooled) and keep the diluted prescription liquid in the refrigerator in a covered container for a few days.  I am sure that there are other members of SA who have done this and there are posts in the topic links provided before.

https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/3349/smpc

Edited by ChessieCat

Thank you I am already on a liquid formulation ...the one z was using was pretty old. I have another one not so old ...are you referring to diluting pills to liquid? 

I went to the acupuncurist yesterday and it took away most of the anxiety...I did this 5 years ago when I first stabilized and when I began to  taper with great success...thanks for the research I will look at it

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I am aware that you are taking prescription liquid.

The prescription liquid contains water so it can be diluted with water.

The following quotes are from the link in my last post.  NOTE the use by information.

I know it states that any left of diluted dose should be disposed of.  As we know there are many things that SA members do that are not recommended by the medical profession.  However it might be better to only use the smallest amount of the prescription liquid that you can measure to create your dose and then dispose of it.  This way you will not be concerned about the efficacy of the dose.  And I imagine that only using the smallest amount each day you would still have plenty of the prescription left after 16 weeks so it will need to be discarded anyway.

If after things are going okay you could always try keeping it for a few days covered in the fridge.

6.1 List of excipients

Methyl parahydroxybenzoate (E218)

Propyl parahydroxybenzoate (E216)

Ethanol (96%)

Hydroxyethylcellulose

Purified water

6.3 Shelf life

2 years unopened

Once the bottle is open use within 16 weeks

Once the product is diluted drink immediately

See this response by Alto to another member asking the same question:

4 hours ago, gn11 said:

Thank you I am already on a liquid formulation ...the one I was using was pretty old. I have another one not so old ...are you referring to diluting pills to liquid? 

I went to the acupuncurist yesterday and it took away most of the anxiety...I did this 5 years ago when I first stabilized and when I began to  taper with great success...thanks for the research I will look at it

I will call the compounding pharmacy and see if they can do a micro formulation. thanks I 

51 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Yes, I am aware that you are taking prescription liquid.

The prescription liquid contains water so it can be diluted with water.

The following quotes are from the link in my last post.  NOTE the use by information.

I know it states that any left of diluted dose should be disposed of.  As we know there are many things that SA members do that are not recommended by the medical profession.  However it might be better to only use the smallest amount of the prescription liquid that you can measure to create your dose and then dispose of it.  This way you will not be concerned about the efficacy of the dose.  And I imagine that only using the smallest amount each day you would still have plenty of the prescription left after 16 weeks so it will need to be discarded anyway.

If after things are going okay you could always try keeping it for a few days covered in the fridge.

See this response by Alto to another member asking the same question:

I had no idea I was supposed to disposed of the liquid formulation after 4 months. I've taken it for more than a year but in a very small quantity... anyhow a friend mentioned that the deadline dates often don't have much to do with the strength of the medicine but I worry about mold In the liquid ...the other bottle  Ihave I opened but didn't use.  It looks like I need a refill before I start again.

In another note I was reading about anxiety when eating in another thread. My gut has been ravaged for 5 years... I'm on restricted diets: low fodmap histamine and have tried to work that angle with very little success ...however the anxiety after eating has in creased ...I am going to experiment with increasing food through additional small meals.

Thank you ChessieCat for the support.

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, gn11 said:

I had no idea I was supposed to disposed of the liquid formulation after 4 months. I've taken it for more than a year but in a very small quantity... anyhow a friend mentioned that the deadline dates often don't have much to do with the strength of the medicine but I worry about mold In the liquid ...the other bottle  Ihave I opened but didn't use.  It looks like I need a refill before I start again.

Tablets seem to last well past the expiry date.  However, it is different for liquid formulations and it is better to stick to the recommended expiry date/s (unopen/after opening).

Yes, definitely get a fresh bottle of liquid before restarting.  I also think it would be a good idea to start with a very low dose to reinstate, just in case the 0.6mg dose you took was a lower dose due to deterioration.  It is impossible to know what dose you were actually taking.  It's better to start with a tiny amount and gradually increase by small amounts.  I think it would be better to wait at least 1 week after a dose increase before making another increase.

Remember that to start with you are testing the waters to see how you respond to a reintroduction of the drug.  And also remember that you aren't trying to get to feeling your best, you are trying to improve how you feel.  Compare how you feel to how you were at your worst.

I hope it goes well.

13 minutes ago, gn11 said:

I will call the compounding pharmacy and see if they can do a micro formulation.

This may end up working out more expensive than doing it the way I suggested above.  The compounded formulation may not last for the 4 months that the prescription bottle lasts.  However if you can get it at a reasonable price then it might be more convenient to get it from the compounder.

I just read that military testing showed that liquid formulations of prescription drugs can still have about 80% strength after 2 years (even when opened)..if this true I probably jumped at 0.4 more or less...

zI hear what you say about using a  new but I wonder if using the old one may not be better since it is what I was using before and my system is used to just s yhoughy.

Also did you mean diluting the smallest drop to a teaspoon of water...or more...Ill check  check some of the links ...sorry about so many questions but really struggling now...

• Moderator Emeritus

It's got nothing to do with your system being used to the old prescription liquid.

You need a new bottle and you need to get it and start your reinstatement using the fresh liquid.  DO NOT start using the old liquid.  Throw it out.

I also suggest that you DO NOT make any other changes (eg start, stop or change dose of any other medication or supplement you are taking) at the same time as commencing the reinstatement otherwise there will be more than one variable and you will not know which is causing any issues or improvement.

I do NOT know what strength your prescription liquid is but I will use the information from the previous link to explain the process.  You will need to check to see what your  liquid is and change the calculations accordingly.

Each 1ml of Citalopram Oral Drops contains 40mg of citalopram (as hydrochloride).

Each 1ml of Citalopram Oral Drops, solution contains 20 drops.

Each drop contains 2mg citalopram (as hydrochloride).

The bolded text is what you need to use.

You could add 1 drop / 2mg to 20mL water.  Each 1mL of diluted liquid will contain 0.1mg of citalopram explained below:

1 drop (= 2mg)  +  20mL water       1mL = 0.1mg       0.5mg dose take 5mL

(divide both sides by 20)                (multiply both sides by 5)                        

And for a more diluted liquids:

1 drop (= 2mg)  +  200mL water     1mL = 0.01mg     0.5mg dose take 50mL

(divide both sides by 200)              (multiply both sides by 50)

1 drop (= 2mg) + 2000mL / 2L water     1mL = 0.001mg

I've included 3 dilutions so you can see how the calculations are done.  I hope that it helps.

For each reduction remember to use the same equipment and do everything the same way.

I prefer to make my dilutions so that the smallest amount I am measuring with a syringe is 1mL.  It doesn't matter if I'm using 1L or 2L of water.  I just measure the water into a jug and then pour out some of the diluted liquid into a smaller container.

17 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

It's got nothing to do with your system being used to the old prescription liquid.

You need a new bottle and you need to get it and start your reinstatement using the fresh liquid.  DO NOT start using the old liquid.  Throw it out.

I also suggest that you DO NOT make any other changes (eg start, stop or change dose of any other medication or supplement you are taking) at the same time as commencing the reinstatement otherwise there will be more than one variable and you will not know which is causing any issues or improvement.

I do NOT know what strength your prescription liquid is but I will use the information from the previous link to explain the process.  You will need to check to see what your  liquid is and change the calculations accordingly.

The bolded text is what you need to use.

You could add 1 drop / 2mg to 20mL water.  Each 1mL of diluted liquid will contain 0.1mg of citalopram explained below:

1 drop (= 2mg)  +  20mL water       1mL = 0.1mg       0.5mg dose take 5mL

(divide both sides by 20)                (multiply both sides by 5)                        

And for a more diluted liquids:

1 drop (= 2mg)  +  200mL water     1mL = 0.01mg     0.5mg dose take 50mL

(divide both sides by 200)              (multiply both sides by 50)

1 drop (= 2mg) + 2000mL / 2L water     1mL = 0.001mg

I've included 3 dilutions so you can see how the calculations are done.  I hope that it helps.

For each reduction remember to use the same equipment and do everything the same way.

I prefer to make my dilutions so that the smallest amount I am measuring with a syringe is 1mL.  It doesn't matter if I'm using 1L or 2L of water.  I just measure the water into a jug and then pour out some of the diluted liquid into a smaller container.

Okay   mind is foggy and I'm not used to this.  my formulation Is 2 to 1 ...1.5 ml has 3 mg ...0.5 ml has 1 mg...if I want 0.01 I should  use  1mg (0.5 ml liquid) to 100 ml of water...your suggestion is cut to 0.01 right. I am taking magnesium glycinate and doing acupuncture so I can continue this? 

15 minutes ago, gn11 said:

Okay   mind is foggy and I'm not used to this.  my formulation Is 2 to 1 ...1.5 ml has 3 mg ...0.5 ml has 1 mg...if I want 0.01 I should  use  1mg (0.5 ml liquid) to 100 ml of water...your suggestion is cut to 0.01 right. I am taking magnesium glycinate and doing acupuncture so I can continue this? 

once I have this... 0.01 mg will be in 1 ml and I can use my 1 ml syringe if Im  correct