Muddles

A website dedicated to those who's lives have been affected by antiidepressants

cymbaltawithdrawal5600   
cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Nice going, Muddles!

I do wish, however, that great stuff like this were not hidden away in an area that is only visible to logged in members. I spend the majority of my time reading the site (as do many others, witness the large number of 'guests' in the online list at any given time, several members do admit to being offline lurkers) OFFLINE. I rarely check anymore to see what is posted in this area. I don't see where it would be any privacy violation were it to show up on the FB and twitter feed for SA but perhaps I don't understand.....

Her book is on pre-pub sale on Amazon (link is on her website), it comes out next month.

You know, we have over 6k members now, not all of whom are ever active on the site. I wonder how fast the tide would turn in our favor (such as combating the pharma hype for ADs) if just half of those stories were published?

Anyone need a ghostwriter? I bet there are some on this site that would be happy to fill in.... we've got more than our fair share of highly educated, learned and silver-tongued writers.

Altostrata   
Altostrata

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3243688/How-depression-pills-turned-zombie-high-flying-film-maker-ended-needing-24-hour-care-prescribed-medication-didn-t-need.html

Suffering from sleepless nights, and waking in pools of sweat - at 47 she was beginning to suffer from hot flushes associated with the menopause - she made an appointment with a private psychiatrist, who concluded she was suffering from depression. 'The world I had built was crumbling - but looking back, I don't think I was ever depressed,' she says.

Nonetheless, the psychiatrist prescribed an antidepressant, escitalopram, one of a group of widely prescribed drugs called SSRIs (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors), which effectively boost levels of serotonin, a chemical messenger that carries signals between nerve cells in the brain.

Hours after taking the first dose, Katinka felt restless and agitated, as if she needed to be in constant motion. She didn't sleep that night and, by the following day, wasn't making any sense.

'I had this overwhelming feeling of doom,' she says. 'I thought I was living inside a video game - at one point I was 100 per cent certain I'd killed the children - and I'd been filmed killing them for national TV. I thought the police were outside waiting for me.'

In fact, Katinka had taken a kitchen knife and lacerated the whole of her left arm. 'I was in hell,' she says. 'It was terrifying.'
Katinka was in hospital for three weeks, where she was prescribed a cascade of powerful drugs to treat her symptoms. As her mood worsened, her psychiatrist prescribed two more drugs - olanzapine, an antipsychotic, sertraline, an antidepressant, and switched the risperidone for fluoxetine (better known by brand name Prozac).
Katinka spent the next year in a near-catatonic state, in and out of hospital, or needing to be cared for at home.
It's difficult to reconcile her story with the neat, articulate woman sitting on the sofa as we talk. She's super-fit, and her North London home is beautifully decorated. Lily and Oscar bang about upstairs and she occasionally calls up to ask them to keep the noise down. But during her 'lost year' she became, she says, 'a stranger to everyone who loved me'.

Katinka Blackford Newman has also written a book, The Pill That Steals Lives - One Woman's Terrifying Journey to Discover the Truth About Antidepressants (published in the UK)  and has a Web site and blog to collect personal stories about death and disability caused by psychiatric drugs.

She welcomes submissions:

Do you have a story you want to share with the wider world ? Please email a synopsis of no more than 500 words, a contact number and tell me who you want to get to hear your story.  Is it your doctor, your family, local or national media? I'll do my best to guide you. Or go to the Stolen Lives section if you want to post something on this website.

E-mail her at the address shown on the lower part of this page http://www.thepillthatsteals.com/

cymbaltawithdrawal5600   
cymbaltawithdrawal5600

Deja Vu all over again - someone just posted the link to her website in the last few days, darned if I know where, but I remember posting something about her book (which is due to be published next month and is in pre pub ordering at Amazon.)

I believe it is in a member's thread and I had a blank mo and did not suggest posting it here so glad Alto did it.

nz11   
nz11

And by Professor Peter Gotzsche of the Nordic Cochrane Centre:

"This book describes in vivid detail how ordinary people can become murderers if they take antidepressant drugs and how psychiatry can destroy people. Its a catching personal testimony about what is wrong with psychiatry, its love affair with unscientific diagnoses and harmful drugs, and its blindness towards the fact that what looks like psychiatric diseases are often side effects of psychiatric drugs".

Top people endorsing what sounds like a top book.

nz11   
nz11

Thanks for posting this.

Little by little the truth comes out...

geminigirl   
geminigirl

I will check it out for sure.

btdt   
btdt

I am glad she wrote a book thanks for posting this Muddles.  

Every time we get a new book on this subject how well it is accepted by the general population is one way I grade the progress of this movement if it is indeed a movement... I tend to think it is.  We are trying to move forward so that people know the dangers of these drugs and do not take them unless they are in very dire straights.. 

had I know what could happen from taking and ssri there is not way in hell I would have taken prozac for leg pain... not a chance the more we talk the more books well accepted the more this fact will become known.  We hope. 

Has anyone read the book?  

Great title...

Daisy1   
Daisy1

I read her book, it was very interesting and gave me some hope. She is a very lucky lady.

RachelE   
RachelE

I'm beginning menopause now, while I'm withdrawing from effexor. Arrgh! What should I do? Stop the taper and hold again? If so, for how long? The symptoms come and go, they seem more intermittent than many people's when they go off this devil's drug. Perhaps I can and should tough it out.... <_<

powerback   
powerback

I emailed this lady at the time and thanked her for being so vocal about her story and told her some  back round on myself .

Nice lady

powerback   
powerback

And by Professor Peter Gotzsche of the Nordic Cochrane Centre:

"This book describes in vivid detail how ordinary people can become murderers if they take antidepressant drugs and how psychiatry can destroy people. Its a catching personal testimony about what is wrong with psychiatry, its love affair with unscientific diagnoses and harmful drugs, and its blindness towards the fact that what looks like psychiatric diseases are often side effects of psychiatric drugs".

Top people endorsing what sounds like a top book.

LOVE this man peter .he is more than capable of taking up the fight from peter breggin who is getting older these days but still has plenty of fight still in himself.

Mr Gotzsche was on peters radio show for 4 weeks in a row recently .It was brilliant .