SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Controversial Mental Health Bill to be Voted after Holiday

UnfoldingSky

House to Vote on Murphy Bill After Holiday

In The News July 4, 2016

The House of Representatives is slated to vote on Congressman Tim Murphy's controversial mental health reform bill immediately following the July 4th holiday.

Follow the link here to find more info:

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/07/house-to-vote-on-murphy-bill-after-holiday/

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

From the sounds of the comments it seems people in the US who do not support this will only have Tuesday July 5 to call to express their opposition.

Also for more information there are a lot of other posts about the Murphy Bill that can be found on the Mad in America website, just search the bill name.

Here's another recent one:

https://www.madinamerica.com/2016/06/a-call-to-action-the-murphy-bill-passed-the-ec-committee-but-the-fight-is-not-over/

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

Yup, today is the only day to call.  

Just called mine whose support of the bill is unknown so hopefully, he is getting alot of calls in opposition.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

An update blog entry and some great talking points when calling or writing your congressperson.   

Even if you feel cognitively impaired, do it and focus on one key point you want to get across.   I have cognitive issues and made the call.  It wasn't so bad.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/07/hr-2636-coming-to-a-vote/#comment-90804

Oops I meant to write "voted on", too late to change it!

I really hope this doesn't go through.  Thanks for posting the other link and glad to hear you made the call comp!

I don't usually pay attention to the news so had no idea this is going on. Thanks for bringing this up!

An update blog entry and some great talking points when calling or writing your congressperson.   

Even if you feel cognitively impaired, do it and focus on one key point you want to get across.   I have cognitive issues and made the call.  It wasn't so bad.

http://www.madinamerica.com/2016/07/hr-2636-coming-to-a-vote/#comment-90804

Thanks for the link! The part about anosognosia is particularly disturbing. 

No problem anonymous. And I found the bit about anosognosia really disturbing too. 

From what I read in the comments it sounds like the vote takes place at 2pm, so you may be able to get through tomorrow morning if you are interested and haven't done so already.

From what I read in the comments it sounds like the vote takes place at 2pm, so you may be able to get through tomorrow morning if you are interested and haven't done so already.

Bumping this thread for people who haven't called and still want to do so.

Just saw news online that Murphy's Bill was passed.

Saw that and I feel sick although I guess I shouldn't be surprised.   Apparently, a separate senate bill passed previously so the two have to be reconciled. Not sure if the Senate Bill is better or not so I guess we'll have to watch for that.

Would love to know how my congressman voted but I guess it is too soon to find out.

Just saw news online that Murphy's Bill was passed.

I figured it probably would.  I feel sick at the thought...

Vote was 400 to 2.  I am absolutely stunned.

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh shoot!!!!!  It WAS the new version of the Murphy bill and passed.......2646.  I tried to get some more information awhile back.  Even looked at the parts of the bill that had been changed.  I've got to say that reading through what I found online was an experience.  Of the bill itself.  Sections were crossed out(but could still read) and then some were highlighted a bit(the most recent changes).  It was long and it was difficult to see just where forced drugging and forced programs(keeping folks in outpatient programs against their will) was.  That good old legalese type of language and more.

So no, I did not call any of my representatives to vote against it.  Does Mad in America have an e-mail campaign person who notifies when this stuff comes up?  NAMI sure does.  But they don't get into explaining much about what they ask you to support.  So.........I have learned..........try to read the bill or whatever is out there myself.........look at the "other side of the coin".........meaning..........the opposing view.............and then decide what to do.  In this case, all I could do was observe and follow.

So thank you for posting UnfoldingSky.  And anonymous as well for some talking points.  Unfortunately I didn't see this post until today.

The saddest part.........to me..........is that families do want it, this kind of bill to pass.........and do support it..........as they have NO OTHER OPTIONS available for their family members who are sometimes out of control.  Little do they know of how they are now becoming part of their family members long term difficulty and over drugging and chronicity(of staying labeled and ill).  They, the family members, are pretty burnt out.

Sooo.........it's complicated......pretty complicated.  I do see better mental health care changes all the time though.  Small........but I agree with Marsha above.  It's not always going to be this way.

A sad day indeed!   OOF(like a kick in the gut)............OOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi Manymoretodays,

Unfortunately, I have to respectfully disagree with you and Marsha about things getting better with mental health care legislation with a 400-2 vote.     In my opinion, the Treatment Advocacy Center, which is pushing this BS with their lies about the mentally ill being violent, is very well politically organized.   Until opponents come up with a coherent message to match that, things will continue to be the same.

By the way, I don't have any brilliant ideas.   However, someone on the MIA site said that comparing this situation to rounding up Japanese Americans during World War II might be a good comparison.   I don't know but it seems worth looking into.

And the media coverage is horrible.   Just look at the Boston Globe spotlight stories that give rise to the stereotype of all people with mental illness as being violent.

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes compsports, the legislation does really stink big time.  I was referring more to the "in general" mental health care that I have seen being done in better ways.  That I'm learning about and practicing when and where I can.  My own experiences and those of others.  It's not great nor perfect nor holding all our values dear, but it is better in some ways.  People like you and I getting into some of the systems, and not only being heard and listened to but providing at least.......at the very least.......some hope and comfort to those being mistreated and perpetually stigmatized as something less than.

It's not all going to change real quick.  For me, best to remain optimistic though and grateful that it wasn't worse for me...........sheesh, I've heard stories and met people and, and, and.........

This bill 2626 though........passing in the way it did..........oh man, I hear you!!!!!!  And all the rest of the BS that persists...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ugh, ooof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway......I wasn't referring to the legislation or media coverage at all.  Just some stuff that I have personally noticed and experienced.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Having trouble editing my last post. Marsha's post is now gone.....but no, I don't agree with this new legislation....and wish I had been better informed and could have contacted my legislators. Many will suffer due to it. Nor I, compsports.....nor I....on having any realistic or brilliant ideas for fixing this one or changing the media coverage and NAMI and everyone else who thinks this is a good thing.

• Moderator Emeritus

2646 was the bill #........correction.

Thanks for clarifying manymoretodays.   Unfortunately, it looks like contacting legislators wouldn't have mattered with the 400-2 vote for the legislation.   Now I understand why people are so disenchanted with politics.

• Moderator Emeritus

Inipi today.......sweat lodge.  I put it out there.........  :mellow: