SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sheri755: Effexor XR Reinstatement Amount?

Sheri755

So thankful to find this group! Will you please tell me what dosage of Effexor XR to reinstate with? I've been off since April. Someone who is holistic minded, but not a psychiatrist, suggested that I reinstate at 37.5. I did take it yesterday and now reading the posts, it may be too high. She said to see how I'm feeling today. (Diarrhea has begun now ...and still very depressed, paranoia and anxiety.). She suggested one of three things. 1) Take another 37.5---(2) skip a day ---(3) take 1/2 of the 37.5. I'm not functioning well and in bed most of the time. I don't know what to do. Thank you all so much!

Effexor XR 300 (brand) mg & various SSRIs 15 yrs (Effexor XR 300 mg past 10 yrs

Clonazepam, 1.0 mg. am, .5 mg pm. - 15 yrs, 7-17-16- Began .5 three times a day

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

7-14-16-Reinstated 5 beads Effx after 4 mths misery.Pooped out 10 days.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

10-30-16- Began 15% liquid tapering of 30 mg Vyvanse. (25 mg)

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

11-20-16- Switched back to 1.0 clonazepam am & .5 bedtime

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sheri755

• JanCarol

• scallywag

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Sheri755, welcome to SA.  I'm glad you found us :-)

It would help us greatly if you could give us more background.

How long had you been on Effexor, and what was your highest dose?

What dose did you come off from?  Did you cold turkey or taper?  If you tapered, what did that process look like in terms of size of cuts and length of time between cuts?

You have been off for approximately three months?

In addition to answering these questions, please fill out your signature block with a summary of this information:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

We really need to know this information in order to help determine what an appropriate reinstatement dose would be.  Skipping doses is NOT supported by SA, nor is alternating dosages.  It is all too destabilizing for the nervous system in addition to what yours is going through from coming off too fast to begin with.

I am going to give you a pile of links that will give you a good foundation of understanding as you move forward.

Introduction to AD Withdrawal Syndrome

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Symptoms Checklist

Neuro Emotions

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

Are you on any other medications?  If so, please list all of them in your signature and put them in the drug interaction checker.  Copy and paste the results here in your intro.

Drug Interactions Checker

Are you taking any supplements?  There are two that we find to be helpful:  Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil

Have a read through and come back here with questions.  Your intro thread is the place to ask questions about your particular situation, give progress reports, and generally document your journey.  Bookmark this page to find it more easily, as it will get buried in the Intro forum as people post.

Hope to see you back here soon!  We'll get you squared away :-)

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Here is the info needed to help me with this.  I took the 37.5 mg. Effexor XR (brand) at 4 pm yesterday before reading this info and need to know how much to take today and the days ahead.

I have been off of Effexor XR (brand) for approximately 3 months.  

10 years on EFFEXOR XR brand. 15 yrs on antidepressants. Initial dose 150, then doctor bumped it up to 300 mg which I was on the majority of the time. Started taper from 300 mg for over a year and did just fine until I got some misinformation. A pharmacist informed me that the fillers in Effexor XR brand are NOT encapsulated in each bead which would make it impossible to distinguish between filler beads and medication beads. I now know that this is not true. I did just fine during the taper with no side effects.  I'm sorry that I didn't keep a record of how long I held at each reduction.

I held at 37.5 for about 3 months. My doctor said to half them (37.5) for 2 weeks then stop. I did. Two weeks post is when WD kicked in. Depression, anxiety, crying. I'm not able to drive and in bed most of the time. I feel that I'm in protracted withdrawal and fearful to try IR Effexor since I'm so far past the 0 mark. Would I be doing additional harm at this point?  The 37.5 that I took yesterday gave me diarrhea (which I did have trouble with at the higher dose of Effexor XR)
I would so welcome your thoughts and any feedback from others.  

Medications that I am currently on:  Vyvanse 30 mg, Clonazepam 1.5 mg, (Starting today Metoprolol ER 50 mg for racing heart)  Also bio-identical hormones and various supplements. 500 mg L- Tyrosine and 50 mg 5htp.

Is it too late (almost 4 pm here) to take whatever amount that you recommend or should I skip taking a dose of Effexor today?

Drug interactions:  

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major venlafaxine  lisdexamfetamine

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)

Talk to your doctor before using venlafaxine together with lisdexamfetamine. Venlafaxine may increase the effects of lisdexamfetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Moderate metoprolol  clonazepam

Applies to: Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol), clonazepam

Metoprolol and clonazePAM may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam  venlafaxine

Applies to: clonazepam, Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Using clonazePAM together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Thank you so very much!

Vyvanse 60 mg, - 2 yrs, Cut to 50 mg for 6 mths, Cut to 30 mg. on 4-1-16. Tapering.

Approx. 4-1-15 began Effexor XR 300 taper, very slowly for a year. Held at 37.5 for about 3 mths. Cut to 18 mg for 2 wks to 0. WD began 2 wks later. Depression, anxiety, paranoia, low appetite, nausea.

9-12-16-to present- Wide eyed terror, bedridden fear, no appetite/feeling of being full.

11-13-16- Liquid Vyvanse 22 mg,11-27-16- Liquid 15 mg, 12-12-16- Vyvanse 12.5 for 5 days. 12-16 - 12-29, 15 mg.

12-30-16- Moved to 15 mg COMPOUNDED Vyvanse.Current 4/11-4/25 7.5 mg.(10% ev 2 wks) Off Vyvanse

Current meds:Effexor XR- 3 Beads, Clonazepam-1.0 mg am, .5 mg bedtime,Vyvanse-(tapering) Estradiol- 2

mg,Progesterone 200 mg,Testosterone 30 mg/ml,Nature Throid- 48.75 mg.(12-21-16-65 mg.) (4-18-17-81.25 mg) Current supplements: Fish Oil-1360 mg, Curamin- 2706 mg.

Hi SG,

I'm not thinking as clearly as I once did. Checking to see if I left something out. It's so comforting to hear that there will be help to get everything squared away! I will not take any Effexor tonight. How much, if any, do you think I should take starting tomorrow?

Thanks Again!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sheri, thank you for providing the information SG asked for.you are right that 37.5 is too high. It could take a while for the effects of the 37.5 to lessen, are there any other symptoms since taking it or anything that has become worse?. I would try 5 beads from a capsule and see how you get on. Often that tiny dose is enough to calm the withdrawal. Your nervous system is struggling and we can't tolerate the same amounts of the drug because we can become sensitive to it. If it helps, you would be able to taper off that tiny dose, if it doesn't help or helps a little but still have severe symptoms it could be increased very gradually. Just 4 beads worked well for me!n Could you tell us about the clonazepam and how you take it? Regularly or as needed? Sometimes doses need to be adjusted because of the half life. Not the daily amount, but the number of doses in a day. Also your symptom pattern, when you feel symptoms are worse during the day.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hi mamaP, Thank you so much. I take 1.0 clonazepam every morning and .5 mg at bedtime daily. I've been on this for 15 yrs. My symptoms pattern is a little sporadic although mornings are very bad. Nearly every morning upon awakening my chest feels heavy and my heart is racing. Usually deep breathing helps. Metropolol ER 50 mg. was called today in to help with this but I haven't taken it yet. The paranoia is really bad. Before bedtime seems to be the best and I can sometimes feel my appetite returning then. Sleep has been good except for last night with the diarrhea. I also noticed restless leg syndrome returned last night about 6 hrs after taking it but that's at the bottom of my list. Right now I feel calmer. It's 8 pm. I took 50 mg htp an hour ago. Maybe that helped. Do you think there is a risk of seratonin syndrome by taking 100 mg htp and 1,000 mg L-Tyrosine morning and night with the small amount of beads of Effexor? I don't know if it's a good idea or not to stop the Vyvanse. As a stimulant, it may not be helping the anxiety?

Should I start the 5 beads tomorrow?

I will add a short version to my signature. Thanks again so very much.

• Moderator Emeritus

I would hold off taking the metropolol for now, and don't stop vyvanse until we have more details   

Yes I would start the 5 beads right away.

It is common to feel better as the day wears on with withdrawal but what you are describing in the morning sounds like clonazepam interdose withdrawal. 

I have some more questions if that is ok.

Do you feel any  better after taking the 1mg clonazepam?  

How long have you been taking vyvanse? 

Do you take l-tyrosine and 5HTP regularly?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I've been taking Vyvanse for almost 3 yrs. It really helped with motivation and depression while on Effexor. I started at 60 mg but have tapered to 30 mg for about 3 mths. Some days it does give me a little mood boost. My heart rate has been high for a couple of years and hoping the reduction and eventually stopping will help.
No, unfortunately I don't feel better during the day after the clonazepam. I've been taking 50-100 mg of 5htp and 500-1000 mg of L-Tyrosine sporadically for a month because I'm so paranoid. Also L-Theanine once a day. The pics are what my neurofeedback dr gave me to take 3 times a day between meals. I've been scared to take these regularly also. :(
I've ordered the magnesium recommended and will stop the L-Threonate form. Looks like I need to take more... and do you think I should take the recommended amount of fish oil if I've never experienced brain zaps?
Also, I took 5 beads out of a 37.7 Effexor. I suppose the beads are the same strength as 75, 150 and 300 mg. I just put them on my tongue but is there a better way?
This probably sounds silly but is there a risk of seratonin syndrome with the beads and 200 mg of 5htp divided in two doses a daily?
Thank you so much for helping. Well, I thought I could post a pic. They are Health Concerns Ease 2 and Calm Spirit. Chinese herbs.

Edited to highlight info. 

Oh, I thought I left something out. How many days should I take 5 beads, hold, etc?

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the info Sheri, it has been helpful.   There are a few things that will be contributing to your symptoms. 

L tyrosene has heart palpitations listed as a side effect, along with other side effects that will not be helping your withdrawal. It is  a stimulant and causes anxiety too. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6679-be-careful-with-l-tyrosine/

Here is our topic on 5HTP,  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9933-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan/( Please read the whole topics as they are sometimes updated. )

People discuss their experiences with L theanine  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1032-l-theanine-for-anxiety-insomnia/

You should add the supplements to the interactions checker as they can interact too. 

Fish oil is good for everyone and has recently been proven to help repair brain injuries and many of us find it helps withdrawal, even without brain zaps. 

You reduced your vyvanse by 50% , how long did you taper for? It isn't clear if you tapered for 3 months or have been taking 30mg for 3 months.  Vyvanse is a stimulant which is addictive and needs careful tapering too, you could be suffering vyvanse withdrawal from the 50%  taper if it was recent. 

You will need to stay at 5 beads  to allow your nervous system to stabilise, it will take time but will get better. When you are stable you can start to taper off that small amount.  Let us know if you feel any better, or any worse after a few days. 

I am going to ask the benzo experts if you might benefit from even doses of clonazepam.  We want to help you feel better and sometimes changing how and when a drug is taken can make a huge difference. 

2002  effexor. 

I just now ordered this. It's not too late to cancel if you don't think it would be good to take. http://www.greenpasture.org/public/Products/CodLiverOil/

• Moderator Emeritus

It looks like a very expensive fish oil! I take regular fish oil capsules from the pharmacy and they are fine.Mint sounds tasty though :) 

2002  effexor. 

Thank you, MamaP!  I have been seeing a neurofeedback doctor and have close to 30 sessions now.  About half of the treatments have helped and the newly trained brain waves do sometimes hold for two to four days.  But, I'm now concerned that neurofeedback may be too agressive for my brain now.  What are your thoughts on this?  I have another appointment Thursday but can cancel if this is counter productive.

I was concerned about the Vit D3 in the fish oil.  I've been reading forums all afternoon!  :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I haven't tried neurofeedback but have thought about it for sleep issues, We have a topic for that too, some have had benefits and some have felt worse. http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2609-neurofeedback/

2002  effexor. 

Thank you for all of the links!  I read the 5HTP link this afternoon.  So informative!!  I will definitely read the other links as well.

I'm so sorry that I wasn't clear about my Vyvanse taper.  I'm learning just how very important it is to give as much information as possible.  I dropped to 50 mg for three months from 60 mg and have been on 30 mg, I believe for three months, as well.  Some days I have poured a tiny bit out of the 30 mg capsules.

Okay, I will stay at five beads and let you know.  Thank you for checking with the benzo site about the clonazepam dosage.  Should I post the results of my supplement interactions on my profile or here?  I've been taking a ton of supplements!!

I have been taking the 5 HTP (50 mg) and L-Tyrosine (100 mg) two times a day and doubled the dose for about three days last week.  I haven't taken any Tyrosine for about four days, only the 5 HTP and dropped back to 50 mg two times a day, I think it was on Sunday.  I've just started keeping a journal today!!

Oh wow, I'll read the neurofeedback topic also.  He says that neurofeedback is more effective when medication free but if a patient feels too uncomfortable, he would rather them come in medicated than not having treatment at all.  He also treats football players with traumatic brain injuries and many children with ADHD.  He said that my brain resembled that of a traumatic brain injured person!!  Also the clonazepam is causing alot of static and may be contributing to the ineffectiveness of some of the treatments.

Thank you again so very much!  I'm so glad that I found SA!! :wub:

• Moderator Emeritus

You must keep the vyvanse dosing steady while you are trying to stabilise. All drugs and doses need to be regular, at the same times and doses every day to become stable, varying the doses leads to more instability. When you are stabilised we can work out the best way forward for you and what needs tapering for you to recover. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

Supplements can slow down  recovery, we tend to think they are healthy because they are natural but with an unstable nervous system they can complicate things. It is best to keep things as simple as possible, but don't just stop any that have been taken for a long time, they will need tapering too, but probably not as slow as the drugs. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sheri, welcome to SA - I'm sorry you've been struggling.

My ears perked up when I heard "chinese supplements" - as they are always complex herbs and if you have a reaction, it's hard to know what you are reacting to.

I looked at the supplements, the Ease Plus seemed a pretty simple digestive aid but the Calm one had a little taurine, and lots and lots of herbs - any of which might be stimulating or paradoxical.  If you can, if it were me, I'd leave this one alone for awhile.  Just take Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil  

As for the cod liver oil, it, too, is a compound which includes vitamin A and D3 - which means you might react to the D3, even while you are receiving benefit from the fish oil.  Read the fish oil thread to find that - the most expensive ones are not always the best ones!  (and simple is always better)

3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable

Neurofeedback - I think it would be better to be asymptomatic - not having withdrawal symptoms - before you go in for a "brain fiddle."  My bro-in-law swears by neurofeedback, and insists on certification with a certain international board of neurofeedback peoples (but I had a computer crash and lost that email, sorry).  So at least ask for "affiliation and certification."  There are a few ma 'n' pa neurofeedbackers who might not have verifiable standards.

Anyhow, if it were me, and I were going to sit in a chair that was going to do anything to my brain, even if it were a soothing thing, I would want to be not in withdrawal before I sat down.  Bro-in-law claims that it can enhance "coherence" and "clarity" and lots of other things, but that it can also be disorienting.  This makes me think that if you have any risk of http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealizationdepersonalization/ it may not be for you - yet.

We have a few people here who have been helped in by neurofeedback later in recovery - I'd just be hesitant to do it if I were having withdrawal symptoms that were interfering with my functioning.  Wait until you feel better?

A few of these neurofeedback guys understand about withdrawal, but many of them are similar to the biochemical guys - with a different set of tools.  Admittedly, they are non-drug tools, but they also claim to "balance" imbalances.  

Anyhow, that's lots to think about, and doesn't even address your drugs, so I'll just agree with the above suggestions to hold at 5 beads and don't change your prescription drugs, though you may want to gently, slowly, one-at-a-time adjust your supplements to a simpler regime.

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol, Thanks so much for the info!! I've been really struggling, trying to tough it out after coming off too fast at the end. He's a reputable neurofeedback dr but I agree, I don't think he understands a protracted withdrawal brain.

I have been sleeping well but for the first time last night I woke up at 2 am after going to sleep at 11:30 pm.after taking my usual ProCaps Nighttime capsules (2) I took a L Tyrosine and slept two more hours, tried deep breathing and finally gave in to .75 Clonazepam, sleeping another hour. This is something new.

5-Htp- I will start reducing the 50 mg twice a day dose today to once a day.

Current Supplements- I will put all of them in the drug interaction and

would reducing one supplement a week be a good protocol?

Magnesium Glycinate-Doctor's Best 100 mg tablets. I took 100 mg about an hour ago and

I'm guessing another 100 mg this afternoon and at bedtime.

Magnesium L-Theronate- Mercola. I'll reduce to one capsule once a day.

Fish Oil- I'll reduce Mercola Krill Oil to one capsule a day instead of two and purchase the recommended fish oil.

Should I start slowly on the new fish oil?

5 beads- I'm about to take my second dose of 5 beads. I'm afraid they may get stuck between my teeth. Is there a good way to insure that they all get down my throat okay? They're so tiny!

Truly, I don't know what I'd do without you guys. I will definitely continue to donate to this amazing group. I suppose I would be in the hospital if I hadn't found SA.

• Administrator

Welcome, Sheri.

Please take the Effexor beads with water or juice to get them into your stomach. If you let them dissolve on your tongue, you'll get immediate-release Effexor and it may not last the whole day.

I agree with mammaP, the morning symptoms sound like interdose withdrawal from clonazepam. Please go to our benzo forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/to discuss this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto,  I've read so many of your posts.  You and your staff are very wise and I couldn't be more grateful!

I believe mamaP is checking into the clonazepam:

Thanks for the info Sheri, it has been helpful.   There are a few things that will be contributing to your symptoms. 

L tyrosene has heart palpitations listed as a side effect, along with other side effects that will not be helping your withdrawal. It is  a stimulant and causes anxiety too. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6679-be-careful-with-l-tyrosine/

Here is our topic on 5HTP,  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9933-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-l-tryptophan/( Please read the whole topics as they are sometimes updated. )

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1032-l-theanine-for-anxiety-insomnia/

You should add the supplements to the interactions checker as they can interact too. 

Fish oil is good for everyone and has recently been proven to help repair brain injuries and many of us find it helps withdrawal, even without brain zaps. 

You reduced your vyvanse by 50% , how long did you taper for? It isn't clear if you tapered for 3 months or have been taking 30mg for 3 months.  Vyvanse is a stimulant which is addictive and needs careful tapering too, you could be suffering vyvanse withdrawal from the 50%  taper if it was recent. 

You will need to stay at 5 beads  to allow your nervous system to stabilise, it will take time but will get better. When you are stable you can start to taper off that small amount.  Let us know if you feel any better, or any worse after a few days. 

I am going to ask the benzo experts if you might benefit from even doses of clonazepam.  We want to help you feel better and sometimes changing how and when a drug is taken can make a huge difference. 

Also, is it ok to put the beads into an empty veggie capsule?  I have a bag of these that I got off of Amazon for essential oil use.

I am out of bed today, even after the rough night last night.  Showered, washed my hair and even cleaned my kitty's drinking water fountain!  I know she loves me for that!!  I'm about to enter all of the supplements that I've been taking in the drug interaction link as recommended.  I wonder if the 5 beads are already helping or if it's the magnesium gycinate.  

I can't thank you enough!

Hey Sheri, welcome to SA - I'm sorry you've been struggling.

My ears perked up when I heard "chinese supplements" - as they are always complex herbs and if you have a reaction, it's hard to know what you are reacting to.

I looked at the supplements, the Ease Plus seemed a pretty simple digestive aid but the Calm one had a little taurine, and lots and lots of herbs - any of which might be stimulating or paradoxical.  If you can, if it were me, I'd leave this one alone for awhile.  Just take Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil  

As for the cod liver oil, it, too, is a compound which includes vitamin A and D3 - which means you might react to the D3, even while you are receiving benefit from the fish oil.  Read the fish oil thread to find that - the most expensive ones are not always the best ones!  (and simple is always better)

3 KIS's Keep It Simple, Slow, Stable

Neurofeedback - I think it would be better to be asymptomatic - not having withdrawal symptoms - before you go in for a "brain fiddle."  My bro-in-law swears by neurofeedback, and insists on certification with a certain international board of neurofeedback peoples (but I had a computer crash and lost that email, sorry).  So at least ask for "affiliation and certification."  There are a few ma 'n' pa neurofeedbackers who might not have verifiable standards.

Anyhow, if it were me, and I were going to sit in a chair that was going to do anything to my brain, even if it were a soothing thing, I would want to be not in withdrawal before I sat down.  Bro-in-law claims that it can enhance "coherence" and "clarity" and lots of other things, but that it can also be disorienting.  This makes me think that if you have any risk of http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1766-derealizationdepersonalization/ it may not be for you - yet.

We have a few people here who have been helped in by neurofeedback later in recovery - I'd just be hesitant to do it if I were having withdrawal symptoms that were interfering with my functioning.  Wait until you feel better?

A few of these neurofeedback guys understand about withdrawal, but many of them are similar to the biochemical guys - with a different set of tools.  Admittedly, they are non-drug tools, but they also claim to "balance" imbalances.  

Anyhow, that's lots to think about, and doesn't even address your drugs, so I'll just agree with the above suggestions to hold at 5 beads and don't change your prescription drugs, though you may want to gently, slowly, one-at-a-time adjust your supplements to a simpler regime.

I decided to cancel my neurofeedback appointment and won't be going back.  Wish I had the $3,600 back that I spent on this!!  30 sessions at $120 each!!  Dang...we are officially poor!!

Here are the supplements that I added.

Here are the ones that are not on their list:

Dr. Mercola Zinc Complex

Dr. Mercola Magnesium L-Threonate

Dr. Mercola Vitamin K2

Bio-identical Thyroid 32.5 mg caps

Bio-identical Testosterone Cream 8 GM, 30 MG/ML

Bio-identical Progesterone - 200 mg

Bio-identical Thyroid oral

Estradiol 2 mg

Terry Naturally Curamin BCM-95 3,600 mg daily for spondylolisthesis

Vitamin B12 with B6 & Folic Acid 1,000 Methylcobalamim sublingual

MegaFood Zinc 450 mg from whole foods

Procaps NightTime with Melatonin, Valerian Root, Hops, PassionFlower & Chamomile

Welcome, Sheri.

Please take the Effexor beads with water or juice to get them into your stomach. If you let them dissolve on your tongue, you'll get immediate-release Effexor and it may not last the whole day.

I agree with mammaP, the morning symptoms sound like interdose withdrawal from clonazepam. Please go to our benzo forum http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-tapering-discussion/to discuss this.

I sure will. Thank you!!

Here are the ones that are not on their list:

Dr. Mercola Zinc Complex

Dr. Mercola Vitamin K2

Estradiol 2 mg

Procaps NightTime with Melatonin, Valerian Root, Hops, PassionFlower & Chamomile

Well shoot, I entered all the supplements I'm taking that's in their data base but it didn't save. Guess I'll try again tomorrow.

• Moderator Emeritus

I decided to cancel my neurofeedback appointment and won't be going back.  Wish I had the $3,600 back that I spent on this!!  30 sessions at $120 each!!  Dang...we are officially poor!!

Oh dear, can't you just delay it?

Like put it off for 6 months to a year, that this is "not a good time" for you?

Why would you "not go back"?

Egads, I'm hoping that this was not just based on what I told you, I think it could be of benefit - but later -  when your symptoms have settled?

Fish Oil- I'll reduce Mercola Krill Oil to one capsule a day instead of two and purchase the recommended fish oil.

The krill oil is not harmful (if you can tolerate it), and the same with the threonate.  The reason I only take one threonate a day is because, well, it costs 3-5x as much as glycinate!  You can start up the fish oil while you are finishing off the krill, that's fine.

The main alarm bells for me on your supplements is the 5HtP, the complex Chinese (Calm) one, the NightTime ProCaps (valerian interacts with Effexor and clonazepam)  I'll do another post with your interactions.

Re:  Effexor:

Also, is it ok to put the beads into an empty veggie capsule? 

Yes, you can put your beads in a gelcap, that's a great idea!  (after all, they came in a gelcap to start with, right?)

Back in a flash with some (though it may not be complete) interactions.

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Herbs and aminos are serious business, there are threads here devoted to people having reactions to them.

There is an Aussie doctor who actively looks for Valerian because it is so commonly put in sleep preparations, and can cause quite shocking interactions with SSRI's & SNRI's (something about liver enzymes and metabolism).

The 5HtP is the big worry, though:

Major venlafaxine  5-hydroxytryptophan

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Using 5-hydroxytryptophan together with venlafaxine is generally not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)

Talk to your doctor before using venlafaxine together with lisdexamfetamine. Venlafaxine may increase the effects of lisdexamfetamine, and side effects such as jitteriness, nervousness, anxiety, restlessness, and racing thoughts have been reported. Combining these medications can also increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Applies to: clonazepam, Effexor (venlafaxine)

Using clonazePAM together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate clonazepam  valerian

Applies to: clonazepam, valerian

Using clonazePAM together with valerian may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate venlafaxine  valerian

Applies to: Effexor (venlafaxine), valerian

Using venlafaxine together with valerian may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Coming off of supplements, you can go faster.  I would taper the 5HtP, and get off it pretty quickly.  Say, reduce it every 3 days or so?

Other supplements, like herbs, (except for St. John's wort) can be discontinued, but you may want to do so gently.

Make one change at a time, so that you can feel if there is a difference. 

You may find that you were spending money you didn't need to - or - you may also find that the thing you were taking was making you feel worse.  Or, you may find that you sleep better with a certain supplement.

But the 5HtP and Valerian are problematic.  Slow and steady, you will be holding at 5 beads for awhile if you can, this is a good time to gradually sneak out those supplements.  Try and sneak them out so that your system doesn't notice.  Nice and slow, gently, gradually. 

By the end of the month you should be on a simpler regime.

It does, already, sound as though you've been feeling better since reinstating your 5 beads.  Would you ever have believed that those 5 tiny beads could be so powerful before, when you were taking whole capsules full of them?  It's an eye opener, for sure.

I hope you see the Sun today.

Note: the following drug(s) could not be checked for interactions: l-theanine

Major venlafaxine  5-hydroxytryptophan

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan)

Using 5-hydroxytryptophan together with venlafaxine is generally not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine), Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)

Applies to: clonazepam, Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.

Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. ALWAYS consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs and diseases that your selected drugs interact with Interactions between your selected drugs and food
Moderate venlafaxine  food

Applies to: Effexor XR (venlafaxine)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of venlafaxine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with venlafaxine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of venlafaxine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate lisdexamfetamine  food

Applies to: Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine)

Using lisdexamfetamine together with alcohol can increase the risk of cardiovascular side effects such as increased heart rate, chest pain, or blood pressure changes. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with lisdexamfetamine. Let your doctor know if you experience severe or frequent headaches, chest pain, and/or a fast or pounding heartbeat. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Minor estradiol  food

Applies to: estradiol

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed. 

For clinical details see professional interaction data.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication CNS drugs

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'CNS drugs' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes four medicines belonging to the 'CNS drugs' category:

• clonazepam
  • 5-hydroxytryptophan (active ingredient in 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan))
  • venlafaxine (active ingredient in Effexor XR (venlafaxine))
  • lisdexamfetamine (active ingredient in Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine))

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication Hormones

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'hormones' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes four medicines belonging to the 'hormones' category:

• estradiol
  • progesterone
  • testosterone (active ingredient in testosterone topical)
  • dehydroepiandrosterone (active ingredient in DHEA (dehydroepiandrosterone))

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication Vitamins and minerals

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'vitamins and minerals' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes five medicines belonging to the 'vitamins and minerals' category:

• iodine
  • multivitamin
  • vitamin e
  • cyanocobalamin (active ingredient in Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin))
  • cholecalciferol (active ingredient in Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol))

Duplication Nutritionals

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'nutritionals' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes six medicines belonging to the 'nutritionals' category:

• iodine
  • multivitamin
  • vitamin e
  • omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (active ingredient in Omega 3-6-9 Complex (omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids))
  • cyanocobalamin (active ingredient in Vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin))
  • cholecalciferol (active ingredient in Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol))

Duplication Androgens

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'androgens' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'androgens' category:

Duplication Anabolic hormones

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'anabolic hormones' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'anabolic hormones' category:

Duplication Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• 5-hydroxytryptophan (active ingredient in 5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan))
  • venlafaxine (active ingredient in Effexor XR (venlafaxine))

These are not in their data base: 

Dr. Mercola Zinc Complex

Dr. Mercola Vitamin K2

Estradiol 2 mg

Oh dear, can't you just delay it?

Like put it off for 6 months to a year, that this is "not a good time" for you?

Why would you "not go back"?

Egads, I'm hoping that this was not just based on what I told you, I think it could be of benefit - but later -  when your symptoms have settled?

The krill oil is not harmful (if you can tolerate it), and the same with the threonate.  The reason I only take one threonate a day is because, well, it costs 3-5x as much as glycinate!  You can start up the fish oil while you are finishing off the krill, that's fine.

The main alarm bells for me on your supplements is the 5HtP, the complex Chinese (Calm) one, the NightTime ProCaps (valerian interacts with Effexor and clonazepam)  I'll do another post with your interactions.

Re:  Effexor:

Also, is it ok to put the beads into an empty veggie capsule? 

Yes, you can put your beads in a gelcap, that's a great idea!  (after all, they came in a gelcap to start with, right?)

Back in a flash with some (though it may not be complete) interactions.

Hi JanCarol,  I have already had all of the sessions, bought and paid for!  I just have to forgive myself.  I'm so blessed to have such an understanding husband <3

Clonazepam - I changed the dosage to .75 am, .25 at 4 pm and .5 at bedtime.  The dosage for several years has been 1.0 in the morning and .5 at bedtime.  I may have misunderstood MamaP thinking that she was going to check with the benzo group about the dosage of my clonazepam.  I'm doing alot of that these days, for sure!!  Should I go to the benzo site as Alto recommended or reach out to her to see what she found out?

L-Threonate - Do you think that this form may be more beneficial.  I read that it crosses the blood brain barrier but does it produce the calmness that the glycinate is supposed to?  I'm having trouble with diarrhea.  Could the glycinate be causing that?  It seems to be worse today.  Maybe 50 mg three times a day instead of 100?  I have alot of Dr. Mercola's L-Threonate also. How much and how many times a day do you think I should take this instead of the glicinate.....either is fine....just afraid of messing something up!!

5-HTP  I sporadically took 50-100 mg twice a day for about a month.  Should I start tapering at 50 mg once daily for a week, then half that dose, etc.?

ProCaps Night Time 2 capsules nightly for the past 4 months. http://www.hsn.com/products/night-time-180-capsules/6820151 Shows ingredients including 5-HTP & Valerian Root which I now know are big no no's.  Would a one capsule nightly for a week, then half that, be a good taper?

Oh my goodness gracious, YES, I cannot believe how five tiny beads can make such a huge difference.  I'm not listening to anyone else except you and the other great people here at SA!!  Learned my lesson, big time!!!

Thank you again for sharing your wisdom <3

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Sheri:

L-Threonate - Do you think that this form may be more beneficial.  I read that it crosses the blood brain barrier but does it produce the calmness that the glycinate is supposed to?  I'm having trouble with diarrhea.  Could the glycinate be causing that?  It seems to be worse today.  Maybe 50 mg three times a day instead of 100?  I have alot of Dr. Mercola's L-Threonate also. How much and how many times a day do you think I should take this instead of the glicinate.....either is fine....just afraid of messing something up!!

Magnesium - you are on 2 forms, right?

The rule with magnesium is gradually build up, and as long as it feels good stay on that dose.  Diarrhea is a sign you are taking too much - so back off one or the other.  Everyone is different - citrate gives me diarrhea, but glycinate doesn't.  Some people get diarrhea from oxide, even though it's largely ineffective.  If you read the Magnesium thread you will see that some people react to glycinate too.  

I am trying the threonate, I heard what you did, that it crosses the blood-brain barrier.  I can't tell if it is any different to the glycinate, but I'm still taking it for the time being.  Like you I take a blend.  One Doctor's Best Threonate in the afternoon and 2xGlycinates at night.  (I'm sorry, I get confused by the XXX mg providing YY mg of "elemental magnesium" thing, so sadly, I only understand that I take 3 tablets of magnesium a day.)

It does sound like you do your homework!

Your tapering plan for the ProCaps and 5HtP sounds good - hold at 50 mg HtP while coming off the ProCaps (because it's a complex), then when you are off of that - start tapering the 5HtP.  You can probably make a 25% cut every week or so.  BUT PAY ATTENTION - there are people here who have had difficulty tapering supplements, too.  Make notes of all the changes you make, and notes of how you feel afterwards!

Are you sure you can't call and ask for the sessions to be delayed?  I mean, really, that's a lot of money?  What would Better Business Bureau think?  (My mom used to work there, I think she would be helping you get a reschedule or a refund!)  I just can't imagine them taking your money and then being unwilling to work with you?

I'm saying this in case you were suffering from Neuro-emotion when you made that decision.  Sometimes big decisions in withdrawal can be, um, unreliable at best!

I'm so glad the 5 little beads "hit home"

Be kind to yourself, and you can get through this.  Prepare to hold your 5 beads for at least a month after you have finished cleaning up your supplements.  Then you can start learning about "bead counting" (large beads, small beads, etc.)

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sheri, sorry I didn't get back, family crisis.  Jan has been taking good care of you, and I can't add to her wisdom with the supplements.  I am so pleased to see that you are feeling so much better. You will probably have some 'waves' or down times while your nervous system is adjusting but they will pass, they always pass and the sun comes out again. :)

It would be best for you to post a topic in the benzo section, and our benzo experts will talk you through the best way to divide doses.  :) .  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-forum/

2002  effexor. 

Hi Jan!

Just a quick reply. My kitty woke me up meowing at my door. Evidentially she didn't have the right amount of food in her bowl... :-)

I didn't word the neurofeedback issue well. I've already used the 30 sessions over the last few months and paid for each session at the time. Several days I had back to back sessions with an hour rest in between. I cried and told my husband that I was so sorry. He said that I was doing what I thought was best at the time and to not feel guilty in any way. <3

I'll reach out to the benzo group concerning the clonazepam. Perhaps MamaP wasn't able to. Going to try to get a little more sleep now that kitty is taken care of! Can we say "spoiled"?! ;-)

Thanks, Jan

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Sheri, sorry I didn't get back, family crisis.  Jan has been taking good care of you, and I can't add to her wisdom with the supplements.  I am so pleased to see that you are feeling so much better. You will probably have some 'waves' or down times while your nervous system is adjusting but they will pass, they always pass and the sun comes out again. :)

It would be best for you to post a topic in the benzo section, and our benzo experts will talk you through the best way to divide doses.  :) .  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/29-members-only-benzo-forum/

2002  effexor. 

Oh no!!  I'm so very sorry to hear that.  I hope your situation is going to be okay.  We never know from one day to the next what will happen in our lives.  I tell my grandchildren that yesterday is gone... in the past, tomorrow never comes so all we truly have is this very moment, right now.

Yes, Jan is so very helpful.  I'm grateful for al of you!!

I do have a question.  Is it okay to take a whole foods multi vitamin if the nutrients are from foods? 

Here's the link and description: 

Perfect Calm is the ideal organic whole-food complexed multi-vitamin herbal and nutrient formula for those seeking to address daily stress, enhance calm, and support overall well-being.* It is the first and only multi-vitamin to feature the long revered anti-stress herb supercritical Holy Basil, which has been shown in scientific studies to modulate cortisol and ease a worried mind.* Chamomile and Lemon Balm offer additional soothing effects by promoting healthy levels of calming neurotransmitters.* A complete multi-vitamin, Perfect Calm provides a combination of 23 whole-food complexed vitamins and minerals formulated to promote optimal health while targeting the nutrients your body needs most during times of stress, such as whole-food complexed Vitamins B and C.* Perfect Calm also contains cultured, organic herbal blends to provide immune and digestive support—two important functions that can be affected by high levels of stress.*

An Organic, Whole-Food Complexed Multi-Vitamin that’s Formulated for You
PERF_Ensos.jpg

It’s important to nourish your body with whole-food sources of nutrition because that’s what it seeks and understands. We’ve all heard the saying, “you are what you eat”—the same should apply to your daily multi-vitamin. Each Perfect Multivitamin+ combines the perfect whole-food complexed nutrients with the perfect compounds—organic herbs, vegetables, fruits—to create the perfect multi just for you.

Whole Food that's Gentle on Your Stomach

Many conventional multi-vitamins are synthetic, chemical "isolates" that lack the whole-food benefits found in nature. It’s no wonder they can upset your stomach. But New Chapter vitamins are easy on your stomach because they’re whole-food complexed—cultured in probiotics with organic fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

You can even take them on an empty stomach. It’s nutrition your body easily recognizes and absorbs, the way nature intended.

Probiotic Nutrients:       Vitamin A (100% as beta-carotene) 5000 IU 100%   Vitamin C 75 mg 167%   Vitamin D3 1000 IU 250%   Vitamin E 30 IU 100%   Vitamin K1 70 mcg 88%   Vitamin K2 (MK-7) 10 mcg 12%   Thiamin-Vitamin B1 15 mg 1000%   Riboflavin-Vitamin B2 10 mg 588%   Niacin 45 mg 225%   Vitamin B6 20 mg 1000%   Folate 400 mcg 100%   Vitamin B12 60 mcg 1000%   Biotin 300 mcg 100%   Pantothenic Acid 45 mg 450%   Calcium (from Algae) 15 mg 2%   Iodine 90 mcg 60%   Magnesium (67% cultured, 33% Algae) 2.5 mg <1%   Zinc 7.5 mg 50%   Selenium 100 mcg 142%   Copper 750 mcg 38%   Manganese 2 mg 100%   Chromium 100 mcg 83%   Molybdenum 10 mcg 13%   Mixed Carotenoids 3 mg *   Herbal Blends:       Comprehensive Stress Support Blend: Holy Basil (leaf) hydroethanolic and supercritical extracts, Chamomile (flower) hydroethanolic and supercritical extracts, Lemon Balm (leaf) hydroethanolic and supercritical extracts. 200 mg *   Immune Support Blend: Elderberry extract (Sambucus nigra) (berry), Organic Eleuthero (root), Organic Astragalus (root). 75 mg *   Digestive Support Blend: Organic Aloe (leaf), Organic Peppermint (leaf), Organic Coriander (seed), Organic Cardamom (fruit), Organic Artichoke (leaf). 75 mg *   Herbal Extracts:       Tumeric (rhizome) 16 mg organic hydroethanolic extract, 4 mg organic supercritical extract 20 mg *   Ginger (rhizome) 8 mg hydroethanolic extract, 2 mg organic supercritical extract 10 mg *  

*Daily Value Not Established.

‡ Lithothamnion: (L. calcareum and L. corallioides)

† Nutrients and herbs are cultured in organic media that may contain: organic milled soy, Saccharomyces cerevisiae (organic yeast: active and inactive), organic maltodextrin, organic gum acacia, organic orange and lemon peel, organic carrot powder, organic alfalfa powder, Lactobacilli (L. acidophilus, L. bifidus, L. rhamnosus) and enzymes (deactivated)

Other Ingredients: Organic gum acacia, silica, lac resin, carnauba wax, and sunflower oil.

Contains: Fermented soy.

Naturally gluten free.

100% vegetarian; no artificial flavors or colors.

https://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-134169-new-chapter-perfect-calm-whole-food-multivitamin-144-tablets?utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=fpl&utm_term=NewChapterPerfectCalmWholeFoodMultivitamin144Tablets&utm_content=106164&utm_campaign=googlebase&site=google_base&sc_intid=106164&scid=scplp2946946&gclid=CjwKEAjwtqe8BRCs-9DdpMOilBoSJAAyqWz_VhChn-YUkJH51JPhY3GN3A6PuyHWYb3Oxl36QeYNUxoCVN3w_wcB#overview

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I need your help please. I started feeling depressed yesterday after 1 1/2 weeks of feeling great since beginning the 5 beads of Effexor.

Also woke up depressed this morning. I ran across a post on FB to not mix Curamin and meds, then saw a post on SA under

Curcumin or turmeric, Started by Brandy, May 25 2011 02:02 AM, that it slows down the metabolism of medications. (I take Terry's Naturally BCM-95, 4 a day for Spondylolisthesis.

What should I do?

• Moderator Emeritus

Sheri,  this is common -- a wave of symptoms after a period of feeling well. If the symptoms are bearable, it's best to hold steady at 5 beads.

The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

Could you take the curcumin at times away from the Effexor beads? Maybe even split the curcumin into 2 doses of 2 capsules.

Are you keeping notes on paper about your doses and symptoms and the times they occur? If not, please start -- it makes troubleshooting a great deal easier.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet