SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Medications, Therapy, Exercise in Treating Depression...All Remodel the Brain"

compsports

I wanted to direct people to this thread on psychology today in which I have written two posts as anonymous and AA in response to what I feel is the BS about SSRIs helping stroke recovery.

http://tinyurl.com/3tpsyop

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Administrator

GREAT posts, cs.

Okay, I couldn't resist, and I spent way too much time adding my own. Grrr, I hate this neurogenesis b.s.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

OK quick note: How much you want to bet that slowly but surely non-medical interventions like meditation and exercise are considered placebo when they remodel the brain, but meds aren't?

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

• Administrator

The psychiatry argument I've seen is: Okay for non-drug therapies, but adding an antidepressant is adding an extra level of assurance to help the patient, since the combination has been shown to be superior.

I think there's just one study that touted the antidepressant and psychotherapy combination, does anyone know its title?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Psychotherapy in an altered state...

'How do you feeeel about your inability to feel??'

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

What the heck, let's just call emotional anesthesia a victory over depression.

Almost forgot: EXCELLENT posts cs! Thanks so much for the in-depth work.

Been on SSRIs since 1998:

1998-2005: Paxil in varying doses

2005-present: Lexapro.

2006-early '08: Effexor AND Lexapro! Good thing I got off the Effexor rather quickly (within a year).

**PSYCHIATRY: TAKE YOUR CHEMICAL IMBALANCE AND CHOKE ON IT!

APA=FUBAR

FDA=SNAFU

NIMH=LMFAO

Currently tapering Lexapro ~10% every month:

STARTING: 15 mg

11/7/10: 13.5 mg

12/7/10: 12.2 mg

1/6/11: 10.9 mg

2/3/11: 9.8 mg

3/3/11: 8.8 mg

4/1/11: 7.8 mg

4/29/11: 7 mg

5/27/11: 6.4 mg

6/24/11: 5.7 mg

7/22/11: 5 mg

8/18/11: 4.5 mg

9/14/11: 4 mg

10/13/11: 3.6 mg

11/9/11: 3.2 mg

12/7/11: 2.6 mg

1/3/12: 2.1 mg

2/2/12: 1.8 mg

Psychotherapy in an altered state...

'How do you feeeel about your inability to feel??'

Haha.

I'm due to see a psychoanalytic therapist soon so this is actually quite pertinent for me. I kinda wonder whats the point, when my brain is altered due to meds.

Re: neurogenesis - I dont doubt that AD's may help it...but is it really worth living an emotionally dead life without any normal anxiety or stress responses, in order for your brain to neurogenize itself? And what happens to this so-called neurogensis once the med is removed? Withdrawal..yeah, I'm sure thats really gonna aid neurogensis.

Off Lexapro since 3rd November 2011.

GREAT posts, cs.

Okay, I couldn't resist, and I spent way too much time adding my own. Grrr, I hate this neurogenesis b.s.

Hi Alto,

Thanks

I didn't see your response. Or are you talking about your excellent post in the editorials' section?

These drugs are about as neuroprotective as arsenic is. Psychiatry never ceases to amaze me at the BS they attempt to sell to the public.

CS

Almost forgot: EXCELLENT posts cs! Thanks so much for the in-depth work.

Thanks Cine and you're very welcome.

I finally remembered based on your great posts on other sites in which you quoted passages out of Whitaker's book to use it to refute the point about antidepressants causing neuroplasticity by summarizing what Hyman (former NIMH director) said about psych meds altering brain function from a normal state. It will be interesting to see if Dr. Hellerstein (blog owner) responds to that specific point.

CS

• Administrator

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy