rapunzel2

Wanting a baby and withdrawing

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

I'm wondering if there are any other women in a situation that they are withdrawing but at the same time wanting to have a baby when free of the drug? Also, maybe there are some other, who are having a time pressure of getting too old for pregnancy vs. having to do a careful and slow taper. I'd like to talk to people in the same situation :)

I'm 37 and I've been tapering 3,5 years now. I've come down from 40mg fluoxetine to 6mg, and 50mg quetiapine to 12,5mg. I'm finally in a great relationship, I love my partner very much and I wish to have a baby with him. But my taper will probably take 1,5 more years. I can't really stand that thought and I worry that if after that time we start trying and I don't get pregnant, we have too little time left. I'm toying with the idea of starting to try when I'm down to only fluoxetine, maybe 1 or 2mg. But at the same time it scares me to influence my unborn child with those addictive poisonous chemicals. anyway, it's too soon to think about that since I'm not at that stage yet. 

Anybody else in a similar situation?

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

also, if there are people who have gotten pregnant during withdrawal, could you tell how the pregnancy affected it? 

Daisy1   
Daisy1

Hi, I really want to start a family too, but I have a feeling i've got a long way to go before I can make this happen. Im not tapering, but had a horrendous reaction to citalopram in june which is still ongoibg. I think it might be best to wait another year or so until you have got down to the lowest dose possible or have stopped altogether? Have you discussed this with your doctor ? Women are having healthy pregnancies in there forties now, so I'm sure a year or 2 wouldn't do any harm.

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

thanks for answering in the thread :)

seems that you have much more time, you are still young. but recovering from the adverse reaction can take time, maybe after one year you are in better shape. 

My doctor is totally dismissing my concerns about drugs and pregnancy, and says that taking psych drugs is totally safe during pregnancy. I disagree!

I believe I have to wait for at least a year or maybe 1,5 years. it sucks though...

Nicki1722   
Nicki1722

Yes I'm in the same boat. My doc said the same thing about it being safe but I've already had to have an abortion after my baby had severe brain malformations. I blame it on the Effexor I was taking at the time. I don't think any of these drugs are actually safe during pregnancy. It's so hard to get off of them it's easier for a doctor to just leave you on them. I refuse!

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

thanks for replying, Nicki!

how old are you and what's the situation with your partner? are you eager to have kids already?

I'm so so sorry about that abortion :( those drugs are not safe, and there's so much data about it. Mad in America has special section about dangers in pregnancy: http://www.madinamerica.com/mia-manual/antidepressants-in-pregnancy-risks-to-fetus-and-newborn/

I'm looking at your signature and you have had quite a mess with the drugs... 

Nicki1722   
Nicki1722

So I'm only 30 but am eager to have children. I just had surgery and was told I had a blocked fallopian tube, endometriosis and possibly a scarred cervix. Now we really want to try soon because of all these problems which could make getting pregnant a little trickier. I was better off not knowing about them! But luckily we do have time on our side. And yes, my meds are a freakin' mess thanks to doctors that don't know what they're doing. I'm stuck waiting to get back to being stable before I make any more changes. So much fun.

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

endometriosis is difficult stuff - do you know about gluten and endometriosis link? https://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-and-endometriosis-is-there-a-connection/

in fact, have you checked for ceiac disease? this could explain both - mental health issues and endometriosis. 

but even without celiac disease, gluten free diet can help a lot. I'm on gluten free casein free diet and it has helped me greatly. 

you are on a quite low dose, 14 beads does not seem very much? do you plan on starting to try for a baby even when you are on the drug? or do you plan to get totally free?

Nicki1722   
Nicki1722

I would be ok trying while I'm still on this little dose. However I plan on waiting to try until after our wedding in January! It's in Mexico and the zika virus is rampant there! Hopefully I'll be able to continue my taper here soon but if not that's ok. Who would think getting down from 14 beads would be this hard. Crazy.

scallywag   
scallywag

rapunzel, the good news is that your efforts to date have got you down to low doses.  Paracelsus, a 16th century philosopher and physician, is often quoted, "The dose makes the poison."  Risk decreases with dosage. Should you become pregnant before fully off the drugs and want to discontinue them, withdrawal will likely be easier than a CT off higher doses.

Doctors prescribing these meds to women between the ages of 15 and somewhere above 40, really should be required to educate themselves about the risk and then have discussions with their patients about the risk and about tapering before attempting to conceive.

Dr. David Healy on antidepressants and pregnancy

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

Nicki, congrats on your coming wedding!!! :) yes, who could have imagined that something is so addictive that coming off 14 little beads seems impossible! that's crazy and that's probably why many people can't believe it. 

but I truly think that in your case, a long hold can make it possible to go on. I have had horrible reaction to only 2% decrease, but in hindsight, I had done too many changes and my nervous system was too hyperactive at this point. later, after long hold, I could do 10% decreases again. 

scllywag, thanks, this thought is encouraging! I guess I can start trying to get pregnant at a dose, where I feel I could jump CT if necessary. at the moment my doses are still such, that I fear that CT would be life-threatening. I have had extreme withdrawal reaction in the past, and I'm not sure I'd have it in me to live through it again. But I guess around 1mg prozac, maybe even up to 2mg, I'd be able to try to get pregnant already. but it defintely means another year or 1,5 years. it's hard to wait...

the article is really good!

Nicki1722   
Nicki1722

I was wondering if anyone has heard of problems with getting pregnant and going through withdrawal? I would hope pregnancy hormones would help some bit I'm scared to death! My fiancé and I are planning on starting to try to get pregnant in 6 months. I hope I feel better by then! However I feel like I want to rush my taper because I'm so tired. I don't know if I'm tired from the Effexor now or from the withdrawal. So frustrating.

Postlexapro   
Postlexapro

This is my current situation as well. I want to get pregnant so badly (33 y.o., have been married for 4 years) but my husband wants to wait because my withdrawal effects have been so bad lately (anger, tearfulness, insomnia, depression, anxiety, stomachaches, etc.).

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

How far are you with withdrawing or are you free of drugs?

Postlexapro   
Postlexapro

I'm off lexapro, but taking klonopin and trazadone.

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

so what is your plan? how long do you think the taper takes? will you start trying on low dose of drugs? or will you wait until you feel emotionally better and withdrawal is gone?

Postlexapro   
Postlexapro

I don't know. I am going to see the doctor today. She wants me to go on a low dose of Zoloft and stay on it while trying to conceive. I feel so strongly that this is the wrong decision for me. But I also feel like not being able to start trying for a baby is worsening my depression, so it feels like a catch 22.

Postlexapro   
Postlexapro

In case it's helpful to you, womensmentalhealth.org is run by Harvard/MGH and has a ton of research on pregnancy/SSRIs and other psychiatric meds.

Nicki1722   
Nicki1722

My OB doctor wants me to stay on Zoloft, my primary doc wants me to come off, my psych doc wants me to come off, my family wants me to come off. However, I don't know if I'm going othe able to. So scared.

Mimi11   
Mimi11

Hi ladies!

I'm 15 months off of celexa and would like to try for a baby soon too. I agree with you! I don't think these drugs are safe during pregnancy. I'm still experiencing waves and have lost weight due to suspected malabsorption issues. Dr has referred me to a gastroenterologist for further testing, but I'm sure it's because of WD. How is your WD going Nicki1722? I wish someone who's gotten pregnant during WD could respond too!

Ndanges   
Ndanges

I am in the same situation. I am with almost 5 years married and I feel I am getting old, I will be 35 soon. I am off of medications for about 10 months but I am still struggling with severe head symptoms. I am so afraid that after pregnancy I get worse. I really dont know what to do. 

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

I'm leaving my job so that I can finish my taper. I calculated that according to very positive scenario I can start getting pregnant after a year (by this time I'm hopefully free of quetiapine and on 1mg fluoxetine... low dose). For a moment it seemed very hopeful but then I realized that I'm 39 by that time and I panicked again. 39!! I'm so old :( I'm scared that I'm too old. just hoping for the best........

Nicki1722   
Nicki1722

Hi all. I'm now 6 weeks pregnant and on 50mg of Zoloft. I had initially planned to taper off of it but after attempting a 10% reduction I was not able to function. Also, pregnancy has seemingly made my anxiety so much worse that my doc is increasing my Zoloft to 75mg. I tried so hard to get off but was non functional, which is especially scary when carrying a baby. I honestly think I still have Effexor withdrawal as well. What fun. At least I can still work and interact socially, although I don't feel normal.

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

wow!!!!!! congratulations on your pregnancy!!!!! I hope all goes well! :)

Dwell   
Dwell

I got pregnant August of 2016 which is why I pretty much C/T my 3 year 10mgs of paxil. I quickly miscarried which is common for me. I have a 5 year old but before him I miscarried multiple times. I am 32 and hope after my W/D I can get pregnant but it also worries me that it will bring W/D back.

megb   
megb

Hi ladies, I am in the SAME boat! Shame on those doctors for giving us meds during our childbearing years that are just awful for both us and babies :( I'm grateful for this forum. How are you all doing? 

My situation is I am 29 and have been on Paxil since '09 (8 yrs). Been married 6 years to the best man ever :) and have been wanting a little one for 2-3 years. When we were first married I was in such poor health but now am in better health, yet it will take at LEAST 8 more years to taper this darn drug. Not sure I want to wait either. I would be devastated if my AD was the cause of any birth defects, but I am selfish and want a baby. SO HARD ! Trying to trust God and his plan instead of my own. 

Right now I am on 13.5mg paxil and 10mg trazodone for sleep. I wish we could all just hop off our meds and feel great. Congrats to those who are preggo - I'll be praying for you and your babies!

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

Dwell, have you looked into MTHFR mutation? or have you tried gluten free diet? do you have any autoimmune disorders, have you checked for hashimoto or celiac disease? those all can be the culprits for miscarriages AND psych problems.

megb you seem to be in a same situation as me (although you are younger). why do you estimate it will take 8 years for you? As I see you have gone down from 20mg to 13,5 in a year, seems quite good progress to me :)

I see that you are also gluten-free and dairy free, me too! :) It has helped me a lot and I don't suffer from depression anymore. 

what are the side effects and withdrawal effects of your drugs for you? I hesitate getting pregnant while on drugs because withdrawal is horrendous for me and I can't imagine I will put my baby through the same thing! Also, my mother committed suicide due to meds :( I guess our genes really don't mix with those meds well. I want to stop this cycle, and not give it on to my baby..

Dwell   
Dwell

Rapunzel I have never looked into those I will definitely do some research after years of miscarriages I just assumed it was hormonal! But my obgyn thinks there's nothing wrong and that it's normal. I will be in the search for a new Dr as soon as I get some Wd relief!

megb   
megb

So i estimate another 8 years at least because I do not handle drops very well and I am taking heed of MapleLeafgirl (she has her story on here too). I plan to hold for 6 months on certain doses to give my CNS a rest and catch up on symptoms, sounds fun huh? haha. 

My WD includes pretty ugly/annoying insomnia mainly and the anxiety that comes with it. Insomnia was the reason they put me on this awful drug in the first place :angry: How about you?

I am just so sorry about your mother... how awful! Genetics def play a role I'm sure. Dealing with a loss like that does not make it any easier to keep your head above water.  

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

Dwell, having miscarriages is NOT normal!!! What kind of doctor tells you that!? Ugh. Please look into all of those factors! Start with hashimoto and MTHFR. For hashimoto, a simple blood test will show if you have it. Then look at the information from Izabella Wentz. 

megb, maybe you are a little bit too pessimistic about the time table? I would through away the calendar and just listen to your body. That's how I have done. No calendar tells you how your journey will be or how your body will react. I don't handle drops at all, I'm super sensitive and my withdrawal symptoms are bad, but I have been able to withdraw to quite low levels in 4 years. I've also done longer holds, when withdrawal has cumulated too much. 

I calculated prognosis yesterday, and however I look at things, realistic forecast would be 2 more years withdrawing. I can't be 40 when I START to try for a child. Who knows how long it takes to get pregnant and if I get pregnant at all.

So yesterday I reached a realization that I have to take a course of action which may not be the best. I will start to try getting pregnant after a year. By then I will hopefully be free of quetiapine and on 3mg fluoxetine. And as soon as I get pregnant, I will cold turkey.

CT seems a little bit like suicide, but I have no other option, have I? I DON'T want to poison my child (I mention also that my mother committed suicide due to drugs. My genes are not the best to start a life on drugs). I hope that CT from 3mg is a little better than CT from let's say 20mg, which I would not survive. But I don't know how fullblown withdrawal will affect the baby... and how I will manage withdrawal, pregnancy, childbirth, etc. I try not to think that far...

I hate, hate, hate this situation and dilemma.

megb   
megb

I think a calendar is good because then I know how large my drops are and what percentage. I make changes all the time due to how I feel, but I need a plan going forward to keep my doc in the loop. I get my meds compounded for specific doses. 

I don't think it will be good to CT 3mg...could put your body/baby in a bigger state of stress than just taking the med. I completely understand how you feel though - this is just one bad option or the other bad option. I guess see how you are feeling when you get pregnant. Wish there was a magic cure to jump off this stuff :( 

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

yeah I understand, I'm a calendar person myself, I like planning. But it's good that you are listening your body. 

I really don't know other options as to CT... I hope I will find some solution during a year...

megb   
megb

How is everyone doing?? I am about to go to 12mg Paxil (yay!) in a couple weeks. If I continue to have a decent time decreasing we may still try in the Fall...?! Praying lots. 

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

so you are starting to try while still on meds?

I'm doing ok. I've started to use acupuncture each week and my latest (quite a big) drop has gone by more easily than I prognosed. Or maybe it's that I've used a lot of probiotics and prebiotics and probiotic food to increase good bacteria in my system. 

I plan to be as fast as possible taking into account the symptoms and go as low as I can by winter or next spring and then start trying to get pregnant while (probably) still on a low amount of drug. 

megb   
megb

I think I will get to 11 or 10mg and have a convo with the hubby... we would like to start soon. Basically still taking it drop by drop & month by month. I just have to remember I am not in control of everything :) 

So so glad your drop went well!! You are on quite a low amount, good for you! Hope it continues!

rapunzel2   
rapunzel2

how are you doing now, megb?

I've managed to get down to 4mg fluoxetine. But I'm in pretty bad withdrawal now. I hope it will pass soon.