SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

genlady: Celexa taper questions

genlady

Day 64- I was awake most of the night feeling reved up, headpain/burning and burning sensation all over my body.

I also suffered with the Chorea Movements for two hours, finally getting to sleep at 4 a.m. I received three hours sleep,

then had a two hour sleep after breakfast. I also experienced shortness of breath or breathlessness all night, so I was deep

breathing so I wouldn't panic. The past week I have been experiencing pain in my arms and hands. Having my blood pressure taken

is very painful. Sometimes I cannot move my fingers, like my hand is not functional.

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Supplements Cal/Mag , Potassium, , Multi Vitamin.  digestive aid, antioxidant

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• genlady

• scallywag

• joy2730

• mammaP

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

genlady, I understand you developed these symptoms after going off Seroquel. Which have gotten worse since you decreased Celexa to 35mg?

Have you accidentally skipped any doses of Celexa? Do you use eye drops?

Is this your full list of supplements? L-Glutamine 5 grams 2x day ;L-Glycine 750 mg.  at bedtime

Calcium/Magniesium 1,000 mg. divided doses throughout the day, Krill Oil, Multi-Vitamin, 1000 mg. Vit D.

That vitamin D dosage doesn't look right. How much vitamin D are you taking?

We recommend taking magnesium citrate or magnesium glycinate in small doses throughout the day and NOT with calcium. Calcium blocks the calming effects of magnesium (there's also evidence it's not beneficial to take it in supplements). See
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

How much krill oil are you taking?

When was the last time you had your thyroid medication dosage checked? This needs to be rebalanced periodically.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I updated my signature.  The symptoms which have worsned or not gotten any better since reducing the Celexa are:  burning sensations throughout my body ( head, legs, arms, feet, hands, throat, chest), ringing in the ears, sensitivity to light and sound ( worsened for sure), blurred vision ( I use eye drops), anxiety, breathlessness ( gotten worse), painful muscles and joints, incontinence, insomnia,  mood swings, 

Thanks for the heads up on the Magnesium not to be taken with the Calcium. Is it still o.k. to not take Calcium supplements if you take Magnesium?  Won't your Calcium go out of balance if Magnesium is only taken?  I do eat/drink enough Calcium though.   

The Krill Oil is 1,000 mg. of fish oil.  I will check how much EPA and DHA is in a capsule to see if I need to take more than I am.  I have been taking two capsules per day. 

I had my thyroid tested last month and it is normal.  I am on medication for low thyroid. 

I will for sure take my Magnesium tonight without the Calcium to see if my sleep improves and I can become calmer.  Thank you so much for the information.

July Medications: Started taking antidepressants in 1981, also benzos off and on; antiphychotics , anti-seizure for years.   Trazodone, Lamotrigine, Klonopin for over 10 years   all at maximum dosages,:Disconcontinued Klonopin in month of February 2011,  discontinued Trazodone and Lamotrigine   in month of March 2011 while in hosptial.  Given Seroquel to "help" go off Klonopin  gradually increased to 600 mg ; doctor took me off 600 mg. Seroquel in two weeks, and switched to Resperidal  because of weight gain on Seroquel, went off Resperidal quickly,   then gradually reinstated  Seroquel to 600 mg. at my request.   Went off Seroquel by myself at 25mg. per month in 2014.     Last medication Seroquel completely off since May 2016. Also went off Morphine at the same time as last 25 mg. of Seroquel in May 2016. Started tapering Celexa 40mg. to 35mg.  on 11 Aug. 2016  ; 16 Oct. Celexa 32.5 mg.; 6 Nov. 2016:  30mg. , 50 mg abt. Feb 26 with occasional 30mg.  , : May 10, 2017 began tapering rapidly because of adverse reaction to Celexa;, 40 mg. Celexa;   May 24, 2017: 35mg Celexa.;  June 8, 2017, 30 mg. Celexa, June 22, 2017 25mg.Celexa,; July 6,2017 20mg. CELEXA, July 20: 15mg.; August 10: Sep 29 2017: 10mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac, 5 Oct, 2017:  5mg. Celexa + 10mg. Prozac.; Oct. 14 Celexa 0., Prozac 10mg.Took last Prozac on November 22, 2017, Jan. 31 30mg. Cymbalta........ May Cymbalta 90mg.

Medications presently taking:    Lyrica 150mg. 2x day  , Synthroid 175mcg, Nasonex 2 sprays each nostril, once a day ,     Tylenol  1,000 mg. 2x day., , Restasis eye drops 2x day,  Trazodone 100 mg, Cymbalta 90 mg. Arthrotec 50 mg., Plavix

I just checked my Krill Oil.  It only has 60 mg. of DHA and 120mg. of EPA.   What is the best Omega 3's to buy?  

• Moderator Emeritus

There is no best Omega 3 product. You want a product that lists the number of mg of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexanenoic acid), as your krill oil does. Smaller ocean going fish (sardines, anchovy) are lower on the food chain and therefore, the oil has lower levels of toxic metals and other substances. I prefer taking the oil off a spoon to gel capsules because the oil allows for more control over dosing.

I take Nutrasea, a Canadian product. They have several formulations: regular, high DHA, high EPA. Some people like Nordic Naturals, and Carlson Labs products. I find Nutrasea far less fishy tasting than those.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Day 65-  Didn't sleep at all last night and have had two hours sleep today.  Yesterday and today I have had flu like symptoms with nausea, muscle pain , muscle spasms, abdominal pain,  low appetite etc.  It comes and goes, so I believe it is withdrawals causing it.  I have had difficulty breathing again today which has been very intense.  I started taking the Magnesium without Calcium and tomorrow I will begin increasing my Omega 3's.  My bladder is very irritated or hyper.  All the other symptoms I've been having are in full force as well.  I'm trying to stay awake during the day so I can sleep tonight, but I dont know if I'll be successful.  I seem to fall asleep around 7:30 every night for an hour or so, then can't get back to sleep for overnight.  Hopefully this dip will not last long and I will see some improvement in the coming days.  

Davy 66-  I slept 10 hours in total last night, which was much needed.  Since taking the magnesium, I am calmer during the day with less anxiety.   The burning sensation in my head was less today and my light sensitivity was less.  I still have the ringing in my ears and the involuntary movements which were sometimes severe.  Today I had increased the omega 3's as well, which could have made the differerence.  

• Administrator

I updated my signature.  The symptoms which have worsned or not gotten any better since reducing the Celexa are:  burning sensations throughout my body ( head, legs, arms, feet, hands, throat, chest), ringing in the ears, sensitivity to light and sound ( worsened for sure), blurred vision ( I use eye drops), anxiety, breathlessness ( gotten worse), painful muscles and joints, incontinence, insomnia,  mood swings, 

Thanks for the heads up on the Magnesium not to be taken with the Calcium. Is it still o.k. to not take Calcium supplements if you take Magnesium?  Won't your Calcium go out of balance if Magnesium is only taken?  I do eat/drink enough Calcium though.   

The Krill Oil is 1,000 mg. of fish oil.  I will check how much EPA and DHA is in a capsule to see if I need to take more than I am.  I have been taking two capsules per day. 

I had my thyroid tested last month and it is normal.  I am on medication for low thyroid. 

I will for sure take my Magnesium tonight without the Calcium to see if my sleep improves and I can become calmer.  Thank you so much for the information.

Sounds like those symptoms might be from prior drug discontinuations.

What kind of eye drops do you use? Some will interact with drugs. lease put ALL the drugs you take in the Drug Interactions Checker http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

and copy and paste the results in this topic.

No, your calcium will not get imbalanced if you take magnesium. You don't need to take supplemental calcium. Good to hear the magnesium seems to have beneficial effect.

You will want to take at least 3000mg EPA + DHA per day, divided doses, in as many capsules as add up to that much EPA + DHA.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I updated my signature as I remembered being changed from Seroquel to Resperidal in 2014, because of weight gain on Seroquel.  Looking back I began having withdrawals from the Seroquel as I was gradually being put on the Resperidal.  I thought it was the Resperidal causing the symptoms, so after three weeks of Resperidal, I was switched back to Seroquel to 600 mg.  I didn't think until now that I could have been having withdrawals from the Resperidal as well as the Seroquel because they were both discontinued.  

I was then put on Morphine for my hip pain and this was stopped and I was put on Lyrica instead for pain.  

I was wondering if I could be having a problem with the Lyrica now, as I read breathing problems can be a side effect of Lyrica and that is a big symptom of mine right now.  I will have to see the doctor about that. I did ask her once to take me off the Lyrica, but she wouldn't because I need something for pain right now.  Some people say shortness of breath is a symptom of withdrawal, but I don't know if what I have could be called shortness of breath, it is more like difficulty breathing, or labored breathing. :(    It is not always there, but most of the time.  I HATE DRUGS!!!

• Administrator

Please get a report from the Drug Interactions Checker and copy and paste it into a response to this topic.

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate citalopram  pregabalin

Applies to: Celexa (citalopram), Lyrica (pregabalin)

MONITOR: Central nervous system- and/or respiratory-depressant effects may be additively or synergistically increased in patients taking multiple drugs that cause these effects, especially in elderly or debilitated patients.

MANAGEMENT: During concomitant use of these drugs, patients should be monitored for potentially excessive or prolonged CNS and respiratory depression. Ambulatory patients should be counseled to avoid hazardous activities requiring mental alertness and motor coordination until they know how these agents affect them, and to notify their physician if they experience excessive or prolonged CNS effects that interfere with their normal activities.

Interactions between Celexa, Lyrica 

• Administrator

Well, now you know.

Going on and off drugs may have made you more sensitive to these adverse effects.

You'll have to taper both Celexa and Lyrica, or risk withdrawal syndrome.

Has Lyrica been effective for pain? If so, if I were you, I would consider reducing Celexa.

Lyrica is the only pain medication I have right now for bone on bone hip arthritis.  I need both hips replaced.  With all the other withdrawals symptoms I'm having, isn't going down again on the Celexa going to make things worse?   or are you saying I am having so much trouble because I am on Lyrica and Celexa?  I'm having trouble thinking right now.  If you would suggest going down on the Celexa what would be the next dosage I would take?  

If I did reduce the Celexa, I would only do it by 5% not 10%.  

• Moderator Emeritus

A 5% reduction in the Celexa dose is a good place to start. 95% of 32.5 mg = 30.875 mg

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

It is Day 1  on 32.5 mg. of Celexa.  Although I didn't sleep that well last night, today has been a much better day. I awoke having a problem breathing, but I noticed an improvement by evening. The burning in my head has been less as have the intrusive thoughts.  Loud noises like the organ at church and speakers on the micropphone is intolerable.  I ended up having the Chorea Movements big time and had to leave church.   I can feel the movements coming on like a surge of something going through my body, then tingling, then the muscle contractions and jerking movements.  I sure hope this symptom goes away after I am off the Celexa and it isn't permanent.  I was able to have a nap during the day.  I feel a lot calmer today.  

Question:  Is it necessary to take the 400IU Vitamin E. with every dose of Omega 3's?  or can I just take it once a day and it will help absorb them

• Moderator Emeritus

A purist would tell you to take the E with every Omega 3 dose. I say do what works. ;)

scallywag's Introduction

Day 3-  I awoke this morning and experienced severe involuntary muscle movements.(Chorea)  The muscles in my face even were contracting and I lost the ability to speak.  I also was not able to get various body parts to move when I wanted them to.  It was a bit scary not having control over your body and mind.  At this time my head was experiencing a rushing feeling and burning sensation.  I could feel this "energy" flowing through my arms and legs and down my back.  I had had a dream about not being able to talk and wad distressed.   My back also arched and my neck muscles tightened which was painful as was the muscles that surrounded my arthritic hips.  This lasted for about an hour before settling down.  I became very tired after that.   I was reading my diary last night and saw that I may have trouble around this time of my taper.  From my last taper this improves around day 7.  I took an 81mg. aspirin last night to help with pain and sleep and was able to get to sleep around 3 am. and slept until 6 a.m., then slept again from 6 a.m. until 10.  To keep busy during the night I read, and watched youtube.  

Day 4- Celexa 32.5mg.   Guess what I found:

Interactions between your selected drugs

Moderate[/size] methocarbamol  citalopram
Applies to: Robaxin-750 (methocarbamol), Celexa (citalopram)

Using methocarbamol together with citalopram may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Another interaction between my medications, the same interaction as Lyrica and Citalopram.   Looks like I am going to be in a lot of pain tomorrow as I can no longer take the Naproxen, because it has caused a hymatoma,  Tylenol/Muscle  because of an interaction.   I sure hope I get my surgery date soon.  

Other than all this happening my day was better than yesterday.  No Chorea movements to speak of and my breathing has been better.  Other symptoms are decreased today as well.  I'll see how tomorrow goes.  I may take some Naproxen once in awhile instead of all the time for pain if I need it up until one week before surgery.  I do have the Lyrica which does help with pain, just not muscle pain.  I use a cream for muscle pain which does help, so I may be ok tomorrow.

Edited by scallywag
add indent to separate interactions report

Day 5-  Because I had to go out today I took a Muscle Relaxant and experienced the breathing problem.  Another symptom which I have had in the past but has returned more severely is the pain in my arms.  It is not just burning, but an intense aching or with a feeling of blood surging up and down my arms.  Very weird feeling.  I have difficulty moving my fingers and my shoulder hurts.  I see the chiropractor on Monday, Maybe I have a pinched nerve or something?  Not sure. It feels a lot like the surges I get in my head with the withdrawals.  I'm having sweating and chills, anxiety, muscle and joint pain, sensitive eye and hearing, ringing in my ears,  incontinence,   The Chorea Movements hadn't occured by 9 p.m. but still could.  Symptoms increased later at night for some reason.  I did sleep 8 hours last night which was nice. 

• Moderator Emeritus

If you try the same approach (taking a muscle relaxant), maybe take a ½ dose to find a balance between reducing the tension and maintaining easy, natural breathing?

scallywag's Introduction

If you try the same approach (taking a muscle relaxant), maybe take a ½ dose to find a balance between reducing the tension and maintaining easy, natural breathing?

Yes, I've tried half the dose and I do regular relaxation breathing throughout the day.  The muscle tension is due to my hip joint being out of the socket and protruding into my pelvis, thus putting tension on the muscles and tendons.  It really is a balancing act.  Somedays, when the withdrawals aren't as severe, the pain isn't as bad either.  

I had a bad day today.  :wacko:  The Chorea Movements were severe in the morning and at bedtime, making it impossible to get the sleep again.  Last night, I didn't get any sleep.  The pain in my arms has subsided for now, which is a plus ( they sure were painful!)  The anxiety is more severe and almost non stop all day.  The acid like burning covered my entire head today making it difficult to concentrate.  I became emotionally unstable ( felt like crying) in the evening and once again I am having the breathing problem.  I could not stop the muscle relaxants due to muscle tension surrounding my hip.  I have begun Physio exercises which should hlep loosen the muscles in time.  I had flu like symptoms temporarily today as well which was unusual.  These withdrawals bring surprises every day and they change.  I hope tomorrow is better.  :mellow:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope today is going well.

scallywag's Introduction

The past three mornings have brought severe Chorea Movements, the worst I've ever had.  The rest of the day I have none.  One troubling symptom that has developed is the inability to understand or comprehend what people say to me unless I have them talk very slowly and a few words at a time.  Reading is a challenge also unless I read very slowly.  My concentration is down as well.  The other symptoms of burning sensations are all over the body at times, sensitive to light and sound, itching skin, 

I have noticed emotions which I haven't experienced before.  I think medications must dull all of your emotions or even remove some of them.  This has caused some communication problems with my husband and I.  I am overly sensitive, take things personally when I usually don't, angry about almost nothing, tearful, overly happy or excited etc.  It's troubling because I can't trust my feelings about anything or if my feelings are genuine or not.  I guess I can chalk them up to neuro-emotions?  

I would like to share this article about SSRI causing movement disorders which is the case with me.  My movement disorder has been very severe the last two mornings, so I did some research into it.  An interesting read.

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/articles/movement-disturbances-associated-ssris

Day 16:  I slept well last night by watching youtube videos.  The main symptoms I am still having are:  burning sensations, anxiety, sensitive to light and sound, ringing in the ears, bladder control problems.  I am thinking of reducing again in two days to 30 mg.  and stay there until after surgery.  I didn't have any chorea movements today which was a blessing.   Sometimes I have had to ask people to speak slower because I could not understand what they were saying.  They could only say a few words at a time too or I would lose what they were meaning.  Strange.  

Day 20:  It's 4 a.m. and I'm still awake. :(  The past two or three days I have had an increase in head symptoms ( burning and  blood rushing to my head kind of feeling )  I have been tearful at night as well.  I get a rushing feeling in my legs and arms that is somewhat painful.  One thing that has just recently started is stomach pain and/or burning sensation in my abdomen.  On top of the burning in my legs, arms and head, I'm not enjoying this added feature.  I've started having palpitations too.  I was hoping the withdrawals would become less by now, but they haven't.  Maybe it is just me being tired and not able to sleep, but my coping with all of this has become more difficult.  

• Moderator Emeritus

You may find some helpful ideas for dealing with pain in this topic:
Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain

scallywag's Introduction

Day 21:  I had terrible Chorea Movements this morning along with the prickly feeling all over my body.  What was interesting was my husband came and sat beside me for support and the moment the movements calmed down he said he could feel the difference of the "aura" around me.  It was very prickly and spikey while the movements were going on and as they stopped and I became calmer inside he could feel the difference as well.  He could feel the prickley burning sensations radiating from me!  Now that's powerful stuff!  When I run my hand just above my body I can feel the prickly feeling too, and feel it move as I move my hand.  It's something like when people do theraputic touch.  There must be a scientific explanation for this?  Symptoms of ringing in the ears, sensitive to light and sound, muscle and joint pain and incontinence still persist.  I'm not ready to taper again yet.  

Genlady.  That's lovely that your husband sat beside you and experienced what you were going through. He sounds very understanding.

I'm sorry that you're experiencing movement issues. It sounds like you are " mastering " them somewhat although I imagine it can't be easy.

Are you still booked in for hip surgery ? It must be getting close. I thought it was supposed to be last month.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

AliG,  my husband is very understanding.  We've gone through a lot together in 43 years,   I had pre-surgical screening for my hip replacement, but I just found out the surgery won't take place until probably January.  I don't have a date yet.  

Day 22:  Another sleepless night with intense burning pain in my head and chest, ringing in the ears, sensitive to light and sound.  no involuntary movements though.   

I need some advice.  I have been keeping track of my symptoms and severity of each symptom three times a day.  I am trying to decide whether it is o.k. to decrease the Celexa again or not.  There doesn't seem to be a pattern to anything.  Do I just choose one symptom that is the most bothersome and see if that one has improved before tapering or what????   It is very confusing to me.   I would like to be on 30 mg. in January with as little withdrawal symptoms as possible going into surgery and healing from that.  

Genlady, I am 58 and have withdrawn from lithium and sodium valproate and diazepam in recent years.  I too take citalopram 20 mg, I used to take 30 mg but have found it very difficult to get below 20 mg.

I got severe stomach trouble, sweating, and looked really unwell.  As I am working hard on a late career I can't get too sick.  I also suffered severe headaches.  I have been very surprised at how difficult it is to withdraw from citalopram.

My only tip for you are:  withdrawal symptoms can come on a long time later after a dosage reduction and you have to do it slowly and steadily, with minute drops.  You may fare better than me though.

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

• Moderator Emeritus

Are there any dramatic swings in any of your symptoms from day-to-day, e.g. 2 one day and 8 the next, or 3 upon rising and 9 at noon?

scallywag's Introduction

Are there any dramatic swings in any of your symptoms from day-to-day, e.g. 2 one day and 8 the next, or 3 upon rising and 9 at noon?

Some days I will have mild symptoms in the morning and they become severe in the evening or the other way around.  Usually my afternoons are better than mornings or evenings.