SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

Believe it or not I care how you are doing too. :)

I know you do.  Thank you.

Best,

Andy

We will just take both our problems one day at a time.

Maybe we can help each other. :)

I'm not a mod, but a great listener. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Have you tried ACV with the mother ? Braggs. It and lemon water have been known to alkalize the system which helps just about everything but particularly your issues. Have you tried lemon water each morning ?  

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Have you tried ACV with the mother ? Braggs. It and lemon water have been known to alkalize the system which helps just about everything but particularly your issues. Have you tried lemon water each morning ?

Hi AliG:

I've tried the ACV and threw it right up. I put maybe a tsp in a glass of water and sipped it.

Andy suggested lemon balm. I have to order it. But not sure what kind, have to research it.

I haven't tried lemon water. I'll try that.

Thanks. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Day 14 nauseous :(

• Mentor

:(

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

:(

Thanks...

I just had a thought about my nausea (imagine that lol)...

I take my Lexapro at 4:00pm everyday, and am nauseous every morning when I get up.

What if I took my Lexapro at say noon? Maybe I could sleep through most of the nausea and feel better in the morning. I get up at 6:30am, but can feel the nausea coming on around 5:30am or so.

Can I ask anyone what time they take their meds and, if you are nauseous, does that time of day help?

To do this, I would have to take it at 3:00pm 1st day, 2:00pm, 2nd day, on and on, is that right? Or can I just change times?

Thanks for your input. It's really appreciated. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

i like the idea, Frogie.  The safest approach is the one you outline.  It might not be necessary, i.e., you could just switch the time directly, but it probably makes sense to try it on an incremental basis.  Let's hope this helps.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

i like the idea, Frogie.  The safest approach is the one you outline.  It might not be necessary, i.e., you could just switch the time directly, but it probably makes sense to try it on an incremental basis.  Let's hope this helps.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy:

I'm going to try it tomorrow.

Let's hope it works!

Hope you're feeling a little better. :)

Take care,

Frogie nxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie - 

Could I hold a month, no supplements, and try Brassmonkey's taper and see what happens?

Yes, yes, no.  

You are going to need to hold for longer than a month, now.  When you got stable in November, you held for 2 months, and it was not long enough.  And now you have the thyroxine to get used to, as well.

I suggest at least a 3 month hold.  OR - another way to look at it - when you have not had symptoms for a month, then wait another month before tapering.  

You're going to need to listen to your body!  If you are still having nausea (and you are) - then don't even think about tapering.  Wait until, as Andy says, the nausea is in the distance in the rear view window.

It looks like you and Andy are talking about the Synthroid.  That it might cause nausea - and it apparently has. 

I'm going to suggest that any changes you make might cause nausea now.  

I really believe, with your numbers the way they are - you need to be on the Synthroid.  It may prevent further health problems down the line.  When your Lex taper is finished, you might not need it.  But until then, I'm hoping you can settle on the Synthroid.   I have seen on http://www.verywell.com that different people do better on different brands of thyroxine.  Perhaps Synthroid is not the brand for you.  Whatever brand you do choose, though, it is important to stick with the same brand, once you settle.  Different brands absorb differently, and cause spikes and valleys - and you know how we feel about that at SA - we're striving for "even keel!"

I'd also like to encourage you - the next time you get your thyroid tested - to get your antibodies done.  TPO Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies. and TgAb Anti-thyroglobulin.  https://www.verywell.com/thyroid-antibodies-3231533    Hashimotos, for example, can be chewing away at your thyroid for years before it shows up in thyroid profiles.  Also, it would be good to get your Free T4 and Reverse T3, which tell how well you are converting the thyroxine into useable forms.

But for now, talk to your pharmacist, who may be able to suggest brand alternatives to the Synthroid that might be less nausea producing.  There is a difference between brands, and different people do better on different brands.

If you move your Lexapro to earlier in the day, please move it by an hour per day. (hey!  You thought of this!  Good onya!)  SO if you take it at 4pm  on Tuesday, 3pm  on Wednesday - note symptoms, and if you have any upheaval - hold at the new time.  When you adjust, move it back to 2 pm, trying to get it back to noon.  You may need to hold more than 1 day in between - pay attention to symptoms!

It's an interesting experiment, but I encourage you to try it carefully.  Sometimes it's just better to wait - you had a window of a few days without nausea, which tells me that holding is what you need most right now.

I thought of you today as I was reading this:  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/9197756/What-your-guts-telling-you-why-your-digestion-holds-the-key-to-your-health.html and wonder if there are any lightbulb moments in that article for you.

If a tsp of ACV makes you sick, then do less.  1/8 tsp in a glass.  10 drops.  Or try the lemon water - same principle - start with just a few drops and build up to 1-2 Tbsp per glass.  Both are not immediately easy to get used to.  Both are excellent.  ACV has probiotics, both are alkalising. 

I have been taking yogurt starter when I get IBS.  It's a way to put a huge dose of probiotics in the gut.  Also - have you checked out the bone broth?

I hope you see the sun today!

Jan

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol:

Day 15, a small amount of nausea. Really feels like I'm more hungry than sick.

I'm going to try to move my Lexapro to 3:00 today, and see how I do.

I got really sick on the synthroid, called the dr to tell him, he said my numbers weren't that bad, to stop taking it wait for 6 months and we are going to recheck my numbers then. He wanted to make sure I had no symptoms of hypothyroidism and it shocked me my numbers came up like that. I talked about all the other tests you mentioned and he said no problem. This is the 1st time my numbers have ever been off, so he wasn't real concerned. My TSH was 4.710, high normal is 4.5, and my t3 uptake was 22, normal is 24. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I hadn't had anything to drink for 14 hours. I didn't even think about drinking water. I just went about my morning without anything to drink. It's not my 1st fasting, so I know better. I will next time.

We only have 1 pharmacy and they don't special order brands like other bigger pharmacies would. They do order my liquid Lexapro, but weren't happy about that.

I plan on holding a month after I have no symptoms, then I wanted to try Brassmonkey's slide. So it will be a while.

I'll read the stuff you left me, and let you know.

I haven't tried the bone broth yet.

I just can't make myself do the ACV, but I like lemon water. What is yogurt starter?

I'm not as nauseous today. Still a little, but nothing with that synthroid. :)

We won't see the sun today 100% chance of rain today.

Hope you see the sun :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

I answered JanCarol.

Chime in on my answers, and let me know what you think.

Hope you're feeling better.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

I think for 3 days, the levothyroxine was making me sick.

Like I told JanCarol, I was very dehydrated when I had my blood work done. Dummy me. It's not like I've never done this before. I'm wondering if the dehydration messed with my thyroid numbers. I forgot to ask the dr. But my TSH was 4.710, high is 4.5 and t3 uptake was 22, normal is 24. I'm going to google dehydration and see if it messes with your thyroid numbers or not.

When I talked to the nurse yesterday, she talked to the dr. She called back and said the dr wasn't concerned about my numbers, since they weren't too out of whack. Said stop the meds and we will recheck it in 6 months.

I'm going to google some stuff on hypothyroidism and see if there is something natural or different types of thyroid meds that my insurance will pay for. I know they won't pay for a supplement. I know that Levothyroxine contains lactose and I can't drink milk at all. Then I'll talk to the dr about retesting, and taking something else.

I'm going to start moving my Lexapro up today. Wish me luck. Like you said, noon would be a good time to take it. But I'll take it at 3:00 for a couple of days, see how I do and go from there.

I hope you have a HUGE window soon. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Frogie,

I'm going to google dehydration and see if it messes with your thyroid numbers or not.

http://shannongarrettwellness.com/water-dehydration-thyroid-health/

It certainly can affect thyroid levels, Frogie.

I'm going to google some stuff on hypothyroidism and see if there is something natural or different types of thyroid meds that my insurance will pay for. I know they won't pay for a supplement. 

There are plenty of things that support the thyroid naturally.  Check out Isabella Wentz's site as well as Amy Myers' site. Both are big in the thryoid space.

I'm going to start moving my Lexapro up today. Wish me luck. Like you said, noon would be a good time to take it. But I'll take it at 3:00 for a couple of days, see how I do and go from there.

I think that makes a lot of sense.

I hope you have a HUGE window soon.  :)

Thanks!  That makes at least 2 of us!

Best

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hi, Frogie,

I'm going to google dehydration and see if it messes with your thyroid numbers or not.

I'm going to google some stuff on hypothyroidism and see if there is something natural or different types of thyroid meds that my insurance will pay for. I know they won't pay for a supplement. 

There are plenty of things that support the thyroid naturally.  Check out Isabella Wentz's site as well as Amy Myers' site. Both are big in the thryoid space.

Best

Andy

Andy:

Thanks for all the information. I just googled dehydration and it can mess with thyroid numbers.

I think I'm going to get back to drinking water and call the dr and have my thyroid checked again.

I hope moving my Lexapro will help with my nausea. Wish me luck. I used to take it in the morning and never had a problem, but that's when I was taking 20mg. So maybe it will still work.

I'm googling thyroid stuff as we speak. Just wanted to see if you answered me.

Therapy today! I can talk to her about this too. She is really good at this stuff also. Not as good as you though.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Day 16 still nauseous :(

I was reading about synthroid and it can cause nausea diarrhea and headaches. I had those symptoms for 3 days until I stopped. Still nauseous. Synthroid contains lactose and I'm extremely lactose intolerant.

The dr said my numbers weren't that bad TSH was 4.710 high limit is 4.5 and T3 uptake was 22 and the low was 24. But I read where synthroid 1/2 life is 5-7 days so could have nausea for a while.

Also there is an all natural synthroid

my insurance will pay for, but I was so dehydrated when I had my blood work done (14 hours with out anything to drink). Says that dehydration can mess with the thyroid numbers. I'm going to call the dr mon and see if I can get it retested and see what happens. Got lots of good information from jancarol (thank you) on your thyroid.

I'll keep everyone informed what I find out.

If I didn't have nausea I'd be great. But we all have to have some W/D symptoms so I guess I'm lucky I only have this one.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Day 17 still nauseous and when I woke up this morning my left ear is all red and the skin is dry on the outside of it.

What's going on now?

Take care,

Frogie xx

Day 18:

Still nauseous but I can't tell if it's a little better or not.

Guess I'll know later...

Hang in there, Frogie. We're all praying for you and pulling for you.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Hang in there, Frogie. We're all praying for you and pulling for you.

SJ

Thanks ShakeyJerr:

I need all I can get!

Praying for you too. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Frogie!

We only have 1 pharmacy and they don't special order brands like other bigger pharmacies would

Yes, but thyroid is so common that they might have a couple of alternatives - especially in order to cater to everybody's Drug Plan thing.  Some Drug Plans pay for some brands and not others, whatever I don't understand it - but I know that the Pharmacies are told by the Insurance companies that they have to carry certain brands.  So your pharmacy - while it won't special order - will carry at least 3-5 different brands.  Or at least one brand and one generic.  Some people do better on generics!  

Talk to the pharmacy, find out what brands they keep on hand.

I think your doc is a little cavalier about your numbers but - okay - if he's willing to run all those tests in 6 months, that's good.  It's a good compromise.

I plan on holding a month after I have no symptoms, then I wanted to try Brassmonkey's slide. So it will be a while.

Awesome!  You got this!  And Brassmonkey's slide is sneaky sneaky so that the wolf doesn't know you're getting away!  (I'm a big big fan of Brassmonkey - he's showed the way in so many ways!)

Natural thyroid supplement is pretty cheap (and no milk - just pig).  The hard part is - "self management" of thyroid is, um, not recommended.  As long as your doc is willing to support you with testing.

I agree - your dehydration could do mess up a lab.

Dehydration will be bad for a lot of things - digestion, sleep, headaches.  I pay very close attention to hydration - it's soooooo important!  (but you know that).

Hopefully, those numbers were a one-off.  And in 6 months, you'll get a beautiful thyroid test, because you will drink plenty of water before.

Dry skin, red ear - put coconut oil on it!  I put coconut oil on everything, now!  When I was in Thailand (wow, yes, I've been to Thailand.  I don't believe it myself sometimes) they sold me the most beautiful body butter that was 90% pure coconut oil.  I was on an island which is the main source of coconut products for Thailand - and - they made everything out of coconut there - yum!  I was very very sad when that coconut body butter ran out - nothing I've been able to buy here in Australia is as nice.  So - back to the coconut oil.  

If you want, you can put coconut oil in any lotion - but it is temperature sensitive.  It will solidify in the cool, and liquify in the warm - so some of the lotions I put it in get a bit runny -  but - it's good for what ails you!

Also - are you taking fish oil?  (or does the nausea preclude it?)  Getting enough oil is important for skin health.

I hope you feel better soon!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Hi JanCarol!

Thanks for answering me. I need to get back to you on everything else you have written me. I just haven't felt like it. :(

I'm sure the pharmacy only carries the one thyroid med. They are very small and get annoyed because they have to order my liquid Lexapro every month. But I can call them and ask.

My insurance does cover a couple different meds, I need to call them and see what my co-pay is on them. I looked it up yesterday on the internet but they didn't give me the co-pay price. One is all natural. The Levothyroxine did not agree with me at all. The all natural one is called Tirosint. No generic on it though.

Do you think I should have the test run before 6 months? I can call the dr and do the ones you suggested. He will do it. I just need to wait a while, 1/2 life on Levothyroxine is 5-7 days. I only took 3 though and stopped it on the 20th. Should I be concerned, or do you think it's because I was so dehydrated? My thyroid has never been bad at all.

I wasn't even thinking when they told me to fast. It's not the 1st time I've had fasting blood work done. But I went 14 hours without even a drink of water. I'll make sure I'm good and hydrated next time.

I'll try the coconut oil. Sounds good. When we were in Hawaii, I saw coconut oil everywhere. And used some. It was really nice.

I'm going Brassmonkey's taper when I'm ready. I really think my body can't handle 10% all at once. But like you said, be sneaky and I probably won't even notice.

Thanks again!

Look forward to you answering me. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi, Frogie,

Best

Andy

Andy:

Thanks for all the information. I just googled dehydration and it can mess with thyroid numbers.

I think I'm going to get back to drinking water and call the dr and have my thyroid checked again.

I hope moving my Lexapro will help with my nausea. Wish me luck. I used to take it in the morning and never had a problem, but that's when I was taking 20mg. So maybe it will still work.

I'm googling thyroid stuff as we speak. Just wanted to see if you answered me.

Therapy today! I can talk to her about this too. She is really good at this stuff also. Not as good as you though.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Andy:

Haven't seen you on in a few days.

Just wondering if you are doing ok?

JanCarol gave me some info on my thyroid, if you want to take a look. I did a lot of research this weekend.

Hope you are out having fun because you have a HUGE window. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Day 19:

Still nauseous but I think it might be getting a tiny bit better.

Let's hope anyways. :)

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you think I should have the test run before 6 months? I can call the dr and do the ones you suggested. He will do it. I just need to wait a while, 1/2 life on Levothyroxine is 5-7 days. I only took 3 though and stopped it on the 20th. Should I be concerned, or do you think it's because I was so dehydrated? My thyroid has never been bad at all.

Hi, Frogie.  

I think it would be reasonable to have the tests run in 90 days.  You would be able to see the trend if things were normalizing.  

I would not be overly concerned at this point as I think there is a good reason for the numbers being off. I would get it tested in 3 months and then see where you go from there.

Hope you are out having fun because you have a HUGE window.  :)

Thanks for asking how I'm doing, Frogie.  I had a better weekend weekend before last (perhaps I would call it a mini-window).  Then I got hammered again the following week in the office and that carried over during the weekend.  Last night I got hit with a horrific panic attack at 12 and was up all night.  Probably as bad as I've ever had from an anxiety standpoint so right  now is probably not the best time for me to assess my personal state of the union.

Best,

Andy

Hi, Frogie.  

I think it would be reasonable to have the tests run in 90 days.  You would be able to see the trend if things were normalizing.  

I would not be overly concerned at this point as I think there is a good reason for the numbers being off. I would get it tested in 3 months and then see where you go from there.

Hope you are out having fun because you have a HUGE window.  :)

Thanks for asking how I'm doing, Frogie.  I had a better weekend weekend before last (perhaps I would call it a mini-window).  Then I got hammered again the following week in the office and that carried over during the weekend.  Last night I got hit with a horrific panic attack at 12 and was up all night.  Probably as bad as I've ever had from an anxiety standpoint so right  now is probably not the best time for me to assess my personal state of the union.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I just am still wondering if my thyroid numbers were elevated because of the dehydration. It's never been high, I have it checked every year. I couldn't take the Levothyroxine, it made me REALLY sick, and I'm already sick lol... I only took it 3 times.

I'm so sorry you are in a bad place. I was really hoping you had a HUGE window. I hope one opens for you soon. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I just am still wondering if my thyroid numbers were elevated because of the dehydration. It's never been high, I have it checked every year. I couldn't take the Levothyroxine, it made me REALLY sick, and I'm already sick lol... I only took it 3 times.

Oh, Frogie.  I know what you are asking and I know you want ME to tell YOU that you should ignore the tests completely because you have no history of thyroid issues.  That is the way disease works sometimes -- people don't have it and then they do.  I do understand that you want to believe that it is from the dehydration and it may well be.  The reality is -- and this is only my view -- 90 days is not going to destroy your thyroid so if the Levothyroxine makes you REALLY sick then I would not take it and get retested in 90 days.  I would look at articles on natural ways to boost the thyroid and see if you can provide some support in that fashion in case the tests are "real".  

Best,

Andy

Oh, Frogie.  I know what you are asking and I know you want ME to tell YOU that you should ignore the tests completely because you have no history of thyroid issues.  That is the way disease works sometimes -- people don't have it and then they do.  I do understand that you want to believe that it is from the dehydration and it may well be.  The reality is -- and this is only my view -- 90 days is not going to destroy your thyroid so if the Levothyroxine makes you REALLY sick then I would not take it and get retested in 90 days.  I would look at articles on natural ways to boost the thyroid and see if you can provide some support in that fashion in case the tests are "real".  

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy-

I don't know if the numbers are real or not. New dr, new lab, different results, who knows. I quit smoking a year ago. And I'm tapering off Lexapro. Lots of variables.

I have been researching everything I can on meds for hypothyroidism, and came across 2 natural ones that my insurance will pay for. I found one that if I do have hypothyroidism, I would really like to take, but it's $350 a month, my cost with insurance, that's not happening. The dr wasn't too concerned when I called him and told him how sick I got on the meds. So I'll wait, drink lots of water before I go in and have it rechecked. And I'll go from there.

Thanks for answering me. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Good plan, Frogie.

Happy to give you my thoughts.

Best,

Andy

Day 20:

Not quite as nauseous as yesterday.

Maybe the updose is finally taking effect. I can only hope. :)

I'm tired of being nauseous all the time

• Moderator Emeritus

Good news, Frogie.  As you know, because there were multiple variables at play we won't be sure what was the thing (or things) that helped, but it doesn't really matter since you know you will need to do a very slow taper (using BrassMonkey's slide).

Best,

Andy

Good news, Frogie.  As you know, because there were multiple variables at play we won't be sure what was the thing (or things) that helped, but it doesn't really matter since you know you will need to do a very slow taper (using BrassMonkey's slide).

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy:

We don't know what is causing my nausea, but I do have a feeling it's the Lexapro. But I'm not taking supplements right now, except fiber. I'm actually taking my Lexapro around 2:30-3:00. I think I'm going to try 2:00 soon. I would love to be able to take it in the morning again. Would it hurt me if I just tried to take it around 11:00. Or do I need to work up to it?

I am definitely doing Brassmonkey's taper, my body can't handle a full 10% taper all at once. We have figured that out.

Went to therapy yesterday, and we talked a lot about me getting out, even though I live in the sticks. And I mean the sticks! Just for a 10 minute walk. She thinks I might feel better. But it's been cold so I'm going to ride my stationary bike for 10 minutes today. It's supposed to snow Friday and Saturday. So won't be walking then lol...

Hope you are feeling better. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Day 21:

Nauseous but I don't think it's as bad as day 1.

Wish it would go away!

I have a question:

As you all know, I wake up nauseous. I'm slowly moving my Lexapro from 4:00pm to noon.

I have found that about 1/2 hour I take my Lexapro, I'm no longer nauseous. I've noticed that but haven't paid attention to it because I'm paying too much attention to the nausea.

Is that normal?

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I have found that about 1/2 hour I take my Lexapro, I'm no longer nauseous. I've noticed that but haven't paid attention to it because I'm paying too much attention to the nausea.

Is that normal?

Frogie,

First off, there IS NO normal.  What this does say, however, is that perhaps your body still needs the Lexapro and therefore until you have it you get some nausea. Not entirely sure.  Keep moving it back and let's see where you are once you get to noon.

The fact that you are feeling a little better is a good sign that you are righting the ship.

Best,

Andy

Is that normal?

Frogie,

First off, there IS NO normal.  What this does say, however, is that perhaps your body still needs the Lexapro and therefore until you have it you get some nausea. Not entirely sure.  Keep moving it back and let's see where you are once you get to noon.

The fact that you are feeling a little better is a good sign that you are righting the ship.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I guess I shouldn't have said normal. Especially with me lol...

I am up to around 2:30 now. But nauseous until then.

Think it would hurt to try 1 day taking it in the morning and see what happens? I don't want to mess up my tapering AT ALL!

I just want to get "stable", then wait a month, and start Brassmonkey's taper. I think I can sneak the taper into my body that way.

Thanks for helping me.

Hope you are doing better. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx