Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Junglechicken   
Junglechicken

Hugging you and Brownie simultaneously Frogie.

 

Love JC

xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
9 hours ago, Flowers said:

Hi Frogie

 

Thinking of you today - let us know how you get on at the vets.

 

Love from Flowers xxx

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie

Hi everyone:

 

What a day, just got home. Tired...

 

Well, the vet ran blood work and Brownies kidney functions were normal, but her liver values had doubled.

 

She did an ultrasound on her, found a couple of nodules on her liver, but said they were definitely benign, thank goodness. She thinks she has a virus in her liver.

 

The vet said she needs more fiber. Try to get a dog to eat fiber. We bought some chicken and turkey baby food with vegetables mixed in with it. Brownie actually ate some. I could believe it, she's so picky.

 

Now another antibiotic and a special liver pill for dogs. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get down her. The vet gave me this thing, I don't know what to call it. You put the pill inside a rubber end and put it in Brownies mouth and push the plunger and it gives her the pill instead of her getting all worked up.

 

We have to take her back in a month for blood work to make sure she's doing ok on this medicine.

 

Thanks for caring everyone. You gave no idea what that means to me.

 

Hope everyone is doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
RachelSusan   
RachelSusan

Hi Forgie,

 

It sounds like things are going in the right direction for Brownie.  I'm so happy for the two of you. I hope you will start to feel a little better now that you have a better idea of what is going on.

 

I think the thing you described goes by a few different names.  "pill popper," "Soft Tip Pet Piller," "Pet Pill Dispenser," and so on. You'll have to let us know how it works out using this new thing.

 

RS

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
29 minutes ago, RachelSusan said:

Hi Forgie,

 

It sounds like things are going in the right direction for Brownie.  I'm so happy for the two of you. I hope you will start to feel a little better now that you have a better idea of what is going on.

 

I think the thing you described goes by a few different names.  "pill popper," "Soft Tip Pet Piller," "Pet Pill Dispenser," and so on. You'll have to let us know how it works out using this new thing.

 

RS

Hi RS:

 

I do feel better knowing what's going on and that my vet gas a treatment plan. She is great.

 

I think she did call it a pill plunger. I'll let you know how it goes.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Flowers   
Flowers

Hi Frogie

 

Poor Brownie having a liver virus but at least you know now what the problem is and she is getting treatment.

 

Things are looking a bit more positive now aren't they? That is so encouraging.

 

Come on Brownie - get well soon girl!

 

Love from Flowers xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Junglechicken   
Junglechicken

Yay! SO happy for you two :)

 

You can both get through this, and you are. 

 

Frogie, Brownie knows you're taking good care of her, and she obviously as a lot of fight in her for an old dog.

 

Its all good!!

 

Hugs,

JC xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie

Hi everyone:

 

Brownie does put up a good fight for as old as she is.

 

I feel bad for her. She is used to being fed as soon as I get up. One of the pills my vet put her on, she has to wait an hour before she can eat. She is barking and having a fit right now. She doesn't understand.

 

Thanks for all your support. It means a lot.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
joy2730   
joy2730

Hi Frogie

 

It is only natural to have an upset stomach in the circumstances, it means you love Brownie.

 

Can her tablets be crushed at all?  But please check the vet first as some meds are altered by crushing.  Still she might reject them even then.

 

Is 16 a very old age for Brownie's breed, people tell me that dog breeds vary as to their natural lifespan.  Perhaps she is entering her old age naturally and that we all have to accept, though it is tough to accept that in animals as well as people.

 

Make her comfortable and love her to bits.  I really hope Brownie is a girl!

 

Take care

 

Joy

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
20 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie

 

It is only natural to have an upset stomach in the circumstances, it means you love Brownie.

 

Can her tablets be crushed at all?  But please check the vet first as some meds are altered by crushing.  Still she might reject them even then.

 

Is 16 a very old age for Brownie's breed, people tell me that dog breeds vary as to their natural lifespan.  Perhaps she is entering her old age naturally and that we all have to accept, though it is tough to accept that in animals as well as people.

 

Make her comfortable and love her to bits.  I really hope Brownie is a girl!

 

Take care

 

Joy

Hi Joy:

 

The vet gave us this thing, I don't know what to call it. But you put the pill in the end of it, put it on Brownies tongue and press a plunger and it pushes the pill down her throat. Took a little getting used to, but much easier than fighting her.

 

Brownie is getting up in age. She is a chihuahua. They live anywhere from 15-20 years. The vet thinks she's doing really well for her age and thinks these meds will help. 

 

Brownie is a girl. I'm still sick this afternoon, but it's to be expected like you said.

 

I'm glad to hear your husband is doing well.

 

Thanks for caring.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
joy2730   
joy2730

Right so Brownie may have a few years left in her yet, there is some mileage.  I have never really had a dog, we had a farm dog years ago and then many years without any dogs, and just got a sheep dog about 8 months ago as a puppy, through my son's girlfriend who is a veterinary nurse.

 

Fly is really good with the sheep already and comes in the house and gets taken on walks etc, but is a working dog who sleeps outside on a night.  She is great though, very loving and I love spending time with her.  My son and his girlfriend think that she 'sulk' when coming 'into heat', so they took her to the vets last week, they have changed her food and my husband, who feeds her, has started to give her an egg a day and she seems a lot better. 

 

I am getting close to her when I am at home, I will see her tomorrow.  I have always been more of a cat person, but Fly is very loving.  Apparently sheep dogs don't live that long though.

 

It all sounds more hopeful for Brownie, keep letting us know, every life is important, whether animal or human.

 

Joy

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
17 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Right so Brownie may have a few years left in her yet, there is some mileage.  I have never really had a dog, we had a farm dog years ago and then many years without any dogs, and just got a sheep dog about 8 months ago as a puppy, through my son's girlfriend who is a veterinary nurse.

 

Fly is really good with the sheep already and comes in the house and gets taken on walks etc, but is a working dog who sleeps outside on a night.  She is great though, very loving and I love spending time with her.  My son and his girlfriend think that she 'sulk' when coming 'into heat', so they took her to the vets last week, they have changed her food and my husband, who feeds her, has started to give her an egg a day and she seems a lot better. 

 

I am getting close to her when I am at home, I will see her tomorrow.  I have always been more of a cat person, but Fly is very loving.  Apparently sheep dogs don't live that long though.

 

It all sounds more hopeful for Brownie, keep letting us know, every life is important, whether animal or human.

 

Joy

Hi Joy:

 

i'm a person, my fiancé is a cat person. He has a cat, she's very sweet. Brownie chases her and she's at least 2 1/2 times Brownies size. 

 

Yesterday I cooked Brownie a homemade dog food. The vet said she needs more fiber. So I made one with sweet potatoes, zucchini, summer squash, white potato, carrots, ground turkey, and brown rice. She isn't super happy eating it, but I spoon fed her and she quite a bit.

 

I'm still really nauseous. I guess it won't go away overnight. It's just nerves. 

 

How is your husband doing? I hope well. 

 

Thanks for caring . I know she is just a dog, but to me she's my best friend.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
On September 9, 2017 at 8:36 AM, Junglechicken said:

Hugging you and Brownie simultaneously Frogie.

 

Love JC

xxx

Thanks JC, I really need that right now.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
On September 9, 2017 at 9:04 PM, Flowers said:

Hi Frogie

 

Poor Brownie having a liver virus but at least you know now what the problem is and she is getting treatment.

 

Things are looking a bit more positive now aren't they? That is so encouraging.

 

Come on Brownie - get well soon girl!

 

Love from Flowers xxx

Thanks for caring Flowers, she's my best friend.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
On September 9, 2017 at 6:18 PM, RachelSusan said:

Hi Forgie,

 

It sounds like things are going in the right direction for Brownie.  I'm so happy for the two of you. I hope you will start to feel a little better now that you have a better idea of what is going on.

 

I think the thing you described goes by a few different names.  "pill popper," "Soft Tip Pet Piller," "Pet Pill Dispenser," and so on. You'll have to let us know how it works out using this new thing.

 

RS

Hi RS:

 

She still fights taking her medicine but it's a little easier.

 

I hope things will turn around for her. We will see next month.

 

Thanks for checking on her, it means a lot to me.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
direstraits   
direstraits

happy to read that Brownie is hanging in there.....she sounds like a tough little fighter.

wishing you both better days ahead.

take care,ds

xxx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
2 minutes ago, direstraits said:

happy to read that Brownie is hanging in there.....she sounds like a tough little fighter.

wishing you both better days ahead.

take care,ds

xxx

Hi DS:

 

Thanks for caring, it means a lot to me. 

 

Even if she is "just a dog", she has been through thick and thin with me, unconditional love.

 

Me, I'm a wreck. So nauseous it's not funny.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie

HI everyone:

 

Just wanted to post (vent maybe).

 

I feel so alone. I wish I had some company through my poor baby Brownies illness. It's so hard on me. She has been with me through my divorce, when my youngest son decided not to talk to me 8 years ago, because I was such a bad mom. I only worked 1 full time and 2 part time jobs, so he and his brother could have everything they wanted. I feel deprived of his life, but his husbands wife can call and text me what a bad mom I was and to leave them alone. I have since blocked her. My oldest son, daughter in law and granddaughter are in my life thank goodness, but 2 1/2 hours away.

 

My fiancé tells me to stop crying. She's a dog and not going to live as long as we do. 

 

I know that, but I could really use, "I'm so sorry", or "I hope you are doing everything to make her better". Which of course we are.

 

My poor baby is on 1 liquid and 3 pills. She fights and cries like a baby when we gave to give her the pills.

 

I'm truly sorry to keep talking about her, but I can't help it. Both of my parents passed away and I'm an only child.

 

I thought the nausea was gone, but it's back with vengeance since all this has happened. I'm not even thinking of tapering at the moment.

 

Thanks for whoever reads this. It means a lot to have friends here.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
RachelSusan   
RachelSusan

Hi Frogie,

Brownie is not "just a dog."  She is your daughter, you sister, and your friend.  Only people that have gone through what you are going through can understand .  I don't judge your fiancé in the least, he just doesn't understand your bond with Brownie.   Like you said, she had been there for you when no others have.  You love her and you are sick with worry. Let's hope that she has many more good years left, the smaller the dogs are, the longer they live.  As for her crying when you give her the medications, it must break your heart because you can't explain to her what you are doing.  I think she does know though that you are helping her.  I am very sorry that you are going through this.  You are a great dog mom. Please keep sharing with us, we are here for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
3 minutes ago, RachelSusan said:

Hi Frogie,

Brownie is not "just a dog."  She is your daughter, you sister, and your friend.  Only people that have gone through what you are going through can understand .  I don't judge your fiancé in the least, he just doesn't understand your bond with Brownie.   Like you said, she had been there for you when no others have.  You love her and you are sick with worry. Let's hope that she has many more good years left, the smaller the dogs are, the longer they live.  As for her crying when you give her the medications, it must break your heart because you can't explain to her what you are doing.  I think she does know though that you are helping her.  I am very sorry that you are going through this.  You are a great dog mom. Please keep sharing with us, we are here for you.

Thanks RS:

 

She is my best friend. She gives unconditional love. I shove the pills down her and she cries, but after it's over she is giving kisses.

 

I just pray that these meds give her a few more good years. I'm not ready to let go just yet. But I don't want her to suffer either.

 

Thanks for being a friend. You have no idea how much I appreciate that.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley   
Gridley

It sounds like Brownie's diagnosis give lots of room for hope and long life..  I'm glad the kidneys are okay.  Good for you for cooking up that high-fiber food.  I'm sure that's not her favorite but at least she does eat it. If spoon-feeding is what it takes, so be it.  I don't think 16 is so old for a Chihuahua, especially when Brownie has someone like you caring for her.

 

I know all this is a big stressor and it seems to go to your stomach.  I hope you feel better very soon.

 

Gridley

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
1 hour ago, Gridley said:

It sounds like Brownie's diagnosis give lots of room for hope and long life..  I'm glad the kidneys are okay.  Good for you for cooking up that high-fiber food.  I'm sure that's not her favorite but at least she does eat it. If spoon-feeding is what it takes, so be it.  I don't think 16 is so old for a Chihuahua, especially when Brownie has someone like you caring for her.

 

I know all this is a big stressor and it seems to go to your stomach.  I hope you feel better very soon.

 

Gridley

Thanks Gridley:

 

I appreciate the kind words you said to me. I'm trying my hardest to get her healthy.

 

I had a scare with her this morning. The vet put her on an appetite pill. Well, it really stimulated her. She couldn't sit still. She was pacing back and forth for an hour. Talked to the vet and she said to stop the pill. 

 

I am so stressed and it has gone to my stomach, but at least I know what it is.

 

Thanks again for being so caring.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley   
Gridley

Praying for both you and Blackie.  I hope she calms down soon.  

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
10 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Praying for both you and Blackie.  I hope she calms down soon.  

She has calmed down quite a bit since this morning.

 

Thanks again (Brownie gives you kisses)

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
RachelSusan   
RachelSusan

Hi Frogie,

 

I'm checking in on you.  It's so hard with these ups and downs with Brownie. It sounds to me though that her diagnosis is positive, is that right?  Can you tell me a little about Brownie?  Like how much she weighs, what she looks like, how does she communicate with you? I would love to hear anything you care to share about her.  I love dogs, it's just that simple.

 

You mentioned in your post, just a few hours ago, that the stress was going to your stomach.  Is it a stomach ache or that nausea you get?  Have you found anything that helps it?

 

xo

RS

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
2 hours ago, RachelSusan said:

Hi Frogie,

 

I'm checking in on you.  It's so hard with these ups and downs with Brownie. It sounds to me though that her diagnosis is positive, is that right?  Can you tell me a little about Brownie?  Like how much she weighs, what she looks like, how does she communicate with you? I would love to hear anything you care to share about her.  I love dogs, it's just that simple.

 

You mentioned in your post, just a few hours ago, that the stress was going to your stomach.  Is it a stomach ache or that nausea you get?  Have you found anything that helps it?

 

xo

RS

Hi RS:

 

Thanks so much for caring. I had a real scare with her this morning. The vet prescribed an appetite suppressant and I gave it to her this morning. It was like she was on speed. She paced back and forth for about an hour. I talked to the vet and she said not to give it to her anymore or to cut the dosage way down. I'm not giving it to her. I cooked a high fiber diet for her. Turkey, sweet potato, carrots, zucchini, summer squash and diced tomatoes. She eats it pretty good. This morning after that pill she ate squash, chicken baby food and a corn dog without the breading. She's on 2 pills, one for her liver and an antibiotic. Then we had to have 1 liquid med for her liver compounded. She weighs 5lbs 3oz, she was 7lbs 3 oz, but lost weight when she got sick. She just turned 16 in July. She doesn't really communicate, but doesn't want me to leave her. After I got her calmed down this morning, she laid next to me and slept most of the day like she usually does. She ate pretty good tonight, but we had hamburgers and she didn't want to eat any. I think she is full. My stomach is actually nauseous, it's just nerves. She is a milk chocolate color. She has nodules on her liver through an ultrasound but the vet doesn't think it's cancer, because she would have been sick longer than this. Her kidneys are functioning fine and she is not in kidney failure.

 

I tried to attach a photo of her, but it says the file is too big.

Share this post


Link to post
RachelSusan   
RachelSusan

Brownie sounds absolutely adorable. I now have a better image of her in my mind. Thank you for sharing.

 

Yes she did loose a lot of weight,  however because she is eating again that's a great sign. Everything you have said so far is very encouraging. The fact that her kidneys are working fine is the best news ever. The high fiber food you cooked for her would be something I would eat.  Yum, Yum.  By the way, I think you are a fantastic dog mom. 

 

Please keep us posted about how both you and your darling little girl are doing in the next few days.

 

xo

RS

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
6 minutes ago, RachelSusan said:

Brownie sounds absolutely adorable. I now have a better image of her in my mind. Thank you for sharing.

 

Yes she did loose a lot of weight,  however because she is eating again that's a great sign. Everything you have said so far is very encouraging. The fact that her kidneys are working fine is the best news ever. The high fiber food you cooked for her would be something I would eat.  Yum, Yum.  By the way, I think you are a fantastic dog mom. 

 

Please keep us posted about how both you and your darling little girl are doing in the next few days.

 

xo

RS

Thanks RS:

 

I think she's pretty special.  I'm just so upset that she is sick, hopefully she will get better.

 

This morning I woke up nauseous and upset GI. I hope it goes away. I know it's just nerves.

 

I will keep you posted.

 

Thanks for caring.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie

Well,

 

I'm back to being nauseous and GI issues everyday.

 

As everyone knows, I'm under a lot of stress with my 16 year old chihuahua.

 

Could that be causing it?

 

Just curious.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
apace41   
apace41
35 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Could that be causing it?

 

I would think that was very likely the cause of it, Frogie.  I know how much you love Brownie and the last thing I would do is tell you that you should try to calm down about her since I know you can't, but when you are that emotionally attached to someone or something and that person or thing is sick it is very common for the caretaker to feel the stress and become symptomatic. 

 

Sometimes the obvious thing is the right thing.  In this case I would not look to try to find a reason for your nausea beyond the stress of your beloved pet's condition.

 

Once Brownie is recovered (and she will be) you will be fine again.

 

Best,

 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
1 minute ago, apace41 said:

 

I would think that was very likely the cause of it, Frogie.  I know how much you love Brownie and the last thing I would do is tell you that you should try to calm down about her since I know you can't, but when you are that emotionally attached to someone or something and that person or thing is sick it is very common for the caretaker to feel the stress and become symptomatic. 

 

Sometimes the obvious thing is the right thing.  In this case I would not look to try to find a reason for your nausea beyond the stress of your beloved pet's condition.

 

Once Brownie is recovered (and she will be) you will be fine again.

 

Best,

 

Andy

Thanks Andy:

 

I really appreciate your kind words.

 

I know she's just a dog, but she has been through a divorce with me, through thick and thin.

 

They give you unconditional love that you will never get from a human. No matter how much I love my fiancé, it's not the same kind of love.

 

Thanks again,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
Gridley   
Gridley

Brownie is lucky to have such a good mama.  I hope those stomach issues settle down soon.

Share this post


Link to post
joy2730   
joy2730

These days Frogie everyone is saying the stomach is the 'second brain' in that it reacts like the brain a lot of the time.  I suppose that is where we get that expression 'gut feeling' from.  Therefore that will be why you are having GI issue.  'Sick to the stomach' is another expression or even 'he makes me sick' for someone who you just can't get along with. 

 

Feeling upset when Brownie is ill is also the price of loving someone or an animal. 

 

Your tummy will settle when your nerves do.  It is all so normal.

 

Joy

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
2 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Brownie is lucky to have such a good mama.  I hope those stomach issues settle down soon.

Thanks Gridley,

 

She gives me unconditional love, and I give it right back to her.

 

I'm sure my stomach problems are all just stressed related. 

 

Thanks for for being so caring. I really appreciate it.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post
direstraits   
direstraits

thinking of you and Brownie today...hope things keep getting better.

sending lots of hugs and love,ds

Share this post


Link to post
Frogie   
Frogie
4 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

These days Frogie everyone is saying the stomach is the 'second brain' in that it reacts like the brain a lot of the time.  I suppose that is where we get that expression 'gut feeling' from.  Therefore that will be why you are having GI issue.  'Sick to the stomach' is another expression or even 'he makes me sick' for someone who you just can't get along with. 

 

Feeling upset when Brownie is ill is also the price of loving someone or an animal. 

 

Your tummy will settle when your nerves do.  It is all so normal.

 

Joy

Thanks Joy:

 

You are right. It is all stressed related. I need to learn to calm down, but it's hard when your best friend is old and sick. I knew she wouldn't live forever, but I guess I'm selfish and don't want to give her up just yet. But I would never let her suffer. The vet said she's not in pain or suffering if she's eating, drinking, barking, and acting like a dog.

 

I guess time will tell. We go back for a check up next month.

 

Thanks for being so kind. I truly appreciate it.

 

Hope you are doing well.

 

Take care,

Frogie xx

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.