Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Frogie,

5 minutes ago, Shep said:

Please be very careful with Cipro, since you are also taking Xanax. Cipro (and all other fluoroquinolone antibiotics) are contraindicated for someone on a benzodiazepine because they affect the same receptor cites as benzos. 

As is frequently the case, Shep beat me to the punch.  I know you have taken Cipro in the past without incident but these drugs are very, very unpredictable and potentially dangerous.  There are plenty of other antibiotic choices that are NOT in the fluoroquinolone family.  I would suggest you speak to the doctor about a different one of these antibiotics.  Ask him/her to consider augmentin or erythromicin.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

1 minute ago, Shep said:

Hi, Frogie.

Please be very careful with Cipro, since you are also taking Xanax. Cipro (and all other fluoroquinolone antibiotics) are contraindicated for someone on a benzodiazepine because they affect the same receptor cites as benzos. 

From Wikipedia: Fluoroquinolone antibiotics have been noted by Heather Ashton and other authors as increasing the incidence of a CNS toxicity from 1 to 4% in the general population, for benzodiazepine-dependent population or in those undergoing withdrawal from them. This is probably the result of their GABA antagonistic effects as they have been found to competitively displace benzodiazepines from benzodiazepine receptor sites. This antagonism can precipitate acute withdrawal symptoms, that can persist for weeks or months before subsiding. 

For people with current or even prior benzo use, they are particularly dangerous: 

Benzodiazepine tolerance, dependency, and withdrawal syndromes and interactions with fluoroquinolone antimicrobials

Here's a list of the fluoroquinolone antibiotics which should be avoided if possible during withdrawal and well after: 

Fluoroquinolone antibiotics

When I was active over on Benzo Buddies, there were quite a number of buddies that suffered severe setbacks due to the fluoroquinolone antibiotics, so please be extra careful with drugs like Cipro. 

I hope you're feeling better soon. 

Thanks Shep:

I've taken Cipro a couple of times before when I was on Xanax and did fine. I'm only taking it until my throat is no longer red with white spots. I wanted Keflex, but the dr said it wasn't strong enough after a dose of the z-pac. The only thing Cipro does is give me diarrhea, but not all the time. I am allergic to anything ending in cillin, so I have to take what I can. I even asked for another z-pac, and he said the 1st one didn't clear it up, so another one won't either. I took my 1st Cipro this morning, and believe it or not, my throat isn't sore. It still looks the same, so maybe a couple of days and I can stop it. My dr is great, he is on board with me and my tapering. He prescribed liquid Lexapro, and I'm tapering at my own schedule.

Thanks for the information, and watching out for me. I really appreciate it. You really are a very caring person.

I'll see you on the Benzo site as soon as I'm done with Lexapro.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

2 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Hi, Frogie,

As is frequently the c ase, Shep beat me to the punch.  I know you have taken Cipro in the past without incident but these drugs are very, very unpredictable and potentially dangerous.  There are plenty of other antibiotic choices that are NOT in the fluoroquinolone family.  I would suggest you speak to the doctor about a different one of these antibiotics.  Ask him/her to consider augmentin or erythromicin.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy:

I tried Augmentin before and it made me really really sick. I just got done with a z-pac, which is erthromycin, and it didn't clear it up. We went back and forth on the phone. He said no on Keflex, because it is about the same as a z-pac, you just take it longer. He said I could try clydamycin. I took that when I had my teeth done. It was a nightmare, I had to go off of it. I was sicker on it than nothing. I'm only taking it until my throat is no longer red with white spots. Like I told Shep, I took my 1st one this morning, and my throat isn't as sore, so maybe only 2-3 days and I can quit.

Like I told Shep, you guys are really watching out for me and I really appreciate that. You are a very caring person.

I hope you get a HUGE window, you deserve it.

Thanks...

Take care,

Frogiexx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

24 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Frogie,

It sounds like Brownie is doing fine, its you who are suffering now!

I had a feeling you would have to switch ABs, so will be thinking of you and hope that these new ones do the trick.

When we have to be  "out there" and participating in the outside world again, its too easy to get hit with viruses etc., once again.  Staying within our 4 walls will inevitably reduce our risk of catching things going around. 

We all know as WD sufferers, that our immune systems aren't as strong as they used to be, however, the choice is ours.  Stay in our "bubble" of safety to reduce sickness, or get out there and start actually living again.

I think I choose the latter!

Good for you Frogie for leaving the safety of your bubble and making a life for yourself :)

Hugs,

JC xxx

Thanks JC:

I think Brownie is getting better. I'm hoping anyways.

I haven't been out in the real world, except to go to the store, so I knew something would get me.

Thanks for the encouragement, I really need it!

I hope your infections go away soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
3 minutes ago, Frogie said:

I tried Augmentin before and it made me really really sick. I just got done with a z-pac, which is erthromycin, and it didn't clear it up.

Understood on the Augmentin.  Erythromycin is slightly different -- zpack is azithromycin but I get it if the doctor thinks it's in the same family and wouldn't offer much additional benefit.

Keflex is different in mode of action so I'm not sure why he wouldn't try that. All of these can make you sick but Cipro can be way more significant.  Given that you have been successful with it in the past I understand why you would be okay with it.  Just keep track of your symptoms and if anything weird happens, stop the med.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

11 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Understood on the Augmentin.  Erythromycin is slightly different -- zpack is azithromycin but I get it if the doctor thinks it's in the same family and wouldn't offer much additional benefit.

Keflex is different in mode of action so I'm not sure why he wouldn't try that. All of these can make you sick but Cipro can be way more significant.  Given that you have been successful with it in the past I understand why you would be okay with it.  Just keep track of your symptoms and if anything weird happens, stop the med.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy:

I took  Erythromycin before the z-pac came out and it was great. But the little pharmacy I have here orders it and it takes a couple days to get in because the Drs order the z-pac now.

I promise I will stop the med if anything weird happens. I will keep track. Like I said I took my 1st one this morning, and my throat isn't sore. It's still red with 2 white spots on it.

I've been sucking on Halls for my cough, I don't want to take the cough syrup. The Halls seem to be fine.

Any idea on a decongestant that doesn't contain acetaminophen? And is safe?

Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Well,

I woke up this morning, feeling really anxious. My throat is still red red with 2 white spots that look like pimples.

My fiancé told me to take a shower and call the dr and get back in. I went into the bathroom to take my shower, and my face was bright red and I had welts all over my arms and stomach.

I called my fiancé, he came home. He looked at me, and told me to just get dressed and go to the dr appt. or not.

So that's what I did. The dr had no idea what caused the red face and welts. He looked at my throat and said it looked better except for the 2 little white spots. He put me on prednisone for 4 days and another z-pac. He didn't want to try any other antibiotic because of the welts, it was a reaction to something. I told him I had only taken 2 Cipro. And he said that wouldn't do it because I've taken that numerous times.

I'm not running a fever, just weird.

At least I got back on the z-pac. That should take care of the infection. 

The dr said I could take sudafed. I bought some, but the pharmacist said it could make me jittery. I'm nervous about taking it.

Nothing else to say, except I'm tired of being sick. I'm sure I got it Volunterring. I haven't been in the public except to go to the store, so hopefully I'll get over it soon. I'm going back as soon as I feel better.

Hope everyone I talk to are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Much Light and healing to you, Frogie.  I'm sorry you're feeling bad.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Much Light and healing to you, Frogie.  I'm sorry you're feeling bad.

Thanks Gridley:

I appreciate that.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

I have a couple of questions.

1.  Is it safe to take 30mg sudafed for congestion? The pharmacist said it can make me jittery with the Lexapro. Can I split the tablet? I take my Lexapro in the morning, I'm congested at night. But I don't want to be jittery and awake all night.

2.  Why are people taking Vitamin C? Does it help with WD? If so, is it safe for me to take, and how much?

Thanks,

Frogie xx

Red face and welts are two common negative reactions to antibiotics especially penicillin, and sulfa.  I did it with both of them. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

1 minute ago, brassmonkey said:

Red face and welts are two common negative reactions to antibiotics especially penicillin, and sulfa.  I did it with both of them. 

I'm very allergic to penicillin, but is Cipro a sulfa drug? Other than that I've taken a z-pac and never had a problem.

Thanks Tom, I really appreciate you helping me out!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie-- Cipro is a Fluoroquinolone which is different than penicillin or sulfa. One of the known side effects is welts/rash.  Being the "sensitive types" that we are, this could be the problem. Antibiotics are almost as tricky as ADs to figure out what is going on.  Hope things clear up soon.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Frogie-- Cipro is a Fluoroquinolone which is different than penicillin or sulfa. One of the known side effects is welts/rash.  Being the "sensitive types" that we are, this could be the problem. Antibiotics are almost as tricky as ADs to figure out what is going on.  Hope things clear up soon.

Thanks. The welts have already cleared up.

The dr put me on 4 days of prednisone (20 mg a day) and another z-pac, so should be good to go soon.

Will I ever heal? It just gets so frustrating sometimes.

Thanks,

Frogie xx

Frogie,

Of course you will heal, but (speaking from too much experience) stress and a compromised immune system does impact our healing; that's for sure.

The human body is incredibly tough despite everything it gets put through.

Its a long, slow process and we have to go with it.

HUGS,

JC xxx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

9 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Frogie,

Of course you will heal, but (speaking from too much experience) stress and a compromised immune system does impact our healing; that's for sure.

The human body is incredibly tough despite everything it gets put through.

Its a long, slow process and we have to go with it.

HUGS,

JC xxx

JC:

I'm beginning to think I'm never going to heal. There is always something wrong, although, I haven't been sick for quite a while. Just hurting myself lol...

I just hope I do as well as everyone else that has hit the big zero in my healing process, I think about that a lot after being on these horrible meds for over 20 years.

Thanks for the reassurance.

Take care,

Frogie xx

You're not the only one who is always getting sick.

Its our immune systems that have been put under strain because of prolonged stress.

The thing is, that ABs aren't good for our bodies.......I've had to take them twice and close together - gum infection in July and BV only last week.

I have been strongly advised to do "inner work" (hypnotherapy, meditation etc.,) by my naturopath, to build "ease" within myself, as opposed to the "disease" that occurs when we are constantly in distress.

Is this something you could explore to help you?

TC,

JC xxx

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Frogie

Thanks for visiting my thread recently. I am pleased to say that my back is a lot better so I have been able to get out today with my visitors.

I can't advise you re antibiotics - I know I have to be careful which ones I take but we are all different.  I do know that Sudafed is an anticongestant and can also have a stimulating effect on some people like you have had a lot of caffeine.  You may not be able to sleep taking it.  I have to avoid anything that stimulates the CNS like caffeine so I remember my Dr wouldn't give it to me when I had sinus problems.

If you have congestion could you maybe do some steam inhalations and maybe add some menthol crystals to the water? This is more natural and it has always worked for me.

I really hope you start to feel better soon.

Lots of love to you and Brownie

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

1 hour ago, Junglechicken said:

You're not the only one who is always getting sick.

Its our immune systems that have been put under strain because of prolonged stress.

The thing is, that ABs aren't good for our bodies.......I've had to take them twice and close together - gum infection in July and BV only last week.

I have been strongly advised to do "inner work" (hypnotherapy, meditation etc.,) by my naturopath, to build "ease" within myself, as opposed to the "disease" that occurs when we are constantly in distress.

Is this something you could explore to help you?

TC,

JC xxx

This is the 2nd week in a row I've been on AB, at least they are z-packs and not 10 days I have to take them. If it wasn't for 2 little white spots on my throat, the dr said the redness would eventually go away. But with the white spots, he's concerned of infection. I knew I would get sick Volunterring, but didn't think it would be this soon. Oh well, get it overwith lol... Then I won't be sick over the holidays.

I could explore what you are talking about. We just don't have the resources like everyone on here does. 

Thanks for for helping me out.

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 hour ago, Flowers said:

Hi Frogie

Thanks for visiting my thread recently. I am pleased to say that my back is a lot better so I have been able to get out today with my visitors.

I can't advise you re antibiotics - I know I have to be careful which ones I take but we are all different.  I do know that Sudafed is an anticongestant and can also have a stimulating effect on some people like you have had a lot of caffeine.  You may not be able to sleep taking it.  I have to avoid anything that stimulates the CNS like caffeine so I remember my Dr wouldn't give it to me when I had sinus problems.

If you have congestion could you maybe do some steam inhalations and maybe add some menthol crystals to the water? This is more natural and it has always worked for me.

I really hope you start to feel better soon.

Lots of love to you and Brownie

Flowers xxx

Hi Flowers:

I'm so glad your back is better and you can enjoy your visitors. It's nice to get out and about.

I figured I would get sick Volunterring because I don't go out of the house except to the store and now I'm right in the public. 

At at least my AB are only 5 days, this is the 2nd time that I've had to take them though in 2 weeks. I have 2 little white spots on my throat, otherwise he would have told me to tough it out, it's probably viral. With white spots, that's infection. Oh well, at least I'll get it overwith before the holidays.

I'm nervous about the sudafed. The pharmacist said it could make me jittery because of the Lexapro. I don't think I will take it unless I have too. I haven't taken anything in almost 2 weeks.

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice to hear from you.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie, if it is a virus the antibiotics won't do any good.  I recently was sick and had good results with colloidal silver (1 tsp under tongue for 30 seconds and swallow, twice a day) and also oregano oil in capsules (take with food).  These are anti-viral as well as antibacterial.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, Gridley said:

Frogie, if it is a virus the antibiotics won't do any good.  I recently was sick and had good results with colloidal silver (1 tsp under tongue for 30 seconds and swallow, twice a day) and also oregano oil in capsules (take with food).  These are anti-viral as well as antibacterial.

How long did you have this viral infection? This is 2 weeks now. 

I did have something the 1st go around with antibiotics, but I think it has to be viral now. I still have 1 little white spot on my throat, otherwise it's streaky red. I don't have a fever, or anything else, just the throat.

Thanks for the help.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Probably around 9-10 days.  Once I felt my throat start to get sore, I started the oregano and colloidal silver. I got better after 5-6 days and quit too soon and the sore thread came back.   So I had to go back on the meds for 5-6 more days and it cleared up.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Probably around 9-10 days.  Once I felt my throat start to get sore, I started the oregano and colloidal silver. I got better after 5-6 days and quit too soon and the sore thread came back.   So I had to go back on the meds for 5-6 more days and it cleared up.  

Mine has been 2 weeks yesterday.

• Moderator Emeritus

You could look up colloidal silver and oregano oil on Google and see what you think.  They would be available at a health food type store.  Maybe there's one in the town 16 or so miles from you.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

You could look up colloidal silver and oregano oil on Google and see what you think.  They would be available at a health food type store.  Maybe there's one in the town 16 or so miles from you.  

Thanks I'll check it out.

Hi Frogie

How is your throat and how is Brownie.  It is Saturday night here and I am at work but watching Strictly Come Dancing on TV, admiring how fit and healthy these dancers look.  Do you have such programmes with you?  How do you spend Saturday nights, I know you are in a very small town and possibly there isn't much to do.  I think it is good to keep Saturday nights special if you can, like keeping Sunday quieter, but for many years now my husband hasn't wanted to go out on a Saturday night, so now I often work.

Other than that I am fine, really hope you are too.

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

On 18 October 2017 at 10:08 PM, Frogie said:

This is the 2nd week in a row I've been on AB, at least they are z-packs and not 10 days I have to take them. If it wasn't for 2 little white spots on my throat, the dr said the redness would eventually go away. But with the white spots, he's concerned of infection. I knew I would get sick Volunterring, but didn't think it would be this soon. Oh well, get it overwith lol... Then I won't be sick over the holidays.

I could explore what you are talking about. We just don't have the resources like everyone on here does. 

Thanks for for helping me out.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Understood Frogie

xxx

Major Life Events: 

48 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Understood Frogie

xxx

Hi JC:

Thanks for all your help. You have no idea how you help me.

Did you go back to the dr? What did they say? I hope they changed your antibiotic.

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 hour ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie

How is your throat and how is Brownie.  It is Saturday night here and I am at work but watching Strictly Come Dancing on TV, admiring how fit and healthy these dancers look.  Do you have such programmes with you?  How do you spend Saturday nights, I know you are in a very small town and possibly there isn't much to do.  I think it is good to keep Saturday nights special if you can, like keeping Sunday quieter, but for many years now my husband hasn't wanted to go out on a Saturday night, so now I often work.

Other than that I am fine, really hope you are too.

Joy

Hi Joy:

I think I am doing better. No more white spots on my throat, it's just red. That could be viral now. I don't have a fever.

We have a show called Dancing with the Stars. I've watched it a few times. We usually don't do anything on Saturday night, even when we lived in the city. We might go to dinner, but that would be it. Sunday, we do laundry and watch NASCAR and football, so we don't go anywhere usually. We aren't people to go out, even when we lived at home.

My fiancé went to visit his parents today. They live in our home town. They are in their 80's and 90's, so I stayed home. I don't want them to catch whatever I have.

I think Brownie is better. She's been chasing the cat lol...

I hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Go Brownie!

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

15 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Go Brownie!

Thanks Gridley :)

Just like go Broncos! Lol...

Take care,

Frogie xx

Well...

Back to the dr I went. Just got home.

This is the start of the 3rd week of a sore throat. 1st two times treated with a zpack.

This time he said my ear is infected, and my throat is very red, but no strep. He put me on Bactrim. He said that should take care of it.

I hope so. My uncle comes tomorrow for a visit. I am tired of being sick!

Frogie xx

Frogie,

You're getting there in the healing department, though slowly and painfully!

I'm as good as deaf in both ears right now with this tinnitus.

Can't say I've had an ear infection before, but like any infection, its painful.  The ear, nose and throat are all connected so that's probably why you ended up getting an ear infection along with the strep.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: 

I'm really tired of being sick.

It's my throat for almost 3 weeks and now have to throw an ear in. I give up!

Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Well, that makes the two of us then! :rolleyes:

Get well soon.

TC,

JC xxx

Major Life Events: