Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

• Moderator Emeritus

Oh and did your liver status normalize?  Have you had labwork since you got here in Aug. 2016 repeated, liver enzymes especially?  Anyway.........I'm not sure I am going to be able to read all 43 pages.

However........hold steady for awhile with the Lexapro.  And you are doing super.

Love, peace,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Hi frogie

how are you doing is the anxiety still causing you grief. I hope you are feeling a little better. I am upright today thank goodness. Still hve anxiety but lessening a little, tinnitus raging and stomach groaning but moving so compared to the last 6 days big improvement. I’ve been doing much needed cleaning and at least if it’s downhill  tomorrow I can moan and groan somewhere clean. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Well.......I got a little ways into your introduction..........and just some questions.  Looks like you are off the Prilosec. and Zantac successfully?   Do you use Zantac still on a prn basis?  Or have the GER(gastroesophageal reflux) symptoms abated?

And superduper great that you are NOT experiencing nausea with your recent taper.  Yay!

I'm not on Prilosec or Zantac at all.

No nausea with this taper just the anxiety, but it's letting up.

Thanks...

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

33 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

how are you doing is the anxiety still causing you grief. I hope you are feeling a little better. I am upright today thank goodness. Still hve anxiety but lessening a little, tinnitus raging and stomach groaning but moving so compared to the last 6 days big improvement. I’ve been doing much needed cleaning and at least if it’s downhill  tomorrow I can moan and groan somewhere clean. 

Hi Scorpio:

I'm glad to hear you are up moving around. Sorry you still have the anxiety, tinnitus and raging stomach.

My stomach comes and goes because of all the antibiotics I was on, nothing to do with the taper. And now my ear hurts again! So tired of this!

My anxiety is starting to let up, so I'll just have to watch it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

I know some here have not done well with probiotics but you might consider a low dosage to replenish the good gut bacteria that was killed by your four rounds of antibiotics.  It could help your stomach.  I take a probiotic daily.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

2 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

No.........I don't really go through "new" symptoms that are horrible anymore or nearly of the intensity that they once were.  I guess I just had expectations of where I would be right now. and all that I would be doing.........then disappointments that I wasn't able to.  But I feel like I am doing okay with the day at a time mentality and am really quite fortunate.   I still have a lot of "symptoms"..........it just gets easier to ride them on out now I think.  I'm really kind of ADD like or a little thought disordered now.......... lately anyway.........it usually passes though and I get more focus, etc.  Nothing dangerous or harmful.

How did you sleep?  Is your fiances hot tub outside?  I think you should ask him about using it yourself from time to time.  It sounds perfect for calming.........the nice hot water and jets. 

I'm glad CC gave you some more info. on using and diluting your liquid Lexapro.  Are you still holding at the 4.9mg.???   Day 4?  Do you take in the morning?  That's when I took mine.  Next time.........after the holidays and depending on how you do.........I really think you might consider just going down 5% of 4.9mg. or even less.........  to try and stay as stable and functional as possible.........no need to rush these things.  People in general really do seem to do better with slow, educated tapers.........and there are a ton of them here to support and encourage you.

I'm going to go on back to the start of your intro. sometime today again as I can't recall why you were prescribed the Lexapro or if you suffered depression too(like me) or just anxiety. 

Take care and enjoy a beautiful Sunday........sunshine and blue skies here........

mmt

I'm glad you don't go through symptoms too much anymore. You are very lucky.

I sleep fine always have. My fiancés hottub is outside. I can use it anytime I want. I just don't like using it by myself and he gets in at 4am.

I don't know what I'm going to do on my next taper. But it will be after Christmas. I do know that much. I usually don't have much problem on the 10% taper. A little nausea for a couple of days, but this anxiety really got me this time.

I took Lexapro for depression. Started it 20 years ago when going through a divorce and no dr ever took me off if it. So here I am doing it myself. My dr is working really well with me and said to just take my time. He has my back. Which is nice.

I take it in the morning. I just want off of it, as long as all I get when I taper is a little nausea, I'll keep on the 10%. Then I have Xanax to taper.

Thanks for the advise. I really appreciate it.

Have you gotten snow yet? Denver did but where we live we haven't gotten any. It's sunny and blue sky here too.

Take care,

Frogie xx

1 hour ago, manymoretodays said:

Oh and did your liver status normalize?  Have you had labwork since you got here in Aug. 2016 repeated, liver enzymes especially?  Anyway.........I'm not sure I am going to be able to read all 43 pages.

However........hold steady for awhile with the Lexapro.  And you are doing super.

Love, peace,

mmt

I had my liver checked in May when I had my physical and the dr didn't say anything about it being out of whack or anything. I'm still taking milk thistle.

I'm holding with the Lexapro, as you can see with my signature I learned a horrible lesson. They psychiatrist had me going down way too fast. Don't talk with him anymore. I go down about every 30 days or a little longer depends on how I feel.

Take care,

Frogie xx

16 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I know some here have not done well with probiotics but you might consider a low dosage to replenish the good gut bacteria that was killed by your four rounds of antibiotics.  It could help your stomach.  I take a probiotic daily.

Hi Gridley:

I take a probiotic every day.

Thanks for stopping by and giving me the info. You really help me a lot.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie

I thought of you today.  We went to a large shopping town and shopped a lot.  I got 4 new pairs of trousers, a coat, a bra, some makeup and my husband got a shirt, slippers, socks and vests.  All boring stuff really but we enjoyed shopping together.  The shops are full of Christmas stuff, most of which we don't need or want but it is nice to look at 'things'.  We also got an outfit for Esme, dress, top and tights all to match.

We also went out for lunch.  There is a fish and chip restaurant that we have been going to for over 30 years, a posh one with starters and desserts and wine.  It was a real treat. 

All this has taken my mind off my citalopram difficulties, a truly welcome diversion and I feel quite refreshed.  I actually wanted to buy 2 bras but they only had one in of the size I wanted so I will have to buy another online.

I bought my bra in the same large shop I had my first panic attack in 41 years ago, and am happy to report that I feel much better these days.  So although I have been heavily medicated all these years, I have survived and do feel better, although of course that is probably despite the drugs rather than because of them.

I wanted to take in a show tonight of some sorts but my husband wanted to get back to the farm.  A livestock farm always demands that someone is here, so my husband and son usually cover each other for time away.

My husband found the drive back, 45 mins, a bit much on his new hip, but he is eating much better as a result of giving up his tramadol.

I have started taking apple cider vinegar to dull my appetite for sweet stuff and to help with my digestion.  Someone at my leisure centre suggested it.  I think it is working.

If I can get down a bit lower with the citalopram it will help my weight.  I am almost sure that my weight gain is because the citalopram increases my appetite.

it seems that your anxiety is easing Frogie, I am so pleased for you.

Can you let us know over the next few days how you are doing?  Especially anxiety/nausea wise.  It really helps to paint a picture of withdrawal for me.

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

11 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

Frogie

I thought of you today.  We went to a large shopping town and shopped a lot.  I got 4 new pairs of trousers, a coat, a bra, some makeup and my husband got a shirt, slippers, socks and vests.  All boring stuff really but we enjoyed shopping together.  The shops are full of Christmas stuff, most of which we don't need or want but it is nice to look at 'things'.  We also got an outfit for Esme, dress, top and tights all to match.

We also went out for lunch.  There is a fish and chip restaurant that we have been going to for over 30 years, a posh one with starters and desserts and wine.  It was a real treat. 

All this has taken my mind off my citalopram difficulties, a truly welcome diversion and I feel quite refreshed.  I actually wanted to buy 2 bras but they only had one in of the size I wanted so I will have to buy another online.

I bought my bra in the same large shop I had my first panic attack in 41 years ago, and am happy to report that I feel much better these days.  So although I have been heavily medicated all these years, I have survived and do feel better, although of course that is probably despite the drugs rather than because of them.

I wanted to take in a show tonight of some sorts but my husband wanted to get back to the farm.  A livestock farm always demands that someone is here, so my husband and son usually cover each other for time away.

My husband found the drive back, 45 mins, a bit much on his new hip, but he is eating much better as a result of giving up his tramadol.

I have started taking apple cider vinegar to dull my appetite for sweet stuff and to help with my digestion.  Someone at my leisure centre suggested it.  I think it is working.

If I can get down a bit lower with the citalopram it will help my weight.  I am almost sure that my weight gain is because the citalopram increases my appetite.

it seems that your anxiety is easing Frogie, I am so pleased for you.

Can you let us know over the next few days how you are doing?  Especially anxiety/nausea wise.  It really helps to paint a picture of withdrawal for me.

Joy

Ho Joy:

You are so lucky to get to go shopping. I would give anything to go to a mall. I bought my last 2 bras at shopko (it's like a very small expensive Walmart), but a good brand. Very comfy.

I'm glad you had a good time and a nice meal.

I did my usual and did my online stuff today. I got my granddaughter Christmas presents. I got her a pair of winter boots, a pair of tennis shoes that light up with a remote control, an iPod shuffle with earbuds, a new robe, 2 pairs of pajamas and some slippers. Then "Santa" got her a bunch of make up (she loves to play make up), I get her the cheap stuff, bath and body stuff, lip gloss, Chapstick in different favors, and a new bag to put it all in. I think she did pretty good. I'll get her a chocolate Santa at the store, but then I'm pretty much done with her. We get my Uncle a gift card but we don't buy for anyone else.

I bet Esme's outfit is darling as she is. I can just imagine what she looks like.

I'm sorry you didn't get to watch a show. I can't remember the last time we did that. But when we get home, they have a new theater and we can go then.

I'm glad your husband was at least able to do as much as he did. That's a great accomplishment without his pain meds and having his hip replaced. I understand about the farm. My fiancé works for a Co-Op so when it's harvest, he's gone a lot. I'll be so glad when he gets a normal job, and we can go home.

I told him I updated his resume and he didn't even get angry, which tells me he's ready to move on to better things and being home again.

My anxiety is almost non-exisitant today. So if that's my "new" taper symptom, I can handle it for about 3 days. Beats being nauseous for a week. I will keep you up to date.

I tried Apple Cider Vinegar and couldn't stomach it literally. It was a nightmare. I hope it works for you.

It was nice to hear from you as always.

Glad you thought of me. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi frogie

hope the ear problem is not related to what your antibiotics were for and not too painful. Brilliant that the anxiety is easing such a relief isn’t it. The physical symptoms I find hard but can cope but anxiety and depression when they hit completely floor me. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

4 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

hope the ear problem is not related to what your antibiotics were for and not too painful. Brilliant that the anxiety is easing such a relief isn’t it. The physical symptoms I find hard but can cope but anxiety and depression when they hit completely floor me. 

Scirpio:

I hope I'm not getting sick again. We went out yesterday, the wind blows all the time where I live.

Last night my ear was hurting again. It's not too painful, just annoying.

Anxiety about the worst. I'm so glad it's letting up.

Thanks for checking on me.

Hope you are feeling well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay.  Saw the replies.  Glad the liver problems are history as is the use of GER drugs. 

So sorry that you have had such a time of it, with the meds/drugs and never given full disclosure, like most of us, and now doing this very difficult thing of coming off, after all these years..........with the added limitations of  disabilities of one hand and foot.  Do you have to use a cane?

Also okay with keeping the peace with fiance..........and allowing him full control of "His hottub" but bummer,  that would be nice to sit on outside with a cuppa tea in the bubbly hot water once in awhile.   Here is to your bathroom remodel ASAP, complete with the finest soaking tub!!!!

Just snow up a bit higher now.  Blue skies to overcast today........50's farenheit.........had hoped to do housework or yardwork but just too distracted and have cried twice now.........talked to my Mom who is nearly 90 and intact.........and sure hope to get there for her bday early Febr.  She's in Tucson, AZ............not where I grew up or came from and but not too far............so it's very likely I will get there on or before her big day.  So just sentimental tears really.  The other tears were just while talking to a friend........sentimental again I guess........maybe just frustration tears or something.  It's hard being so slow sometimes when I have such a distracted mind.  Just getting to a bath myself now at 2:30 in the afternoon.  Tis okay........I was out most of yesterday and social.  It always gets better if I am patient with myself.

Hugs Frogie.  Love,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

14 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Okay.  Saw the replies.  Glad the liver problems are history as is the use of GER drugs. 

So sorry that you have had such a time of it, with the meds/drugs and never given full disclosure, like most of us, and now doing this very difficult thing of coming off, after all these years..........with the added limitations of  disabilities of one hand and foot.  Do you have to use a cane?

Also okay with keeping the peace with fiance..........and allowing him full control of "His hottub" but bummer,  that would be nice to sit on outside with a cuppa tea in the bubbly hot water once in awhile.   Here is to your bathroom remodel ASAP, complete with the finest soaking tub!!!!

Just snow up a bit higher now.  Blue skies to overcast today........50's farenheit.........had hoped to do housework or yardwork but just too distracted and have cried twice now.........talked to my Mom who is nearly 90 and intact.........and sure hope to get there for her bday early Febr.  She's in Tucson, AZ............not where I grew up or came from and but not too far............so it's very likely I will get there on or before her big day.  So just sentimental tears really.  The other tears were just while talking to a friend........sentimental again I guess........maybe just frustration tears or something.  It's hard being so slow sometimes when I have such a distracted mind.  Just getting to a bath myself now at 2:30 in the afternoon.  Tis okay........I was out most of yesterday and social.  It always gets better if I am patient with myself.

Hugs Frogie.  Love,

mmt

It's been the pits coming off of everything. The Drs just kept giving more and more. And I just took it. I'll be so glad to be off these last 2,

I can go in the hottub, but it's a pain to have to uncover it, and then put the cover back on.

No I don't use a cane. I hobble once in a while when my foot aches, and I wear a brace on my hand, but I'm used to it.

I was out yesterday, to the grocery store (if that's what you call it).

I haven't taken a shower yet, probably before bed.

It will be nice to have a tub again! Not too much longer.

Well, my laundry is done. Time to put it away.

Thanks for stopping by.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi frogie’

ooh we had an evil wind here today blowing in from the north. Hate it. I love a breeze in the summer but hate the winter rain, cold, wind. 

I now sit and wait for spring to come back and shiver for the next 6 months. 

Hopefully your ear will settle down and it is just a reaction from cold air. You don’t need that along with those horrible symptoms. 

Feeling better that the past week thank goodness, still anxiety but not as severe, along with the other rotten symptoms but can cope once the anxiety eases a little. I just pray for a window like I used to have when I felt completely normal for a while. Boundless energy and optimism and enjoying going out making plans. Still waiting for those days to return. 

3 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie’

ooh we had an evil wind here today blowing in from the north. Hate it. I love a breeze in the summer but hate the winter rain, cold, wind. 

I now sit and wait for spring to come back and shiver for the next 6 months. 

Hopefully your ear will settle down and it is just a reaction from cold air. You don’t need that along with those horrible symptoms. 

Feeling better that the past week thank goodness, still anxiety but not as severe, along with the other rotten symptoms but can cope once the anxiety eases a little. I just pray for a window like I used to have when I felt completely normal for a while. Boundless energy and optimism and enjoying going out making plans. Still waiting for those days to return. 

I can handle most weather except wind. I really struggle with it.

I know all about anxiety. I'm sorry you are dealing with it. Do you take anything for it? I take Xanax. I'll be glad to be off of that too.

I just don't want to take meds anymore.

I hope it was just the wind that aggravated my ear and I don't have another ear infection. I'm sick if being sick.

I'm waiting for boundless energy and enjoying going out too.

I think we are a lot alike.

But we will make it. We have great people right along with us.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Question for anyone that could help me:

Last Thursday (Nov 9th) I tapered 10% and had horrible anxiety. Usually I have nausea for 3-4 days but this anxiety was horrific.

It has subsided a lot, hardly any now.

But, what I was wondering was do I now need to wait 30 days to try the Brassmonkey slide to see if my symptoms wouldn't be so bad, or could I go down 2.5% next Thursday (be Friday I'm not doing it on thanksgiving).

Thanks for anyone that can answer my question, I really appreciate it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I was just reading brassmonkeys explanation of his slide method to another. 

Minimum wait 1 mos., since your recent 10% drop.  Then 2.5% drop each week for 4 weeks.  Then hold for 2 weeks before doing again.

So yes.......wait at least 30 days.

Hope that helps.

3 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

I was just reading brassmonkeys explanation of his slide method to another. 

Minimum wait 1 mos., since your recent 10% drop.  Then 2.5% drop each week for 4 weeks.  Then hold for 2 weeks before doing again.

So yes.......wait at least 30 days.

Hope that helps.

Thanks answered my question...

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Frogie said:

I really appreciate all the work you put into this.

I will make sure to keep this so when I am ready, I'll have the information.

You're welcome.  It can be hard to get your head around it.  I'm a visual person and have difficulty doing mental maths.  That's why I provided all of my calculations and the extra written details so that you can see how it works. If you start with the simple and what you understand you can then build on that step by step.  It is also helpful to be able to make a calculation (like the final multiplication) so that you can be sure that you have it correct.  Once you start doing the more complicated reduction amounts it will be helpful to write down what you are doing, because it can be easy to forget or your have an "off" day when your mind isn't as alert.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

You're welcome.  It can be hard to get your head around it.  I'm a visual person and have difficulty doing mental maths.  That's why I provided all of my calculations and the extra written details so that you can see how it works. If you start with the simple and what you understand you can then build on that step by step.  It is also helpful to be able to make a calculation (like the final multiplication) so that you can be sure that you have it correct.  Once you start doing the more complicated reduction amounts it will be helpful to write down what you are doing, because it can be easy to forget or your have an "off" day when your mind isn't as alert.

I really do appreciate all the hard work you did for me. I'm a visual person also, so this will help a lot if/when the time comes.

I will be doing the easiest as possible lol...

I'm sure even with the visualization, I'll be asking questions when the time comes.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Frogie said:

I'm sure even with the visualization, I'll be asking questions when the time comes.

It's a good idea to get it checked so that you don't have the added worry about whether you got it right.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

3 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

It's a good idea to get it checked so that you don't have the added worry about whether you got it right.

Yes it is thanks Chessiecat for helping me. I really appreciate it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie,  

Was just reading on Flowers' thread that you and your fiance decided you should pass on the volunteering until the 1st of the year.  It's SO TOTALLY not my  place but that never stops me -- :rolleyes: -- I think that is the wrong thought process.  If you sit at home trying to "fight off" the anxiety or "run from it" that gives it power over you.  If you go out and do something that makes you feel good about yourself and distracts you odds are that you will feel much better than if you stay home.  You didn't stop because you were anxious -- you got sick.  

I would encourage you to rethink this -- even though it's not my place to say.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

1 minute ago, apace41 said:

Frogie,  

Was just reading on Flowers' thread that you and your fiance decided you should pass on the volunteering until the 1st of the year.  It's SO TOTALLY not my  place but that never stops me -- :rolleyes: -- I think that is the wrong thought process.  If you sit at home trying to "fight off" the anxiety or "run from it" that gives it power over you.  If you go out and do something that makes you feel good about yourself and distracts you odds are that you will feel much better than if you stay home.  You didn't stop because you were anxious -- you got sick.  

I would encourage you to rethink this -- even though it's not my place to say.

Best,

Andy

Thanks Andy:

I will talk to my fiancé again tonight about it.

Just thought that it would be better to wait until the 1st of the year to start back up because of the holidays coming.

My Uncle will be here for both Thanksgiving and Christmas and somehow, we are spending some time with my granddaughter and his family.

You do make a lot of sense though.

I really appreciate your input.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you took it in the spirit it was intended.  I have the image of you sitting alone in your rocking chair with Brownie much of the day waiting for your fiance to come home and messaging people on SA.  I'm sure there's more to it but I can imagine that if you feel isolated that can greatly exacerbate feelings of anxiety and, to be honest, any bad feeling.  Getting out and having a purpose and place to go while you are healing would be a big plus for you in my estimation.

Since I'm good at overstepping my bounds, I would suggest that you take the lead on making this decision rather than deferring to your fiance.

Now I'll shut up.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Hello Frogie

My goodness you get up early. It is lovely that you do it to spend time with your fiance though.

Do you get much snow in the winter? I bet it is so pretty but I don't think I could stand the cold after living in the warmth for so long.

Following on from Andy's thoughts re returning to your job - maybe you could try one day and see how you go. If you explain you are getting over an illness and may not be up to it they will understand I am sure.  Just being out of the house might do you good. It always helps me to engage with others unless I am totally whacked like I am now!

Lots of love

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

3 minutes ago, apace41 said:

I'm glad you took it in the spirit it was intended.  I have the image of you sitting alone in your rocking chair with Brownie much of the day waiting for your fiance to come home and messaging people on SA.  I'm sure there's more to it but I can imagine that if you feel isolated that can greatly exacerbate feelings of anxiety and, to be honest, any bad feeling.  Getting out and having a purpose and place to go while you are healing would be a big plus for you in my estimation.

Since I'm good at overstepping my bounds, I would suggest that you take the lead on making this decision rather than deferring to your fiance.

Now I'll shut up.

Best,

Andy

Andy:

You never have to shut up when giving advise. I really do appreciate your advise.

I do sit in my chair with Brownie most of the day. I do try to do things around the house, dust, vacuum, pick up after my fiancé lol...

I talk and text on the phone a lot too.

I just need to get a schedule of who's coming when. I know I have to go to my granddaughter, and we have to go to his family, so that needs to be figured out. My Uncle will come out a couple days before the holiday, and leave the Monday after (at least that's what he usually does). Guess I could take them with me. The place that I volunteer at wouldn't mind.

I still need to find out what days my fiancé is taking off during the holidays so I can work around him.

Thanks for helping me out.

Now I'll shut up lol...

Take care,

Frogie xx

P.S. I don't sit on SA all day, I just never sign out. My iPad is a pain to try to get back on, so I just leave a lot of things running.

7 minutes ago, Flowers said:

Hello Frogie

My goodness you get up early. It is lovely that you do it to spend time with your fiance though.

Do you get much snow in the winter? I bet it is so pretty but I don't think I could stand the cold after living in the warmth for so long.

Following on from Andy's thoughts re returning to your job - maybe you could try one day and see how you go. If you explain you are getting over an illness and may not be up to it they will understand I am sure.  Just being out of the house might do you good. It always helps me to engage with others unless I am totally whacked like I am now!

Lots of love

Flowers xxx

Hi Flowers:

Andy is right. 

You our can read my thread, I just wrote back to him.

I need to figure out when my Uncle is coming, and when we are going to see my granddaughter and his family. And when he is taking off so I can do this around him.

I'm sure it would do me good to get out again. 

We we used to get quite a bit of snow, starting in October, but we don't have any yet. It's really pretty. And I get to wear my sweaters and boots. I wish it would snow, I'm missing it. I think it's global warming, but I'm no expert.

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it!

Take care,

Frogie xx

No problem Frogie. 

You have a lot to organise but it sounds like the holidays will be fun for you having visitors and visiting your granddaughter.

Sometimes we can't see what might be best for ourselves so thank God for Andy!! Where would we be without him and the other mods of course.

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Just now, Flowers said:

No problem Frogie. 

You have a lot to organise but it sounds like the holidays will be fun for you having visitors and visiting your granddaughter.

Sometimes we can't see what might be best for ourselves so thank God for Andy!! Where would we be without him and the other mods of course.

Love from Flowers xxx

Flowers:

Unfortunatley where we live, no one wants to come see us except my Uncle, so we have to go see them.

I will be so glad when we get to move back home. Life will be much easier.

I don't see what's best for me, so you and I can thank God for Andy and all the other mods. I don't know what I would do without this site. It's helped me so much. And friends like you and everyone else.

Do you have holidays like us? Just curious.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Andy:

Can I PM you? Do you have time to read it and respond? If you don't, I understand.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Sorry Frogie - I forgot you are living where it seems to be fairly isolated and not so friendly. I hope you get home soon where you will be happier.

The holidays here are a little different to anywhere else I have ever lived.  I know you have Thanksgiving as was in Maine one year for it. We really enjoyed our stay.

When we first came here  many years ago you couldn't buy a Christmas tree, lights or any decorations.  Street lights were put up on Christmas Eve and all the shops in town put little fir trees outside decorated with  red bows. Carols were piped through the streets as people did their shopping. It was rather quaint and not commercial. Nowadays the place is full of Christmas stuff already!

Christmas Eve is the time the Spanish get together with their families and have a special meal. It tends to be suckling pig or something fishy.  They don't really do much on Christmas Day or have Boxing Day like we do in UK. The next celebration is New Years Eve but again that is usually a quiet family time unless you go to something organised that will have fireworks. 

Then we have Three Kings on 5/6 January. There are parades of the three kings in some towns and this is when presents are exchanged. 

We don't have any family so are usually on our own. We go up to the Ski Village in Granada on Christmas Day and play in the snow and then come down for our dinner in the sunshine! If we have any friends around at the time they join us.

Do you send Christmas Cards? The Spanish don't so I usually have to get mine online.

Flowers xxx

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Can I PM you?

Sure.  I will do my best.

Just now, apace41 said:

Sure.  I will do my best.

Thanks...

1 hour ago, Flowers said:

Sorry Frogie - I forgot you are living where it seems to be fairly isolated and not so friendly. I hope you get home soon where you will be happier.

The holidays here are a little different to anywhere else I have ever lived.  I know you have Thanksgiving as was in Maine one year for it. We really enjoyed our stay.

When we first came here  many years ago you couldn't buy a Christmas tree, lights or any decorations.  Street lights were put up on Christmas Eve and all the shops in town put little fir trees outside decorated with  red bows. Carols were piped through the streets as people did their shopping. It was rather quaint and not commercial. Nowadays the place is full of Christmas stuff already!

Christmas Eve is the time the Spanish get together with their families and have a special meal. It tends to be suckling pig or something fishy.  They don't really do much on Christmas Day or have Boxing Day like we do in UK. The next celebration is New Years Eve but again that is usually a quiet family time unless you go to something organised that will have fireworks. 

Then we have Three Kings on 5/6 January. There are parades of the three kings in some towns and this is when presents are exchanged. 

We don't have any family so are usually on our own. We go up to the Ski Village in Granada on Christmas Day and play in the snow and then come down for our dinner in the sunshine! If we have any friends around at the time they join us.

Do you send Christmas Cards? The Spanish don't so I usually have to get mine online.

Flowers xxx

Hi Flowers:

Our Thanksgiving is getting really commercialized. You eat the turkey dinner, watch parades on tv, and football. Then all the stores are open so you do your Christmas shopping then. They have great deals. But we can't do that out here, we don't have the stores. I spent the weekend ordering my granddaughter's presents on line before they ran out of what she wanted.

Christmas is commercialized too. It isn't like when I was a child. You went to Christmas Eve services and then had a simple dinner with family. Then you went home and went to bed so Santa would come. Christmas Day you spent with your family. We get to see my Uncle for Christmas, but I'm an only child and my parents have passed away. My kids have their own family so we are on our own here. 

I didnt know anything about the Three Kings and your presents in January, that's interesting.

I hope we get snow for Christmas or it just doesn't "feel" like Christmas.

I do send out just a few cards, not many. It's easier, cheaper, but not as personal to text people.

Take care,

Frogie xx