SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

7 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

is your doctor sympathetic. Does he know anything about withdrawal or just like the rest of them. I can’t think of anything to suggest. When mine went the first time I was prescribed co-proxamol. Which is codeine and paracetamol. Strong and way too strong for me so only took one dose and gave up. The other drug was diazepam and I certainly don’t recommend that either. 

Im so sorry you are enduring this as well as w/d. It’s miserable. And only wish I could help more. 

Hopefully the doctor can help. Let ya know what he says. 

Thinking of you. 

Hi Scorpio:

My dr is great. He put me on liquid Lexapro and lets me taper how I want.

I just don't know what to take for the pain that won't interfere with the Lexapro.

Guess I'll find out, and I'll let you know.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Gridley:

I hurt my back. Went to the chiropractor felt better. This morning got up hurting again. The chiropractor won't be back until after Thanksgiving.

I have an appt with my dr to get something for pain in about an hour.

What pain meds are safe to take with Lexapro and Xanax?

Thanks,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie, 

Paracetamol is safe at low dosages. These are no interactions between it and Lexapro and Xanax on the Drug Interaction Chart.  I take it from time to time because I too have chiropractic issues.  You can also use a cold pack or ice pack on the area, 20 minutes on, one hour off.

Hope this helps.

Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

7 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Frogie, 

Paracetamol is safe at low dosages. These are no interactions between it and Lexapro and Xanax on the Drug Interaction Chart.  I take it from time to time because I too have chiropractic issues.  You can also use a cold pack or ice pack on the area, 20 minutes on, one hour off.

Hope this helps.

Gridley

I've tried that, doesn't work. That's why I'm going to the dr.

I talked to the pharmacist and she said almost any pain med is ok, but I don't really trust that answer.

Thanks,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Please be careful and run whatever the doctor prescribes through a drug interaction checker with Xanax and Lexapro.  It's important to remember how sensitized our CNS is.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

So sorry Frogie that the chiropractic adjustment only offered temporary relief.  Hopefully by now you have decided whether some short term narcotic/opiate, or short or long acting anti-inflammatory, or even Tylenol  will offer you the best and safest relief, for your holiday adventures.  I think you had said the ibuprofen( a anti inflammatory created distress on day one or two of the back pain).  I had a wrist sprain early on in withdrawal and did okay with the longer acting type(Naproxen for just one dose.  Then ice and a splint and relief came probably by day 4 or so.  Also heat and as much immobility as you can manage.  Whatever you have found to help even a little.  Also acupressure worked for me as well, when I had pretty severe hip flexor pain.

I don't think any of those will really interact with withdrawal or the medications you are on at present.  Sometimes you just have to make the best decision for you, while taking in and listening to the Dr."s "suggestions".

Drugs.com is my usual go to site for anything prescription now.  I can bring it on up on my phone even, and read all about whatever is "suggested".  And also check interactions is important as Gridley mentioned above.......especially if you are going to do a narcotic/opiate.

Hope you are home now and out of pain for a bit. 

Happy Thanksgiving, even if you have to bail on travel tomorrow.  It won't always be like this.  You were able to fully participate in the party with your fiance.   And then the next adjustment with the chiro may hold on friday.

Once in college I did Thanksgiving all on my own.  And I think last year I pretty much pouted and self pitied myself sicker.  Let's this year remember all those who don't have a roof over their heads, or nearly enough to eat, or who may have it a whole lot worse, than those of us who chose/choose to undertake this whole "getting off of meds. adventure".

I'll be off to the bigger city tomorrow to gather with outlaws(exe's family and son) and then back to my area and will do some tidying up at the palace(main AA place) after/during hopefully much food and laughter.  A beautiful sky at sunset here tonight.  I am getting into some creative cooking.  Yay!

Love, healing, faith,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

12 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

So sorry Frogie that the chiropractic adjustment only offered temporary relief.  Hopefully by now you have decided whether some short term narcotic/opiate, or short or long acting anti-inflammatory, or even Tylenol  will offer you the best and safest relief, for your holiday adventures.  I think you had said the ibuprofen( a anti inflammatory created distress on day one or two of the back pain).  I had a wrist sprain early on in withdrawal and did okay with the longer acting type(Naproxen for just one dose.  Then ice and a splint and relief came probably by day 4 or so.  Also heat and as much immobility as you can manage.  Whatever you have found to help even a little.  Also acupressure worked for me as well, when I had pretty severe hip flexor pain.

I don't think any of those will really interact with withdrawal or the medications you are on at present.  Sometimes you just have to make the best decision for you, while taking in and listening to the Dr."s "suggestions".

Drugs.com is my usual go to site for anything prescription now.  I can bring it on up on my phone even, and read all about whatever is "suggested".

Hope you are home now and out of pain for a bit. 

Happy Thanksgiving, even if you have to bail on travel tomorrow.  It won't always be like this.  You were able to fully participate in the party with your fiance.   And then the next adjustment with the chiro may hold on friday.

Once in college I did Thanksgiving all on my own.  And I think last year I pretty much pouted and self pitied myself sicker.  Let's this year remember all those who don't have a roof over their heads, or nearly enough to eat, or who may have it a whole lot worse, than those of us who chose/choose to undertake this whole "getting off of meds. adventure".

I'll be off to the bigger city tomorrow to gather with outlaw(exe's family and son) and then back to my area and will do some tidying up at the palace(main AA place) after/during hopefully much food and laughter.  A beautiful sky at sunset here tonight.  I am getting into some creative cooking.  Yay!

Love, healing, faith,

mmt

Thanks MMT and Gridley:

Well, got back from the dr. Have an anti inflammatory, a short term pain med, and something that I take for 4 days. No Thanksgiving in my hometown. Made my fiancés mom cry. I'm sure his brother is going to dog me to no end. He doesn't care for me anyways and likewise. My fiancé is at the store right now buying what he can. I feel so bad. One of his other brothers ended up flat on his back too. Hurt at work, so he and his wife won't be there either.

But the dr and I went through drugs.com and made sure I could take everything and it wouldn't interfere with my WD. He was so nice.

I told my fiancé to take my Uncle and go, that Brownie and I could stay home and watch tv. But he said he wasn't leaving me alone. Bless his heart.

So that's the gist (spelling?). At least we will have some sort of Thanksgiving.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Frogie 

sorry you’ve had to change your plans and won’t be able to make the trip. Seems pretty typical for many of us these days. I feel bad for your fiancés Mom too. I’m hoping I can make it to my moms just 7 miles. Not sure my cns will be able to handle a houseful. But mmt is so right. Let’s be thankful for what we have. 

i hope the meds give you some relief. And I hope your Thanksgiving ends up being very special.   xx lg

Lex  4.3mg,  3/2/18  Ativan ,5 mg,  lunesta 2 mg , toprol  25 mg                                                            

Oct 16-28 2018 C/O to 19 mg V from 1.5 mg Ativan, 1.3 mg lunesta 

jan 22 2019- 11 mg V

jan 23 - pneumonia, 2 AB’s. 

Hold taper

july 5- 10.72 V

July 6- 11 mg V- ugly bad

july 11- 10.72 mg V, 4.3 lex, 

25 mg toprol

8 minutes ago, Littlegrandma said:

Frogie 

sorry you’ve had to change your plans and won’t be able to make the trip. Seems pretty typical for many of us these days. I feel bad for your fiancés Mom too. I’m hoping I can make it to my moms just 7 miles. Not sure my cns will be able to handle a houseful. But mmt is so right. Let’s be thankful for what we have. 

i hope the meds give you some relief. And I hope your Thanksgiving ends up being very special.   xx lg

Thanks LG:

I felt bad but it is what it is . Could be worse, I could be in the hospital. 

I hope you make it. But I totally understand the house full. It's only going to be me, my Uncle , fiancé and Brownie, so quiet.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi frogie

happy to read that your dr was really helpful and hopefully the painkillers will do their job quickly. So sorry that you are not able to travel to your fiancés family but being tucked up at home just the two of you sounds good and less stressful. 

Happy thanksgiving. Hope you manage to enjoy the day. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

I heard a pharmacist the other day say you shouldn't take citalopram and ibuprofen together cos of risk of stomach bleeding.  Is lexapro is the same as citalopram.  You need to check.

Joy 

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

• Moderator Emeritus

Escitolopram is generic for Lexapro.  Citalopram, what you are on, is generic for Celexa here in the States.  Some similarities.  Some risks I'm sure.  I did see that her Dr. plugged all her meds. into Drugs.com and went over "possible" interactions.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

5 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

happy to read that your dr was really helpful and hopefully the painkillers will do their job quickly. So sorry that you are not able to travel to your fiancés family but being tucked up at home just the two of you sounds good and less stressful. 

Happy thanksgiving. Hope you manage to enjoy the day. 

Hi Scorpio:

It just makes me feel bad about his mom.

My Uncle is here, but that's ok at least we have some family.

Thanks.

Take care,

Frogie xx

40 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

I heard a pharmacist the other day say you shouldn't take citalopram and ibuprofen together cos of risk of stomach bleeding.  Is lexapro is the same as citalopram.  You need to check.

Joy 

Hi Joy:

I'm not on anything that has ibuprofen in it. But my dr said you need to be on a hefty dose of both Lexapro and ibuprofen to have a problem.

My dr and I went over everything and I also asked the pharmacist, so I think I'm pretty safe.

Thanks for checking on me though. I really appreciate it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

5 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Escitolopram is generic for Lexapro.  Citalopram, what you are on, is generic for Celexa here in the States.  Some similarities.  Some risks I'm sure.  I did see that her Dr. plugged all her meds. into Drugs.com and went over "possible" interactions.

We went over everything and so did the pharmacist so I think I'm ok.

Thanks...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Same to you Frogs. 

I slept 9-5 and now putzing in the kitchen again........browsing the internet, causing havoc/whatever.......back to Indian flute music..........Ooooommmmmm.  I should really suit on up and take a walk.  I'm really kind of excited to go on back to the "avenues" area of the bigger city, where I used to live when I first came here.   Envious a bit of your temporary drugged bliss........however not of your physical pain.  A little nervous........outlaw family and ex, but it always goes fine.........I am just so emotionally raw lately.........using all my skills and tools though.........all of them.......spiritual and psychological.    Holidays- Hollow days as a friend of mine says........are/can be hard.........memories, expectations, etc.   

Love, peace, healing/"in recovery", growth and faith, 

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus
46 minutes ago, Frogie said:

Hi Joy:

I'm not on anything that has ibuprofen in it. But my dr said you need to be on a hefty dose of both Lexapro and ibuprofen to have a problem.

My dr and I went over everything and I also asked the pharmacist, so I think I'm pretty safe.

Thanks for checking on me though. I really appreciate it.

Take care,

Frogie xx

1. What's your anti inflammatory then?  Steroid?  Naproxen is a high dose, longer acting form of ibuprofen.   Prednisone or other?  Prednisone is a steroid.

2. pain killer

3. unknown....?

Anyway.......short term and then more chiro, correct?

Best for back healing and pain relief,

busybody mmt

1 minute ago, manymoretodays said:

1. What's your anti inflammatory then?  Steroid?  Naproxen is a high dose, longer acting form of ibuprofen.   Steroid?  Prednisone or other?

2. pain killer

3. unknown....?

Anyway.......short term and then more chiro, correct?

Best for back healing and pain relief,

busybody mmt

I know I'm on Flexril, which my dr and I had a huge talk about that because they say not to take it with Lexapro, but he said it was because of seritonin syndrome. And since I'm on a low dose of Lexapro, I would be fine. Percocet, just 1/2 tablet if I need it and an anti inflammatory (can't remember the name) I think it's Robaxin, or something like that. He was so kind. He spent I bet 30-45 minutes going through all the meds with me so I would be ok. No steriod. Stretching and heat/ice. Then the pharmacist and I went over it all too.

Short term 4 days that will get me by for the chiropractor.

I should feel better by then.

Thanks for asking.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
10 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Naproxen is a high dose, longer acting form of ibuprofen.  

Naproxen and ibuprofen are two different kinds of NSAIDs.  They may have similar mechanisms of action and similar side effects but they are not the same.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Just now, apace41 said:

Naproxen and ibuprofen are two different kinds of NSAIDs.  They may have similar mechanisms of action and similar side effects but they are not the same.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy,

I was dumb and took Bayer Back & Body which is asprin. But now I have it under control. You are correct that ibuprofen and NSAID's are different. 

I hope you you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Thanks for thinking of me today.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, Frogie said:

You are correct that ibuprofen and NSAID's are different. 

Hi, Frogie.  Just to clarify so we don't confuse anyone -- NSAID stands for "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory" so that ANY medicine that reduces inflammation that is not a steroid falls into that category.  Aspirin is one kind.  Ibuprofen is another.  Naproxen is a third and tylenol is still another.  There are many, many more including prescription meds like meloxicam (mobic), etc.  Isolated use of these to control pain is not likely to interfere with your other meds but regular use can increase effects of things like blood thinning, stomach distress, etc.  It is generally best to stay away from them because they become very easy to overuse which can bring on other issues, especially for those of us with compromised systems (nervous, immune, digestive, etc.).  

In reality, how each of us will react to any modality, INCLUDING chiropractic, acupuncture, etc. is an open question because we are so individual and those modalities are designed to modify the central nervous system.  In most cases, they are not going to create issues, but there are certainly individual reports of people being activated by things like massage and chiropractic.  

All other things being equal, we would sequester ourselves in a big bubble to avoid these outside influences on our system as we try to heal.  That, of course, is not realistic (although your days in the chair with Brownie and the TV sound like you are getting close ;)).

Have a nice Thanksgiving all you in the States and a good day to the rest of you.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Moderator Emeritus
32 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Best,

Andy

Thanks apace.  I stand corrected.  Same family.......distant cousins, however.  Sort of like Citalopram and Escitalopram.    Naproxen was good for me for one dose.  After that.........well, bleech.........  I'm a pretty good one dose patient for the worst of physical pain.......thankfully........so far........and extremely grateful that I haven't had to struggle with too much in the way of physical limitations.

34 minutes ago, Frogie said:

I know I'm on Flexril, which my dr and I had a huge talk about that because they say not to take it with Lexapro, but he said it was because of seritonin syndrome. And since I'm on a low dose of Lexapro, I would be fine. Percocet, just 1/2 tablet if I need it and an anti inflammatory (can't remember the name) I think it's Robaxin, or something like that. He was so kind. He spent I bet 30-45 minutes going through all the meds with me so I would be ok. No steriod. Stretching and heat/ice. Then the pharmacist and I went over it all too.

Short term 4 days that will get me by for the chiropractor.

I should feel better by then.

You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes........     You've never considered the just cannaboid(no THC), medicinal marijuana,  some type of more natural stuff........as you are in a "legal" state and in comes in all forms.......cookies even.....?   All different strains and combinations.........probably as affordable as Dr. co-pays and such where you live, with many different practitioners.   I did see where JanCarol mentioned that way back here in your introduction/journal.  Maybe for some relief of anxious/fears/obsessions/ etc. ?  It does seem to have mixed reviews as far as helping or hindering here at SA.  Just wondered.  It's nothing like smoking weed, from my understanding........when used for chronic illness........which we all really do have........in varying degrees and symptoms. 

Yah......Best.  Gobble, gobble.

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry.......couldn't edit anymore.  For myself, I wouldn't use it now..........still reconfiguring so very much with my nervous system.  Yet, I remain open to the idea as a maybe later, just as I have more recently found I am better off staying open to possibly one pharma. A/D or other........far off in the future type of thing and hopefully not..........    Oh and of course it's illegal here.

4 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Thanks apace.  I stand corrected.  Naproxen was good for me for one dose.  After that.........well, bleech.........  I'm a pretty good one dose patient for the worst of physical pain.......thankfully........so far........and extremely grateful that I haven't had to struggle with too much in the way of physical limitations.

You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes........     You've never considered the just cannaboid(no THC), medicinal marijuana,  some type of more natural stuff........as you are in a "legal" state and in comes in all forms.......cookies even.....?   All different strains and combinations.........probably as affordable as Dr. co-pays and such where you live, with many different practitioners.   I did see where JanCarol mentioned that way back here in your introduction/journal?  Maybe for some relief of anxious/fears/obsessions/ etc.  It does seem to have mixed reviews as far as helping or hindering here at SA.  Just wondered.  It's nothing like smoking weed, from my understanding........when used for chronic illness. 

Yah......Best.  Gobble, gobble.

mmt

Unfortunately, you do what you have to do. But at least my dr is good with this stuff, for being an old country dr. He works with me so well. He doesn't want me on these meds any longer than necessary, so he gave me 4 days worth of the Flexril. And I'm cutting the percocets in half. The anti inflammatory is the thing that is making me "funky". I only take it 2 times a day.

I guess I'm lucky I found this dr. A lot of people out here don't like him because he is an old country dr, but he knows so much it isn't funny. Never been married and studies all the time. He's in his 70's and smarter and Han these young Drs here.

Enough of that.

I will be fine.

Thanks for caring.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope it all helps and the aftermath is minimal.  I was too scared to even try Flexeril once......so, you're being brave.  Good old country Dr......... probably knows what's what about the overzealous prescriptions of psycho drugs and the lengthy times people are told to stay on them.  Therein......most of our problems.

13 minutes ago, apace41 said:

Hi, Frogie.  Just to clarify so we don't confuse anyone -- NSAID stands for "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory" so that ANY medicine that reduces inflammation that is not a steroid falls into that category.  Aspirin is one kind.  Ibuprofen is another.  Naproxen is a third and tylenol is still another.  There are many, many more including prescription meds like meloxicam (mobic), etc.  Isolated use of these to control pain is not likely to interfere with your other meds but regular use can increase effects of things like blood thinning, stomach distress, etc.  It is generally best to stay away from them because they become very easy to overuse which can bring on other issues, especially for those of us with compromised systems (nervous, immune, digestive, etc.).  

In reality, how each of us will react to any modality, INCLUDING chiropractic, acupuncture, etc. is an open question because we are so individual and those modalities are designed to modify the central nervous system.  In most cases, they are not going to create issues, but there are certainly individual reports of people being activated by things like massage and chiropractic.  

All other things being equal, we would sequester ourselves in a big bubble to avoid these outside influences on our system as we try to heal.  That, of course, is not realistic (although your days in the chair with Brownie and the TV sound like you are getting close ;)).

Have a nice Thanksgiving all you in the States and a good day to the rest of you.

Best,

Andy

Wow Andy,

You explained that so well. I'm a pharmacy technician, but I haven't picked up a book in about 8 years I bet.

I'm so glad my dr is working with me and spent all the time with me. He really knows his stuff. No bed side manner, but I did get him to smile yesterday.

I really appreciate you taking time to explain all of this so everyone would understand. 

He only put me on 4 days, he said that was plenty with my WD. Very smart.

So here I sit. Took my meds sitting in my chair with Brownie. Won't be doing much. Thank goodness my fiancé is a wonderful cook. The parade, football, ice/heat and stretching, that's my Thanksgiving. And of course eating lol...

But I'm thankful I have a dr that could help, and my fiancé and Uncle.

Thanks again Andy. I really appreciate everything you do for me and everyone on this site.

Take care,

Frogie xx

2 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hope it all helps and the aftermath is minimal.  I was too scared to even try Flexeril once......so, you're being brave.  Good old country Dr......... probably knows what's what about the overzealous prescriptions of psycho drugs and the lengthy times people are told to stay on them.  Therein......most of our problems.

He is great. He's letting me taper at my own pace.

It is only 5mg Flexril, very weak, but helps. He said that the meds would act stronger because of my WD. He's smart.

I trust him, especially taking all the time with me.

Thanks for caring.

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Yup great.  And I should have referred to my own obsessions/fears/anxiety/etc. at times.  Kept it to my own experience of withdrawal.  Still learning.......gratefully.  In the real interactions.....I mean live type........I try to just remain silent and pause and really pick my words more carefully.  I'm horrible at listening for long periods........oh even sometimes short periods..........lot's of room for growth.  Thanks for the space and chat.

4 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Yup great.  And I should have referred to my own obsessions/fears/anxiety/etc. at times.  Kept it to my own experience of withdrawal.  Still learning.......gratefully.  In the real interactions.....I mean live type........I try to just remain silent and pause and really pick my words more carefully.  I'm horrible at listening for long periods........oh even sometimes short periods..........lot's of room for growth.  Thanks for the space and chat.

You are fine talking about yourself. I do that, and I'm sure I will on your thread. That's how we all learn.

I try to pick my words carefully but doesn't happen either.

I think we are a lot of alike. You have helped me a lot, and I really appreciate it.

Gobble gobble 🦃🦃🦃

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie  - thanks for wishing me well on my thread. 

I am so sorry you are still suffering with your back and really hope the meds you got today help.

So both our plans were scuppered - me to UK  and you to your fiance's mum. That's life I guess and it could be so much worse.

I hope you manage to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal pain free!

Lots of love and hugs

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

2 minutes ago, Flowers said:

Hi Frogie  - thanks for wishing me well on my thread. 

I am so sorry you are still suffering with your back and really hope the meds you got today help.

So both our plans were scuppered - me to UK  and you to your fiance's mum. That's life I guess and it could be so much worse.

I hope you manage to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal pain free!

Lots of love and hugs

Flowers xxx

Thanks Flowers:

I guess we can both be thankful we could be worse.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi frogie

how is your back, any improvement now you are taking the painkillers your doctor advised. Hope you are still taking it easy and resting it so it can heal.

did you enjoy your day yesterday with your fiancé and uncle - I hope so. Is today also a holiday or back to work.  I went to brave Black Friday today with my husband for about 3 hours it’s a bit of a damp squib here but apart from the usual high anxiety it was good I got out. Forced me into putting make up on some decent clothes and making an effort. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

1 hour ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

how is your back, any improvement now you are taking the painkillers your doctor advised. Hope you are still taking it easy and resting it so it can heal.

did you enjoy your day yesterday with your fiancé and uncle - I hope so. Is today also a holiday or back to work.  I went to brave Black Friday today with my husband for about 3 hours it’s a bit of a damp squib here but apart from the usual high anxiety it was good I got out. Forced me into putting make up on some decent clothes and making an effort. 

Hi Scorpio:

My back is better, but I don't know if it's all the meds or it's really getting better. I have been taking it very easy. Our Thanksgiving was nice. I missed my fiancés mom, but we had a nice dinner. Quiet. We watched the parade and football. I did venture out this morning to get some stocking stuffers before they ran out. I have a gift card to buy and I'm done. I'm glad you got out. I can totally understand getting dressed. I love my comfy clothes. Hope you are feeling better.

Take care,

Frogie xx

hi frogie

That’s good news its probably a bit of both rest and pain relief. Good to know you enjoyed your day even thought it wasn’t what you had planned. Never mind Christmas and hopefully seeing your granddaughter during the holiday will be something to look forward to. It’s not long now. 

Yes I finished my shopping today some online and some in the shops. Now im searching for a couple of small gift boxes and bows for the wrapping then it will be thinking about food luxuries. Oh and the writing of Christmas cards and wrapping presents. Hopefully will take my mind off the anxiety. 

Keep looking after that back to let it heal don’t overdo it. 

1 hour ago, Scorpio said:

hi frogie

That’s good news its probably a bit of both rest and pain relief. Good to know you enjoyed your day even thought it wasn’t what you had planned. Never mind Christmas and hopefully seeing your granddaughter during the holiday will be something to look forward to. It’s not long now. 

Yes I finished my shopping today some online and some in the shops. Now im searching for a couple of small gift boxes and bows for the wrapping then it will be thinking about food luxuries. Oh and the writing of Christmas cards and wrapping presents. Hopefully will take my mind off the anxiety. 

Keep looking after that back to let it heal don’t overdo it. 

Hi Scorpio:

I'm just waiting for my granddaughters boots to be delivered from Amazon then I'm done except for getting a gift card for my Uncle. He was with us today so I couldn't do that. Then I have to wrap everything, yuck... I'm glad you got yours done. I only send out a few Christmas cards so that won't take long. I hope the meds the dr gave me are healing my back. It's an anti inflammatory, muscle relaxer and a pain pill. I've only taken 2 1/2 pain pills. I only take 1/2 at a time. The anti inflammatory med works good, but kinda knocks me loopy. I wish it would just hurry up and heal. Glad you got out.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie

We are all using Amazon - I have just ordered Esme''s baby first laptop from Amazon.  I don't have a lot to buy for at Christmas.

You sound like you are coping well and no significant withdrawal symptoms.  Good for u

Joy 

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem