Frogie: how to taper off Lexapro and Xanax?

Frogie

2 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

have you got your hands on your materials now, is that awful drive over for your fiancé. I hope so and you can breathe a sigh of relief that you have it all to hand ready to be put in when ready. 

How is brownie is is she eating better today. Are your tears easing now you can see things are happening. Has the nausea eased. It’s horrible, I’ve had it all week as well as the horrible anxiety. Oh for a window instead of a few good hours sometimes. 

I had  to rescue my grandson from nursery at 1 as he was poorly. Full of another cold, not eating or napping and getting more and more upset. He clung to me like a vine all afternoon so the food shop I had managed to do unwillingly with my husband this morning stayed scattered around the kitchen until his mum turned up at 5. Poor little boy and I have him all day tomorrow so hope my anxiety lets me get up in time to get sorted before he arrives. 

Scorpio:

Well, when I made the order the store said they had everything in stock. My fiancé called just now. They didn't have everything. No toilet, the vanity was broken, and the floor moulding, they didn't have all of it. There were a few other little things.

He's on his way to another store not too far from where he is that is supposed to have everything.

It's not here, but he's working on it.

When it rains it pours...

I'm so sorry about your grandson. And your anxiety.

I hope you feel better soon.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi Frogie

Isn't life truly frustrating, nothing is ever as efficient as it should be.  It is cold, freezing and snowy here.  Our drop in carers are at risk of slipping outside here so we have just cleared the ice and snow away.  They are a great team of girls/women but if one of them went off sick with a broken bone it would be a disaster.  Somehow it is good to see the snow, but it must be much colder because last night I slept in my dressing gown which I meant to take off but fell asleep with it on.  I am normally more hot than cold, so I must be stabilising with my body temperature.

I am well today, have just arranged 2 property viewings for next Wednesday.  I haven't viewed a house for 31 years so feel I don't really understand the market.  I have had a frank discussion of my work plans with my husband and son and basically I need to work a bit longer yet for financial reasons once we leave the farm.  This makes it even more important that I don't fall into really bad withdrawal - it is how I thought it would be.  Luckily I enjoy my work a lot otherwise that would be depressing.  We are just trying to do this without selling any land.

How are you doing withdrawal wise Frogie?  OK?

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

1 hour ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie

Isn't life truly frustrating, nothing is ever as efficient as it should be.  It is cold, freezing and snowy here.  Our drop in carers are at risk of slipping outside here so we have just cleared the ice and snow away.  They are a great team of girls/women but if one of them went off sick with a broken bone it would be a disaster.  Somehow it is good to see the snow, but it must be much colder because last night I slept in my dressing gown which I meant to take off but fell asleep with it on.  I am normally more hot than cold, so I must be stabilising with my body temperature.

I am well today, have just arranged 2 property viewings for next Wednesday.  I haven't viewed a house for 31 years so feel I don't really understand the market.  I have had a frank discussion of my work plans with my husband and son and basically I need to work a bit longer yet for financial reasons once we leave the farm.  This makes it even more important that I don't fall into really bad withdrawal - it is how I thought it would be.  Luckily I enjoy my work a lot otherwise that would be depressing.  We are just trying to do this without selling any land.

How are you doing withdrawal wise Frogie?  OK?

Joy

Hi Joy:

It is frustrating when the store said they had everything, my fiancé got up there and had to chase around for it. But he got most everything. There are a few little things we need but he can get them at our hardware store out here.

I'm so tired of our weather. Usually we have had snow 3-4 times by now, we haven't had 1 flake. It's been like spring here and one day it was in the 80's! I want snow. I miss it. I'm glad you got yours cleared off. It wouldn't be good for anyone to fall, let alone get hurt. It must be cold if you are a warm blooded person and you slept with your gown on. I sleep in pajamas with a sheet, blanket and comforter and am still cold. It is getting below freezing at night here.

My withdrawl is fine. I have had some anxiety, but I contribute that to the remodeling that isn't happening. It will this weekend though, so I will feel better then. I'm glad you are doing well.

Good luck on the house hunting! You must be a little excited about it. I wish I was out looking at houses, but it will come soon enough.

Have a great day!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Frogie has been nice and offered up her intro page to me since people do not seem to respond to my intro page.

I am now 27 months off Prozac.  In august I started having itching on my hands and feet.  Then in September it spread and I became itchy everywhere on my body.  Every time I would scratch I would develop hives and welts.  I went to my GP and she said take an antihistamine and don't scratch (easier said then done).  I tried taking Zyrtec at night but the next day I was so fatigued.  It was not the best option for me.  A couple of weeks ago I went to an allergist and had a bunch of testing done.  I am not allergic to anything that he tested me for.  He put me on a different antihistamine and pepcid.  He said the pepcid helps block to histamines that are over producing in my body.  Well that combination of medicine caused heartburn, brain fog and increased anxiety.  I went back to the allergist this past Monday and he took me off all the medicines he put me on.  After two days of not being on the medicine my itching and hives are back full force.

My question is has anyone experienced itching and hives during withdrawal and is this a withdrawal symptom even though I have been off Prozac for 27 months.

Thank you again Frogie for letting me post on your page.  Thank you to anyone who responds and can offer me help and guidance.  

O2bhappy

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Hi O2bhappy

I have had burning and itching (severe) on my lower arms when I got down to a lower dose of citalopram, which was horrible and I took antihistamines for it.  It was very noticeable that my arms were really red and I was scratching.  It went away when I went up in dose, it was an intense artificial sort of feeling.  Even though you have been off your AD for a long time, it is probably related, lets hope it clears up with time.

Joy

• Moderator Emeritus

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

1 hour ago, O2bhappy said:

Frogie has been nice and offered up her intro page to me since people do not seem to respond to my intro page.

I am now 27 months off Prozac.  In august I started having itching on my hands and feet.  Then in September it spread and I became itchy everywhere on my body.  Every time I would scratch I would develop hives and welts.  I went to my GP and she said take an antihistamine and don't scratch (easier said then done).  I tried taking Zyrtec at night but the next day I was so fatigued.  It was not the best option for me.  A couple of weeks ago I went to an allergist and had a bunch of testing done.  I am not allergic to anything that he tested me for.  He put me on a different antihistamine and pepcid.  He said the pepcid helps block to histamines that are over producing in my body.  Well that combination of medicine caused heartburn, brain fog and increased anxiety.  I went back to the allergist this past Monday and he took me off all the medicines he put me on.  After two days of not being on the medicine my itching and hives are back full force.

My question is has anyone experienced itching and hives during withdrawal and is this a withdrawal symptom even though I have been off Prozac for 27 months.

Thank you again Frogie for letting me post on your page.  Thank you to anyone who responds and can offer me help and guidance.  

O2bhappy

Hi O2bhappy:

I'm glad to share my thread with you. I know I get a lot of friends posting on here and hopefully you can find some answers to your hive problem.

Good luck, and have fun at the craft fair!

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi o2bhappy

I haven't had this as a symptom of WD. I do get itchy irritated skin sometimes for no apparent reason. The one thing that calms the skin is aloe vera gel. It is very cooling, soothing and natural.

Have you tried this or anything topical rather than taking meds orally?

I really feel for you - it must be unbearable for you.

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi frogie

so hopefully you now have all the goods safely at home and just waiting for your fiancé to get the small matter of all the work done!  Is brownie eating better today. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

3 hours ago, Scorpio said:

Hi frogie

so hopefully you now have all the goods safely at home and just waiting for your fiancé to get the small matter of all the work done!  Is brownie eating better today. 

We don't have everything, but it's just little stuff we can get at the hardware store here. He's starting at 7am tomorrow.

Brownie is eating better today thanks for asking.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie -

Thank you so much for checking on me on my thread, it means alot.  

How are you doing?  Is your anxiety improving?  I hope so.  Is Brownie feeling better?  

B

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
3 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Hi Frogie -

Thank you so much for checking on me on my thread, it means alot.  

How are you doing?  Is your anxiety improving?  I hope so.  Is Brownie feeling better?  

B

Hi

I just hadn't heard from you for a while.

I have some anxiety right now but it's because my fiancé is remodeling the bathroom and the house is in shambles. And now my granddaughter wants to come for a visit. 

She will wait until he's done. Hopefully a couple of weeks.

Hope your doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie

Granddaughter visiting - let that thought sustain you through your anxiety.

Frogie - another question about withdrawal from Joy - did you get heat sensitivity, that is always feeling hot or cold and sweating and freezing and did you get a sweaty hot face as if it is a menopausal flush but isn't, if you see what I mean.  Again you don't have to answer if you feel it is too personal.

Hoping you have a good day

Joy

4 hours ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie

Granddaughter visiting - let that thought sustain you through your anxiety.

Frogie - another question about withdrawal from Joy - did you get heat sensitivity, that is always feeling hot or cold and sweating and freezing and did you get a sweaty hot face as if it is a menopausal flush but isn't, if you see what I mean.  Again you don't have to answer if you feel it is too personal.

Hoping you have a good day

Joy

Hi Joy:

That's a good idea with my granddaughter. I just want to see her so bad.

I'm going through that heat/cold thing right now. Especially in the mornings. I will wake up freezing, put all the covers up to my neck and 10 minutes later sweat is pouring off me. We don't have snow yet(unfortunately), but I have a blanket that is electric made just for the couch. I've been using that. So I think it's normal.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

HELP!!!! MOD PLEASE!!!

Anyone that can help me I would be more than greatful.

When I picked up my Liquid Escitalalopram In November, I asked the pharmacy to throw in a couple dosage syringes.

Got home, didn't pay any attention to the new syringe the next morning. I am not a morning person at all. I thought it was odd, it was a little skinnier than the other syringe I usually use. I thought maybe they were using a new brand syringe. I drew it up to the mark I always use, put it in a medicine cup, added apple juice and drank it down. 

Remember the 1st few days of my taper I had a lot of akasthisia? Well, it was a 5ml syringe, not a 10ml syringe. So I cut my escitalopram to 2.5 instead of 4.9. I have some anxiety but I have attributed it to the remodeling going on and not getting to see my granddaughter, and of course wanting to go home. After I take my 2nd Xanax for the day, I'm fine.

When I hurt my back, I told the dr what I did. He said to just hold since it was almost a month since I made that stupid cut. He said since I was doing ok except for the anxiety, I should be fine.

I just didn't want to say anything on here because I didn't want to be told "how stupid I was" by not checking and rechecking my figures.

I'm going to hold at 2.5 until January now. That will give me 2 months at the 2.5 and should be ok. I've had very little nausea, if any. I had some when we went to a holiday party and I ate food I'm not used too. 

At this point, it's been almost a month, I'm not going up. I'll stick it out. I guess my body thinks it's ok otherwise I would have the terrible nausea and other problems that I always get.

Just need some reassurance.

Thanks for any mods input!

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Frogs,

So we know your liquid concentration is 10mg. per 10ml. now..........or a 1/1 concentration?

And you had inadvertently dropped to 2.5mg. then, instead of the 4.9mg. that you thought you had dropped to?  2.5 mg. being 2.5 ml. on your new syringe.

If you want to stay on that dose, the 2.5mg., which you have been on since November 9th.........well.......okay then.  Mistakes happen.  That sure explains a lot though, eh?.........I mean as far as your increased symptoms and all.  And just know that you could now updose..........even a mini, teeny, tiny bit..........if symptoms become unbearable at some point.  And I mean a mini, teeny updose........even like....... decimal point(.1mg) or less even.  I don't have much anecdotal experience in updosing........yet........so bear with me.

Update your signature as well to reflect this all......when you can.  And I'm sure another moderator may pipe in soon as well.

Hang in there with the major home renovations and looks like maybe snow is on it's way soon here at least! 

Best,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
clarity

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/14/2017 at 9:21 AM, Frogie said:

Hi Andy:

I just talked to the pharmacist. She said it's 1:1. She asked me if I was tapering, I told her yes. She said she hoped I was doing 10% a month, I told her yes, and she said that was perfect.

Someone that believes in the 10% a month. She is new so I think she will be very helpful.

Thanks for your help.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Here's that post from November 14th that clarifies the concentration too.  I hope that helps.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

4 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Frogs,

So we know your liquid concentration is 10mg. per 10ml. now..........or a 1/1 concentration?

And you had inadvertently dropped to 2.5mg. then instead of the 4.9mg. that you thought you had dropped to?

If you want to stay on that dose, the 2.5mg., which you have been on since November 9th.........well.......okay then.  Mistakes happen.  That sure explains a lot though, eh?.........I mean as far as your increased symptoms and all.  And just know that you could now updose..........even a mini, teeny, tiny bit..........if symptoms become unbearable at some point.  And I mean a mini, teeny updose........even like....... decimal point(.1mg) or less even.  I don't have much anecdotal experience in updosing........yet........so bear with me.

Update your signature as well to reflect this all......when you can.  And I'm sure another moderator may pipe in soon as well.

Hang in there with the major home renovations and looks like maybe snow is on it's way soon here at least! 

Best,

mmt

Yuppers,

I now know why the anxiety (among other things), this is a horrible time of year for me anyways. Then we add you know me wanting to go home, the remodeling, and my granddaughter wanting to come visit.

I really don't want to updose at all, and I don't think I need too. I'm holding my own ok. Like I said after I take my 2nd Xanax for the day, I'm fine. It's been almost a month, so I should be good.

I'm actually feeling better today than I have. My fiance and I had a great talk about everything last night, and I now know what is going on.

I'm going to be fine. I updated my signature. Let me know if it's ok or I need to change it.

Thanks for being so caring mmt, it means a lot.

Take care,

Frogie xx

2 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Here's that post from November 14th that clarifies the concentration too.  I hope that helps.

Thanks! i just wrote you back...

Take care,

Frogie xx

• Moderator Emeritus

Frogie,

I'm glad you're making it okay.

You might want to consider holding a bit longer than two months, just to let things settle down and catch up.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might leave out all the situational stuff in your signature........that's up to you.  It does make it hard to follow.  I'm overly wordy/emo sometimes too.  Otherwise it looks just fine. 

And whoosh.......you did an almost 50% decrease.  I'm amazed at how well you are coping.......with a lot of help of course.

Hold, hold, hold now in any case.........you might consider even waiting until Febr. or March before any further changes.  The turtle always wins the race.

mmt

4 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Frogie,

I'm glad you're making it okay.

You might want to consider holding a bit longer than two months, just to let things settle down and catch up.

Thanks Gridley:

I will see how I feel come January, but believe it or not, with everything going on in my life I'm doing ok. 

I have a few tears now and then, but I had that at the higher dose too. It's just called WD.

I really appreciate you caring, and MMT and you helping me.

Take care,

Frogie xx

4 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

You might leave out all the situational stuff in your signature........that's up to you.  It does make it hard to follow.  I'm overly wordy/emo sometimes too.  Otherwise it looks just fine. 

And whoosh.......you did an almost 50% decrease.  I'm amazed at how well you are coping.......with a lot of help of course.

Hold, hold, hold now in any case.........you might consider even waiting until Febr. or March before any further changes.  The turtle always wins the race.

mmt

Ok, I can take the stuff out. Just thought it might help people realize not to make the mistake I made.

I'm doing ok. With everything going on. I have a few tears now and then. But that is my situation and WD.

But boy did I mess up lol...

Thanks,

Frogie xx

31 minutes ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi Frogs,

And you had inadvertently dropped to 2.5mg. then, instead of the 4.9mg. that you thought you had dropped to?  2.5 mg. being 2.5 ml. on your new syringe.

Best,

mmt

They had 80% snow for Monday... Now it's going to be in the 40's and windy. No snow. I want snow. I'm tired of spring weather now in December it's not funny...

Oh Frogie - no wonder you felt bad but how great that you are not suffering too much now and are going to stick with it. You are amazing. 

I wish you all the best and hope you continue to feel stable on the lower dose.

Love from Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

6 minutes ago, Flowers said:

Oh Frogie - no wonder you felt bad but how great that you are not suffering too much now and are going to stick with it. You are amazing. 

I wish you all the best and hope you continue to feel stable on the lower dose.

Love from Flowers xxx

I have a lot of other stuff going on too. But I have only had a slight bit of nausea. Especially one night at the holiday party when I ate food I'm not used too.

Im going to stick it out. It's been a month now, so I'm not going to look back at my "stupidity ". I'm just going to move on.

Hope you are doing well.

Thanks for stopping by. It means a lot.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi Frogie-- I answered your question over on my thread but thought you'd like to have the answer here too, for your records:

Hi Frogie--  It's good that you've sorted out what is going on, it will add a lot of perspective to the situation.  A 50% drop is rarely a good thing in the short term, but they do settle out.  It does take a lot of time though.  Seeing how things are going at the end of January is a start, but it might take a good deal longer for things to settle down.  There frequently is about a three month lag after a big drop or CT before the worst of the symptoms hit.  By that time an updose starts to become tricky, unpredictable and would take several more months to stabilize.  You said you don't want to updose, but in the long run you will probably be glad you did.  This big cut can end up being no fun at all for a long time but it will be survivable, just keep in mind that the longer you wait the less chance there is of a successful updose.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Hi Frogie

You survive your cuts really well.  Isn't it amazing you have been fine so far?  Well done you, although now you know it is perhaps not such a good thing really, do you think you will updose a little or stick it out now you have got so far?

Perhaps it would be wiser to updose a little and not look at it as an updose, but look at it as a correction for a practical dosing error.  This is one of the reasons I wish these drugs came in different strengths including really small strengths such as 0.25 mg which are scored and preferably quartered as well.  I guess it costs the manufacturer a lot of money to produce lots of different strengths.

How are you feeling tonight Frogie?

Joy

3 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Hi Frogie-- I answered your question over on my thread but thought you'd like to have the answer here too, for your records:

Hi Frogie--  It's good that you've sorted out what is going on, it will add a lot of perspective to the situation.  A 50% drop is rarely a good thing in the short term, but they do settle out.  It does take a lot of time though.  Seeing how things are going at the end of January is a start, but it might take a good deal longer for things to settle down.  There frequently is about a three month lag after a big drop or CT before the worst of the symptoms hit.  By that time an updose starts to become tricky, unpredictable and would take several more months to stabilize.  You said you don't want to updose, but in the long run you will probably be glad you did.  This big cut can end up being no fun at all for a long time but it will be survivable, just keep in mind that the longer you wait the less chance there is of a successful updose.

Tom:

I've gone just about a month with doing this. Usually when I taper, I feel it the 2nd day. I felt a little anxiety, but like I said I attributed it to other things in my life.

I'm actually feeling good, so maybe my body doesn't like Lexapro because I was always nauseous when on a higher dose and when I tapered.

I don't want to go back up. I want to see how it goes and go from there. 

I know I shouldn't believe all Drs points of view, but mine has been really good about letting me taper as I wanted, he said I should be ok since it's been a month. He is an old country dr and been a dr for 30 years, so I'm sure he's seen it all.

I hope it works out for me and my "stupidity ".

Have other people done ok on a taper of this size?

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

5 minutes ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie

You survive your cuts really well.  Isn't it amazing you have been fine so far?  Well done you, although now you know it is perhaps not such a good thing really, do you think you will updose a little or stick it out now you have got so far?

Perhaps it would be wiser to updose a little and not look at it as an updose, but look at it as a correction for a practical dosing error.  This is one of the reasons I wish these drugs came in different strengths including really small strengths such as 0.25 mg which are scored and preferably quartered as well.  I guess it costs the manufacturer a lot of money to produce lots of different strengths.

How are you feeling tonight Frogie?

Joy

Hi Joy:

I feel really well. I didn't even realize I did this like I said. I'm always nauseous after I taper, and I wasn't. I had the anxiety, but attributed that to everything going on.

My fiancé and I talked. I'm not going to updose. I'm going to ride it out. It's been a month. I should be just fine. I'll just hold until January.

Even my dr said I should be ok. That I would sicker than a dog by now the way my tapers go.

I do know I will watch every taper from now on.

Thanks for stopping by.

Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

On 12/1/2017 at 9:24 AM, O2bhappy said:

O2bhappy

Hi O2bhappy.  I'm not having itching symptoms now but in the past I had them from a too acidic and too much protein diet with a lot of coffee thrown in.  It improved when I cut down on coffee and added more fruit and vegetables to my diet.  I hope you find relief.

Alcohol periodic excessive 1963-1976, Valium sporadic 1964-1973,  Imipramine off & on 1982-1985, Fluoxetine 10mg-80 mg. Oct., 1995-Jan., 2014; Cymbalta, other ADs 1/2014-3/2014; Abilify 5 mg. 3/2014 - 8/8/17; Trintellix 20 mg. 3/2014 - 9/2017; Propranolol 60-80 mg. sporadically Sept-Oct, 2017; Seroquel few days Sept 2017 (c/t); Wellbutrin 150 mg. Sept, 2017 updosed to 300 mg. few days till c/t Oct 8, 2017, fish oil, vitD, vitE Oct 16, 2017-pres. Lipoflavonoid 4/2017-pres.  Fluoxetine 10 mg. Sept-Oct 8, 2017, 20 mg. 10/9- 10/15; 10 mg. 10/16 - 12/29;  9 mg. 12/30 - 2/9; 2 mL liquid (8.1mg) 2/10 - 3/7; 1.8 mL (7.29 mg) 3/8 -3/20; 1.6 mL (6.561mg) 3/20-4/2; 1.4 mL (5.9 mg) 4/3-4/14; 1mL (4 mg.) 4/15-4/22; .9mL (3.6mg) 4/23-5/1; .81mL (3.24 mg) 5/2-5/24; .73mL (2.916mg.) 5/25-6/8; .65mL 6/9-6/23; .6mL 6/24-7/17; .58mL 7/18-7/28; .525mL 7/29-8/13; .5 mL 8/14-21; .45mL 8/22-31; .4mL 9/2-21; .35mL 9/22-10/4; .3mL 10/5-28; .25mL 10/28-11/10; .2mL 11/11-11/24; .18mL 11/25-12/3; .1mL 12/4-12/18. Zero-12/19/18-present.

Hi Frogie

That is great, you have thought it through and come to a decision.  You feel really well - no one can argue with that, and you don't feel sick or nauseous - how wonderful is that!  You must be over the worst. 

I am in a really good position in general, but I just don't find withdrawal easy at all.  I feel every little drop and feel it really roughly.  If I had known a few years ago what I now know I would have been things so differently.  However, I am pleased I take less and am on my way down, only very very slowly.

I am so pleased for you.  Let us all know how it pans out for you.  If you suddenly do feel a roughening of symptoms you will have a clue as to why.  Have you been sleeping OK and have you been feeling hot and cold?

Joy

1 minute ago, joy2730 said:

Hi Frogie

That is great, you have thought it through and come to a decision.  You feel really well - no one can argue with that, and you don't feel sick or nauseous - how wonderful is that!  You must be over the worst. 

I am in a really good position in general, but I just don't find withdrawal easy at all.  I feel every little drop and feel it really roughly.  If I had known a few years ago what I now know I would have been things so differently.  However, I am pleased I take less and am on my way down, only very very slowly.

I am so pleased for you.  Let us all know how it pans out for you.  If you suddenly do feel a roughening of symptoms you will have a clue as to why.  Have you been sleeping OK and have you been feeling hot and cold?

Joy

Joy:

As you know I'm usually very nauseous when I taper. I haven't been. I had the anxiety, but blamed it on the remodeling, not seeing my granddaughter, was on 4 antibiotics, and then hurt my back and was on 3 meds for that. And I have had a lot of anxiety this time of year for 25 years, before I even went on antidepressants.

You are doing really well. I made a big mistake but I'm going to ride it out. I'm feeling really good. No nausea, so maybe my body doesn't like Lexapro lol... I had a little nausea at the holiday party, but that was because of food I haven't eaten.

It's been a month, so I'm not going to updose. I'll just hold until January and be much much more careful.

I do get hot and cold. Especially at night. My fiancé is still running a portable a/c in the bedroom at night. So I get cold, pull the covers up to my neck, and in 10 minutes sweat is pouring off of me. And like I said, we haven't had snow yet, usually we have had 2-3 snow storms by now :( but I have an electric blanket made for the couch. I've been using that. Then I get hot and have to kick it off. So yes I do get hot and cold. I want snow, I'm tired of spring and summer weather in December.

Hope you are doing well. I'll be fine. I'm actually glad in a way that this happened. Even though it was my own "stupidity ".

Take care,

Frogie xx

On 12/1/2017 at 8:24 AM, O2bhappy said:

O2bhappy

i had itching and did all the things you have done, over time my itching went away. none of the allergy remedies worked for me..do you know of any thing to take to help with withdrawal.

JOINED THIS BOARD AUGUST 27, 2017

250mg trazodone

250mg   Aug 21, 2017  tapering before I found SA

200mg -  Aug 21, 2017 to Aug 25, 2017 tapering before found SA

225mg -  Aug 26, 2017  updose holding

November 26, 2017. I reinstated my original dose of 250mg  trazodone..planning on holding for a very long time. No more withdrawal

June 14, 2020  at 10% 507  My first start of my trazodone 250mg  taper

6/16/20  90 mgai    7/26/20   81 mgai    9/6/20  72 mg ai 10/17/20- updose to 77 mgai  11/11/20- updose to 81 mgai  

• Mentor

Hi Frogie,

Sorry to read about your accidental larger than wanted taper.  How frightening for you. Frogie, a lot of us here on this site have made mistakes with dosing.  I have for sure.  I would be shocked and disappointed if anyone criticized you for it. Don't spend even one second being hard on yourself. It happened and now you go forward. So far things seem OK for you and I hope that they continue to be OK.  We are here for you in both the good times and the bad times.

xo
RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

Just now, RachelSusan said:

Hi Frogie,

Sorry to read about your accidental larger than wanted taper.  How frightening for you. Frogie, a lot of us here on this site have made mistakes with dosing.  I have for sure.  I would be shocked and disappointed if anyone criticized you for it. Don't spend even one second being hard on yourself. It happened and now you go forward. So far things seem OK for you and I hope that they continue to be OK.  We are here for you in both the good times and the bad times.

xo
RS

Thanks RS:

I just can't believe I did that. That's what I get for "trusting" other people. I'm checking and rechecking from now on. Have you made a mistake like this? I'm really doing ok. I'm not nauseous like usual, I have some anxiety but not bad. But I have a lot going on here too. One of our bathrooms is being remodeled, and a wall came down and part of the floor in my granddaughters room. Now of course she wants to come visit and can't until that gets done. Then you know this summer wasn't peachy for me. The sewer, my teeth and Brownie being sick. Brownie is eating better but I have to realize she's 16 also. So I get anxious about her, the remodeling, the holidays (which I don't like to begin with), and of course wanting to go home. I really appreciate you being here for me. Hope you are doing well.

Take care,

Frogie xx