Drops to dilate eyes by eye doctor

Martina23

Does anyone have experiences with eye drops by the eye doctor, can they set me back? I have to go on Monday to the eye doctor, and I dont know if I should tell him not to give me any eye drops for dilating the eyes. Are they dangerous? Can they check the eye pressure also without drops? What they are good for?

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

It's better to stay away from anything, including eye drops in my opinion. If there isn't a real need to dialate your eyes then you shouldn't do it. I think eye doctors do it in the majority of cases so they can make money off the insurance companies for using the drops. If you aren't at risk or presenting symptoms for the condition that is revealed by dialating your eyes then it's probably best to skip them.

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

On no medications as of Feb. 8, 2016

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

• Moderator Emeritus

My optometrist uses some new machine that allows them to see or test whatever it is they examine when drops are used. It costs me more than the drops, but it has been worth it to get in and out of appointments more quickly and not to have to wear dark, dark, sunglasses afterward to protect myself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

My optometrist uses some new machine that allows them to see or test whatever it is they examine when drops are used. It costs me more than the drops, but it has been worth it to get in and out of appointments more quickly and not to have to wear dark, dark, sunglasses afterward to protect myself.

It's about time they invented something like that. That's awesome!

• 1992-Feb. 2016- Took almost every antidepressant on the market. Cold turkeyed most of the medications I took.

Stopped taking Paxil February 8 2016. I tapered the dose from 50 mg to 0 over the course of about 10 weeks

As of 10/23/16-Still unable to sleep more than 4 to 5 hours a night, sometimes less

• Moderator Emeritus

Not all optometrists invest in the machines. If you want that, you may have to search for a practice that has modernized.  It will likely be a practice that has several optometrists rather than a one-doc shop.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Not all optometrists invest in the machines. If you want that, you may have to search for a practice that has modernized.  It will likely be a practice that has several optometrists rather than a one-doc shop.

Interesting, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

Ok, I really read now that there are such non-contact procedures, where you dont need drops and the machine just pushes you some air in the eyes and they can measure the eye pressure with that. They write that most doctors dont buy it as they can not invoice so much to the patients like when they do it manually with the drops when they can invoice 18-40 EUR per patient. Again money!

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

I find this thread interesting as one who recently had an eye exam and had difficulty for about two hours afterwards due to the eye drops.   Good thing I took public transportation as I wouldn't have been able to safely drive and was not warned about this ahead of time.

Still liked the eye doctor alot but will definitely see if there is another option besides using eye drops to examine the eyes at the next appointment.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's something I found that lists what is usually in the eye drops: Wise Geek - What Are Eye Dilating Drops

The machine that my optometrist uses is a retinal scanner. I guess that's what you can ask for if you're looking to avoid the pupillary dilation for the examination for glaucoma, retinal neuropathy, macular degeneration, etc.

An article on Cleveland[dot]com on Dilation free retinal exams

scallywag's Introduction

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd post here, I've had to have my eyes dilated several times with the drops since having bad problems from psych drugs, and both times it didn't seem to cause any issues. 

However I agree if you can avoid them and use a less invasive method, do it. (Oh and I had a ride both times, so there was no issue with driving, definitely get a ride or take transit if you have to get them.)

I am not a medical professional and nothing I say is a medical opinion or meant to be medical advice, please seek a competent and trusted medical professional to consult for all medical decisions.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Drops to dilate eyes by eye doctor

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy