Agoraphobia

Denstar51

Hi thanks for welcoming me to the site

What seems to cause the agoraphobia?

I had it lightly until the last week in June than it got so bad I couldn't leave the apt for 8 months. Now I can but only a block and then get panicky. Seems to be tied in directly to the brain fog. Any one else had this really annoying problem?

Thanks

I had it on and off throughout, but the worse time for me was for about a month about two years out. What helped me with it was my family would not let me stay in. That was in the summer time and my husband helped me start a vegetable garden and we would go to garden centers to buy what we needed. We are basketball fans and at other times my husband would insist we go to games. What made me persevere were my two children. My son was into basketball and despite how bad I felt I was determined to get though it all for them. I know it sounds like too much overstimulation, but rather than over stimulated at the games I felt more of the derealization. Early in w/d we would go to movies too as long as they were low key...I went to one of the Pirates of the Caribbean once and had the fight or flight the whole time.

Anyway, my long winded answer is to make yourself go out...the "symptoms" are not going to hurt you. It all seemed to resolve on its own for me, but I was proactive in trying to get out. Keep walking the block and on days you feel like you can go a little further. The walking is helpful too.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

this is something I struggle with too, I can go out with someone but not far alone. Even when I am out with someone I have dp/dr, dizziness and feeling spaced out it just helps a little to have company.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

Suffered severe and protracted withdrawl ever since.

No other medication taken.

I had it lightly until the last week in June than it got so bad I couldn't leave the apt for 8 months. Now I can but only a block and then get panicky. Seems to be tied in directly to the brain fog.

Hey, Denstar. This is a typical wave - after the progress, there comes this worsening again. And, indeed, agoraphobia very often goes hand in hand with DP/DR. And then going panicky is very often the case. DP/DR is a very unnutural experience for a human mind. It will be getting better, though!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

this is something I struggle with too, I can go out with someone but not far alone. Even when I am out with someone I have dp/dr, dizziness and feeling spaced out it just helps a little to have company.

hi Squirrel,

you are 5/6 years off, had you before meds some agoraphobia or anxiety regularly ?

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

yeah that why I was put on it.To be honest it was quite mild compared to what I have experienced during withdrawl.

Started Seroxat(Paxil) for panic attacks in 1997 stopped the drug in 2005 tapered over 3 months ( doctors advice)

yeah that why I was put on it.To be honest it was quite mild compared to what I have experienced during withdrawl.

hi Squirrel,

sorry , another question :

if you compare you state of agoraphobia/anxiety before meds to your agoraphobia/anxiety after 6 years off

is it worse

very worse

the same

thanks , i know it is difficult to answer, but would be happy to know

and sorry for your suffering

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

in protracted withdrawal

hi stan , Its much worse because I also have balance problems , feel spaced out and disconnected.The stuff I had before was nothing compared to this.

thank you very much for your honesty and answer

i think meds have detroyed nerves receptors and brain has not be able to repair balance , spacing ...yet

as he repairs constantly, i hope he will arrive to improve this

i too will have balance problems because today i have difficult to stand

what a crap

cheer up !

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

I can write exactly the same because even if my agoraphobia has gone away (Now I want to go outside) I still am unable to go out alone. I always need somebody with me .

Hi thanks for welcoming me to the site

What seems to cause the agoraphobia?

I had it lightly until the last week in June than it got so bad I couldn't leave the apt for 8 months. Now I can but only a block and then get panicky. Seems to be tied in directly to the brain fog. Any one else had this really annoying problem?

Thanks

Hi Dennis,

I know how you have suffered from your agoraphobia several months ago but now you made progress which have to encourage you. Step by step (Often very little steps) we are walking towards the success!

• 1 month later...

Me too guys,

Never in my life before did i have anxiety, dp/dr or agoraphobia,

I seem to have bouts of it, i think it goes hand in hand with the symptoms i have been experiencing.

I too, am able to go out with a friend or someone else, just going it alone

is difficult right now.

But.... i wont give up, i will keep pushing and pushing until it goes away

and i am once again, the confident person i always used to be prior to tapering paxil.

I wish the same healing to you all, and a speedy recovery !!!!!

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

• Administrator

I am wondering if maybe the light has something to do with it.

For a while, bright lights heightened my anxiety, whether sunlight or artificial lights in a store.

I know some people report that bright sun makes them feel ill.

After reading about blue light (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/304-blocking-out-blue-light-to-help-sleep/), I am wondering if light sensitivity may be at the root of many neuro-anxiety issues.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am wondering if maybe the light has something to do with it.

After reading about blue light (see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/304-blocking-out-blue-light-to-help-sleep/), I am wondering if light sensitivity may be at the root of many neuro-anxiety issues.

I am thinking the same thing and do have a couple of situations that stand out regarding light issues...I'm going to look into the glasses. I'm on my way out the door now, but will post later.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

• 4 months later...

anyone suffered agoraphobia and panic prior to meds?

hi Squirrel,

i had since childhood very mild agoraphobia and very mild anxiety panic; and lived very well until paxil at 45 years old; since it has become unbearable

for anxiety 

in protracted withdrawal

Same has happened to me I suffered with it since I was 19 but was always manageable never ever been as bad as it is now. I realise that W/D will ramp up our symptoms but worry about what I will be left with when its over.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I feel as if I have coexisting claustraphobia and agoraphobia. I have actually run out of house, hotel room w heart racing in panic. But there are few places I feel comfortable. In my car is the one safe place. A friend thinks it's b/c I feel somewhat in control when driving. Good music and sunshine helps.

Never had this before altho I always liked to 'cruise'.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I feel as if I have coexisting claustraphobia and agoraphobia.

Very possible!

When I was in severe benzo withdrawal, I actually could not walk out the front door of my building for a while. I also felt like the walls were physically pressing in on me inside my apartment. And incredible as it sounds, I could barely keep the shower door closed when I was showering. Often had to step out of the shower dripping wet, then force myself to go back in in a little while to finish my shower.

I NEVER had this before that withdrawal (off a fairly large dose of benzos for many years), and never have since (and this was decades ago), though some lesser degrees of both conditions in SSRI withdrawal many years later. (Significantly, I was put on the SSRI to relieve the severe benzo withdrawal symptoms.)

It's been so long I can't remember when or which doctor told me that it's actually not really uncommon to have both agoraphobia and claustrophobia concurrently. They're not at all as contradictory as they would seem.

I was "TryingToGetWell" (aka TTGW) on paxilprogress. I also was one of the original members here on Surviving Antidepressants

I had horrific and protracted withdrawal from paxil, but now am back to enjoying life with enthusiasm to the max, some residual physical symptoms continued but largely improve. The horror, severe derealization, anhedonia, akathisia, and so much more, are long over.

My signature is a temporary scribble from year 2013. I'll rewrite it when I can.

If you want to read it, click on http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/209-brandy-anyone/?p=110343

• 4 months later...

I am suffering from EXTREME fear of going outside alone. I nearly had a nervous breakdown going to the doctor today...and the place is literally 10 minutes away. I can't seem to calm down at all. Is this permanent? I'm reading info about it & it says to treat agoraphobia is with medication & therapy. I'm already doing therapy weekly but I can't keep depending on others to keep driving me there. Obviously I do not want to go back on Zoloft. Anyone else going through this? Is this just another stage of withdrawal? Will this get better?

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

Dani,

Yes, it is common and it will calm down. I went thru a time when i felt alternating agoraphobia and claustraphobia -- that sure kept me moving trying to stay comfortable.

Take it in small steps. Just outside your home for a few minutes, a little walk, a drive around the block when you don't have to be anywhere. Once you get out once your confidence will spring back and you'll be fine.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

You're not the only one going through this. I was going through it when I was on my full dosage of medication & I'm going through it while I taper off. My family is damn near doing everything for me & the thought of driving to appointments or anywhere for that matter is terrifying.

Sometimes I wonder if the medication CAUSED the agoraphobia. :angry:

It's very frustrating because I'm 24 years old & should not have to ask people for help. That causes depression in itself.

Diagnosed With

Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder & Agoraphobia.

Also NLD (Non Verbal Learning Disorder)

Meds I've Taken Since The Age of 13:

Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Cymbalta, Vyvanse, Concerta, Intuniv, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, Abilify, Lithium. These meds were never consistent & I was constantly switching on & off due to psychiatrists treating what I now know were side effects.

Currently Taking:

Prozac 7.5 mg (Weaning off)

Valium 2 mg

You're not the only one going through this. I was going through it when I was on my full dosage of medication & I'm going through it while I taper off. My family is damn near doing everything for me & the thought of driving to appointments or anywhere for that matter is terrifying.

Sometimes I wonder if the medication CAUSED the agoraphobia. :angry:

The meds do dampen our perceptions and senses over time and we get used to altered state. When tapering, everything felt 'off' and like my senses were on overload--vision, hearing. The grocery store and big box stores with fluorescent lights really unnerve me. One day the sky was an eerie gray-green (tornado weather in Midwest US) and I was absolutely certain something horrible was happening. I had no idea it was due to withdrawal at the time.

Thanks everyone. It's so hard dealing with this because I know I'm beginning to get on my family's nerves :(

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

I can walk around by myself for a few blocks but doing all the things I want to do is impossible right now.

• Administrator

Dani, your nervous system has become hypersensitive and normal stimulation is too much for it right now. This gives you the sensations of fear and panic.

Are you sensitive to light? Wearing dark glasses and cutting down on light stimulation in general can help.

You might try this as an experiment and see if it reduces the sensory overload.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

If my nervous system is oversensitive, what do I do? I'm trying to relax but at the same time not withdraw from the agoraphobia. I tried sunglasses but my overall fear is being outside by myself. I'm so scared I'm going to panic. I had a panic attack superbowl sunday & I was able to contain it in less than 3 minutes. But what can I do? Family members are tired of running me around town. They are growing tired of my extreme dependence...and so am i. I'm to the point where I'm probably going to go back on zoloft just so I can live again. This is not living. I feel so scared...I mean extreme fear. I feel like life is passing me by & I'm stuck in the house because I'm so scared. I'm tired of crying everyday watching everyone living their lives & I'm stuck watching them from my window. I feel helpless.

• Administrator

Just do the best you can, Dani. Don't stress your nervous system.

I know it's hard to stick up for yourself when you're so sick, but you need to do that to take care of yourself.

Going back on Zoloft may or may not work for you, you've been off it so long.

Hi Dani, I did this too. I'm just now starting to do a little bit more. I've had to have people drive me everywhere and the only place I'd go is to the doctors, and sometimes I'd even have to reschedule that for no good reason. Yesterday I actually went to a baby shower. It was a major victory! I actually did something. So yes, it does get better. I totally understand about feeling dependent on others, but we have to accept that we're sick right now, don't beat yourself up, it will get better.

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

Thanks for your responses everyone. It's just so difficult as you all know. I just want to be able to do some things by myself again. I'm 34 & feel like I've been reduced to a child with this dependence. I felt like I was starting to see recovery but after some disturbing events of the last 2 weeks, I feel like I took a HUGE step backward.

Hi Dani

I can definately relate so well to the problems you are having and yes it is wd, , i struggled with exactly the same thing, and yes i would have liked and needed at that time to be dependant on someone else, but there was no one. So i had little choice but to struggle through and force myself to do things, even though i felt like i was on another planet while doing it lol.

It seems now that with some effort on my half, i can do things, drive myself places, go to shops and queue -think id have to say that i do things now, no matter HOW I FEEL,

and to be honest it has helped a lot.

But i just wanted to pop by and say how normal this was, and i know that it will pass.

Hope it helps to know your not alone and i wish you all the best, keep walking forward, one step in front of the other , each and every day until this hell ride decides

ITS BEAT ----- and WE WON THE BATTLE, stay strong hun, know just how hard it is, trust me. xx

Began taking 30mg Seroxat on 15th Jan 1997 for grief issues. Remained at that dosage until Dec 05, did doctor ct, akathesia set in along with being non functional and overly emotional, brain fog. Doctor prescribed prozac, propranelol and diazeapam to counteract side effects, and told me to ct those 3 after 2.5/3 months use, induced wd seizure on 2nd day after ct. Was reinstated on seroxat 20mg in april 06, remained at that dose until Nov 07 and began a very slow taper lasting 56 months, finally DRUG FREE on 11th may 2011.

I want to thank everyone again for their kind words & support.

I feel fine when I'm with someone else in the car. At first I was so scared to even sit in the passenger seat. I'm not afraid of that anymore. I can go to the supermarket with someone. The mall? Nope. Too overwhelming. But I (and my therapist) figured since I'm okay when someone is driving, maybe it's time I start doing things myself like taking the bus a couple of stops alone. It was the worst thing...EVER! I tried twice and I nearly jumped out the window. I was so TERRIFIED. I am so scared to keep trying because I feel like I will end up in the hospital.

I've been feeling very similar to you, LoveMissesG. I've been feeling so guilty about asking my family to do so much for me, it makes me feel like a baby or some 90 year old :/. I'm young too (18), and started the meds at 13 too. My family is forced to drive me everywhere though, because I haven't gotten a license yet due to being drugged-out..

Goldy's (18yr old) history:

07-08: Lexapro, Wellbutrin, Effexor, Cymbalta--All withdrawn abrubtly. Only had bad w/d symptoms from Cymbalta. 08-'11- Prescribed Geodon, took until October '11, gradually withdrawn randomly from 120mg-70mg , naturopath helped w/d the rest with GF diet and neuroscience :/.

09-now: Lorazepam, doctor ct'ed from 3mg in Oct '11 until Dec '11 [HORRID!], reinstated to 3mg.

Zoloft: overstimulation effects on dec 20th '11, naturopath ct'ed it, reinstated to 25mg

Now: Suffering terrible symptoms continously from 08-now, now on 20mg Zoloft, 3mg Ativan.

-PLEASE HELP ME FIND A DOC! PM ME.-

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1601-goldy-reduced-zoloft-too-fast/page__gopid__15777

I've been feeling very similar to you, LoveMissesG. I've been feeling so guilty about asking my family to do so much for me, it makes me feel like a baby or some 90 year old :/. I'm young too (18), and started the meds at 13 too. My family is forced to drive me everywhere though, because I haven't gotten a license yet due to being drugged-out..

Don't give up Goldy! I didn't get my license til I was 19 & then it took me three try's LOL. I've never met anyone else who started out on meds so young. If I could go back to your age (I'm 24 now) I'd have come off of them my first year of college. Don't let the meds take your life away! ;)

Diagnosed With

Depression, Social Anxiety Disorder & Agoraphobia.

Also NLD (Non Verbal Learning Disorder)

Meds I've Taken Since The Age of 13:

Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Cymbalta, Vyvanse, Concerta, Intuniv, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Valium, Abilify, Lithium. These meds were never consistent & I was constantly switching on & off due to psychiatrists treating what I now know were side effects.

Currently Taking:

Prozac 7.5 mg (Weaning off)

Valium 2 mg

): This is very hard *sigh* Trying to stay positive. I also found out I need surgery in the near future. I'm not even sure how this will work during withdrawal...especially if my nervous system is hypersensitive.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy