Sign in to follow this  
butterflyblossom

butteflyblossom: Jaded outlook since having been in the 'system' for 16 years.

butterflyblossom

Hey all! 

I am very pleased to have found this, what looks to be like a very well kept and informative supportive site

. I have been within the mental health system for 16 years now, and it feels like my life revolves around it. I am beginning to see that I really need to step away assertively from my doctors and social worker to have greater independance and sense of identity. 

I have been on Olanzapine and Epilum Chrono, or Sodium Valporate for all this time and I really want to go without soon. I won't do so until I know i'm fully prepared and ready, but I feel like I'm getting there which is great.I hope that my doctor complies with my wish when it comes to it.

I look forward to meeting some of you and sharing in stories and gaining and giving support. :-)

RachelE

Welcome to the site, Butterfly Blossom. I hope all goes well for you; maybe you can even turn out to be one of those "unicorns" who goes through withdrawal with only a few mild symptoms or none! ;)

ChessieCat

Hi butterflyblossom,

Welcome to SA.  There is a wealth of information on this site and it really good to have peer support and be able to ask questions when tapering.

It will be helpful if you would Please put your Withdrawal History in Signature.  Please include details for the last 12-18 months of  all drugs, dates, doses and discontinuations & reinstatements.  If you can't remember dates, please write it as "early March" or "mid-August".  Please provide a summary of any drugs prior to that which can just be listed with start and stop years. Please include all prescription, non-prescription drugs and supplements you are currently taking.

I'm giving you a list of links to check out:

Before you begin tapering what you need to know

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

"If you're not having an adverse reaction from the other medications, taper the most activating drug first. This is usually an antidepressant or stimulant (ADHD drug)."

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

These will hopefully provide tips about how to talk with your doctor.  In particular I like the one where the member says that they have told their doctor they want to be on the lowest possible dose, while having the intention of getting off the drug completely.  It is helpful to be assertive and know the ways to talk to the medical profession so that you can get what you need for your taper.

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

These helped me to understand SA's harm reduction method of tapering no more than 10% of the previous dose followed by a hold of at least 3-4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.

Brain Remodelling

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

You can ask questions here in your Intro/Update topic and journal your progress.  Click "Follow" top right and you will be notified when someone responds.