SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Blondiee1915: 3 months off lexapro - does it get better?

Blondiee1915

2 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Hi Frogie, 

Good to hear from you, hope you are doing well 

For low blood pressure you should drink more water and also can increase your salt intake.  I also heard dark chocolate can help.  Mine is constantly 90/60 sometimes even lower.  Those the only things I have heard of and tried.  

I drink a ton of water everyday.

I really think it's from tapering Lexapro.

But I'm glad I'm not the only one. I hope it goes away once we are done these horrible meds.

Hope you are feeling well.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

It could be, hopefully it will get better for you <3 

04/10 Luvox 25 mg PM, Nortriptyline 1 mg PM

03/08/19: Buspar 2.5 mg AM, 5 mg PM

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

12/18 Armour Thyroid 60 mg (for hypothyroidism) 

Supplements: B Complex, B12 (adeno), multi-vitamin, D, Adrenal Cortex, iron

• Lexapro 20 mg 2007 - 2013 with various attempts to stop
  • 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • Lexapro 15 mg 2015 - 04/2016
  • Vibryiid 10 - 15mg 05/16-06/16 
  • NO MEDS 07/16 - 10/31/16
  • Reinstated 10/31/16 at 2.5 mg lexapro, increased to 5 mg   
  • 1/13/17 switched to Luvox 50 mg before bed
  • 1/20/17 Luvox 37.5 mg PM
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
11 minutes ago, Blondiee1915 said:

It could be, hopefully it will get better for you <3 

I hope it gets better for you too. :)

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

thank you Frogie ☺️ Better for all of us 

01/01/19: Xanax 0.125 AM 5 times a week. Occasionally, 0.125 twice a day AM & noon

• 2013 found a new Dr and started trying other meds: Prozac, Notryptoline, Effexor, Buspar, Gabapentin, Paxil, Nardil
  • 12/18 Luvox 10 mg PM, Nortriptyline 2 mg (started Nortriptyline 06/17 at 10 mg)
1 hour ago, Blondiee1915 said:

thank you Frogie ☺️ Better for all of us 

I hope it is better for all of us too. :)

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if it is possible to beat anxiety and panic attacks without medication (I believe it is possible, but just want another input).  For the past couple weeks I have been experiencing more anxiety.  I am not sure anymore if this relates to WD or anxiety or both and I know that it does not matter anyway, but I feel like if I knew why I am feeling the way I am it will help me more forward. 

A little history - the anxiety prior to medication that I experienced included a few instances of panic attacks where I would feel sweaty, difficulty breathing, detached, and weak legs.  After they passed I felt my normal self.  When I was placed on medication it helped with panic attacks, but it did not make me feel normal.  I experienced dizziness, and social uncomfortable feeling, and tiredness (major symptoms).  Since I stopped medication and then reinstated the "anxiety" feeling I am experiencing is different compared to my pre-medication state.  I feel unsteady, dizzy, detached, weak, and I feel like I can faint at any minute when it gets more intense.  I also feel pretty exhausted alot which does not help at all.  I keep doing research on anxiety and I believe that perhaps my body after experiencing stress for some time and plus additional stress due to withdrawal depleted my system and I just cannot turn off that feeling of dizziness, detachment, weakness and fatigue.  I keep pushing forward because I do want to be medication free and I do believe in human ability and right to exist without being medicated and live a happy life.    

I keep getting frustrated because nothing in my life at the moment is stressful (except for my work which is stressful in the sense that I am scarred to have a panic attack there).  I keep exercising a few times a week, I eat well, avoid dairy for inflammation purposes, I don't drink alcohol, I sleep 8 hours at least, I practice my meditation and take supplements yet I see little progress in my recovery.  So my judgmental brain tells me if you are capable and strong enough to conquer anxiety you would have done it and maybe you cannot and even though you have done all of these things in order to minimize your anxiety it won't go away.  I guess I just want to know that this is still possible, and I can have a functional life.  I do feel better with rest which is nice and I should be thankful because other people are much worse.  

I also have this health anxiety that maybe the way I feel is because there is something medically wrong.  I did find a very nice naturopath.  She was so helpful and spent over and hour and half with me.  She is testing my hormones and did order some blood work which hopefully will help me to accept that there is nothing wrong with me.  She removed me from fish oil and a high dose of methyl folate as she said since I was taking this for over a year and did not get re-tested that could have been adding to my anxiety state.  She placed me on a multivitamin that stabilizes blood sugar (as I have hypoglycemia) and added a mineral complex.  She seems very nice and carrying and actually listens.  I just hope she can help me.  

I know this is a site for WD help and noone can advise on anxiety issues, but I was hoping maybe someone can provide an input on this or can relate in any sense.  Or could the WD still be happening in my case and all of these symptoms or at least a portion of them is happening because of WD?  

Sorry for a pessimistic post :|

B

• Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

I was wondering if it is possible to beat anxiety and panic attacks without medication (I believe it is possible, but just want another input). 

Blondiee,

As you know, we are in a similar boat (a rocky one at that!) when it comes to a lot of this.  I am a strong believer that anxiety and panic attacks can be dealt with through cognitive rewiring and that medicines only mask the symptoms and make things worse in the long run.

A little history - the anxiety prior to medication that I experienced included a few instances of panic attacks where I would feel sweaty, difficulty breathing, detached, and weak legs.  After they passed I felt my normal self.  When I was placed on medication it helped with panic attacks, but it did not make me feel normal.  I experienced dizziness, and social uncomfortable feeling, and tiredness (major symptoms).  Since I stopped medication and then reinstated the "anxiety" feeling I am experiencing is different compared to my pre-medication state.  I feel unsteady, dizzy, detached, weak, and I feel like I can faint at any minute when it gets more intense.  I also feel pretty exhausted alot which does not help at all.  I keep doing research on anxiety and I believe that perhaps my body after experiencing stress for some time and plus additional stress due to withdrawal depleted my system and I just cannot turn off that feeling of dizziness, detachment, weakness and fatigue.  I keep pushing forward because I do want to be medication free and I do believe in human ability and right to exist without being medicated and live a happy life.    

These are all classic signs of an overstressed CNS.  Whether that came from anxiety, withdrawal or a combination (my vote), until the nervous system is destressed if you are prone to symptoms around the stress it is hard to get rid of them.  Acceptance, as difficult as that may seem, is the key.  And it needs to be "passive" acceptance to the extent possible.  Grudgingly accepting while fighting it every step of the way does not allow the CNS to calm down.

I keep getting frustrated because nothing in my life at the moment is stressful (except for my work which is stressful in the sense that I am scarred to have a panic attack there).  I keep exercising a few times a week, I eat well, avoid dairy for inflammation purposes, I don't drink alcohol, I sleep 8 hours at least, I practice my meditation and take supplements yet I see little progress in my recovery.  So my judgmental brain tells me if you are capable and strong enough to conquer anxiety you would have done it and maybe you cannot and even though you have done all of these things in order to minimize your anxiety it won't go away.  I guess I just want to know that this is still possible, and I can have a functional life.  I do feel better with rest which is nice and I should be thankful because other people are much worse.  

The very existence of the symptoms is stressful unless and until you can completely accept them as being indications of an overstressed CNS.  Every time you feel dizzy and think "what if..." you are triggering the fight or flight mechanism, releasing more stress hormones, triggering more symptoms due to those hormones and continuing the vicious cycle that has arisen.  The health anxiety is enough of a stressor that it essentially negates all the meditation and other efforts at relaxation.  So, in fact, your life is not really without stress -- it is filled with stress 24/7, hence the conundrum.

She seems very nice and carrying and actually listens.  I just hope she can help me. 

The way she will help you is if you have faith in her that if she says, "there's nothing wrong other than stress and anxiety" you will believe her and begin the path toward accepting that what is going on is not some insidious disease but, rather, the nervous system rebelling as a result of being overstressed in combination with the introduction and withdrawal of the medicines.

By the way, I say all this as if I've conquered it.  I am in the throes of dealing with it on a constant basis so you have my full and complete empathy.

It will get better, Blondiee.  It will, unfortunately, in all likelihood take some time.

Sorry for a pessimistic post :|

No need to apologize.  It sucks and you have a right to speak your mind and seek reassurance.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

• Mentor
3 hours ago, apace41 said:

The very existence of the symptoms is stressful unless and until you can completely accept them as being indications of an overstressed CNS.  Every time you feel dizzy and think "what if..." you are triggering the fight or flight mechanism, releasing more stress hormones, triggering more symptoms due to those hormones and continuing the vicious cycle that has arisen.  The health anxiety is enough of a stressor that it essentially negates all the meditation and other efforts at relaxation.  So, in fact, your life is not really without stress -- it is filled with stress 24/7, hence the conundrum.

Sorry to interject, but I wanted to thank you Andy for this explanation.

I was wondering myself why sometimes I'd have waves when my life is so stress free.

I don't think "what if.." when I have a symptom, but I do sometimes get angry, like, this can't still be happening, I've done my time, this should be completely over... and  I kind of freeze and try to play dead.

I read a book about animals recently that said it's more than just fight or flight, there's  a 3rd response, to freeze.

That's the one I do sometimes, maybe even more often than I know.

Blondie, this whole process makes us question ourselves SO much, it's exhausting. but I think you're on the right road and that you're going to heal completely soon.

what do you do when you get a bout of health anxiety? what helps you calm yourself down from that?

do you do things to prove to yourself that you're strong and overall quite healthy?

Just curious, I've had a tiny bit of health anxiety through out this process, although for me it's more anxiety about needing to depend on any kind of health care workers whom i have almost no faith in any more...

My thought is to find ways to reassure myself that I"m ok. I did agree to some blood testing last winter when I was getting dizzy and lightheaded and it was all fine of course. Only thing I learned was that I no longer needed hypertension meds, my blood pressure is great now! 

it's good to hear from you, I wish you were doing better but overall, you seem to be doing ok, don't you think?

focus on all the good things, all the things that have improved.

you don't have to deny that bad things still  happen, just acknowledge them, accept them and move on (or float, if need be)

you've got this!! you're going to be fine!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Andy & Happy2Heal - thank you for your support and kind words, truly means alot.  Apologies, I did not respond sooner. 

For me I am beginning to think that there is a present anxiety factor weather existing by itself or induced by withdrawal and my behavior.  I am realizing that my fear is a possibility of fainting in front of everyone or in the middle of an empty street and that implies not being in control of myself and being embarrassed.  I think it comes from my past and being on my own since 15 and making sure I was not a failure.  I believe if I can overcome this I would be better.  And when I am pretty fatigued that just takes it to another level.  And yes, I do have to learn to accept it and not fear it.  What makes me feel better is making sure I eat right and sleep enough and do my blood work to make sure there is nothing wrong.  It is like my body just does not want to accept that this could be anxiety and WD lingering.  

H2H - thank you for reminding me that I am doing okay overall,  I guess I just get greedy at times because I just want to be all better.  But yes, I think I am better.  Fatigue is still intense.  But emotionally I am better.  I do not have that lethargic heavy feeling and my mood is pretty okay.  And I truly do believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.  

Hope you guys are doing okay.  I do read everyone's updates and will make sure to stop by your threads <3

I was cleaning today and came across a printout from my CBT sessions way back when.  I did enjoy this sort of therapy when I went but it became expensive and because my doctor at the time kept switching drugs it was not effective.  But I wanted to post it here for anyone who is struggling with anxiety.  

Cognitive Reappraisal - is a research supported way of managing anxiety by changing how we think.  That is, it is a tool that helps us feel less anxious by thinking in a less anxiety-provoking manner

Thoughts are not facts.  The are a form of information.  Sometimes this information corresponds well with the reality of the world.  Sometimes it does not.  Sometimes it is somewhere in the middle.  This means we cant believe everything we think, just like we cant believe everything we read.  Distorted thoughts should not be taken at face value.  They should be takes with a grain of salt!

Reappraisal promotes this goal by helping us assess our thoughts and loosen belief in those that do not hold water.  The goal is not smashing thoughts into oblivion or replacing scary ideas with blissful ones.  Rather, it is stepping back from a few paces, examining our thoughts dispassionately and seeing if a broader, anxiety-reducing reality emerges. 

When feeling anxious..... 

Step 1Identify anxiety-related thoughts (usually linked to threats):

Ask yourself questions like: What do you think will happen? What is the worst case scenario?  What is so bad about that? 

Thought identification example: I won't make a work deadline = I will get tired = I won't have enough money to feed the family = ????

Step 2. Evaluate anxious thoughts:

A.  Look for a thread overestimation 

What is the evidence for and against your thought coming true? 

Evidence for:  people sometimes get fired for missing deadlines, the economy is bad, etc.

Evidence against: I usually make deadlines in the end, I have missed passed deadlines without getting fired, if I got fired I could find another job, etc. 

Based on the evidence above what is the realistic chance that the thought will actually happen?  0%, 10%, 20%, 30%.....90%, 100%?

B.  Look for underestimating of coping ability

In the unlikely event that the thought does come true, how could you deal with it?  

Continuing with the example: use savings to push through rough patch, get small loan from a bank, borrow money from friends, use community resources/charity, etc

I started a notebook with my own examples of anxious thoughts and working them into the above example.  Because I am a numbers person and overly analytical it helps when I break it down by evidence for and evidence against of my anxious thought becoming a reality.  

Thought I'd share 

• 1 month later...

I need advice: 

I recently started working with a naturopath and she ordered a GI mapping test which showed that I have pathogens including e colli and some overgrowth bacteria.  She suggested starting a natural antibiotic (GI microb x)  and probiotics (3 probiotics) which I started on Sunday night.  Yesterday I woke up with another intense vertigo episode and I am still spinning a day later.  Do you think it is possible that addition of a natural antibiotic and probiotics triggered this episode of vertigo? I called her and she said typically the symptoms would mean a die off of bacteria and I would get stomach ache / upset but I am just feeling very dizzy and woozy and my stomach seems okay.  I also missed a dose of my notryptoline and maybe that is what is causing my vertigo and nausea, I have no idea.  

Do you think I should stop taking GI supplements, my concern is that I want to get rid of these pathogens and if I stop the supplements it won't happen.  Or should I stick it out and hope it will get better? Strange thing is I started supplements 4 days ago and was hit with vertigo on day 4.  

Any insight is much appreciated! 

• Mentor
22 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

I also missed a dose of my notryptoline and maybe that is what is causing my vertigo and nausea,

I'd think this was the most likely cause of your symptoms

I don't know anything about GI mapping or the like. it all sounds very suspicious to me. I had GI issues that I resolved by eating more pre-biotics, which is mainly food sources of fiber (like beans)

hope you're feeling better

•  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106

Hi H2H, 

Good to hear from you, thank you for stopping by

I have no idea what caused it, but I do feel that I should have started slow with all the supplements she gave me.  I think I might be sensitive and I think it is partially my fault that I did not say anything to her in the beginning about all these supplements.  I do think it is a natural antibiotic that is triggering my vertigo.  I did not take it yesterday and felt better towards the end of the day and then I took it in the evening and felt a wave of vertigo again.  I just don't want to risk getting sicker at this point.  And I do think that if I eat a healthy diet I can "kill off" bad bacteria that way.  I saw my primary yesterday and she suggested to do a GI test there for any pathogens/bacteria.  Plus the only GI issue I experienced was bloating.  

B

• Mentor

most supplements make me nervous. they are not well regulated or really, regulated at all

and since most drs Rxed these other drugs (psych)for us will nilly, I personally don't trust any dr to Rx anything, natural or not. I do extensive research on my own before I put anything into my body now!! 

most of the real research done on supplements shows that they cause more problems than the cure. Also that determining the exact dose that is helpful but not harmful is not easy to do. it's the dose that determines if something is a poison or not. My mom was given mega doses of beta carotene that was supposed to help with lung cancer, it was a clinical trial that ended up making the cancer SPREAD, so they had to stop the study. Beta carotene from carrots and other foods is fine, but getting a mega dose of the stuff, not so good. When you eat a whole food, you get all the fiber and micro nutrients and plant nutrients you can't get from a pill. But they keep trying to find some magic pill that will work better than a good diet of healthy foods. It's so silly. Just eat the food. 😕

I've got a lot of friends who are now being put on massive doses of supplements that are supposed to "kill off bad bacteria" and to be honest, it all sounds very hokey to me. at best, I think they are spending a lot of money needlessly, on the other end of the scale, I worry that they are only making their problem worse. I am just really nervous about this stuff.

this article explains about the good and bad bacteria in our guts:

https://nutritionfacts.org/topics/microbiome/

Does the naturopath think addressing GI issues is of the highest priority?

Unless you’re living in the perfect environment I think most everyone has some “imbalance” in their intestinal flora.  My understanding intestinal flora changes in response to a multitude of factors.   And we know (now) that the gut/brain connection is significant, so one can affect the other.

Could you ask which antibiotic/probiotic is of most importance and just focus on that, slowly?  Personally, I have had good luck with one probiotic, but I could live without it just fine.

On and off various medicines since 1989

2009:  Prescribed Lexapro 5mg and Abilify 5mg
2015:  discovered MTHFR snp, went on Walsh protocol, felt better

2016:  down to 2.5mg each of Lexapro and Abilify

2017:  down to .7mg of Abilify, obtained liquid form.

Currently at .4mg of Abilify

She did say addressing GI issues should be a priority.  I did two tests - hormone and GI test and even though the hormone test showed low level of cortisol in the AM she said that is secondary and she is hoping some of my fatigue and dizziness is attributed to the pathogens that were found in the gut.  My only concern is the medication/WD interaction of natural antibiotic which I believe I had with this GI microb x.  I spoke with her yesterday and she told me to switch to oregano oil capsules as that acts as a pathogens destroyer too.  I started last night and I am okay so far.  I keep reading about this die of effect and how I can feel worst in the beginning as the pathogens are getting eliminated the release of them can cause symptoms initially to get worse, but how do I know if this is not a reaction of WD/med interaction.  The other thing is that the only GI concern I have is occasional bloating which I do not think is a big deal.  

I keep reading about oregano oil and there is a possible interaction and side effects, I am feeling okay since I took it yesterday, but I am just nervous still.  My options are to continue taking it or stop taking it and get another GI test (should be covered by the insurance) from my primary doctor.  And I do agree we should have some sort of bacteria and I keep thinking maybe with proper diet and some Kombucha I can be okay and just stop all these pribiotics and oregano oil.  But then my other part of the brain tells me what if these pathogens are making me fatigued I should continue.  

Hope you are doing okay.  Thank you for your input 

7 minutes ago, Blondiee1915 said:

She did say addressing GI issues should be a priority.  I did two tests - hormone and GI test and even though the hormone test showed low level of cortisol in the AM she said that is secondary and she is hoping some of my fatigue and dizziness is attributed to the pathogens that were found in the gut.  My only concern is the medication/WD interaction of natural antibiotic which I believe I had with this GI microb x.  I spoke with her yesterday and she told me to switch to oregano oil capsules as that acts as a pathogens destroyer too.  I started last night and I am okay so far.  I keep reading about this die of effect and how I can feel worst in the beginning as the pathogens are getting eliminated the release of them can cause symptoms initially to get worse, but how do I know if this is not a reaction of WD/med interaction.  The other thing is that the only GI concern I have is occasional bloating which I do not think is a big deal.  

I keep reading about oregano oil and there is a possible interaction and side effects, I am feeling okay since I took it yesterday, but I am just nervous still.  My options are to continue taking it or stop taking it and get another GI test (should be covered by the insurance) from my primary doctor.  And I do agree we should have some sort of bacteria and I keep thinking maybe with proper diet and some Kombucha I can be okay and just stop all these pribiotics and oregano oil.  But then my other part of the brain tells me what if these pathogens are making me fatigued I should continue.  

Hope you are doing okay.  Thank you for your input 

Am in the same boat Blondiee......

Have had to take a break from taking Anti-fungals and wait till I'm mentally more able to cope with the supplement side of the anti-Candida diet.

For now am following the food side of the diet.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi JC !

That actually sounds like a good idea too.  Maybe I should also take a small break and just focus on the diet aspect.  Do you mind sharing what diet protocol you are following?  I also feel I am not emotionally capable to deal with adding all these supplements and it creates even greater anxiety for me at the moment.  Perhaps stabilizing first from that whole vertigo fiasco should be my priority. 

Nice to meet you :)

2 minutes ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Hi JC !

That actually sounds like a good idea too.  Maybe I should also take a small break and just focus on the diet aspect.  Do you mind sharing what diet protocol you are following?  I also feel I am not emotionally capable to deal with adding all these supplements and it creates even greater anxiety for me at the moment.  Perhaps stabilizing first from that whole vertigo fiasco should be my priority. 

Nice to meet you :)

Hey Blondiee!

Nice meeting you too :0)

My issue was not being able to differentiate between WD and/or "die-off" symptoms.......the mouth "issue" I had (turned out not to be an issue), put me into a high state of anxiety.  Initially thought it was oral thrush on account of suppressed immune system, caused by WD/die off??

My naturopath said that because I decided to hit 0mg AND do the anti-Candida diet......it's TOO much for me to cope with.

I am following a detox diet (but anti-Candida) by a company called "Nutri-Advanced".  I actually did it last year.  I don't have the exact same set of supplements as I had last year, but I am still taking supplements by them.

Am doing this for 3 months.

What protocol are you following?

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Sounds interesting.  I will check out the protocol you are referring to.  I am actually new to this as I never experienced GI issues and found out my results a week ago.  I am just eating clean, eliminating dairy, sugar and processed foods and taking supplements such as mutli vitamin, mineral, iron, magnesium.  Your naturopath sounds reasonable suggesting it might be much for you at the moment.  Maybe I should do the same and listen to my body and once feel better continue with the GI supplements.  😐

9 minutes ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Sounds interesting.  I will check out the protocol you are referring to.  I am actually new to this as I never experienced GI issues and found out my results a week ago.  I am just eating clean, eliminating dairy, sugar and processed foods and taking supplements such as mutli vitamin, mineral, iron, magnesium.  Your naturopath sounds reasonable suggesting it might be much for you at the moment.  Maybe I should do the same and listen to my body and once feel better continue with the GI supplements.  😐

I have been working with her for over a year now, so she knows me pretty well, and my struggle to get of ADs etc.,

Sounds like you are on the right track, .....your diet is basically what I'm doing.

If the anti-fungal are causing you to have die-off symptoms, then back off those completely and eat foods rich in anti-fungal properties.  It will be gentler on you.

YES, listen to your body!

Major Life Events: 

On 10/23/2016 at 5:32 AM, Blondiee1915 said:

Hi!

Thank you so much for getting back to me.  I really appreciate any feedback 

I just adjusted my signature and added my history 

I am so nervous to reinstate lexapro and I am not sure if I should hold off a bit longer.  Considering I was on this medication on and off for 9 years maybe I need to withdraw much slower I am not sure.  I feel hopeless and sad that this is how I feel and it is not getting better.  I want to go to the gym to run outside, go to yoga, take my dog to a park.  But the spinning and disbalance, detached feeling,  clogging in ears feeling of omg I might faint (anxiety? side effect?) is preventing me from all this.  

I dont know if I should call my old psychiatrist or find a new one that take my insurance or just reinstate lexapro myself which I really dont want to do it is like going back and reversing :(((((( 

very discouraged today and just feel like a loser for not being able to be "normal" and handle life 

I was on Lexapro for 5 years. I was on 20mg and currently on 5mg, and too scared to stop. I’ve felt almost everything you have. My issues are mostly emotional. 3 months is not long so sounds like you’re still recovering from stopping the meds. I believe from what I’ve read, the longer you have taken meds, the longer it may take for your brain to heal. I would have thought it may be closer to 6 months- 1 year to see improvements... 

do you ever have a window- times when you almost feel normal? 

Hi! I’m JustCope. 

Currently tapering off 20mg lexapro. I’m about 10 weeks in and at 5mg- kinda fast I realise- stupidly listened to a GP who spoke to me for 5 mins about stopping lexapro. 🤕

Justcope - 

I am sorry you are struggling with WD.  The post that you quoted was from over a year and half ago and I did improve from that somewhat.  I do not believe I had any windows where I felt like pre medication but I do have days where they are more manageable than before. 

I also think that I have an underlying anxiety issues which adds up to my symptoms such as dizziness and fatigue and that lexapro significantly depleted my adrenals where I am suspecting adrenal fatigue. There are a few people on here that suffer from lexapro fatigue. As far as emotional symptoms go I am doing okay.  The lethargy that I felt and intense fear are no longer present which I am thankful for.  

As far as my recovery goes these are the things that I do:  clean diet (no sugar and simple carbs),  light cardio/ yoga 2-3 times a week,  supplements (magnesium, iron, fish oil and adrenal supplements, vitamin b complex), meditation before bed 10/15 mins deep body scan, occasional journalizing,  in bed by 9.30 10 to make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep

did you taper slowly? Do you suffer from fatigue? I would say listen to your body and take it as slow as possible

4 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Justcope - 

I am sorry you are struggling with WD.  The post that you quoted was from over a year and half ago and I did improve from that somewhat.  I do not believe I had any windows where I felt like pre medication but I do have days where they are more manageable than before. 

I also think that I have an underlying anxiety issues which adds up to my symptoms such as dizziness and fatigue and that lexapro significantly depleted my adrenals where I am suspecting adrenal fatigue. There are a few people on here that suffer from lexapro fatigue. As far as emotional symptoms go I am doing okay.  The lethargy that I felt and intense fear are no longer present which I am thankful for.  

As far as my recovery goes these are the things that I do:  clean diet (no sugar and simple carbs),  light cardio/ yoga 2-3 times a week,  supplements (magnesium, iron, fish oil and adrenal supplements, vitamin b complex), meditation before bed 10/15 mins deep body scan, occasional journalizing,  in bed by 9.30 10 to make sure I get at least 8 hours of sleep

did you taper slowly? Do you suffer from fatigue? I would say listen to your body and take it as slow as possible

My Dr tried to taper me off over 2 weeks. Dropped from 20 to 10 mg strait away. This hit like a ton of bricks so I slowed down myself. I stayed on 10mg for about 6 weeks then dropped to 5mg. This drop is proving difficult. It’s been about 6 weeks that I’m on 5mg and still very up and down. Not stabilising as I did on 10mg. 

I already had anxiety so I know this plays a part, I just thought I’d worked up enough coping skills to manage it. Boy was I wrong! 😂 

I’m not sure about the lexapro fatigue. I’m pretty tired often, but the insistent anxiety gives me some energy. Prob not in a good way. 

I got a cold recently and it’s taken over two weeks to shake it- this never happens to me. My sleep is a little over the place which is a bummer as I was always a good sleeper. 

I will definitely take your advice. I now need to be in bed by 10pm to sleep 8 hours because my body automatically wakes pretty early now. That’s maybe a good thing? I’m not late to work anymore! But if I have s late night, and I’m extra tired the next day, my anxiety is sky high 😞 

I’m learning that I need to eat as well as you also. If I eat something bad, I will inevitably feel awful. 

I was meditating before bed. I will pick this up again. I was going for walks daily which I believe I need to do- I skipped 2 weeks from being sick and now anxiety is rampant. 

Was I have noticed is the 1 -2 weeks before my period(pms?) I’m much worse. This is where I struggle the most. 

Hi! I’m JustCope. 

Currently tapering off 20mg lexapro. I’m about 10 weeks in and at 5mg- kinda fast I realise- stupidly listened to a GP who spoke to me for 5 mins about stopping lexapro. 🤕

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Blondie?

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Bubble,

Thank you so much for checking in.  I meant to write an update.  September/October marks my two year of discovering SA and starting this healing journey.  Nothing too exciting unfortunately and I guess fortunately too. 

I am still slowly tapering off Luvox (I am down to 11 beads which is approximately 12 mg) and down on Nortriptyline to 6 mg (from the initial 10 mg).  I am going super slow on both, counting the beads for Luvox and doing liquid for Nortriptyline.  I do not know why I added nortriptyline in the first place (summer 2017) as I really don’t think it did anything for me.  But lesson learnt, and here I am a year later decreasing it slowly.  I am hopeful that in a year time frame I will be off both of these meds; that is the plan at least.

As far as my symptoms go I am still struggling with fatigue; that is my major symptom at this point.  I am sleeping well overall.  I get about 8/9 hours each night.  Some nights typically Sunday night into the Monday I have some insomnia/broken sleep and anxiety and I do think it is more psychological as I am thinking about a long work week ahead.  On the weekends I sleep much better.  However, in the morning I still wake up not refreshed and heavy headed.  It is truly frustrating to say the least.  I keep reminding myself that it is not dangerous and that during the two year period I was tired too yet managed to get through the day without falling anywhere.  I think the fatigue is halting my recovery and the fact that I have to go to work feeling that way adds to the anxiety and my body is in the constant flight/fight mode and I just cannot relax.  It is a perpetual circle that I am still trying to get out of if that makes sense. 

On the other side if I stayed at home all day, I would be ruminating and isolating myself even more so the fact that I have to get dressed and be with people makes me feel a bit more functional.  I keep thinking about looking for a remote job or a job that can offer me some flexibility.  Something where I can work from home once or twice a week would be ideal.  However, I do not see anything on the market at this point and I know that I will have to compromise on the salary if that were to happen.  I do not have anyone to rely on support for and I also have to help my parents financially.  We shall see.  But I am becoming more accepting to the fact that if my fatigue continues to worsen I have to make that decision and leave a good paying job, 9-5 job, with great people and an easy commute.  But my health comes first.  I have to continue telling myself that. 

I am certain that Lexapro did some damage while I was on it to my liver, adrenals and my gut.  When I stopped rather quickly it truly shocked my whole body even more.  I started looking into thyroid and adrenal connection and apparently two and two go together.  I found a functional doctor who tested a whole thyroid panel for me: T3, T4, Reverse T3.  It showed that my T4 was optimal but T3 was on the low end and Reverse T3 was pretty high.  In a normal functional individual with no thyroid or adrenal issues T4 hormone which is an inactive storage hormone converts to T3 which is an active hormone.  In my case instead of T4 converting to T3 it goes towards Reverse T3 and blocks the conversion to T3.  One of the main reason for this is stress or illness, hello SSRI withdrawal!  During the time of extreme stress instead of metabolizing T4 into T3 and creating energy the body protects itself and conserves the energy and slows down the energy production which in turn creates many symptoms such as fatigue, brain fog, dizziness.  This finally makes sense to me.  It all comes down to withdrawal being a major stress on the body.  And of course cortisol.  The adrenals are drained from years on SSRI and then drained even more by withdrawal, anxiety, worry and so forth. 

It is mind blowing how stress ties to so many things.  The focus for me is to continue to practice my meditations, gratitude, yoga, and do activities that I enjoy like reading.  However, I still find it hard to try to add social things to my life without them being too much on my body.  It is all about balance at this point and realizing that I cannot do everything (for now) and of course accepting it.  It is hard being young yet feeling “old”.  But I tell myself to concentrate on the positive be thankful for little accomplishments and just move forward.  There is light at the end of the tunnel. 

I am seeing my functional doctor in a few weeks and we will discuss if treatment for thyroid is appropriate at this point.  I am still within range on the test but not optimal.  I am doing tons of research on T3 and discovered that it is important to treat and find the cause of a high Reverse T3 (in my case it would be stress triggered by WD), but many find relief by adding a T3 only medication.  I do not know if this is an option for me yet but I am still looking into this.

Another important area that I have to work on would be my gut.  I know I am perhaps a bit obsessive with my health, but I did have a GI test and there were some pathogens and bacterial growth discovered (nothing serious).  I am hoping to start a probiotic and a natural antibiotic and do that for a month or so and then get re-tested.  I eat pretty clean (90% of the time).  I am pretty much dairy and gluten free, but I do have the days when I just want that pizza and ice cream.  For me it is all about the balance.  Plus, since I lost 15 or so pounds since coming off Lexapro I am okay to have that random cheat day.  I also have coffee on weekends as a treat. 

The other big symptoms besides the fatigue are dizziness, the feeling of disbalance, weakness at times, DP/DR and anxiety.  They are greatly increased in intensity if my fatigue increases which then adds anxiety as well. 

As far as my emotions go I am overall okay.  I am working with a therapist.  I finally found a person that I feel like gets me and has some strategies for me and keeps me focused and motivated.  I am still discovering myself after being numb and indifferent for so many years.  I try to enjoy the moment and learn how to be in the moment.  Being fatigued or in the flight or fight mode is challenging.  So it is work for me to remember to sit and breathe, to listen to my breath and relax. 

I know I have issues with anxiety to begin with.  I think it is important to recognize that anxiety is very powerful and at times we can have it without being in withdrawal or ever being on medicine.  I think it is important for people on these forums to remember that and instead of blaming anxiety on withdrawal do something to help themselves.  I am a firm believer that we have to also do something to help ourselves heal.  Yes time heals, but we can also help ourselves and speed up a process maybe: acceptance in those desperate hours, with hope, gratitude, developing a hobby, meditation, anything that relaxes and soothes you.   Becoming obsessive, searching symptoms nonstop, and spending numerous hours in isolation dwelling is not helpful.  I am guilty of that for sure and at times when I am out socially (which is still a rarity) I feel like I should be at home searching and looking at my lab results.  I feel like a social outlier but that is because of what I have been through and how I learnt to cope.  

Anyways, sorry for a long update.  I did not mean to make it a novel but just feeling a bit wordy tonight :)

Overall I would say I am in a better place compared to two years ago.  I am still taking it a day at a time and have some very crappy days where I do not know how I am going to make it through a work day, but I think I am making slight progress and I just continue to move forward.  

B.

On the other side if I stayed at home all day, I would be ruminating and isolating myself even more so the fact that I have to get dressed and be with people makes me feel a bit more functional.

Word !!!   I get a lot of compliments about going to work , but this is exactly why I force myself to do it ..

Anyways, sorry for a long update.  I did not mean to make it a novel but just feeling a bit wordy tonight :)

Since I haven't heard from you in awhile , there's no need to apologize . I enjoyed this positive update Blondee . You gonna make it ...

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

Hi Alice1! So good to hear from you and thanks for reading that long update lol

I am hopeful and truly believe we will all make it.  I keep thinking of all my fellow lexapro friends and it helps in those difficult times you know

will stop by your thread later and see what you have been up to 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I got an official diagnosis of hypothyroidism today.  The functional medicine doctor ran a few tests to confirm it and today during my follow up he officially diagnosed me.  I am being put on thyroid medication (going to start this weekend) 

I am feeling relieved and nervous at the same time.  Relieved because during the two year time phrase my fatigue did not let up (maybe a bit here and there).  I was always tired even on the medication, and it kept getting worse and when in WD it became even more debilitating like nothing I experienced.  I am not sure if WD triggered it or I always had it but WD made it much worse.  I always felt that if this fatigue would lift I would be on a much better path to healing.  I feel fine emotionally and pretty happy about the future my only symptoms are fatigue, dizziness and brain fog and some detachment.  Of course some are WD related and possibly my anxiety but perhaps it is thyroid?  

I am hopeful but I know this will be a bumpy road (finding the dose that works and side effects).  I now have to be careful with my taper and this new medication.  Step at the time but overall happy to know that there is another cause for the fatigue besides WD 

Maybe we should wait to see if Mods would microdose the new thyroid med .. Just a thought ..

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

Hmmm I wonder if there is a way to microdose the medication.  The starting dose for armour is 30 mg he said he thinks I'm sensitive and wants me to do 15 mg instead and every other day 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/18/2018 at 2:32 AM, Blondiee1915 said:

Something where I can work from home once or twice a week would be idea

This is the exact sentence I could write so I had to comment even before reading the whole of the update... As you say, staying at home is not a solution but dealing with the full monty of the working week is definitely too much. I hope we find something more flexible. On another note, if we are to go by how things have been so far I'm looking into another 5 years of tapering. This realisation is beyond scary... 

It's great that you can handle your taper so well but please be careful. Tapering two meds at the same time is quite risky...

I have an app that monitors my sleep and it reports that I have little deep sleep although my total sleep is not so bad. That makes me very dysfunctional...

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 9/18/2018 at 2:32 AM, Blondiee1915 said:

I think it is important for people on these forums to remember that and instead of blaming anxiety on withdrawal do something to help themselves.  I am a firm believer that we have to also do something to help ourselves heal.  Yes time heals, but we can also help ourselves and speed up a process maybe: acceptance in those desperate hours, with hope, gratitude, developing a hobby, meditation, anything that relaxes and soothes you.   Becoming obsessive, searching symptoms nonstop, and spending numerous hours in isolation dwelling is not helpful.  I am guilty of that for sure and at times when I am out socially (which is still a rarity) I feel like I should be at home searching and looking at my lab results.  I feel like a social outlier but that is because of what I have been through and how I learnt to cope.  

I loved your update. Not only are you in a better place but you have learnt important things through this process. 

Hello, 

Your brain is having to repair itself and after researching it is normal to have those symptoms. You should go see a naturopathic doctor! They can do a natural route for your symptoms instead of going back on lexapro :) 

On 9/27/2018 at 3:26 PM, bubble said:

I have an app that monitors my sleep and it reports that I have little deep sleep although my total sleep is not so bad. That makes me very dysfunctional...

Hi bubble, thank you for stopping by.  Does it measure your REM sleep?  I had a sleep study done I was convinced I had narcolepsy and it came back normal including my REM sleep.  

Have you looked into your cortisol levels? I did a saliva test and actually retesting again to see where I am.  From my research for low cortisol adrenal cortex works well as it does not contain the whole adrenal gland and thus does not have the adrenaline which can lead to anxiety.  

Hope you are managing.  And even though it is a scary realization that the taper will take this long another realization is that your body is getting freed up of this chemical and how you are now on 2.9 lexapro compared to 10 mg and down on xanax from 3 mg to 0.625 = that is a big accomplishment.  

• Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, Blondiee1915 said:

Does it measure your REM sleep?  

I guess what they call 'deep sleep' is REM... I went to a sleep specialist but when she heard I'm taking drugs she concluded it would be pointless to do a sleep study since my problem is obviously connected with my 'psychiatric problems'. She wanted to adjust my meds which I politely declined and explained that I only get worse if drugs are messed up with so she backed off.

The reason why I feel so bad about how long this tapering is taking is that I still can't give up on the idea to try and have a child (turned 41). Now I started thinking I would have to try it while still on drugs. I would desperately like to get off at least one...

Alto always says that those cortisol tests are not accurate and I don't really see the point. I bet it is elevated and I bet I suffer from adrenal fatigue but I don't really see what I could do about it. It's another face of WD...

It's strange how one can tell you are feeling better only through the posts :) your tone is somehow calmer and with less urgency than before :)

and when we feel better we are able to look up from our misery and reach out to others. I appreciate your comments so much! I also try to focus on how much less of the drugs I'm taking rather than how much I still have to go...