Utahgal

Being on or tapering neuroleptics ("anti-psychotics")

Utahgal

Moderator note:

Please post any details or questions about your own situation in your introduction thread. It is important that all your information is in one place.

• Feel free to post here, but be sure to copy to your intro.
  • If you see others posting details and questions, please remind them to post in their intro too.

Back to Utahgal's original post:

I'm in the middle of abilify withdrawal. I reduced too quickly and had to reinstate. I'm down to 1.0 Mgs. (Started at 2.0 Mgs). The withdrawals have been awful......headaches, cold sweats, anxiety, sick feeling. Hope this passes soon. I plan to reduce much slower next time with greater hold periods.

IHateSaphris

I was taking Haloperidol  in 1992 for about 1.5 month. Risperidone and Chlorprotixen, then Quetiapine, then Saphris in 2013-2014. Both times I successfully stopped antipsychotics. I have seen other people here who also successfully quitted and recovered.

How did you get off Saphris. I am starting my withdrawal and would like to know how you found success.

Ayaa

How did you get off Saphris. I am starting my withdrawal and would like to know how you found success.

Actually I don’t have any tip for Saphris withdrawal. I simply divided my pill in few parts (it was a problem, because the pill is too soft) and then I was removing 1 part every week till 0. I can’t say that I had any serious problem during my taper (if to compare with other antipsychotics it was nothing). But still I am afraid I tapered too fast. Probably that’s why I had problems later – delayed withdrawal symptoms. I can’t say exactly it happened due to Saphris, because after that I was tapering Prozak and other drugs too.

ang

Following this thread. I'm still tapering my seroquel. Feeling very sick.

Hi Lanah, I am tapering seroquel also, down to 25mg.

I dont know whether to cut again, or hold. The worst is the morning dread/fear/anxiety. And of course the lack of ANY motivation, or joy at doing anything.

Even thinking of doing the dishes gives me a panic attack. How absurd.

NaturalBorn

i'm freaking worried about movement disorders related to ap, i took 2 weeks of zyprexa last year, at rehab took a month and a half of abilify , and seroquel

the seroquel is the only i'm still taking, i'm at 25 mgs, and never went to more than 100mgs, do you think i can still develop TD?? it's really freaking me out since i heard that this can be permanent! anybody ever expirienced TD and recovered?

Missy

I am also trying "again" to taper off Seroquel and having a very hard time due to the insomnia. I've tried a few other times over the past year but my doctor at the time had me do it too fast and I ended up going back to the original dosage of 100 mg. My new doctor is tapering me very slowly. 1st week go down to 75 mgs one night, 2nd week go down to 75 mgs twice until I have reached the 7th week and am taking 75 mgs every night, which I am in the seventh week right now.

I read on here that someone got back on an antidepressant, Lexapro while tapering off Seroquel. I was on Lexapro for about 3 years and stopped it Dec. 2014. Should I get back on it, would it possible help me sleep and depressed mood and would it be easier to get off it than it is to get off Seroquel?

Originally on Lexapro 10 mg (Stopped in Dec. 2014)

Seroquel 100 mg (Still on this one, down to 75 mg)

Klonopin 1 mg (Stopped this one May 2015)

Currently on Seroquel 75 mg (Was on 100 mg for about 5 year's now on 75 mg twice a night bc I wake up and can not go back to sleep)

Flurazepam 15 mg (Been on this a few months)

Xanax .5 mg (Been on this a few months twice a night bc I wake up and can not go back to sleep)

Prazosin 2 mg (Been on this about 6 months)

I am a letter carrier for the USPS, 21 year's with them and I have been out of work since Jan. of this year. I feel like I've been through pure torturous hell trying to get off the Seroquel. My sleep is beyond horrible, I'm naucious, no appetite, no energy, feel like I'm running a fever but am not and can barely function during the day. Should I just push through with this newest slow taper and if so is there anything I can do to possibly regain some sleep?

Also are there any ligit detox place you can go to, to get off all this garbage at once? Once your off say the Seroquel how long (average) before your brain resets it's own sleep pattern?

Thank you,

Missy

Missy's introduction topic:

Edited by scallywag
added link to intro topic

Tootsieroll

Sorry Missy you are going through a tough time. During my worst periods I used a benadryl or half a benadryl with 1mg of melatonin for sleep sporadically. I don't know it they are contraindicated with your other medications but I hope someone can offer some insight on that. Wish you speedy healing and obviously the lower your cuts the better it will feel.

scallywag

I've moved the above posts from another thread. These posts were originally in Antipsychotic survivors? Interested in your stories in the Success Stories forum.

Please remember:  If you post updates or questions about your situation in this topic, please also post those details in your introduction. Copy & paste is a great invention ;)

Marsha

I am relearning skills. I don't know how to copy and paste. Sorry for my ignorance, but I was profoundly incapacitated for long that I need to learn computer literacy. I will get there with a little help. Thank you everyone.

Rico

I am tapering Zyprexa now real slow. I have been on all sorts of drugs in the last 20 years. Psychiatry is criminal.

scallywag

A recent post in the Tips for Tapering Seroquel thread:

I'm here just to tell everyone not to give up. I just started reading these forums a month or so ago to see if tapering down works and indeed it does .I've bin on seroquel for 3 years dosage 125 mg a day . 25 mg 4pm and 100 mg at 11 pm is when I take it. Now I'm at .15 mg at 4 pm and 80 mg at night . Hey that might not seem like much it was hella lot better than my other attempts to quit cold turkey and tapering down at a non realistic way . Keep in mind everyone is different you could have less side effects .

I use a point scale I bought it at the weed 420 store it weighs exactly to the point

I actually tried to taper down more but notice I still had lingering side effects so I decided to taper between 5 and 10 %

Now here are some tips to not screw up You recovery

do not do anything to disrupt ur sleep .

No excessive drinking

No drugs

Exercising a hour a day

Drink water and sugar free drinks

No chocolate

No caffeine

High in sugar food

For a year or so I thought this way gonna be my life

Insomnia , mood swings , sweats , and feeling like crap

I can go on to why seroquel is the devil. But I will save it for the next post .

We will survive.

hopeful7

I found taking magnesium tablets has helped with addressing the insomnia l've experienced since stopping quitiapine. I stopped on the 2nd December 2016.

powerback

I'm a couple of months on from a prescription giving to me for ZYPREXA from my pharmaceutical representative (doctor).

I was extremely disstresd that day having to leave work after months of trying to cope with terrible symptoms,I was basically the closest I've ever been to a breakdown ,by this stage I'm very clued in to the system and I have never taken the drugs .

It's been a tough time but I'm personally proud of myself I've found a different way but that only happened because I'm not listening to these doctors anymore .

I also have a referral letter to a hospital and Ive kept it to look at it every so often to keep me on the correct path.

I totally respect anyone that has been in hospital .My point is these doctors are out of control with over prescribing and the strength is in us to pull through it

ang

I believe I have done it,  yep went back onto half a 25mg seroquel .................          to get me over a hurdle.

Am now working, loving life again, and I will halve the half a tablet, or just wait till have I have annual leave to do it, I am not stressed about going back on the 12.5mg.                

The amount of meds I was on, that damn made me unemployable, and ridiculously spendthrift, and all the rest  :( I think I am a success story.           Early days yet, two weeks at new job, hour and a half from bad memories, is very refreshing.

Son still living where my old life was, so I commute on the weekends.              Was terrified, last week, first week, loving it this week.               3 months till permanency.

Yes you can do it, it is walking through hell every day, oh, but how I feel about life now, is fantastic, I feel ""normal"" again.

Trinities

I believe in "mental diversity" (that is what I learned from Will Hall, a link that Alto gave you).  You can believe in whatever you want, and listen to whomever you want, including voices that nobody but you can here - but when your behaviour crosses a certain line, you GET CAUGHT.  One of the early goals is to learn what behaviours get you CAUGHT and never go there.  Yelling loudly in public places.  Hiding on store shelves behind the merchandise.  Threatening behaviour (even if it is harmless, it makes people uncomfortable).  Publicly proclaiming your deep spiritual belief and asking others to join you in your revelation.  Public self harm.  Crying loudly in a public place but not talking to anyone for hours.  These are just a few examples that I personally have experienced with myself and close loved ones.  If you are on court ordered depot shots, you did something to GET CAUGHT.

If you want to live without depot shots, and without abilify, you need to examine your behaviour among the public - and around your friends and family - to make certain you will never "get caught" again.

This is a real gem, my friends.

You cannot imaging how people are evil.

My best friends, even parents have betrayed me in such ways, that I have NEVERE EVEN IMAGINED - for example: Being nice to me all my life, soothing me one day, and then second day, telling the doctor all kinds of lies, complaining about my low weight, healthy eating behaviour, which ultimatelly got me LOCKED UP!

Doctors THAT NEVER EVEN TALKED TO ME, Made up diagnoses that are just unbelievavle, and no sane mind could even think that it could happen, yet, here we are, on this forum.

Campervan41

I've just found this thread, I'm tapering Respiridone, not from a high initial dose but I've found the taper difficult nevertheless. I've worked full time all the way through. I cope at work ( just sometimes) but I'm like a zombie at home and struggle to get things done. I do have good friends and a social life although I can go through periods of being withdrawn and not having the energy to go out when times are tough. My worst symptom of withdrawal is chronic insomnia and I think if I could just manage to get sleep it would change everything for me. I'm going to hold at my current dose for a while as things have been really rocky with sleep recently. I'm wondering about melatonin, my doctor says it can cause problems with the liver I think which puts me off. I know lots of people on here use it. You can't actually buy it in the UK anyway. I'm going to restart yoga and look at doing a Mindfulness course over the summer to see if that helps. There are 8 week courses you can do over here. I also want to try walking in the country more and reconnecting with nature.

ang

still seems stuck on the 12mg seroquel  (which is a rough guess?)   .........   last of my pills.          In a wave, but the seroquel, like makes my heart race, then I fall asleep, but hey, I reckon the mornings are more nasty.    So quitting it again, and using melatonin at night, then will taper off that.

Wish I hadnt gone back on the seroquel, I actually was sleeping without it.           

apathetic

I'm tapering aripiprazole. I'm not noticing anything special during tapering, besides the side-effects that are slowly going away as I'm reducing. And when I say slowly, I really mean it, they're going away very slowly...

Anyways, by the end of August, I'll be antipsychotic-free. And I can't wait for that to happen, the drug is finally, at least for a bit, going to stop controlling me. It's been the worst when I got off olanzapine cold-turkey, things were awful the first couple of months, I felt really trapped with all the personality loss, cognition problems and similar. The problems got pretty intense after 3-4 months after quitting cold-turkey, which is when the antipsychotic is out of your system completely.

I don't really know what to expect, I'm tapering wrongly because side-effects are truly awful, but I suppose that I'm going to survive this time... At least I know that I won't go back on medication, that was my biggest mistake, or at least not on some dose that's used for treating some condition, if I'm going back - I'll go back on, for example, 1mg, or less. Hopefully I won't.

Is there anyone else here who's tapering neuroleptic ?

powerback
On ‎03‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:11 AM, Campervan41 said:

I've just found this thread, I'm tapering Respiridone, not from a high initial dose but I've found the taper difficult nevertheless. I've worked full time all the way through. I cope at work ( just sometimes) but I'm like a zombie at home and struggle to get things done. I do have good friends and a social life although I can go through periods of being withdrawn and not having the energy to go out when times are tough. My worst symptom of withdrawal is chronic insomnia and I think if I could just manage to get sleep it would change everything for me. I'm going to hold at my current dose for a while as things have been really rocky with sleep recently. I'm wondering about melatonin, my doctor says it can cause problems with the liver I think which puts me off. I know lots of people on here use it. You can't actually buy it in the UK anyway. I'm going to restart yoga and look at doing a Mindfulness course over the summer to see if that helps. There are 8 week courses you can do over here. I also want to try walking in the country more and reconnecting with nature.

I'm far from ok ,but I would shudder to think were ide be if I didn't have nature to walk in ,so that's great you are reconnecting with nature

PB