SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

TweetyRose: Prozac 10 mgs for 5 months, cold-turkeyed, protracted withdrawal

TweetyRose

Hi TweetyRose -

I am here too.  I have been having a rough couple of days.  My latest symptom is my head feels like it is burning. 

I wish I could answer your questions about supplements.  All I know is that all supplements have bothered me during withdrawal. 

Hang in there!

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TweetyRose

• scallywag

• O2bhappy

• Frogie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I saw your post and didn't reply because my answer is "I don't know." ;)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 2 weeks later...

I had no idea that I should taper off of prozac. I was taking it last summer JulY and August and it never kicked in with anything positive

TweetyRose -

I wanted to check in and see how you are feeling. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Hi, I am doing ok. Just trying to hold on.

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

Ok guys, I have a question.

I drank wine heavily for the entire 5 months I took the 10 mg of prozac. Also, I had been drinking for about 4 years prior to taking prozac.

Is it possible that because of that, I may have caused myself permanent damage? Could that be the reason that I have not fully healed 7 months after quitting meds?

I quit both meds and alcohol around the same time. That was 7 months ago.

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

Well, good for you for stopping alcohol.

You will have to be patient   few return to normal within a few months of a CT

7 months is early days. It will get better with time. Just dont panic and run to the doctor or alcohol for relief. Your body is healing.

Try not to worry. You are going to be ok.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

I think the only thing worse than dying is feeling like you are dying every day.

Then still having to care for 3 children at the same time. No help. No family. No friends.

I keep thinking, if I am going to die, just do it already. Im tired of suffering.

I think the only thing worse than dying is feeling like you are dying every day.

Then still having to care for 3 children at the same time. No help. No family. No friends.

I keep thinking, if I am going to die, just do it already. Im tired of suffering.

I tell myself everyday that I will get better. I have been sick EVERYDAY since June, 2016. I'm just starting to taper and I have had 3-4 days that I wasn't sick. Boy it was a miracle!

Read my signature page and you'll understand.

Please don't talk about dying, your children need you. You are all they have.

Hang in there you will get better. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hello. How is everyone doing?

Hello. How is everyone doing?

Hi there!

I'm not going to lie, I'm nauseous, but I know it's only W/D, and eventually it will go away. :)

How are you?

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I'm okay. Just waiting and hoping to get better. How long have you been in withdrawal Frogie?

I'm okay. Just waiting and hoping to get better. How long have you been in withdrawal Frogie?

I was really stupid and cut my Lexapro in 1/2 in June, 2016.

I've been like this just about everyday since then.

It will get better, can't get worse. That's how I look at it. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

We are almost on the same timeline. I stopped mine in mid May 2016.

I hope you get better soon too.

We are almost on the same timeline. I stopped mine in mid May 2016.

I hope you get better soon too.

Thanks...

Did you get a lot of nausea?

Thanks for answering my question. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

No, I do not get nauseous. But, I have headaches, vision trouble on and off, breathing trouble, sensitivity to light, memory trouble, and fatigue.

Oh, and dizziness.

No, I do not get nauseous. But, I have headaches, vision trouble on and off, breathing trouble, sensitivity to light, memory trouble, and fatigue.

I don't get any of those W/D symptoms. When I went down to 9mg (liquid), my nausea went away after a couple of days. Now today it's back, but it's almost time to taper again. I wonder if my body just doesn't like the Lexapro anymore lol...

Thanks for answering my question. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

Hi.  I can't answer for everyone, but I can tell you that I can't tolerate iron supplements during withdrawal which is problematic since my iron was very low.  I have no problem with iron in food and have been able to build my iron that way.  I eat one serving of chicken liver every 4 days ( I know a lot of people think this is gross, but very high in easily absorbable here iron, and I'd rather have something that is viewed as gross than make withdrawal worse).  I also eat 96 % lean hamburger every four days, so it's liver, skip a day then beef, and that pattern.  It has worked and not affected my withdrawal.  There are also many non-heme (vegetarian sources), but it's harder to absorb.  Also separate any calcium or calcium containing foods from your iron source by at least 4 hours as it inhibits iron absorption.  Some may not agree with this plan, but it has helped me greatly, I went from being short of breath and extreme fatigue from low iron to being able to exercise most days.

zoloft 2004-08 tapered too fast(2 weeks)
Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

I am starting to lose hope.

No where to find hope. Everyone expects me to just function as if I am okay. But I am not.

I am in physical pain nearly everyday. And emotional pain as well. I am lonely. I have no where to turn and no one who cares about me. And sadly, I am only 32. Long time to live being lonely and miserable.

TweetyRose -

I can totally understand losing hope.  I have been there numerous times during this journey.  My husband will tell me to just get up and do things, but it isn't that easy.  Some days all you just want to do is lay down and do nothing. 

I know when you are in pain both physically and emotionally it is hard to focus on anything else.  Have you tried any coping skills?  Have you tried any meditation?  Are you able to distract yourself from how you feel?  I know that is a hard one for me.  I tend to spend my whole day focusing on how I feel.

Try not to lose hope.  Everything I have read on this forum says that it gets better.  Hopefully one day all these symptoms will be a distant memory. 

• Moderator Emeritus

TweetyRose, I'm sorry that things haven't improved for you ... YET.  Although it may be difficult to believe right now, you will get better. It might happen in teeny-tiny steps that you don't notice until it feels like all of a sudden some symptom has vanished, or you may observe small improvements over time.

Did you know that the hopeless feeling can be a withdrawal symptom itself?

Neuro-emotions.

Some discussion topics on coping tactics:

Non-drug techniques for dealing with physical pain.

Change the channel - dealing with cognitive symptoms.

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Thanks guys ❤????

One of my most troublesome symptoms is "unfocused vision". It is like trying to read a book while being intoxicated. Thats how my vision feels 80-90% of the time. It has been this way since withdrawal started.

Do you think this is permanent?

• Moderator Emeritus

Vision issues can arise during withdrawal: Vision symptoms -- floaters, snow, blurred or dimmed vision, etc. .

scallywag's Introduction

Hopelessness was a very raw and real symptom for me after I cold turkeyed zoloft, but it didn't hit me until 6 months later and with a vengeance, landing me in the mental hospital for 2 weeks.  I had no idea it was withdrawal, and thought, this is how I am now.  So glad that I know what I know now.  All of this is withdrawal related.  I hope you are having a better day.  

Luvox 5/08 100 mg 07/10 40mg via small reductions, 08/10 39mg, 09/10 38mg, 10/10 37mg, 11/10 36mg,2/11 35mg, 5/11 34mg, 8/11 33mg, 11/11 32mg, 01/12 31mg, 03/12 30mg, 4/12 29mg, 5/12 28 mg, 8/12 27 mg, 11/12 26 mg, 1/13 25 mg, 3/13 24 mg, 4/13 23 mg,6/13 22 mg, 7/13 21 mg, 8/13 20mg, 10/13 19 mg, 11/13 18 mg, 12/13 17 mg, 1/14 16 mg, 3/14 13 mg, 9/14 10.9 mg,  1/15 10 mg, 3/15  9 mg,  5/15 8 mg. 11/15 7.12 mg.  4/16  5 mg, 6/16   4.5 mg,  9/16 4.2 mg, 1/17 3.48 mg, 2/17  3.2 mg,  4/17 2.2 mg, 5/17 2.0 mg, 6/17  1.74 mg, 7/17 1.58 mg, 9/17 1.27 mg, 11/17 1.0 mg,  1/18 0.79 mg

It will be 8 months for me on Friday. I honestly never believed that this would stll be going on.

4.5 months on 10 mgs of prozac and 8 months later, I still have withdrawal symptoms:(

Hi TweetyRose,

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I CT'd Prozac last September after only being on it for a year. I was never informed about tapering or about the consequences of withdrawal so I just stopped taking it.

The last 2.5 months, I've been experiencing all the symptoms you're having. It's so bad and I frequently ask myself if I should reinstate. Do you think you want to reinstate? Do you experience any waves and windows at all? I'm sorry you're suffering at 8 mos. I hope we both survive this.

My medication -- Prozac
August 2015: Started on 10mg/day
September 2015 to May 2016: Increased to 20mg/day
May 2016: Abruptly stopped 20mg for 2 weeks (withdrawal symtoms arose but assumed it was worsened depression)
June 2016 to August 2016: increased to 40mg (my body reacted very badly to this dose)
August 2016: decreased back to 20mg
September 2016: tapered off 10mg this month alone
September 30, 2016: last day of Prozac
October 2016: month long window
November 2016-Present: WD symptoms (too many physical sxs and some mental sxs)
February 5-20, 2017: Reinstated at 1-2mg // February 21, 2017: Back to no meds

• Moderator Emeritus

TweetyRose - have you been keeping notes of your symptoms? Have your symptoms changed in the 4.5 months that you've been on 10 mg?

scallywag's Introduction

I do not want to reinstate. I want to heal naturally.

Yes, I do keep a symptom log. My symptoms are decreasing over time, but some are hanging around.

I do get SOME windows, but even on those days, my vision is blurred. That seems to be the most constant symptom at the moment.I don't get much of a break from that one.

I'm glad that you are getting some windows.  I know that the blurry vision can be frustrating.

Hi TweetyRose,

I've had the blurry vision for many months now,mainly my left eye,it'scrazy isn't it

I worry about it being permanent,also.

you're in early days of WD.this can go on for a long time.

wishing you strength and healing....ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I do not want to reinstate. I want to heal naturally.

Yes, I do keep a symptom log. My symptoms are decreasing over time, but some are hanging around.

I do get SOME windows, but even on those days, my vision is blurred. That seems to be the most constant symptom at the moment.I don't get much of a break from that one.

As you've learned, most medical professionals have little information about or experience with extended withdrawal symptoms. They, therefore, do not advise patients of this risk nor do they understand how slow a taper may need to be. I'm sorry you didn't get good information about how long this would take. Very few of us did.

The fact that you have seen overall improvement in the 8 months and that you have windows are very good indicators that you WILL get through this. This process is frustrating, but please take heart in your progress.

scallywag's Introduction

TweetyRose -

I am sorry to hear that you are still dealing with vision issues.  I had vision issues in the beginning of my Prozac withdrawal.  I couldn't focus on anything.  Over time it resolved itself.  I still have issues with bright light.  For some reason the sun seems so much brighter to me now.  In the beginning of w/d my vision issues really scared me but then when I realized it was withdrawal I was able to deal with it a little better.  It didn't make it any easier but just knowing it was withdrawal gave me hope that one day it would go away.  I think that is what we all need during withdrawal is hope. 

O2bhappy,

That's exactly it--I can't completely focus on anything, vision wise, especially when reading. This has been going on for 8 months. The entire time I've been in withdrawal. Only a few days/moments without it.

How long did yours last?