TweetyRose: Prozac 10 mgs for 5 months, cold-turkeyed, protracted withdrawal

TweetyRose

Hi. I was taking prozac 10 mgs for 5 months. Then I cold turkeyed it (didnt know I had to taper it). I have since been in protracted withdrawal for almost 6 months. I have been getting better.

But, as I heal, I have other health issues that come up, and I am afraid to take medicine  for those issues because I do not want to have any crazy reactions to the medicine. For instance, I used to have a birth control device called ESSURE. I had a hysterectomy to remove it almost 2 years ago. But, I think that the inflammation from the device messed with my hormones causing me to develop acne, dry skin, and excessive facial hair on my face. This was all prior to me using Prozac.

Now, that I am in withdrawal I have been told that I may need to take hormone pills to help the issues I am having with my face. So far, I have been doing well avoiding all supplements and medications, alcohol, etc. while I am in protracted withdrawal to allow my nervous system to heal.

The question is, is it safe for me to take the hormone pills to correct any imbalances I may have? What about taking antibiotics for skin infections (if I need it)? Or if I need any further surgeries (that require pain/numbing meds) for my ongoing pelvic pain after my hysterectomy? How should I proceed? I do not want to face any set backs in my healing, so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by scallywag
added paragraph breaks and tags

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TweetyRose

• scallywag

• O2bhappy

• Frogie

Top Posters In This Topic

Tweetyrose,

Sorry for what your going through.

A staff member will help you soon.

What are your withdrawal symptoms?

Been taking paroxetine 20 mg for 20+ years for depression. Taking 300 mg of wellbutrin since October 2015 for adhd and depression. Take fish oil, calcium, and a multivitamin. Started taking risperidone late January 2015 3mg for a misdiagnoses of bipolar. Started tapering risperidone late July 2016. As of late September tapered down to 2mg at 5% a week off current dose. Oct 21/2016 1.58 mg Nov 21/2016 1.26mg No withdrawals so far.

I had a whole slew of symptoms when withdrawal first started.You name it, chances are I had it. As of now, the remaining symptoms are headaches, anxiety, vision issues with derealization (feeling disconnected), some sensitivity to light/sound, emotional issues, slight dizziness, sleepiness, memory trouble.

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tweetyrose -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Your CNS (central nervous system) has been destabilized by the cold-turkey stop of Prozac.  It is possible that you *may* have a reaction to endocrine medications, such as hormones in contraceptives, anti-histamines, and others. Analgesics and anti-inflammatory medications also interact with the CNS, so you *may* have reactions to that.

If you get a prescription for the pain, be sure to check it first. Some psychiatric drugs, such as Cymbalta an SNRI, are prescribed for pain. Ask your doctor lots of questions and check the medication online at drugs.com before filling the prescription or post questions here. At lower doses (<120 mg) Cymbalta is an SSRI, the same class of anti-depressant as Prozac.

Unfortunately there is no way of predicting whether you will have a CNS response -- a worsening of symptoms -- to a medication. It may be helpful to be familiar with some common symptoms during withdrawal:
What is withdrawal syndrome
Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list
Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems

As you probably know from the last 9 months, recovery is not linear. This topic discusses a pattern of symptoms that we call "Windows and Waves":
The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

In the interest of being complete, here are a few links to relevant topics:
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?  
Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

SCALLYWAG Thank you. Do you know if the chronic inflammation from the essure birth control device will stop my recovery from prozac withdrawal?

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

From what you guys know, what sorts of things will slow down or stop recovery?

• Moderator Emeritus

Aside from experience that shows slowly tapering has a lower risk of creating symptoms, all anybody has is best guesses about CNS recovery.

There has been insufficient funding to research this because most research is done by pharmaceutical manufacturers. They are interested in getting products approved for sale, not in helping people successfully stop buying their products.

scallywag's Introduction

So, I guess, in my case, only time will tell.

How can I tell when my CNS is completely stabilized again?

• Moderator Emeritus

A stabilized CNS means that you will have few symptoms, no symptoms, or no wild swings in symptoms day-to-day or hour-to-hour within a day.

Please post your medication and withdrawal history in a signature.

If you are using a phone or mobile device, you need to switch to the "full" or desktop version of the site. Instructions are in Post # 8 and Post #9 of the signature topic

scallywag's Introduction

Okay. Thank you.

This may sound like a dumb question, but, I am thinking about getting laser hair removal on my face, do you think that it will have a negative impact on my CNS?

Also, do iron pills cross the blood brain barrier? I may need to take those as well.

Also, do iron pills cross the blood brain barrier? I may need to take those as well.

Hi:

They say not to take iron until you have blood work done to make sure you are not anemia.

I take magnesium and omega 3 krill oil.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I am noticing that my short term memory seems to be getting worse. At one point it was better, but now it isn't.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I am noticing that my short term memory seems to be getting worse. At one point it was better, but now it isn't.

I take Lexapro. But my short term memory is bad some days.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I take Lexapro. But my short term memory is bad some days.

I am in withdrawal. I do not take any medications. I want to know if this is happening to those who are completely off meds and in withdrawal.

I was told that this is the best place for my withdrawal questions, but I am not getting very many answers for my questions. I am not sure what else to do

I am having trouble with my short term memory lately. I had this in the beginning, but then it got better. As of late, it has worsened again. Has ANYONE experienced anything like this? This is really scaring me.

• Moderator Emeritus

People experience symptoms after having completed discontinued medications. This is more likely when someone has stopped suddenly, "cold turkey", or discontinued by a fast taper.

Here is a link to a topic where others have discussed Cognitive problems. Please note that the topic was started in 2011, and some who have posted are no longer active on the site; regardless, their comments may be helpful.

Also possibly relevant:

Post-acute withdrawal symptoms/syndrome .

Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms .

scallywag's Introduction

Thank you

Hey guys, my family drove to Reno today for Thanksgiving, and since I have been here as well as during the drive, I feel like I am not getting enough oxygenb (slightly labored breathing) and my anxiety level is high. I'm not sure what caused this or what to do about it?

I experienced that anxiety breathing (what I now call it) and felt like I was not getting oxygen as well.  Even went to ER.  Took a while to connect the dots.... withdrawal hell.  Anxiety coming and going as well.  

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD = NOW only on TRILEPTAL 450mg began w/900mg 7/16 -- off LITHIUM 600mg (sometimes 300mg 5/15 -11/16 took 2 months to taper) .... XANAX 2 mg for 2 weeks but addicted in 6/16 tapered 7/16-9/16 JUMPED 9/30 (believe have kindling from previous benzos)
6 meds nightly for INSOMNIA includes XANAX .. BELSOMRA 20mg c/t 8/20/16 off & on for a yr ZANAFLEX 8 mg /SILENOR 6mg/PROZASIN 15 mg/DOXEPIN 50 mg on all nightly 2 months 6/16 - 7/16 except for silenor (year) wd ALL 8/16-9/16 w/pdoc help
c/t KLONOPIN .5mg which began INSOMNIA end of 3/15 after on for 4 months also horrible sound& light sensitivity sometimes took 2 or 3 reinstated & then c/t@hospital 5/15 on TEMPAZEPAM/SEROQUEL/LITHIUM when left hospital tolerance to temazepam after 1 month given ATIVAN in hospital& later
SEROQUEL started @ 200 mg and overnight to 800 mg had horrible akathasisia & rash DEPAKOTE 1000 mg off after few wks ALL I COULD ENDURE
then AMBIEN side effects & tolerance on for few months 5/15 - 8/15 and then again 2 mos 5/16 LATUDA 3/16 on days BAD/GEODON 4/16 on less 2 weeks BAD AKATHASIA/ZYPREXA bad mouth shaking almost 24/7 off & on few months in 2015 & again in 2016
trazodon/remeron/gabapentin/sonata/lunesta did nothing to help INSOMNIA so got off after few days - also short time SAPHRIS BAD 
MEDICATION SENSITIVE & have paradoxical side effects -- CANNOT TAKE BENZOS, ATYPICAL-ANTIPSYCHOTICS, ANTI-DEPRESSANTS
PAST prior to 2 yrs on Prozac even1/4 pill caused BAD ANXIETY, CELEXA OK, Abilify, Pristiq, Lamictal, Paxil BAD - more but can't remember

Hi TweetyRose.  You were asking about short term memory problems and it is common in withdrawal. Many have experienced it but it usually gets better over time.

It might ease your mind a little to know that others here have been through it. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7043-brain-fog-blank-mind-comprehension-cognitive-and-memory-problems/

If you're suffering anxiety , try some deep breathing. This link is worth reading.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/3270-shortness-of-breath-and-other-breathing-issues/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12191-breathlessness-anyone/?hl=%2Bshortness+%2Bbreath#entry227494

Guided meditations can also help to calm and de- stress.

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

This video gives a general overview of the healing process and withdrawal :

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery/

Happy Thanksgiving

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

You too! I hope you had a wonderful one

• Moderator Emeritus

TweetyRose -- I received your PM. I will answer your questions here in your introduction topic so that all your information stays in one place. 

Withdrawal symptoms can last for many months; for most people they are temporary. Typically the symptoms intensify and weaken in a pattern we call waves and windows.

The Waves and Windows pattern of stabilization

Most people experience full recovery at which point they have no symptoms. Unfortunately no one can predict what your symptoms will be, how long or intense a wave will be, nor is there a way to predict how long it will take your CNS (central nervous system) to fully recover to a symptom-free state.

Please read:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

scallywag's Introduction

• Administrator

Hello, TweetyRose.

Are you in your forties? Pre-menopause can cause "foggy brain" for a time.

Have you tried fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Antibiotics are iffy. Some people sensitized by withdrawal syndrome find antibiotics very destabilizing.

You may have developed facial hair after the hysterectomy because of a drop in estrogen. Electrolysis or laser treatment to remove it would be less destabilizing than taking drugs or hormones. (Laser treatment works only on dark hair.) If you take hormones, which can have mood effects, be very careful to work with a doctor who will order blood tests to check hormone levels periodically, and who will use the lowest effective doses.

Otherwise, you will need to listen to your body and help it heal. Be sure to eat fresh food, lots of green vegetables, and avoid food additives.

You may have felt poorly in Reno because of stress. Many people find holidays with relatives to be stressful.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata. Thank you for your feedback. I am 32. I had a hysterectomy to remove a "permanent" birth control device. However, I do still have my ovaries. It is possible that I may need to check/address my hormone levels. Perhaps thebsurgery affected them.

Every night for some weeks now I am afraid to go to bed because I feel like I am dying in my sleep. I hate bed time now. I get light headed, dizzy,my head hurts, and I feel like Im not breathing normally and my heart will stop at any second. Its terrifying. I don't know what to do

• Moderator Emeritus

You've described symptoms that can be part of withdrawal. I'm sorry they're arising at bedtime because none of them is conducive to sleep.  :mad::angry:

What non-drug techniques do you use to deal with symptoms?

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms -- work for cognitive and physical symptoms as well

scallywag's Introduction

I just try to breathe and try not to panick. I will take a look the link.

Also, eating carbohydrates and sugar tend to make this worse, ESPECIALLY if I eat near bedtime.????

• Moderator Emeritus

Hmmm, well you've got one good clue about one factor that triggers or worsens this.

scallywag's Introduction

How likely is it that a person never heals from this?

What if they were sickly prior to taking antidepressants? Do some people just not ever recover full health?

Also, can I do a detox bath? Or is it likely to make my symptoms worse?