TweetyRose: Prozac 10 mgs for 5 months, cold-turkeyed, protracted withdrawal

TweetyRose

Im sorry im asking so many questions (see above questions) but i keep thinking of new things to ask about.

For instance, does anyone else experience headaches, vision issues, and breathing trouble symptoms? If these things would cease, I would feel so much better

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TweetyRose

• scallywag

• O2bhappy

• Frogie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Those are all possible symptoms during withdrawal.

You may find it faster to search the site when you have a questions about whether others experience the same symptom. Use either the site search function, or a web search engine (google, bing, etc.)  If you use a web search tool, include as search terms both the symptom and

site:survivingantidepressants.org

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Do you think an Epsom Salt Detox bath will be okay?

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

I wish I could answer you, but to tell you the truth the mods would know more than anyone.

I hope you feel better soon. :)

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Moderators:

• Moderator Emeritus

An Epsom salt bath isn't so much a detox bath as an alternate way of supplementing magnesium. If you choose to do an epsom salt bath, start with a smaller amount, ½ or less, of the salt in the water than what is recommended on the package.

There are several posts in the Magnesium topic that mention epsom salt:

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Scallywag,

The one im talking about has menthol, lavender, chamomile, and epsom salt.

Do those ingredients sound okay?

Also, the most constant symptom I am having is vision disturbances. Its like I see things in 2D instead of 3D. Or like looking through a glass window. R, like being drunk and sleepy trying to read. Is this a common thing in withdrawal and does it go away?

• Moderator Emeritus

The ingredients of the bath product are fine. How much are you going to add to a bath?  My suggestion was that you start with an amount less than recommended on the package. Those amounts are probably okay for people who aren't tapering medications.

Vision symptoms topic on SA

scallywag's Introduction

Scallywag,

Thank you. I don't plan to use the full amount. It will be less than what they recommend. Just to be cautious.

However, lately I find that my anxiety has been getting worse. Ive been having this feeling that I am not getting enough oxygen and feeling light headed, low energy, heart palpitaions, and just a general feeling of impending doom. I feel scared and on the verge of death often. I am 6 months off meds cold turkey. What is the likelihood that I will die from withdrawal?

• Mentor

Scallywag,

Thank you. I don't plan to use the full amount. It will be less than what they recommend. Just to be cautious.

However, lately I find that my anxiety has been getting worse. Ive been having this feeling that I am not getting enough oxygen and feeling light headed, low energy, heart palpitaions, and just a general feeling of impending doom. I feel scared and on the verge of death often. I am 6 months off meds cold turkey. What is the likelihood that I will die from withdrawal?

hi although these symptoms can be very frightening they are not dangerous.

I have have all of the feelings you describe during my withdrawal, esp the feeling of not getting enough oxygen which is very hard to describe to someone else

you will be fine, but if you can learn some ways to calm yourself down, you should feel a lot better.

Check out the sections on ways to deal with symptoms:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

if you can, try not to get upset about every withdrawal symptom. I Know it's hard but everything you've mentioned is a common symptom for many of us going thru it, and we are all doing ok,

We are all recovering and you will too!

Your brain is doing what it needs to do to recover from being on the drug and stopping it abruptly, but even stopping it slowly, and tapering, can cause all the same symptoms.

the symptoms are proof that your brain is working to heal itself.

it's best to try to focus on other things when you can, and when you have a distressing symptom, just remind yourself, that's my brain, doing recovery work!!

my brain wants to heal itself and in time, it WILL heal and all these odd sensations will be gone

hang in there, sometimes when things seem the worst, a change for the better is right around the corner!!

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Catnapt,

Thank you. I am just so frightened. At what pointbshould I go to the hospital when I feel this afraid for my life?

• Mentor

Catnapt,

Thank you. I am just so frightened. At what pointbshould I go to the hospital when I feel this afraid for my life?

what do you think they will do for you at the hospital?

If you are afraid you may harm yourself, by all means, call someone and make sure that you are safe. please

However, if you just feel  as if you might be dying, You would have better luck with this:

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/music/FirstAidPanicF.mp3

Feeling afraid is just that, a feeling. It's very uncomfortable, I know, I've been there. But if you can remind yourself that it's ONLY a feeling, and is a normal part of healing from going off the meds,

You can wait it out and it will be gone.

if or when it comes back, do the same thing, make yourself think about how it's just a feeling, it's not harmful, feelings don't harm us-

and feelings ALWAYS pass.

just give them time, they will pass.

don't worry, these feelings are awful but they are not dangerous, they will pass.

try to distract yourself, or do deep breathing, or try some guided meditations.

here's one I just tried today that is very nice and soothing:https://youtu.be/OoM57Z8dRUY

PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME PRIVATE MESSAGES, thank you. 

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Thank you catnapt

The hard part is the heart palpitations and breathing difficulties to go along with the feelings

TweetyRose -

I am 15 months into withdrawal from Prozac.  I have experience many of the symptoms that you are describing.  With regards to the breathing difficulties have your tried deep breathing exercises or mediation?  Over the summer I was having a very hard time taking a deep breathe.  It scared me but I kept telling myself that this was part of withdrawal.  During that time I had a hard time going to bed.  I would feel like I wasn't getting enough air.  There were even times that I was gasping for air.  It did eventually go away, but I still get it from time to time. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Synthroid for hypothyroidism.

Do you guys think trying a different med other than prozac will make my withdrawal symptoms stop?

I am 6 months out from my last dose of prozac.

• Moderator Emeritus

Short answer: No.

Long answer:

1. Because of its long half-life (4-6 days) and the half-life (4-16 days) of its active metabolite, Prozac is "kinda-sorta" self-tapering. For this reason, fluoxetine (Prozac) is frequently the medication that doctors prescribe as a switch when someone is trying to discontinue medications.

2. We don't generally make medication recommendations on this site.

scallywag's Introduction

TweetyRose -

From what I have read on this sight I wouldn't advise on introducing a new medicine during withdrawal.  What the moderators suggests is going back on your original antidepressant you were on and on a smaller dosage. 

Discontinued Fluoxetine cold turkey after taking it for 12 years. Stopped taking Fluoxetine in August 2015.

My current withdrawal symptoms: Itchy skin, smell hallucination, hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia, and anxiety. 

Scallywag,

I am aware of what they say about prozac. However, if that is the case, why am I having such AWFUL withdrawal symptoms:(

I took it 4.5 monthsbat the lowest dose. Been in withdrawal over 6 months :( :( :(

TweetyRose -

I am 15 months into withdrawal from Prozac. I have experience many of the symptoms that you are describing. With regards to the breathing difficulties have your tried deep breathing exercises or mediation? Over the summer I was having a very hard time taking a deep breathe. It scared me but I kept telling myself that this was part of withdrawal. During that time I had a hard time going to bed. I would feel like I wasn't getting enough air. There were even times that I was gasping for air. It did eventually go away, but I still get it from time to time.

Are you still having a lot of withdrawal symptoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

The lowest dose is different from country to country. What dose were you taking, 10 mg?

You are having awful withdrawal symptoms because your CNS (central nervous system) adapted very quickly to the presence of Prozac over the 5 months you took it and you had bad or no advice about how to taper off it.

Did you have a look at the links I posted on November 25?  The descriptions there may help you understand what is happened in your CNS when you were on Prozac and what's been happening since you stopped.

scallywag's Introduction

I was taking 10 mg the whole time. I tried to go to 20 mg *once*, but it gave me jitters. So I stayed at 10 mg the entire time.

I'm starting to feel like I am permanently brain damaged. Like I belong to the unlucky group of people who never return to their former selves. ????????????

I seem to be getting worse these days. Not better. My memory is shot, I can't breathe properly half the time, I am extremely fatigued, my vision is weird, Im still sensitive to light and sudden noises, I have heart palpitations and anxiety, every night at bedtime I feel like I am dying, I am not emotionally stable, and I feel like my life is over in general at 32 years old.

TweetyRose -

Yes I am still experience withdrawal symptoms.  Some have improved while others have remained the same.  The ones I have can even change from hour to hour. 

Oh2bhappy,

You were on meds 12 years, right?

Yes...12 years.

I took my meds for roughly 5 months. I hope my withdrawal doesn't last much longer. I want to go back to my old self.

TweetyRose -

I can understand wanting to get back to your old self.  I have felt that way for a long time.  I am sure that will happen for you but it will just take time.  I know when you are feeling awful you don't want to hear it takes time you want to feel better now.  I have been in that position many times.  I still get that way from time to time now.  I will have a pity party because I am tired of feeling bad and just want to feel better now.  Sometimes I have to take a step back and realize just how far that I have come.  You should read my intro page when you have time.  You can see my times of desperation. 

Thank you OH2BHAPPY

Just out of curiosity, how long should I wait before I know if my recovery is complete or if I am permanently stuck this way?

1 year? 2 years?

TweetyRose -

I don't have an answer to your question.  I am still struggling with withdrawal and dealing with new symptoms 15 months off the medicine. 

You only took the medicine for 5 months so hopefully your withdrawal symptoms won't last as long. 

Do b complex vitamins damage the brain or act in the brain like an ssri?

I wouldn't think so, but I'm not an expert.

I can't take b vitamins, they make me sick.

Take care,

Frogie xx

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Can any moderators answer the above question?

Does ANYONE know if Iron pills are activating in withdrawal?

I am iron deficient and need to take iron pills

Hello....anyone there???

Hello....anyone there???

I'm here. :)

I have restless legs. My biggest problem is my nausea. So I don't mention a lot of stuff.

I wasn't nauseous at all yesterday awesome:)

Today I am. :(

Take care,

Frogie xx