Hopeful

Acupuncture

Terry4949

I have had a acupuncture session yesterday for the first time , I explained to him about w/d and told him I only wanted calming treatments , I said I was looking to reduce headaches , body irregularities, he went through my history and listened and I made sure he fully understood the situation, he place 14 needles in my back, a couple in my feet and wrists for 1/2 a hour , then that was it , the thing about 6 weeks ago my night sweats stopped and the night time shaking also , but last night I woke up shaking soaked in sweat , hot and cold and gone back to how I was , can acupuncture make you worse , I have a another appointment for next week , but I feel I have undone the progress that I have made , should I cancel or perceive ,

scallywag

Please read the entire thread from the first page.

It's possible that the therapist gave you stimulating treatments. If you return,

• tell them what happened and ask him/her to for a treatment to reverse it.
  • Also ask him/her NOT to do stimulating or detoxifying treatments.
  • Ask for calming treatments.

Hibari

Hi SC,

I've been meaning to respond to your post.  I hope you are feeling better since your acupuncture treatment.

In my own experience, I find that the night of and the day after a treatment, I sometimes feel worse.  Not horrible, but tired, spacey and forgetful.  Then the two days later I feel great. 

This is after going to acupuncture weekly for about a year.   I had to educate my acupuncturist about withdrawal and she was open to learning.   She often talks about stagnation in the body and that acupuncture releases that stagnation.  Though I am not an expert and I can only offer my opinion, maybe your body was shaking off or letting go of some heat that was released through the treatment.   

Overall, I have acupuncture to be very supportive during wd and I feel it has helped me heal.  

Wishing you healing.

Hibari

Sean

I have a acupuncture appointment in the next couple of weeks and was wondering what are the differences between a calming and stimulating treatment? Also, what exactly is done during a detox treatment?

The dr. I'm going to see sounds very receptive and open minded, so I'm pretty encouraged by that. She has a lot of years of practice, along with her husband who practices at a cancer treatment facility here in town, so that alone makes me feel easier that they are a couple with a lot years experience combined. I'm mainly going to help with the headaches/migraines that I've been getting since WD's, but also because I'm tapering off topomax and thought this would be a good time to kinda supplement my body with something more "natural" as I do that. I started getting kidney stones, and after doing research, found that it is a side effect from topomax. The dr. never informed me of this, but shame on me for not researching more at the time. I was so confused and helpless and out of my mind that I was willing to do anything when the WD's were at there worst. 

btw, thanks ChessieCat for pointing me to this thread! :)

SkyBlue

Hi Sean, 

The cool thing about acupuncture is that it can help multiple, seemingly unrelated things at the same time, like a sinus infection and sore shoulder. Very different from the way we usually think of things!

I usually ask the acupuncturist to help me deal with the most pressing withdrawal symptoms at that moment, alongside the overall goal of hormonal balance, which has been my greatest concern in withdrawal. 

1. Acupuncture generally works by calming the system and letting the parasympathetic (rest-and-digest) system to take over and allow the body to heal itself. I'm not that familiar with stimulating treatments, but generally in withdrawal we want less stimulation, not more. However, sometimes they can insert needles on the top of the head and this can help quiet the emotions and "stimulate" the calmer, wiser, less emotional side of our system, so that's one instance where a treatment can be stimulating.

2. "Detox" can mean different things and can actually have no meaning at all (our liver is technically "detoxing" our systems every minute of every day). I would be careful with "detox" techniques during withdrawal -- our WD symptoms are evidence of our brains having to traumatically readjust to differences in drug levels, and we usually don't want to try to "speed up" those processes in any way. 

3. I don't think there's any "shame on you" for not researching things. We are taught to trust professionals, and that's what you did. I think that's what everyone on this site did. : )

Let us know how it goes! 

I love acupuncture so feel free to ask any more questions and I'll be happy to share my experiences!

Hibari

Hi Sean,

I love acupuncture too and have been going pretty regularly during my withdrawal.  I did have to educate my current acupuncturist about medication wd.   She was open and read the links I sent her from this site.

I agree with Sky Blue, it is not a good idea to do any kind of detox treatment while in the heart of withdrawal.  This is where holistic practitioners get confused.  They sometimes view medication wd the same way they view someone quitting smoking or drinking.  They think that the body will simply release the substance/medication and using a detox protocol  will help. 

What many don't understand is the medication-brain remodeling piece.  They often don't understand that antidepressants and mood stabilizers are not just used by the body but incorporated into brain functioning. 

Be easy with yourself about not researching  and knowing about the potential of kidney stones.  I was very confused when I was having to make decisions about medication and did the best I could. 

Sean

Thanks for the info, Sky and Hibari :)

I went to my second appointment last Friday and things feel a bit "off" for me. The first time I went, I ran out of the migraine med that I'm tapering off of so I was without that for 5 days. So it was hard to gauge how effective the acupuncture treatment was based off that since I felt bad being off the med. I did notice I got the hiccups a couple of times the following 2 weeks...nothing to be alarmed about though. Then after my second treatment, I started getting the hiccups more frequently and now I've been hiccuping since 2pm yesterday and it's now just after 11am. Has this happened to anyone before? I googled this and couldn't really find anything on it other than possible nerve damage. Other than that, I just felt bad for a few days afterwards. I did ask for no stimulating/detox therapy, but I think my body is still just really sensitive to things right now. I may wait until after I've completely tapered off the migraine med before I go back, if I do go back.

Hibari

Yes, you may have to and it's good to honor your choice to wait.   I recently added in another body treatment (cranial sacral)  to my healing regime and it destabilized me too much.

Sometimes even "healing" treatments are too much for our sensitive systems.  I used to think that as long as it was considered healing it was good for me-NOT TRUE! 

Now I really understand how important it is to listen and respect our bodies even when we want to make it better.

SkyBlue

Thanks for the info, Sky and Hibari :)

I went to my second appointment last Friday and things feel a bit "off" for me.

I did notice I got the hiccups a couple of times the following 2 weeks...nothing to be alarmed about though. Other than that, I just felt bad for a few days afterwards. I did ask for no stimulating/detox therapy, but I think my body is still just really sensitive to things right now. I may wait until after I've completely tapered off the migraine med before I go back, if I do go back.

Hi Sean, you're very welcome. :)

Hibari, I think that is a really important point you made about listening to our bodies. (I haven't had cranio-sacral but would like to try it sometime. Probably not right now though.) 

I'm including a link to an article on "how to know if acupuncture is working." It shows a lot of effects that acupuncture might have. There can be "bonus" effects like better sleeping, more alert, etc. I haven't heard of hiccups increasing, but anything is possible, and I think it's smart that you're listening to your body in terms of when to return. http://acutakehealth.com/how-to-know-when-acupuncture-is-working. 

Edited by SkyBlue

kesh

Thought I'd post as I've been having acupuncture for a couple of weeks, three times a week.

I explained everything to the acupuncturist, the meds, the disabling anxiety and brutal insomnia. Within 5 minutes of her putting the needles in I was as relaxed as I have known. Within 10 minutes I was fast asleep.

It doesn't last. I've had really bad days since beginning acupuncture. But if I felt like that all the time I'd basically be fixed.

I don't know what to make of that.

Prozacboy

Has anyone had really marvelous results with acupuncture? I have tried it a handful of times with no huge impact so far but they tell me it may take some time to work (sorta like these god awful drugs themselves!) Looking for some hope that an acupuncture guru can make my pain go away. 

kesh
1 hour ago, Prozacboy said:

Has anyone had really marvelous results with acupuncture? I have tried it a handful of times with no huge impact so far but they tell me it may take some time to work (sorta like these god awful drugs themselves!) Looking for some hope that an acupuncture guru can make my pain go away. 

See my post above yours. I can only report on the immediate effect, not the day to day effect. But it's been so powerful that I am hopeful it is working in a longer term fashion.

Prozacboy

I wish you all the best and happy to hear it has had short term benefits. Has anyone seen long term improvement attributable to accupuncture? 

Terry4949
2 minutes ago, Prozacboy said:

I wish you all the best and happy to hear it has had short term benefits. Has anyone seen long term improvement attributable to accupuncture? 

I believe alto has had a lot of success with acupuncture for various things.  But I believe you need to educate the person doing the treatment that you need calming treatments and nothing that is stimulating on the cns , I don’t think it will get rid of your withdrawel but may help alleviate headaches overheating etc ,

Prozacboy
4 hours ago, Terry4949 said:

I believe alto has had a lot of success with acupuncture for various things.  But I believe you need to educate the person doing the treatment that you need calming treatments and nothing that is stimulating on the cns , I don’t think it will get rid of your withdrawel but may help alleviate headaches overheating etc ,

Yes I have described this to my acupuncturist and he understands.  Has anyone been fully healed with acupuncture?  I am looking for my central nervous system to be rebalanced. 

Prozacboy

I just had an accupuncture session and a couple minutes into the session I had a full minute of brain zaps. I’ve had plenty of these before so wasn’t alarmed, but it was certainly a lot of them right in a row. It suggested to me the treatment was doing something with my neurotransmitters which I’m hoping proves helpful! Will report back. 

Rabe

Im wondering if anyone has had experience with acupuncture with use of lights and EMDR.  Started seeing a therapist 2 weeks ago and she did some of the lights and EMDR and since Monday my anxiety and symptoms from rapid benzodiazepine taper in Sept have returned full force, including the electrolyte imbalances.  Im not quite sure what is what....if anyone has thoughts would appreciate it.  But seems I wake up in AM and don't feel too bad and then I take the Viibryd at 11am and about 2 hours later feel more agitated and then after 4 to 5 hours things really take off.  Then they settle and then worse again after the premarin at 9pm.  Just had another grandchild and it is so difficult to have this and I feel like I feel nothings day goes on as well.  

Rabe

And my ears actually play musical notes! But not a tune Im interested in.  I can't even imagine moving soon!  

Dabhob33

I’m in the process of preparing for EMDR.   The therapist is collecting info from me and we should be in the process soon.  Will let you know.  

ChessieCat
3 hours ago, Dabhob33 said:

I’m in the process of preparing for EMDR.   The therapist is collecting info from me and we should be in the process soon.  Will let you know.  

If it is EMDR only, ie not in concert with acupunture, please post in this topic.emdr-has-anyone-tried-this-eye-movement-desensitization-and-reprocessing-therapy

Dabhob33

I’m going to do Acupuncture for now 

bheb

Has acupuncture ever caused anyone numbness?

I've got a weird numb tingling feeling down the back of my left leg and the inside of left arm ever since one treatment. I went back and they didn't know what happened.