SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Purehope: Introduction and questions

Purehope

I'm new here and appreciate the time people take to help others who are struggling!

As of June of this year, I discontinued paroxetine after slowly reducing to about 1 mg. Now I'm having severe anxiety and insomnia again. It's so bad so that I went to the Dr. to get a prescription. She prescribed lexapro (generic) and ambien (generic).

Now after reading more about lexapro I don't think it's a good idea to take this. I might just try the ambien because of the severe insomnia, constant waking and feeling of dread.

The Dr. is very cautious with meds, and knows I don't want to be on this stuff. But, she thinks it's more important that I get rest even if I just take the meds for a short time. But I know the risks.

I've tried every natural supplement under the sun--nothing works. I've tried ibuprofen and a little benedryl but it doesn't help much.

Should I reinstate paroxetine to 5 mg instead of lexapro (generic)? Or just try 2.5 mg of ambien (generic)? i desperately need sleep.

11/2013 - 10mg paroxetine, severe anxiety, insomnia
4/2014 - Fast taper, 5mg, 2.5mg, then stopped. Brain zaps for a couple of months
12/2014 - 10mg paroxetine, for severe anxiety, insomnia
5/2015 (approx) start to taper about 10% each month
1/2016 4mg paroxetine, tried to stop, severe vertigo, continued to taper approx 10% each month
6/2016 1 mg. (approx) stopped completely
12/2016 Severe anxiety and insomnia, reinstated 5mg of paroxetine, increased to 10mg in January 2017

3/18/2017 Replaced 10  mg paroxetine with 10mg of fluoxetine, no taper-brain zaps and a.m. anxiety

8/31/17 Continuing with 10 mg fluoxetine. Considering a taper starting in September.Supplements, magnesium, multi, vit d&k

8/2018 - Approx 1.5 mg fluoxetine,12/2018 (approx) Discontinued fluoxetine No medication since end of 2018.

• Moderator Emeritus

Purehope -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Your last dose of Paxil was 1 mg in June 2016 after tapering by 1 mg per month from 10 mg. Please do not reinstate 5 mg Paxil. It's been about a year since you were taking that much and your CNS (central nervous system) has been making changes to adapt to the absence of Paxil. Please look at these links to learn about that process:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"
Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants

Many people in withdrawal find it helpful to take omega 3 fish oil and magnesium.  If you choose to do that, pick one to start with and start with a low dose.
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

What is your symptom pattern, if any? Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:
Take notes of doses and symptoms

Once we get a better understanding of your current symptoms, we'll be able to suggest a reinstatement dose for you to consider. A quick word of caution: reinstatement works better soon after the last dose; with more time after the last dose, the results become less predictable, i.e. the risk of further destabilizing your CNS increases. In the meantime, please read the discussion at this link to understand reinstatement, its benefits and risks.
About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What natural approaches and sleep hygiene techniques have you tried to deal with insomnia? If you can make it work, avoid the Ambien. After as little as 2 weeks, it will become another medication to taper.
Tips to help sleep

Here's information on the medications you're currently considering:
Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)
Tips for tapering off Z drugs for sleep (Ambien, Imovane, Sonata, Lunesta, Intermezzo, etc.)

Although you're leaning toward NOT taking escitalopram, here's the link to our topic on that:
Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I've given you a fair amount to think about and to read, so I'll stop now.  If you have any questions, please ask them here in your introduction so that all your information stays in one place.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the response. I really don't want to reinstate paroxetine or start another nasty drug.

I only used ambien one night. It was horrible.

So it doesn't seem like I'm in withdrawal, so I don't know why these symptoms are so severe. It almost seems cyclical as it happens in the late fall/winter.

Sleep is very difficult and I awaken a few times at night with panic attacks. I'll get some better curtains to block the light. I've read just about everything regarding sleep on this forum. I do have sleep apnea which i treat with a dental appliance.

During the day I feel very anxious and hopeless. Sometimes I think like I'm never going to feel better.

My family and faith in God keeps me going. But everything just seems overwhelming.

4/2014 - Fast taper, 5mg, 2.5mg, then stopped. Brain zaps for a couple of months
1/2016 4mg paroxetine, tried to stop, severe vertigo, continued to taper approx 10% each month
12/2016 Severe anxiety and insomnia, reinstated 5mg of paroxetine, increased to 10mg in January 2017

3/18/2017 Replaced 10  mg paroxetine with 10mg of fluoxetine, no taper-brain zaps and a.m. anxiety

8/31/17 Continuing with 10 mg fluoxetine. Considering a taper starting in September.Supplements, magnesium, multi, vit d&k

8/2018 - Approx 1.5 mg fluoxetine,12/2018 (approx) Discontinued fluoxetine No medication since end of 2018.

Welcome to this site.  If you are going to push through without re-instating or switching, I am sure you will find plenty of support, help and encouragement here to help you do this. 

You said you don't have withdrawal?  how often do you get the anxiety and insomnia as these are my 2 worst w/d symptoms at present.

Keep your faith as this will also keep you strong!

1995-2007      20mg Aropax/Paxil for pain.  Years of up and down doses

2008                Endep, Lexapro and then Esipram (hell!) CT (oh dear!)

2009                20mg Aropax.  Tried skipping doses for a year (more hell!)

2010                10mg.  10% taper.  Lasted 4 months. Crashed again

2011                5% taper. 9mg-7mg (hell got even worse!)

2012                2.5% taper.  6.6mg – 5.6mg (worser still & unbearable)

2013                5% taper.  Big mistake.  5.5mg – 4.6mg  (even worserer)

2014                2.5% taper.  4.9mg – 4.5mg;    2015 2.5% taper 4.4 - 4.0mg

2016                2.5% taper.  3.9mg  Feb 3.8   Mar 3.7  May 3.6   Jul 3.5

2017                2.5% taper.  Jan 3.4;   Mar 3.35;  Apr 3.3; Oct 3; Dec 2.9;

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

2019                Jan 2.2; Feb 2.1;

• Moderator Emeritus

Anxiety and insomnia are often symptoms of withdrawal, i.e. they arise after discontinuing an SSRI such as Paxil.  Many people benefit from reinstating a very small dose, "the hair of the dog that bit you."

Please read these links (also posted above) to understand why Paxil's absence is probably the cause of your insomnia.

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

I didn't have the severe anxiety and insomnia until the end of November after quitting in June. I had trouble sleeping but nothing like this unbelievable feeling of panic when I start to drift off to sleep.

I don't understand this because I wasn't on the AD for that long.The need for meds started after an exposure to some toxins and situational trauma when the panic feelings/insomnia started. So my point being, the origin of anxiety wasn't withdrawal of paxil.

So if I reinstate, would you suggest a small dose of paxil around 2.5mg? Or should i try a different AD? I am barely functioning and I'm very scared. Will I ever feel okay again?

• Moderator Emeritus

You may find others in the same situation: Delayed onset of withdrawal symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

I appreciate the encouragement grandmaD.

Thank you Scallywag for the info about delayed withdrawal symptoms.

So this might be a delayed reaction. But it doesn't really matter at this point--I'm feeling so horrible and there's no clear cut solution.

I think the best choice is to reinstate the paxil. You said in a previous post that you thought 5 mg was too much. What would you suggest?

• Administrator

Hello, Purehope.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

People whose nervous systems have been stressed by withdrawal might be overly sensitive to other drugs, even Ambien. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

One thing that's very important is to get off the computer early in the evening. When your nervous system is sensitized, late night computer use can be very disruptive to sleep.

If all else fails, you might consider 1mg Prozac rather than Paxil or Lexapro to take the edge off Paxil discontinuation syndrome. Paxil is a horrible drug; you've been off it so long you might as well switch to Prozac instead. (Lexapro is a very strong SSRI.) If it helps, you can taper off by very tiny amounts with Prozac liquid.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hello, Purehope.

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

People whose nervous systems have been stressed by withdrawal might be overly sensitive to other drugs, even Ambien. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

One thing that's very important is to get off the computer early in the evening. When your nervous system is sensitized, late night computer use can be very disruptive to sleep.

If all else fails, you might consider 1mg Prozac rather than Paxil or Lexapro to take the edge off Paxil discontinuation syndrome. Paxil is a horrible drug; you've been off it so long you might as well switch to Prozac instead. (Lexapro is a very strong SSRI.) If it helps, you can taper off by very tiny amounts with Prozac liquid.

Thank you. I have read all of the info about sleep. Feeling desperate with panic attacks all throughout the night - it's horrible.

I started back on the paxil 5 mg. for the past two nights. Is it too late to try to switch to prozac? I'm not sure my Dr. will switch prescriptions for the third time.

• Administrator

How has the 5mg Paxil affected you?

No, it's not too late. But if you're getting good results from 5mg Paxil, might be best to stick with it.

Any doctor can prescribe a psychiatric drug, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

How has the 5mg Paxil affected you?

No, it's not too late. But if you're getting good results from 5mg Paxil, might be best to stick with it.

Any doctor can prescribe a psychiatric drug, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist.

Since it's only been a couple of days, it's hard to say. The symptoms are still really bad but it probably takes a couple of weeks to feel any difference. Hoping it takes the edge off the panic feelings so I can sleep.

I am sorry to hear about your situation but if it is any consolation, you said you feel hopeless and anxious throughout the day and I have been experiencing that for pretty much the whole 5.5years I have been going through a super-slow withdrawal. 

I don't get panic attacks every night recently as I have been holding for 16 weeks now, but before that I would be super tired but after 1 or 2 hours of lying in bed trying to sleep I would begin to feel relaxed, but then suddenly have a huge surge of palpitations, anxiety and breathlessness - similar to panic.  I would have that same experience now and then through the night, especially around the 2-4am time and not be able to get back to sleep.

I haven't been able to take fish oil for some time now but am starting to re-instate that so will see if that helps me. 

I am keen to see how the 5mg paxil helps, if it does as I did try and updose once during w/d but got worse, but I only updosed 1mg.

2018                2.5% taper. Jan 2.8; Mar 2.7; Mar: 2.75; Jun 2.7; Aug 2.6; Oct 2.5; Nov 2.4; Dec 2.3

• 2 months later...

Well I ended up going back on the paroxetine from 5mg to 10mg. Now the Dr. thinks fluoxetine is better since I'm so tired.

Now I'm on 10mg. of fluoxetine. I think I'm withdrawing from the parox. and adjusting to the fluox. I thought it would be easier to taper off of fluoxetine in the future. Brain zaps are frequent and I'm afraid of experiencing the severe vertigo like I did a year ago after 4 days off parox. It was terrifying.

I wish I didn't reinstate to 10mg parox. But I was barely functioning and now at least I can sleep.

Very discouraged right now. I'd appreciate suggestions about the med changes and how to manage symptoms. Should I stick it out with the 10mg. of fluoxetine? Will that be easier to taper off of in the future?

• Moderator Emeritus

Purehope, thanks for the update. It's hard to know whether you'll have an easier time with fluoxetine than you would have had with paroxetine.  Individual neuro-bio-chemistry and medication history seem to play a role but their influence hasn't been quantified.

Thanks for updating your signature to show the recent switch to fluoxetine. You'll need to be patient it will take some weeks for you to notice any change in your symptoms.

Many people find it helpful to supplement with magnesium and omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil).  Start with one or the other at a low dose.
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker.

The Symptoms and self-care forum has many topics in which members discuss symptoms and what they've tried and what's worked.

One of the best ways to find information on a specific symptom is to run a google/bing search on the symptom and to include site:survivingantidepressants.org as a search term. Adding the site will force pages from SA to the top of the results.

Here's our topic on Brain Zaps.

scallywag's Introduction

Scallywag, when you do a switch from paxil to prozac, do you still get withdrawal from the paxil?  My Dr. has wanted me to do this switch for a long time now and asked me again just last week about dong it.

Purehope, do you feel better on the prozac?  How has it helped and what is worse?  It is interesting you can sleep better - that is one thing I could do with!

Thanks Scallywag for the info on how to search. That is very helpful.

GrandmaD-The fluoxetine is not helping. I'm tired all of the time, still getting brain zaps. The paroxetine helped with sleep-now I'm in withdrawal and after adding fluoxetine, I'm not sleeping well, have bad dreams and severe anxiety in the a.m. (With paroxetine I had really good dreams which was nice.)

Dr. wants to increase dose of fluoxetine to 20 mg. They say just give it more time :-). Of course I believe this stuff is doing more damage in the long run.

So, should I increase to 20mg of fluoxetine? I feel like that is just going to muddy the water even more as my goal is really to stabilize and start to taper.

I'd also consider going back to 5mg of paroxetine then very slowly tapering off.

• 5 months later...

I've stayed on 10mg of fluoxetine for a few months now. it definitely helped to transition off of the paroxetine. I think I'm ready to begin a slow taper of 10%. i will definitely take it slow and follow the guidelines for tapering.

The fluoxetine takes the edge off the anxiety and I'm sleeping better with about 1 mg of melatonin. Hoping for the best!

• Moderator Emeritus

If you are feeling concerned about tapering, you could always try a smaller reduction, eg 5%, to see how things go.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 3 years later...

I've been off of meds since the end of 2018. I have mild sleep apnea but I can't tolerate the masks and dental appliances didn't help. Once I'm awake at 3:00 or 4:00 am, I cannot get back to sleep. Averaging 5 - 6 hours of broken sleep.

I'm feeling incredible anxiety after my son moved across the country a few months ago. I'm unable to sleep and feel completely hopeless; sobbing several times throughout the day and feel like I'll never get through this. (He's newly married to a sweet young lady and is happy and safe.) I don't believe I'm suffering from withdrawal--maybe this is just a grieving process. I'm married with kids still living at home, so I'm not alone.

I've tried MANY types of supplements, herbs, magnesium, valerian root, melatonin, homeopathic remedies, but nothing helps.

People tell me I should consider medication but I know that is a temporary fix. I would appreciate suggestions for coping and managing these horrid symptoms.