SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Protracted withdrawal theory

Terry4949

I know on this forum somewhere that they will be a article on this subject , but my question is so that I can find the meaning and understanding to this , where did protracted withdrawel come from and what proof is there that it actually exists, now I don't want people thinking that I don't believe in it as I do , I have been suffering badly for 3 years no windows and I feel I am getting worse , but we now are being told that there is no chemical imbalance as there is no way to check for a chemical imbalance , so if you can't check for a chemical in the brain how do you no if it is or isn't , I have read on here what happens to people in protracted withdrawel but who actually came up with syndrome and what actual evidence do they have that this is happening , if we can't map the cns and can't detect a chemical imbalance , how do we no it is receptors struggling to get back to normal , I have read many books and articles on depression , anxiety etc like most people on here , every author is a expert as we know but one expert will slate another and say that his or hers theory is wrong , I also no that my withdrawel is nothing like normal depression as I have become very sick from it, from being a hard working fit man to someone I don't even reconize, I am fully aware of what these evil drugs have done to me a my life and I put the blame solely on the medication , but getting back to the point who figured this out , what proof does he or she have , as I say nobody actually knows what causes depression , I know people can get it from bereavement , under active thyroid etc , there are many reasons but has protracted withdrawel really been proved , if so why is it not reconize by doctors , phyciatrist etc , why isn't it standard protocol to go to if a person is possibly in protracted withdrawel or do doctors think it's a myth if so why . I am not looking to pic a fight or start a argument on here and I have not got a bad thing to say about this site and I am full of admiration for everyone involved and regards to the exceptional work and knowledge that they provide , but I just wondered on this theory , I'm sure that someone will be able to answer my question , thanks for listening

2001 to jan 2015 Effexor 150 mg 

jan 2015 15 mg mirtazapine 20 mg quetiapine 

feb 2015 quetiapine stopped 

feb 2015 30 mg of citalopram added 

feb 2015 mirtazapine increased to 30 mg 

july 2015 citalopram stopped 

sept 2015 200mg of pregabalin 

jan 2017 mirtazapine stopped

jan 2017 20 mg fluoxetine

march 2017 all meds stopped 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

has protracted withdrawel really been proved , if so why is it not reconize by doctors , phyciatrist etc ,

It is starting to be recognised.  The British Medical Association is making some progress: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/10347-british-medical-association-publishes-paper-on-prescription-drug-dependence-and-withdrawal/  I think there has been further work done since that paper, but I can't find it today.  I know I read it on SA sometime before Christmas.

Change will happen, but it sure is slow!

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy